Options

Effect of weight loss on times

I've been running for a few years with a marathon pb of 4.50, HM 2.02, 10k 54:00 and 5k 25.30. I'm pretty steady at 25 ish miles a week unless in marathon training. I am however very overweight and these times have been run at about 18 stone. I am currently 17 st 6 lb (hopefully on a long road to a more sensible weight) and to be honest already feel a bit swifter in training runs. I just wondered if anyone had experience of losing excess weight and what happened to their times? I don't plan to change much in training, other than being consistent. Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options

Assuming you are average build and height you could make massive improvements.

There are statistics on how much a stone of weight saves you in a marathon, I can't remember the article but it was significant. That was just the carrying of the weight. Assuming you lost a lot of the weight from training, you also have the aerobic endurance improvements on top.

That marathon time also looks slow compared to the shorter distances as well.

• Options
    I think I've seen it written as 2 secs per mile per Lb of fat lost.

Sounds plausible.

Your mara time is way wonky compared to your half - I'm guessing your training wasnt as thorough as it was for the half ?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I once worked it out for me that when I lost a fair bit of weight, my improvement in times could all have been attributed to the weight loss!  That was a slight kick in the teeth, but then I was able to improve my times some more whilst maintaining that weight.

• Options

Surely the usual drop off from HM to marathon time is only accentuated with excess weight? You're using a huge amount of energy to travel 26.2 miles. I'm sure one of the advantages of losing weight would be to reduce this drop off in pace.

It's very difficult to quantify the effect of weight loss on performance IMO, since it's rare that other variables remain unchanged.  My race times have improved dramatically with weight loss but I've got there through a steady increase in training volume, as well as healthier eating, which has obviously got me fitter.  The less excess weight you're carrying, the more training you can do without increasing chance of injury.  Double bonus.

• Options
    That's really useful advice everyone and thanks for the link - that suggests a modest (for me) 2 stone loss would save 25 minutes on marathon before factoring in training effects The hm to marathon time is pants and partly that is due to me running the marathon in a stupid way, going too fast and then running the half pretty much spot on. That only explains part of it though I feel and I agree with Phil that carrying excess weight on the marathon hurts you more. I'd be fairly happy to get better times through weight loss alone but understand it's hard to quantify due to other factors.
  • Options

Good luck with the weight loss.  I didn't start running until after I lost the majority of what was needed, but I've since found that having something other than weight loss to focus on as a target, i.e. race performance, has itself made weight management something that takes care of itself.

cougie wrote (see)
    I think I've seen it written as 2 secs per mile per Lb of fat lost.

I'm only looking for 31 seconds off my PB for VMLM 2017. Just need to go a little easier on the peanut butter and jam sarnies.  image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It really depends on the weight lost in the form of fat.

For me it was a simple %.

If I dropped 2% due to fat loss, I had the potential to go 2% faster.

I say potential since it also required some adjustments to running style/ co-ordination to get there.

🙂

• Options

Lots of good comments so far... but just to add my two penn'orth...

I lost about 30% of my original weight and knocked an hour (pretty much exactly) off my HM time and just under half an hour off my 10K time. I did do training, albeit rather erratic, when I was very heavy - but the weight loss made training easier and therefore more enjoyable and it became self perpetuating to do more and more training.

This was mainly achieved by religiously monitoring my calories in vs calories out (myfitnesspal) and more consistent running (supported by Pilates and strength training).

Good luck with losing a bit of heft - I highly recommend it!!! image

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
  • Options

Colin, were you not taught at school to read the question properly?

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

The key issue is the difficulty in disagregating (1) the benefit of being lighter from (2) the increase in training that helped cause the weight loss in the first place.

The solution would be for someone to don a weighted jacket for their weekly ParkRun, and measure the difference in time. I can't imagine it'd be a pleasant run tho image

P.s. Colin - not sure your comments were either polite or insightful.

• Options
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

It wasn't a reply to a question, it was a set of remarks.

You are just repeating back to me what I have pointed out to you. Why would you make remarks that don't address the OP's question? 

Surely you could just set up your own nutritional information thread offering your expertise, that way people you choose to listen to your insight.

• Options

I find it makes  a bigger difference over the marathon than the shorter distances....like Phil Pub suggested above

when i lost weight it was the only time that my marathon time matched more with the shorter distances......

and it wasnt really much to do with training as I always put the miles in....

I wasnt as heavy as the OP..but my weight does fluctuate over about 20lb

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Chris2304 wrote (see)

The key issue is the difficulty in disagregating (1) the benefit of being lighter from (2) the increase in training that helped cause the weight loss in the first place.

The solution would be for someone to don a weighted jacket for their weekly ParkRun, and measure the difference in time. I can't imagine it'd be a pleasant run tho image

P.s. Colin - not sure your comments were either polite or insightful.

As a bit of a laugh, my club did a 1-mile time trial recently, where everyone who ran weighed the same so the lighter people were made heavier with weights, up to the weight of the heaviest person who was running.  It was just a bit of fun, but the results were quite amusing and some of the lighter runners (who were made heavier) were half dead at the finish.

• Options

I know that was a laugh but to be realistic I reckon the weight would have to be evenly distributed around the body. Or more accurately proportionately distributed.

You would need some kind of weighted fat suit rather than carrying some stuff in a backpack or whatever. I am curious as to how you carried the weight?

• Options

I reckon a 10 stone person carrying 3 stone of weights is gonna have a much harder time than a 13 stone person without.  Besides the body composition differences, you're never going to be able to distribute the weight as efficiently as excess weight distributed evenly (sort of) around the body.

I did consider - for about half a second - entering the international wife carrying contest, but my gf is too light so they'd have to handicap her with tins of beans or something.  image

• Options

Wouldn't you also need to marry her?

• Options

Oof!  Can of worms!  imageimage  

...Bugger, just looked up the rules:

• The wife to be carried may be your own, or the neighbor's, or you may have found her further afield; she must, however, be over 17 years of age.

So it needs to be someone's wife. I think I'd feel uncomfortable carrying someone else's wife.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Reg, it was mainly backpacks with sugar in, and running with dumbbells. One lighter chap had to carry nearly 5st, which didn't go well at all!! Another chap weighed his 2 year old, and used him as part of the added weight that he had to carry....

So, yeah, it wasn't scientific in any way but just a bit of a laugh. It didn't account for height, weight distribution or anything but the village pub did a roaring trade that afternoon!!
  • Options

Phil... she must be tiny if she is too light.....its very low I seem to recall..........about the weight of my left leg

• Options

7st something........imageimage

• Options

Yeah, 49kg minimum and she's about 46. Six tins of beans please! image

• Options
    Love the experiment Big_G. Who won in the end? My guess it was someone towards the heavier end of the spectrum, but not quite the heaviest?
  • Options
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Chris, yes. 4 of the fastest 5 were in weight order (so the heaviest person won). There was one chap who came 3rd who is a very quick runner (and quite light) and I don't know how he did it with the extra weight he was carrying.

The lightest person came last, by quite a distance.

Not sure if it proved anything, but it was a good afternoon image
  • Options