Strength & Conditioning Routine

Hi,

Does anyone have a (fairly) simple strength and conditioning routine which they do daily (or maybe even only 2 or 3 times a week) which targets the main muscles and joints that we runners use? Ideally something that is less than 20 minutes long and can be easily performed first thing in the morning/last thing at night ie. not in a gym.

I have had a succession of niggly injuries over the past 6 months and am thinking that it may be fundamental weaknesses that are the root cause, rather than the nature of my training.

Alongside this, I am arranging a physio appointment to try and have my biomechanics analysed to get some more specific exercises, but I wondered if anyone had a simple set of generic exercises that they would be willing to share?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi AD

If you look at Athletics Weekly dated October 27th there is what I consider to be a decent set of exercises in an article by Eilish McColgan. Message me if you can't access a copy. She does advocate the use of a Swiss ball, which needs space to store!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Thanks Aley - I'll try and look it up.

I have put together a 20 minute session from various articles in RW and other running magazines and I intend to do this 3 times a week (ie. on my non-running days) and try to make it part of my ongoing routine.

• Also, AD, if you can lay your hands on the P&D book (Advanced Marathoning, Pfitzinger and Douglas), chapter four, "Supplementary Training" is helpful! Often seems to be overlooked as people go straight to the "plans" sections.

Good that you are dedicating time to a strength/flexibility routine, but I feel that you need to have warmed up before you stretch. Wonder what others think! Maybe one for the Middle Ground Thread!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good call re: physio, Andrew! image

I now swear by strength training to support my running. I follow the book "Quick Strength for Runners" by Jeff Horowitz - it does say you need all sorts of bits and pieces, weights, bosu ball, stability/Swiss ball, etc. but I get by with simple dumbbell/free weights only.

My lovely physio (a godsend - as indicated elsewhere) recommended Pilates classes - and these are also excellent for strength and mobility... highly recommended as well! I do one session from the book and one session of Pilates each week.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at something similar. A friend of mine has recommended an app called yoga studio. You play the class on yoyr tablet. It has 10 specific classes for runners. It's about £3 so I might have a look at that.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I would highly recommend Pilates for strength, conditioning and flexibility of the core to supplement your running. Once you have learnt the basics (by going to beginner classes) you can then do a couple of sessions a week at home and you don't need any kit.

• Thanks all - I will look into the various suggestions. I know this is an area that I have neglected to date, and am sure that it has contributed to injuries, so it is something I do really want to make a part of my weekly routine.

• Here's a core strength routine that's a pretty good use of 10 minutes.

I did a few Bikram yoga classes recently, which I think helped with flexibility (especially in my calves/ankles) and balance. Would probably consider carrying on beyond the introductory offer if it wasn't so expensive, but I'll settle for incorporating some of it into my stretching routine instead.

• Phil - not sure my abs would stand up to completing even the first exercise, let alone the whole routine! Something to work up to though!

• It's actually pretty tough.  Try doing a minute of "flutter kick V-sit".  Oof!  Definitely something to work up to, but very useful.