Hi all newbie here.

2»

Comments

• Welcome tjubix. JGav is spot on. I've heard it's 10 posts you have to make before you can start a new thread but I'm not at 10 yet so can't be sure.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    tjubix - you can't start a new thread until you've posted a few times and you have more stars against your name.   It's to stop spam and idiots like the one above your post here who is not a runner.    You could search for a thread on the same topic that you want to discuss and post on that thread.
  • Since I can't post a new thread yet I want to try it this way...

I'm an an intermediate/experienced runner.

I have a specific question about running and VO2 max / hitting the treshold:

Is it possible to "feel" it in your breathing when you hit your VO2 max level while running? And if yes, how should it feel like?
    Is it possible to "feel" when you hit your treshold heartrate? And if yes, how should it feel like?

I'm asking this question because I think I can feel it in my breeding when I hit my VO2 max level, but I'm not sure if what I feel is really me hitting my VO2 max. What I feel is I'm really starting to gasp heavily while hitting a limit. My lungs are trying to get in more air, but they just can't. It feels a bit like choking, like if someone is squeezing your trachea/windpipe. Has someone experienced the same feeling when you really push towards the limit? After the gasping I can still push on until I reach HRmax.

thanks !
  • I am a newbie also I am 27 and never been a runner and today i went on my 3rd run. From couch potato to runner. I literally had zero exercise for 6 years now and wasnt working. I ran 3 miles today in 38 minutes so I am proud of myself. My calves hurt like crazy though. I hope by spring to run a 5k in 30 or less minutes. 
  • Newbie here saying hellloo - i like the allocated profile picture - i have an eye patch so i'll keep that!! Anyway i've decided to give running a try at 53, never run before, had a crap year and need to get motivated, so i've chosen running. Shoes delivered today after several pairs sent back as i don't live anywhere near a decent shop for a fitting (and evidently the shops opinion on wide fitting isn't that accurate because all the mfctrs have a different idea of wide...that said my plates are a size 7 and are 4" wide...), i'm going for trails out here in the sticks, i have no interest in road running at all but had a hard to time finding wide fitting trail shoes, i settled on a pair of Innov8 275 GTX (that i picked up on Wiggle for £84 - they only had size 7 so that was a bargain.) They are a "standard" fit but a 5 on their "fit scale" (the widest fitting on Innov8's fit scale) and ive changed the supplied 8mm footbed with thinner Ortholite footbed out of my walking boots and they seem good now, (and i can tell you the Salomon Speedcross WIDE are not wide at all - i could barley get my foot in) I'm going to break them in (and myself) with a couple of weeks walking / running combined before i start setting any specific running targets at all, i usually walk 5 to 6 miles every day at the moment ;). I have a loose plan to do a 10k before the years end... :# . See you on the trails..