P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Yes, I was only objecting to the idea that it would be good to be working harder than LT effort if trying to train your LT.

• Last year several of my LT session were substituted for xc races.  I think I wore a hr monitor for one or two of them and found that the average hr was probably a little lower than I would expect.  Perhaps the difficult terrain means that, in cv terms, you don't work quite as hard as you should even if it feels like you are.

As the xc races were on saturday, these were always followed by a long run on sunday, which was nice.

• HA77 wrote (see)

I did MLR Weds and LR Fri last time and it was fine with a recovery day Thurs, just like Madbee.

Missed the track session last night because wife had organised catch up with mates. To be honest I wasn't disappointed as I was feeling worn out anyway. I pretended I was gutted though. Points in the bank.

Good work. I understand the importance of this. Just remember those hard earned points normally have a shelf life, I always try and cash them in within a couple of days.

Horrific headwind this morning and if it stays for this evening I am going to start a week early and do my LT run with a tailwind. Every LT run I did last time was into a headwind.

• Reg Wand wrote (see)
    Horrific headwind this morning and if it stays for this evening I am going to start a week early and do my LT run with a tailwind. Every LT run I did last time was into a headwind.

They always are - and the PMP sessions.

• Cough cough. I'm still ill. Have entered the 18 w 55 plan into my spreadsheet, but will have to amend the first few weeks to account for slowly slowly knee rehab and what is clearly the worst cold anyone has had ever.

Do any of you run the Manchester parks XC? I'm supposedly making my debut at Heaton Park next week.  

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I did cross country at school....I remember thinking I couldn't wait to leave school so I didn't have to do this shit anymore.

• Unless you finish your run where you started it, then it just felt that way image

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

I used to hide in the woods at school XC - don;t think I ever finished a full race!

Easy week for me after the HM - just a few recovery runs and some general aerobics for the next 10 days

• Haha sage brownie point advice from Reg

• If it was cross country, it meant the football pitches were waterlogged/snowed under/frozen.  Which I didn't like... but quite enjoyed the races.  I almost always finished 3rd out of 100+  sometimes second (probably if Ainscough was off sick) but never won one, I don't think. Maybe the better runners were hiding in the woods. Forty years ago now, but I remember a guy called Richard Naylor used to win by a mile every week. I just searched runbritainrankings... but no mention of anyone by that name!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I used to hate cross country at school as it meant that rugby was cancelled. I did get accused of cutting the course once as the PE teacher couldn't believe that the prop forward made it all the way round without walking.

5x1000m intervals tonight. Was blowing a gale so splits were not as consistent as planned. The last rep straight into the wind was a killer. Have got tomorrow off work so it's gin o'clock here.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    JCG - I do the Manchester XC league. Should be at the Heaton Park one. It's one of the nicer courses and can't possibly be as muddy as Boggart Hole Clough was.

A slow, hilly 9 miles for me today averaging 8:40 pace. Gorgeous day for it.
  • I enjoyed XC at school, there was one guy in the year above me that was faster and I left before the final year so never won the annual school XC. It wasn't split up into years or anything, it was a mass start of the whole school. I think they do it in fancy dress now, wankers.

8.5 miles home and I felt tired. I half heartedly tried some LT but gave up after 3 miles. as I was struggling. I don't fancy the run back in the morning.

• How do everyone. I've been dropping in and out of P&D thread to catch up every now and again. Lots of great stuff.

My running has been a low life-priority in general but now the VLM horizon is starting to appear running is back on the agenda more seriously (although I spend the LSRs trying to come up with dastardly schemes to circumvent the ExCeL running number pickup.)
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Tommo. I quite enjoy the expo. It's a chance to stuff my face with energy bar samples and London Pride.
  • ^^^ I can see why you put a hyphen in the phrase a low life-priority image  ^^^

Only had a brief window of opportunity tonight.  Set off for a half hour jog at 10pm but after a mile or so, I decided to do a brief VO2 session. So 3x0.67m. Not consistent... got faster with each rep - but not very impressive paces. Was pushing it hard on the last rep thinking I was going too slow.  I ended up at 175bpm which is one higher than I've ever seen.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Thread certainly gathering pace and a few already into their plans before November is out!

Ticking over this week and just back from a mini tempo session to try and wake the legs up a bit before Half Marathon on Sunday. I'm well off the pace at the moment so not going to go flat out and not expecting a fast time. Will be nice just to finally get a race under my belt!!

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the half Tom and anyone else racing.

School cross country was my glory days. All downhill since then.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

All the best Tom for the race. I quite enjoyed my half at the weekend even though it was very slow. It's just nice to be back racing again.

• Welcome back UKIP.

Good luck with the HM Tom, by which I mean just getting to the start line injury free.

8.5 miles home last night and I started attempting some LT, planned to do the 9 w 4 a week early but my legs were not in the mood. 6:1x then 5:50 and back to 6:20. This was slightly down hill with the wind behind so I wasn't impressed.

Worse still the run back this morning was a real struggle. Hilly & off road but I'd still expect it to be sub 8, which it wasn't. I think the result of this is that I am going to do a HM plan and sack off the marathon plan.

Still I just had a massive breakfast at my desk and now I feel a bit sick.

• Millsy - sounds like a good plan re the 2018 Grand Slam. I'm going to have a pop at one of the 100milers next year.

Best of luck on Sun Tom - treat it as a training half ?

Welcome back Tommie, without trying I found myself at the exit of the expo within a couple of mins, I had more difficulty finding the entrance, I walked about a mile past it.

Maybe just off colour for a few days Reg ? Might have to cash on some brownie points. I'm usually in debt where those are concerned.

Off for an easy 4m shortly to burn off some carbs before replacing them for tomorrow's 50m. Live tracking available on Centurion Running website for anyone with 9 or 10hrs spare tomorrowimage
  • Good luck Macca, 50 miles! 

• NE - yes, I did have to read that sentence back & put a careful hyphen in there! Brownie points for noticing! image

Reg - impressive memory Andrew G. I've also started the run commute going. 10 miles on the nose either way so I usually do Tuesday eve & Wednesday morning. Physically its alright, it's just the mental aspect of getting up earlier & running 10 miles only 8 hours after the last one. One good thing about the cold weather is that I can get away with not having a full-on shower when I get to work (adding time to leaving earlier). Is that grim? I don't sweat doing aerobic pace in this temperature so I feel I get away with it :/ 

The Expo is ok while you're there - funnily enough I was there the other week manning a stand - but I have to take a day off work as holiday & fork out for the train fare (this feels like it runs into six figures these days) so it takes the shine off a little.

Good luck for those running this weekend. (Macca, 50m = 50 meters right?)

• Reg - Millsy knocks these things out between casual sub 3s for fun !

Thommo - yes, 1609 reps of 50 metres.

My body is trying to tell me no more fig rolls but I'm addicted to them.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Have fun tomorrow Macca!

Just 5 miles with strides @ 7:55 for me.

Might be naughty and blast round a parkrun tomorrow. Periodisation be damned!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Macca-50 miles is a long, long way-enjoy!

• Best of luck on the 50 miles tomorrow, Macca, have a good 'un. image

Have a good day. image
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Macca.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good luck Macca! I have no intention of signing up for a 100 miler.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Macca is finished and tucking into some grub by now?

Fun blast round an icy parkrun for me. Time of 19:49 nothing special but most people reckoned the course was 100m long. Managed to average 6:10 pace anyway.