P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 10 mile race ramjet. A good starting point for the Manchester Sub 3 attempt.

14 easy miles for me today and didn't even hit 40 for the week. Took it a bit easy due to having a cold for a few days. Killed some time reading the FB sub 3 page and then started working on the tweaks to the 2017 plan.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    NorthEnder wrote (see)

Some pretty hot targets being set - so far, I'm the only one declaring over 3hrs! Hopefully that won't put off people who have targets 4hrs+ because P&D principles don't need to be confined to the fastest runners.

3:19 is a really tough target for me Ollie.  It was such a step up to 3:24 last year and with the way life is, I can't see me managing to increase the training this year.  But I really want achieve good for age - so that's the target.

The target times are certainly rapid! Good to know that P&D can lead to these sort of times but I agree with you NE that hopefully we keep getting new people joining who want to hit the same heights.

Joe - cracking time given the course and glad to hear the stunning scenery made up for how tough it got. The South Island still ranks as my top holiday when I spent a month hiking the Milford and Routeburn tracks, climbing on top of Fox Glacier (after landing in a helicopter!), taking a boat cruise out to Doubtful Sound, taking the train over Arthurs Pass and eating fresh crayfish in Kaikoura (sadly damaged by the recent earthquake). Queenstown is a great place and driving around that area is one of the most scenic places I have ever been to. Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Don't worry John and NE, I'm joining the 3 hr+ gang too.  Target as yet undecided, but basically it'll be somewhere under 3:10.  55-70 for London (when I get round to entering).

• I'm in for the London. Probably p&d 40-55 with a few extra miles, so more like p&d45-60
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    First day of the plan... starts with a rest day.

5 miles recovery first thing for me. Legs felt ok. Dark, cold and wet. Time to get used it.

Will do the strength exercises from the book in a bit. I've turned from a Hansons renegade to a P&D fundamentalist!
  • Good morning All. It’s been some time since I posted regularly on these forums but I’ve used P&D schedules, at times more seriously than others, for a few years. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that my 2 best marathons, Paris in 2013 and London this year, have followed my most conscientious following of P&D. Can only say what I think others have said, the schedules just seem to build endurance for the business end of a marathon. Also, reading last year’s Spring thread gave me great inspiration.

Being of mature years, my 3.52 in London (a PB), gave me a nice cushion for Boston qualifying and feel privileged to be heading there next April. So the 18/55 schedule starts 2 weeks today and I’ll see how things go before setting a target. As a minimum would hope to go sub-4 for the 6th time.

Will again be following the thread closely without maybe saying too much. Good luck to everyone with their personal goals. 

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Hi guys - haven't posted in P&D threads since my virus/injury problems at Manchester/MK this year. Stopped running and then started running in the late summer again. Started loosely following P&L the last couple of months and did Gosport HM yesterday in 1:42 (slowest half I've ever done ha!). Plan was to get some miles under my belt and then ready to start P&D 40-55 18w for a spring marathon - either Southampton or Milton Keynes. I'm also planning on the Bramley 20mi race in Feb and Reading HM in March. Really need to see how it goes though as my doc has warned me about post viral fatigue if I try to do too much too soon.

Glad to see everyone is still going hell for leather at it. brixtonrunner (or whatever he's called now!) seems to be doing a marathon a month according to strava and macca has posted some fantastic marathon times as well (see I have been reading the thread without posting!)

I'm definitely in the 3hr+ gang as well and hoping to duck under 3:30 for a small PB.

• New thread, wiew!

Nice work in NZ Joe. Queenstown is lovely, lucky they didn't send you up those mountains really..

I'm joining the +3s with target of GFA sub 3:45 at Manchester.

Knee is coming along nicely have made two 30min runs with no pain. But am now back on complete rest with a horrible cold, silver lining is that the rest can only help the knee recover.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Good to see some new faces along with the repeat offenders. 

Glad to hear the knees coming along JCG.

Good to see you're getting back into it AWC.

Nice 10 miler Ramjet. Well paced run by the sound of it.

Just as well you're not taking it too easy on holiday Joe. Looks great. No sandbagging when setting your London goal either. Anything over 2:45 is unacceptable.

I see Spoon and Sorequads just happened to run a similar route at the same time this morning. Something going on up there?

A decent 10 mile progression run for me today.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I'm not P&Ding it this time round...going to try the Daniels plan which just has two sessions a week and the rest is up to me...keep changing my mind, but my average week will probably look like Sun LR(MP/tempo), Mon Easy, Tue Easy, Wed Intervals/tempo, Thu MLR, Fri Easy, Sat Off/Easy. Will aim to run 60-80mi/wk, depending on how things are going. Doing VLM, currently thinking sub 2:50 si realistic, but this may change up or down depending on how things go.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Sounds good Westy. Two sessions a week is more than enough. P&D is basically one session a week unless you count the LR as a session.

