P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Welcome Sorequads. We all know you from Lit's report. My program probably won't resemble P&D at all but I still do some sessions and apply some of the principles.

Madbee - I agree that nothing will replace a proper long run but I'm just trying to get the most out of the time available. Will try to get in as many as possible closer to the race.

Reg - I'm a bit concerned about injury too. Pushed a bit in the last couple of reps last night. Probably unnecessary at the end of a 22 mile day. Will have to be careful.

Sun was out at lunch today down here, although it was a bit windy. 6 easy miles with a few strides.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Cross post there lit. You're right, there is no point in doing 800s at MP, it's just to fit the session into what I'm trying to achieve. I'm hoping to get a bit more focus to my training in the few months before London. I want to be doing 50-60mpw at the moment and found I was struggling to get that much running in. I guess I'm just toying with the idea of doing a big day on Wednesday and am trying it out at the moment.

• Just gone for a quick paranoid check of my Chester race report to make sure I was nice about Josh and didn't call him a massive fucking tigger or anything. All looks fine though. image

• Ha! Don't worry Lit, I had already read it as a lurker. Would have stayed clear of the forum had you really told the truth. 

Thanks for the welcomes. Gradually progressive 7.5M for me today. Penultimate mile at MP, final nearer MP than HMP. Errr... how do you run at a 'normal' race speed again?

• Ooh new thread, how exciting! I’ll be doing Brighton again in the spring - it’ll be my third time there, and I’m aiming to go sub-3 (has a nice ring to it, right?). Will be using the P&D 18 week, “85+” plan which tops out at 105 miles I think. image

Welcome Sorequads! Never heard of anyone enjoying those Steve Way sessions image They do seem effective though, when P&D stops yielding gains for me I definitely plan to give them a go.

I’ve now fully left London. Very mixed emotions driving back yesterday, but spending the whole evening holding my new nephew confirmed to me I’d made the right choice. My run today felt a bit better than the last few, still slow but HR much better, so hopefully I’ve reached the bottom of the curve and things will start to pick up again. Running around the Severn as the sun set and a rainbow formed was also rather more scenic than my usual run through Holloway!

• So this is where you all are.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Back again NE.

Sorequads - Just had a look at those Steve Way BAC sessions. I like the look of them and will look to include some of them in my plan, probably replacing the P&D style LT sessions. Cheers for that.

Spoon - Surely the rainbow is a sign you've done the right thing. Kudos for having a go at the 85+ plan.

I see Joe's got the Queenstown marathon this weekend. Good luck.

Should we start a spring race list?

HA77: London, sub 2:40, DIY plan

• Wow - that'd be mega mileage runspoonrun. Enjoy! Not sure exactly where you are, but I was running around the Severn in Worcester this week - great paths for it. 

HA77 - replaing the LT sessions was my thought too. Will see how it pans out in reality. 

8 lovely sunrise miles along the canal this morning. Very pleased with the sun timing it's appearance so well. Headtorch rapidly on the way out having forgotten to charge it  

Sorequads: London, 2:50, 18 week 55-70 (mostly)

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of miles Spoons! Good luck with it.

Have woken up with a cold. At least it explains why last nights intervals felt harder than they should have.

Millsy: London, 2:54. 18 week 55-70 (will be tweaked to ensure I'm in good shape for a 10k and Half PB attempts)
  • HA77 - Yes I'm usually a bit too cynical and logical for "signs", but it was a funny coincidence on my first run since returning! 

Sorequads - I'm in Worcester, just relocated after nearly 10 years in London. I'm living very close to the Severn, and yes the lovely flat, generally quiet paths are perfect for running!

Re the 85+ plan, now I'm working from home all the time my schedule is pretty flexible, so as the higher mileage generally seems to have suited me so far I figure it's worth a go while I have the flexibility to try it. A lot of the extra miles come from additional short recovery runs as a second run for the day, so if I find it's a bit too much I can easily start dropping those.

Best run since Frankfurt today, still slow but HR generally matched perceived effort. Wonder if I was more tired and/or stressed about the move than I realised and that was impacting the running? Anyway, onwards and upwards image

RunSpoonRun: Brighton, 2:59. 18 Week, 85+

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭

I'm in! Unlike you poor buggers though I get to train through summer so those pre 5am starts are not so dismal. Will be doing the same P&D plan for the 3rd time but with more hilly runs. 

