P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Macca - 50mi wow that's impressive!

Just an easy recovery week for me this week. Did a few strides today which felt good.
  • Thanks for the well wishes folks. 50m done in 10hrs 51m for 39th place. Briefly, fantastic event, quads shot to pieces, my own fault. More details to follow.

Good luck tomorrow Tom.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done Macca.looked like a beast of a course. Looking forward to the full report.

I managed a massive course PB at Lanhydrock parkrun. Did 21:17 at Easter but managed 19:58 yesterday. Was 7th at halfway and got up to 3rd by the finish. It helped that the grass was dry this time but the 5k training is enabling me to push myself harder.
  • Strong 10miler last week Ramjet

Welcome to all the new faces image

Congratulations on the most improved award Macca, must be feeling shattered today following the 50 miler yesterday. Not exactly a flat one either

I quite enjoyed XC at school, probably because I was good at it image

How did the half go Tom?

For me still having knee problems, Tues-Fri I rested and this weekend have tried a few short runs with no trouble, so fingers crossed! 

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Well done Macca-fantastic effort yesterday, you must have been wiped out after 50 miles on your feet! How you feeling today?

1:18:06 and 4th place for me today which I'm very happy with considering I was running at about 90% effort on a hilly course. Lack of fitness showed in last 4 miles which were hard work but an enjoyable day out at a nice little event. Good training run and has got the juices flowing nicely before the Spring campaign. image

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Really hope you get that knee sorted Scott...hopefully you are over the worst of it!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done Macca! Can't imagine what a 50 mile run feels like. Sore I guess!

Nice podium parkrun Millsy

Really hope your knee is sorted Scott.

Fantastic time that Tom, especially at 90%.

15 hilly miles for me, pace averaging 8:05. I was quite pleased with the hilly loop I have discovered until I realised it resembles a shape I haven't drawn since high school. Was hoping no one would notice but it didn't get past Reg on Stravaimage

That's the first week done - 60 miles in the bag.
  • Well done on park runs Millsy & Ram. Decent paced run and amusing trace this morning Ramimage

Fingers crossed on the knee Scott.

Sounds like a sensibly run half Tom, well done.

I can't believe how trashed my quads still are today. Everywhere seems to have steps. Bike to work is not looking promising tomorrow.
  • Great run Macca. What a way to smash a weekly training mileage in one run!

Amazing time in the half, Tom. Incredible in fact for 90%! My PB is 1:20 and I was on the absolute limit - so huge respect for your performance. 

I've been on the bench for a couple of days with some stomach problems. A rapid way to get to race weight, albeit whilst getting progressively less fit. 

Just had a look on strava - some funny looking proportions on your route creation, Ramjet

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Well done Macca - another great achievement this year.

Tom - that's super racing at 90% on a hilly course.

Scott - hope the knee holds up, I'd noticed you missing from Strava and only doing a couple of shorter runs so was wondering what was up.

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

Macca - Congrats on the 50 miler performance!

Millsy - well done on the parkrun course PB.

Scott - Hopefully that's you over the knee issues, fingers crossed.

Tom - Well done on the training half. How far ahead was 3rd?

Ramjet - been hiding from strava since the marathon but might have to pop on just to admire your strava artwork!

I was meant to be racing a 5 miler on Saturday but it got cancelled due to ice on the course. I decided to go for a steady 10 mile run instead. The pace was in the steady zone but the effort was a lot higher. Yesterday I went out for an easy 15 but ended up cutting it short to 12 as was feeling knackered and sore and have been feeling rotten since then. Time for a couple days off I think. 

• Morning everyone! I'm back from flaunting my way around New Zealand. Currently pretty jet-lagged at work, so I thought instead of catching up on my 474 e-mails I'd just read through the whole thread. Looks like it's picking up pace already, great to see some old faces back as well as a number of new ones.

Massive congratulations Macca for the 50 miler!

I don't think I'll be following P&D this year. I'll definitely be doing London, but will be fully focussed on triathlon so might not even race it - considering fancy dress like SK - there's got to be some kind of soft world record going? Have signed up for two ironmans, one in July and one in September so they'll be my 'A' races.