Welcome back AWC. Don't remind me of that MK marathon experience!

Good luck with the knee JCG.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I am counting the long run as a session! Actually in Daniels every three weeks the LR is a LSR, the other two it is a LR with a mix of MP or LT.

• You'll like that plan Westy, but not a lot.
  • Welcome to all the new faces image

Great effort on the "holiday marathon" Joe image

Great 10 miler Ramjet.

HA77 - Well spotted, yes funny coincidence although we didn't actually cross paths as Sorequads was out a bit earlier than me.

Back to doubles today (I slightly modified the recovery plan to include some doubles, so they don't come as too big a shock when the main plan starts). Still feeling very slow but given the weather I think perhaps a little progress is being made. Will keep plodding away!

• runspoonrun wrote (see)

HA77 - Well spotted, yes funny coincidence although we didn't actually cross paths as Sorequads was out a bit earlier than me.

I am starting to think HA spends as much time on the internet at work as I do.

Welcome to the old, new and lurkers.

I'm still stuck in a 15 mpw rut, need some inspiration like a training plan to break out of it. I think I am going to do a 12 weeker if I do it.

• Early days for such rumours HA77! That said, if you fancy a forum team run spoons I can often be found out that way pre-work. 

This morning was vile - as I'm sure it was in most places throughout the country. Heavy rain and wind. Fortunately I was meeting my mate - communal toughing it out to begin the run. Then surprise, surprise it was fine once we were underway. Annoyingly, the outside of my left knee ached during the run. Internetting itb today and trying various stretches and foam rolling this evening. 

Ramjet - ahead of the plan already. I like your style. 

• Good luck with that SQ.  I'm sure you know that ITB is something to respect.

Madbee, slow Koala... er...  I don't think you two do anything to move us away from fast runners!

Ramjet... you're up and running.  Me too.  I'm doing week 1 this week and backing off next week because of family stuff. Anyway... great run in Preston.   And a run in great Preston image

Goldeagle... welcome to the thread. Don't just lurk but keep posting because I'm far too young to be the oldest regular on here!

Reg... 15mpw keeps you ticking.  I've managed to average 20mpw over the last 10wks after a terrible summer and feel like the mojo is back... only family stuff / work will hold me back. I know this because I'm looking forward to that satisfying feeling of running in the rain.

Joe... nice one.  spoons...  doing doubles in your recovery. you're both mad.

15W...  will be interesting to get feedback.  Macca... image   

Oh... look.  We can't alll acknowledge everyone else in every post or it's gonna get a bit dull!  Sorry to those I just gave up on.  Nothing personal!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hi AWC - nice to see you back, and glad you are taking things carefully.  

Westy, Daniels sounds really very much like P&D - I guess they're based on the same principals though, so inevitable that there are similarities.  Whenever I've looked a Daniels plans they look really, really hard, but maybe this is because people choose their own stuff in between the sessions and make it harder?

I wimped out yesterday. image It was biblical rain though.  Tonight shall be...er... some plodding for a few miles.  For a change.  A month until Mr Pfitz takes charge againimage

SQ and Spoon, don't worry, HA is just starting rumours to take the spotlight off his own bromance with Joe/Reg image

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

You can see straight through me Madbee.

• Good to see some new names amongst the usual suspects.

AWC - all the best and take it easy. Similar to Scott, Reg,Tom and JCG.

A good old fashioned soaking yesterday, must be spring mara training time. All the best to the Manchester mob.

It turns out I was voted most improved male at the club annual do the other night. A bit choked tbh as I fly(stumble) very much under the radar.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Ramjet: yes I remember things didn't go well for you either - at least I made it round MK although the damage it did I'm wishing I hadn't now image

Macca: well done on the award - you definitely deserve it after your sub-3 marathon effort

P&D 18w starts on 19th December for me so I've a few weeks to chill, rest and just keep the legs ticking over now. I'm guessing all the VLM crew start their 18w scheudle on the same day.

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

Advice please.. This is my first time following P&D and I hope to follow the plan as close as possible. However in January and February my club holds cross country training sessions on a Saturday morning. I attended most of them last year and it led to my best performance at the National Cross Country Champs. I really want to attend them again this year but not sure how to incorporate. They are all interval sessions, all on hilly grass/mud courses and vary from short at 15 x 350m to the longest of 10 x 4 mins. 
    Do you think I can find a way to make them fit in to the programme? Could I just replace the LT session with them or is that session too important? Could I just take the MLR/Long runs around it easier or do you think that would leave me too tired?