I can also look forward to a 50k trail ultra the month after - almost 7 hours of grind this year and almost killed me at the finish... so really looking forward to it again but only to cross the finish line with my kids in tow  

JohnOz: Boston, 2:59, 55-70 18 week

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

HA77: London, sub 2:40, DIY plan

Sorequads: London, 2:50, 18 week 55-70 (mostly)

Millsy: London, 2:54. 18 week 55-70 (with tweaking for 10k and Half PB attempts)

RunSpoonRun: Brighton, 2:59. 18 Week, 85+

JohnOz: Boston, 2:59, 55-70 18 week

• Muddy - London sub 2.50 P&D inspired DIY plan up to 60-70 mpw
  • Lurking with intent here. Have followed the P&D 55 - 70 for my last two marathons (Edinburgh and Manchester). Have entered Brighton but just trying to build fitness and stay injury free over the next month or so before beginning more serious training.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Just back from 7 miles in a thunderstorm-exciting!

Tom: London-Sub 2:40, 18 week 55-70 mpw.

First Beer o'clock of the new thread!image

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    I'm in!

Hoping to follow the P&D 85+ programme but really struggling to get it to fit in to my normal week. May need to bastardise it a little..

AlanB: London Sub 2:35, 16 week 85+ mpw
  • I go on holiday for 2 weeks and this happens! Apologies for not reading back as it's a quick check in - we're having a few beers in Queenstown. Will do so when home next weekend!

What better way than to spend your holidays than squeezing in a marathon? I guess as it's spring here that's my spring marathon out of the way already. 2 weeks of eating my way round New Zealand meant I reached the start line feeling fairly bloated and slightly out of sorts.

As usual, plan of taking it easy and enjoying it went out of the window from the gun, with the new agenda being 'put the hammer down and see what happens'. Having done a few of these things, you might thing I'd have scoped out the course or learnt some lessons re; pacing. Wrong.

Even though the route was net downhill, it was lumpy for the entire first half, which made it really hard to get into any sort of rhythm. Halfway in 1.29.40, working far too hard, but deciding the damage had already been done so I'm going for sub 3 regardless.

Squeezing in my second excuse, it was a point to point race, and we had a fairly stiff headwind for around 30kms. Tough. Group of 4 of us broke apart at a killer hill with 11km to go which I decided to walk. In absolute agony for the last 10, but slowly reeling in the leading lady.

Got past her, and was then subject to a load of kiwis happily telling me I was about to get chicked so I better get a move on. Coming into the last 2km I thought I had a chance, but it slipped away at the end, and I ended up with 3 hours and 43 seconds. Managed to hold off the First Lady though, and was 14th overall and first Brit.

The most pleasing thing to report back is that the main sponsor (Air NZ) were giving out free headbands the day before. How could I refuse - it was just meant to be.

Hope you all have a great weekend guys, and I'll catch up with everyone properly when I'm back.
  • Great stuff Joe, a "holiday marathon"image Love the "put the hammer down attitude".

Kit dress rehearsal shortly for me for an ultra next weekend.

Lets see if we can tidy up that list. 

• Manchester 2nd April
    Olliepop 70-85
    1SteveMac up to 55

Brighton 9th April
    Runspoonrun 85+ 18w 2:59
    Trirunningfaster

Paris 9th April
    Macca TBC

Boston 17th April
    Johnoz 55-70 18w 2:59

London 23rd April
    Lit
    Slowkoala
    AlanB 85+ 16w sub 2:35
    Tom 55-70 18w sub 2:40
    HA77 DIY sub 2:40
    Muddy DIY 60-70 sub 2:50
    Sorequads  55-70 18w 2:50
    Millsy 55-70 18w 2:54
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC

• No marathon for me next year so I hope you guys will still have me

Congrats on the international call up Reg! 

The dedication to get up so early for a run astounds me Tom

Welcome Sorequads image

You seem to have an addiction to these marathons Joe, brilliant run though on what looks a tough course by the strava profile 

Seems ages since I commented on here, a few small runs this week all easy gradually building back up again. 50 mins this morning and tomorrow will be a low volume 5 x3min session

• Manchester 2nd April

Olliepop 70-85

1SteveMac up to 55

Northender 18/55(ish)   3:19

Brighton 9th April

Trirunningfaster

Paris 9th April

Macca TBC

Boston 17th April

London 23rd April

Lit

Slowkoala

Macca P&L/P&D TBC

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Lovely "holiday marathon" BR-glad you are having a good time out there-not jealous of you whatsoever!!image

Really pleased to see you are back at it Scott-take it easy!image

List taking shape nicely-thanks for sorting it Macca.

My sub 2:40 target feels incredibly optimistic at the moment but hopefully it has got the sandbagging monkey off my back!