I'll obviously be here though, constantly annoying everyone and finishing most sentances with an ! to make it seem like I'm shouting! (No idea why I always do that).

HA - after being in Australia for all of 2 days, I have absolutely no idea why you chose to come and live here. Didn't see a single Kangaroo roaming around the streets of Sydney though, dissapointing. Want to get out for a run this week?

Tom - fair play re; giving sub 2.30 a shot. I think you've definitely got it in you though.

Thread day out in Wokingham also? I'm in.

Manchester 2nd April
    Olliepop 70-85 1
    SteveMac 18/55 sub 3:15
    Northender 18/55(ish)   3:19
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC 
    Ramjet 55-70 sub 3:00
    Just Coop Going Sub 3:45

Brighton 9th April
    Runspoonrun 85+ 18w 2:59
    Trirunningfaster 

Paris 9th April
    Macca TBC

Boston 17th April
    Johnoz 55-70 18w 2:59 
    Goldeagle 18/55 sub 4:00

London 23rd April
    Lit
    Slowkoala
    AlanB 85+ 16w sub 2:35
    Tom 55-70 18w sub 2:30
    HA77 DIY sub 2:40
    Muddy DIY 60-70 sub 2:50
    Sorequads  55-70 18w 2:50
    Millsy 55-70 18w 2:54
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC
    Madbee 55-70 sub 3:10
    Lou Diamonds 40-55 TBC
    15West Daniels Sub 2:50
    dct hopefully 70-85 2:44:59
    Joe Blogs-BR sub 3.45

Southampton 23rd April
    AWC 33-55 18w sub 3:30

• Awesome effort on the 50 miler Macca! Congrats on the park run Millsy. Great HM Tom.

I've been massively struggling with motivation the past week or so. Despite a slightly better run on Friday where it felt like my pace was starting to return, I had a massive case of CNBA over the weekend and didn't run at all. Did have a bit of a bug about me I think, as I felt utterly exhausted despite plenty of sleep.

Feeling a bit fresher today, so hopefully with a new week comes a fresh start and I can get myself back in to things before the plan starts next week.

• Well done Macca, I am a bit jealous as I wanted to do the WW race but bottled it. Also I don't really want to trash my legs!

Look forward to he report?

Super HM Tom, I will have to lower my HM PB significantly in the Spring, I don't want it being beaten in a hilly 90% effort. My wife has entered Wokingham but hasn't been able to train so there's a good chance she will transfer it to me, I may do it as a training run.

BR - Good to have you back as now I don't have to look at any more of your Strava photos. Nice to see the change of emphasis but 3:45! Are you going to do it in that divers suit? I am currently contemplating IM Italy but the cost might be the deciding factor.

No running from me over the weekend just a bit of biking. 

• Well done Macca, I am a bit jealous as I wanted to do the WW race but bottled it. Also I don't really want to trash my legs!

Look forward to the report?

Super HM Tom, I will have to lower my HM PB significantly in the Spring, I don't want it being beaten in a hilly 90% effort. My wife has entered Wokingham but hasn't been able to train so there's a good chance she will transfer it to me, I may do it as a training run.

BR - Good to have you back as now I don't have to look at any more of your Strava photos. Nice to see the change of emphasis but 3:45! Are you going to do it in that divers suit? I am currently contemplating IM Italy but the cost might be the deciding factor.

No running from me over the weekend just a bit of biking. 

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for kind comments. 

Somebody has been messing with that list though-no way I would even consider attempting sub 2:30-I'm sure I put sub 2:40 down originally! Wonder who the culprit is?  

Sub 3:45 BR-FFS!!

• I think most people on here would take a 1:18 on a hilly course and not running at 100%, well done Tom image

Hope you survived the bike to work Macca!

Back to square one here, knee played up again after the run today. Will be seeing coach who is a physio at the weekend to try and get it sorted once and for all

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the knee Scott. Hope the Physio can sort it.

Awesome half Tom. Only at 90% but still breaking most people's PB's.