• Manchester 2nd April

Olliepop 70-85
    1SteveMac 18/55 sub 3:15
    Northender 18/55(ish)   3:19
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC 

Ramjet 55-70 sub 3:00

Just Coop Going Sub 3:45

Brighton 9th April

Runspoonrun 85+ 18w 2:59
    Trirunningfaster 

Paris 9th April

Macca TBC

Boston 17th April

Johnoz 55-70 18w 2:59 

Goldeagle 18/55 sub 4:00

London 23rd April

Lit
    Slowkoala
    AlanB 85+ 16w sub 2:35
    Tom 55-70 18w sub 2:40
    HA77 DIY sub 2:40
    Muddy DIY 60-70 sub 2:50
    Sorequads  55-70 18w 2:50
    Millsy 55-70 18w 2:54
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC

Madbee 55-70 sub 3:10

Lou Diamonds 40-55 TBC

15West Daniels Sub 2:50

• Lost formatting, but tried to update the list. Another one for over 3 hours! Not sure yet what to target, but sub 3:15 is the main aim. I was aiming for 3:10-3:15 in Berlin off a 1:26 HM, but the wheels fell off badly at 20 miles and came in at 3:25, so need to beat my PB from Brighton of 3:23.

I already have a HM planned in the run up to Manchester so will see where I am once I have raced that image

• Impressive list - I thought the 55 plan was standard, but it looks like most are planning considerably more.

Target is sub 3.  I manged 3:00.40 at Manchester this year using the 55 plan and I think I'm  fitter at the moment then I was at this time last year so, all being well, with a few extra miles in the bank, 41 seconds shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

• Sounds like a minor sandbag infringement Lou.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Manchester 2nd April
    Olliepop 70-85
    Northender 18/55(ish)   3:19

Brighton 9th April
    Trirunningfaster

Paris 9th April
    Macca TBC

Boston 17th April

London 23rd April
    Lit
    Slowkoala
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC
    Lou Diamonds 40-55 TBC

Southampton 23rd April
    AWC 33-55 18w sub 3:30

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Good to see you back Westy. What was that talk of retiring about?

Lou - looking to join Joe on the sandbagging committee I see. Is McFlooze running a spring marathon?

Well done on the award Macca. Didn't you pick up a win in that 12 hour race along with your sub 3? A great autumn campaign.

Alan - I'm not sure doing the short sessions you describe in Jan/Feb really fit in with the mesocycles of the P&D schedule. You could just focus on XC over winter, making sure you get in enough volume (not going to be a problem from what I've seen of your training) then do the 12 week program. This would start at the start of Feb so still some overlap but less so. If you were still keen to do the 18 week program I'd be swapping your XC sessions for the LT ones in the program. I think the LT runs are very important but I don't think it's easy to squeeze in another interval session, maintain the volume and have enough recovery. If you're racing XC regularly too you should be getting plenty of the LT training effect from that anyway. If you keep up your training volume and avoid injuries and illness I'm sure you'll smash London no matter what you choose. 

Just easy 7 miles with some strides today. A bit windy but nice and sunny out there after yesterday's soaking.

• Alan - I was thinking along similar lines re the important of LT runs. It depends how important the marathon is, if you're after optimal performance then I would be sticking to the plan and binning the XC intervals or doing them at MP effort rather than hard efforts. Will also depend on your injury history I guess.

7.5 easy for at lunch with a nice rain shower in the last mile. Groin niggle stayed away mostly. Physio seems to be sorting me out, amazing what an elbow in the backside can do for your balance and flexibility.

• dctdct ✭✭✭

Manchester 2nd April
    Olliepop 70-85
    Northender 18/55(ish)   3:19

Brighton 9th April
    Trirunningfaster 

Paris 9th April
    Macca TBC

Boston 17th April

London 23rd April
    Lit
    Slowkoala
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC
    Lou Diamonds 40-55 TBC
    dct hopefully 70-85 2:44:59

Southampton 23rd April
    AWC 33-55 18w sub 3:30

Second baby due 19 April, my birthday 20 April, first child's 2nd birthday 22 April, VLM 23 April. Busy few days…

Apologies for disappearing. Played 90 minutes of football a little while back, rolling my ankle in the process. Still hurts. Haven't run for a while. Gaining weight, losing fitness, 19 December getting closer.