15 easyish miles (6:45m/m avg.) this morning. We have had so much rain that loads of my routes are completely flooded so had to do a boring 5 mile loop around the town 3 times.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

• Afternoon all. image

RSR: Good going on the recent running, hope you can get the sub-3 at Brighton in 2017.
    JohnOz: Nothing I like better than running on a dark, cold, chilly morning sliding on ice and hurdling sleet, who needs summer running?  Nice target for Boston, and sounds like a nice trail race after.
    HA77: Hope the sub-2:40 campaign goes well for London.
    Tri: Good luck for Brighton, hope the training/injury evasion goes well for it.
    Tom: Nice 'easy' running.  I have a couple of boring loops that I do in training, usually when my main route is clogged up with geese.
    Alan: Hope the training for London goes well, sub-2:35 is some target.
    Joe: Sounds like with the complimentary headband, the marathon was meant for you.  Well done on the great time/placing.
    Macca: Cheers for the list tidy up, hope the ultra goes well next weekend.
    Scott: Good going on the easy runs and the build up, hope it all goes well.  Any particular races you're thinking of doing next year?
    NE: Looks like a good target set for Manchester.

12 miles done today, I've been following the P&D recovery plan.  It has worked well enough for me as my post marathon running has always tended to be a bit aimless in the past, so it's been good to have a mini programme to follow.

I shall be starting the P&D plan after next week in preparation for Manchester, ~2:45 would be a nice target.

Some bad news for my running is that I've spotted my arch rival (a hissing goose) along the canal path, was hoping I'd seen the last of them the last time they flocked off.  Oh well...

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Some pretty hot targets being set - so far, I'm the only one declaring over 3hrs! Hopefully that won't put off people who have targets 4hrs+ because P&D principles don't need to be confined to the fastest runners.

3:19 is a really tough target for me Ollie.  It was such a step up to 3:24 last year and with the way life is, I can't see me managing to increase the training this year.  But I really want achieve good for age - so that's the target.

• Great running Joe BR. I really enjoy listening to Fitter Radio podcast, NZ based tri/running/nutrition. They talk about Queenstwon Marathon loads, so I'll listen to tomorrow's episode to see if you get a mention. 

16M easy for me today to round off a pleasing 53M week. I've decided I'm definitely a diesel engine - four or five 8:xx miles then I'm fine to knock out 7:40s for no determined effort  if I try that from the off, my body has no interest!

Am I right in thinking an 18 week plan for London would start on Dec 19th?

Anyone follow the sub3 marathon group on Facebook? I really enjoy it, but all kicked off tonight!

• Sorequads - yes I think 19/12 is what I worked out for VLM.

NE - I'll be over 3 hours too! Not deciding on target until I've run a HM next year.

17 miles this morning and then another mile when my son played football (to keep warm!) I thought my ITB problem had come back last month so I've been doing leg exercises most days. Knee fine today so I definitely need to keep them up.

• Nice long runs bagged Tom, Sorequds and SK image

Thanks Ollie, looking to do Hampshire XC Champs and National XC in Jan and then probably a few 10kms etc in the build up to a full track season!

The Sub 3 marathon FB group was a good bit of entertainment this evening for sure image

• Manchester 2nd April

Olliepop 70-85
    1SteveMac up to 55
    Northender 18/55(ish)   3:19
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC 

Brighton 9th April

Trirunningfaster 

Paris 9th April

Macca TBC

Boston 17th April

London 23rd April

Lit
    Slowkoala
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC

• I just joined the sub 3 group earlier and it killed 20 minutes! 

It's shift enter to keep the formatting on the list.

I will probably focus on half marathon and do the marathon if I think I have a chance of sub 2:45. I'll chuck a couple of longer runs in but won't be doing much MP running, more LT and speed work.

Well done on the Marathon Joe.

Cheers Scott good to see you back at it, fingers crossed you get a clear run with no injuries for a while.

Targets are up a notch and good to see less sandbagging this year, although Joe isn't on the list yet image

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    At last! The spring thread.

Manchester 55-70 sub 3 for me. Except I plan to run 7 days a week and do at least 60 miles a week.

Finished off the between-marathon-training phase with the Preston 10 miler today.

Having never done a flat 10 miler before the goal was to go sub 65 for the first time.

Have been nursing a cold all week but was more or less over it today. Plan was simply to do each mile sub 6:30. And that's basically what I did. The pace averaged 6:25 and combined with the Garmin cutting the corners I managed 63:40. I felt strong the whole way but didn't have any top end as I haven't done speed work for quite a few months.

So that's Tuesday's LT run out of the way when I will just do 9 GA instead.

Well done Joe you nutter btw!