Options

Bob Graham Round

Hi peeps
I'm currently training from the FLM and hoping for a 4hr time, so am quite fit. So after that i'm looking for a new challenge and as i love mountians and the lake district i thought eh BGR would be a good plan - for next summer (2005). The only problem is i'm going to Mexico for 3 months from July - October ish and haven't got time to run nearly as much as i would if i were at home.
Will I be able to manage the BGR on training from late October to June? Is June the best time to do it?
Or am i better off leaving it till 2006?

Any BGR advice would be vey welcome!

Ta!

Comments

• Options
    It will depend what background you have on the hills - have you done any of the long fell races or mountain marathons? The amount of training needed will depend on the base you are starting from.

Friends of mine that have done recent BGs can do London in about 3.30 or less, so I would put 4hrs on the slightly slow side - but if you can keep that up for 24hrs you'll be fine!

Where abouts do you live? It's difficult to prepare for this type of event without the support of experienced people - half the battle is arranging the logistics of pacers/food/road support/accommodation/apres BG beer....

• Options
    Hi Muddy, I would spend several weekends in the area and scope out the route piecemeal say in 4 hour chunks as part of your training, I have found whilst doing long off road runs that it is psychologically that you fall down if you have prepared properly physically well, so knowing what is coming can be a great help and allow you to concentrate your effort at the correct points.
    A four hour marathon time (slighty sub 4) would, if you have the stamina, be good enough to complete the BGR in 24 hours, you just need to do the hill training, lots of hillwalking is great for time on your feet.
    I would also suggest cycling, MTB preferably, (1-3 hours) as part of your training plan, to toughen the quads etc.
    I could go on but if you are well prepared as Macc Lad opints out their is no real reason why you cannot achieve the BGR.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks guys ;-)
    It all sound logical. I live near the Peak so can technically get lots of off road stuff done adn am quite happy to spend time in the Lakes. I'm sure if i wasn't going away for three months i'd be fine its just when i come back i'll have to start all over again. But when i do i'll make sure i run up (and down) lots of hills!
    I presume running one a bit of it for pracitce would be a good plan.
    I do all my running on my own at the mo' and none of my friends are runners (fell or otherwise), any suggestions as to a good fell running club to join in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire area?
  • Options
    Hi Muddy,

I forgot to say - check out the website I maintain for the macclesfield harriers - you'll find some schedules on there for the BG so you can get an idea of the pace you need to go at. See http://www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk/mh/fell/bobGraham.html

Search for bob graham round in google and you'll get more info too.

We tend to do a clockwise attempt starting around 6pm - convenient to finish the following evening for the pub!

As far as clubs go, you are the other side of the peak from me, so I can't really recommend any unless you can get as far as buxton/sheffield (dark peak)/staffordshire moorlands who I know are active on the fells.
  • Options
    Hi Muddy

I live in the High Peak, but most of what I call my "first" fell running career was spent in the Lakes. It took me three attempts over 2 years to do a BGR, so I'd say be prepared to fail at least once, and use it as a learning experience.

What you won't find in the Peak District is anything that comes near the scale of the Lakeland Mountains. So I'd advise a number of visits so that you can get a feel for them - they are completely different animals. The closest you'll probably get is Kinder, and the second half of the Edale Skyline (but even thats a bit tame in Lakeland terms since they paved part of it)

As to clubs - I'd recommend Dark Peak, they have a good number of BGR's to their name, and a lot of them are still active competitively in the Lakes - so they will be able to give up to date info. Alternatively you could try Buxton, Matlock, or Totley (Sheffield).

Also join the Fell Runners Association. Its £12 per year. The magazine often has quite a lot of BGR information in it.

I wish you luck, its a great feeling when you complete it.......
  • Options
    I don't know any BGRers who weren't already long-term mountain men so can't say for sure what sort of training you would need to do. However, long days in the hills at whatever pace are probably more important than long runs. We walked well over half the route on our round in '99 and it is said that you should practice three things for a BGR - climbing, climbing and climbing! (And you don't run the climbs unless you're going for time.)

We recced most of the route over a three-day weekend but knew a lot of it already which helped.

You will almost certainly need some good pacers unless you're going solo (but I would strongly advise against that without a good few years' experience in the hills).

As for timing, you ideally want dry weather and a clear night with a reasonable moon. Obviously maximising daylight is important but more night with a full moon is (IMHO) better than a shorter, dark night. (One of our chaps didn't even use a torch on the night legs.)

We went for a midnight (12am Sat) start so that we could bump it up to 12 hours if weather dictated without losing our pacers. The biggest downside was not getting enough sleep the day before and being VERY sleepy towards the end.

We were lucky with weather (it broke on the final leg with lightning as we crested Skiddaw!) and got three of us round on our first attempt but that's unusual.

There is some stuff from our round at www.LeanMeanRunnerBean.me.uk/bgr, if you're interested.

It is definitely worth all the pain ... !
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, the web links were really useful and club info too.
    I'm going to get some serious hill in when i come back from Mexico. But i'll be starting from nothing then (3 months of no running arrrrgggggghhhhhhh)

it sound good, and pain is only temporary.
    One other Question - are walshes best? I've noticed other brands have started to do fell running type trainers and it strikes me that walshes don't have a lot of padding and i'm REALLY heavy footed.
  • Options
    I know a lot of people who swear by Walshes and a lot of others who swear *at* them!There have always been many alternatives including different sorts of Walshes (racer v. trainer, classic v. new Xtreme, at least two different stud patterns, shoe v. boot) and offerings from New Balance, adidas, Reebok (used to, anyway), Running Bear (the old Felldancer), Inov8 (the only recent entry to the market, AFAIK) and others (I don't know what orienteers are wearing these days).

I think the Inov8s are more like regular trainers than traditional studs so would be worth a look. But bear in mind that the minimal midsole on studs has a reason - low foot plant gives more stability so fewer turned ankles.

I tend to use Montrails (trail shoes) for walking/jogging in the hills and might use them for a BGR now. One of the chaps I did my round with even went the whole way in road flats (he was lucky it was dry!).

A classic case of YMMV!
  • Options
    Try some out because you have 24 hours on you feet and if there is not enough padding well you nkow the rest...
    Shoes to try - recommended - Inov8 Mudroc, Adidas Swoop, NB fell dancer, even some of the trail shoes that are on the go can be good, the Saucony Jazz 6000 is a good compromise as well.
  • Options
    I've done the odd x-country in asics mesa trail things. They were OK but not when its really muddy, i ended up bout an inch taller by the end! and did a bit of running in the Pentlands near edinburgh in normal trainers - but like lmrb said it was dry most of the time so not too bad. Wouldn't want to come down the front of Yewbarrow in normal trainers - or indeed many of the paths in the lakes.
    Will take a look at the ones your suggested - never one to pass up an opportunity to spend money on trainers!
  • Options
    Not wishing to appear really blonde and dense...but what is the Joss Naylor? I know who he is so i assume its a form a fell race? In the Lake District? Whats it like?

• Options
    Ah its ok, Google is a wonderful thing...
    But is it really for over 50s only - or did i miss something?
  • Options
    A future target of mine if I can get the time to train in the correct environment (flatlander). I did my first AL last October at Langdale and enjoyed it but it was very tough and I got cramp on the last climb. Shoe wise I had a pair of Nike Terra Tupu which were OK for a short race in the early summer but were very poor on wet rock (they were also getting old by then and worn) I got a pair of Walsh for the cross country and they were fantastic for that although narrow on my feet. Yet to test them on the fells but will be doing so after the FLM.

Good Luck with the training and keep us up to date with your progress.
  • Options
    I've just bought some of the Inov8 mudrocs and they definitely have different characteristics than walshes and swoops.

Generally I find the performance of walshes the best, but mine keep falling apart. I'm looking for a shoe that the sole doesn't fall off of.

The mudrocs have a more shaped sole compared to the flatter sole of the walshes. I've found that on muddy/slippy ground this doesn't quite grip as much as the walshes. I think this is down to less of the sole being in contact, but might be due to the different stud size/shapes.

I also feel the sole is less grippy on wet rock than the walshes.

The mudrocs seem quite responsive though and look better made than the walshes. Although people say they look more like trail shoes, I wouldn't put them in that category, the sole is still low profile.

In terms of feel, I'd put the mudrocs between the stiffer walshes and the slipper like swoops.

Inov8 do make a range of shoes now and do have trail shoes in the range.

On the mud collecting front, I wouldn't worry about that - it depends more on the type of ground you are running on rather than the shoe. I run around my parent's house in Dorset and collect 3 lbs of mud on each foot. Running in the peak district or the lakes, the mud doesn't stick.