Off to Cardiff at the weekend for our wedding anniversary. Currently working out which parkrun will be the fastest.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Boo hoo Scott. Hope the physio can work some magic for you.

Cycle to work, 5 miles recovery @ 8:30, cycle home and strength exercises for me. And now, best of all, bed zzzz
  • Can't Tom tell you the fastest park run is?  I should be able to... but can't. Not a big park runner - I've only done 14 and half of those have been done a long way from where  I live.  But I might be doing 3 on consecutive Saturdays now...  if I can get up on Saturday morning!  Then on the 10th, and probably the 17th, I'll be doing Newport with our new to runners group.

Some fantastic running going on already. As we're marathoners, I'll give my award to Macca for the 50 miler... but some speedy shorter stuff around.

I was supposed to be having an early start to my Manchester programme last week.  Wasn't too bad with 21 miles, but then only managed 3 miles over the weekend! So forget the early start...   18 week programme starts today.  10 miles on the clock!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Sorry to hear that the knee is still playing up Scott. Hope the physio can sort it for you asap.

Millsy-I have never done a parkrun but I have run around Bute park in Cardiff and it is very flat so would imagine it would be fast.

9 miles easy this morning-very cold out there today-hands were frozen despite the gloves!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

BR called us old image  Also, clearly HA moved over here because he and Joe were destined to meet.  

Spectacular half there Tom, well done.  How is the slowing down going for training?

Scott image  Really hope coach-physio can give you some pointers to improve things.

Alan, sounds like a rest is in order.  

NE, get stuck in!  Bit jealous that you're actually starting now, I need some direction.  I'm sure you'll do well again, you seem committed to getting the running in image

Millsy, enjoy your weekend and your parkrunning.

Maccaaaaaaaa you legend.  I really want to do an ultra.

Made my XC debut at the weekend.  Thanks to the generous staggered start, and the fact I'd not run in the league before, I went off with the 'slow' runners, and managed to come tenth for the first and last time, out of a field of 302 image I have now, of course, successfully done myself out of a head start and will be a lot further back next time starting with the 'medium' pack.  Was fun though, what I'm told is proper XC - sticky mud, not a yard of flat ground and some real lung busting efforts uphill, not to mention a sudden plummeting in temperature as I was finishing the run.  Great day out though, will not be my last by any means.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Just trying to get the women's GFA Joe? 

Well done on the XC Madbee. I'm not sure why I moved over, a vague calling from deep in my soul I think. Either that or my wife wanted to be close to her family after 7 years in Oz.

10ish mile fartlek yesterday and an easy 6 miles with the work group today.

• Scott - so sorry to hear mate, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Millsy - the one in Bute park is very flat and fast, as well as a nice little course. You can also get dragged around by others as there are plenty of fast runners every week. Just make sure you don't start too far back as the start is very narrow.

Great XC Madbee, I'm sure you'll be back for more..

HA maybe we can move back to Aus together?

8 easy miles this morning but feeling very fatigued.

• Thanks again for the kind words folks, legs still trashed but getting better, I can now walk down stairs sideways. I've never felt like this before but I definitely want to do it again. I'll try and knock up a report later.

Sorry to hear about your knee Scott, hopefully you can get it sorted this time.

Welcome back BR - 3:45? You really want that crown back dont you ?

Tom - I think you answered your own question on the list meddler.

NE - all the best for the start of your plan, its tough juggling everything but you showed what you can do last time out so good luck.

Madbee - well done on the xc. I recall you running mara distance in training, I think an ultra would be right up your street. I've only had a glimpse but it seems theres a whole different world out there.

Diddley squat here todayimage
  • Also looking at the London list, it's going to be a squeeze to get everyone in to the after party at chez spraggins. Maybe I'll get HA to work the door.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but Joe Blogs-BR got a mention on the latest edition of Marathon Talk image

• Macca - 50 miles? Nutter.

• Haven't listened to that yet AWC will have to check it out. I know MT splits people on here but I enjoy it.

Also, if anyone fancies a laugh, I (kind of) made the local news in Queenstown; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OylhTY3KnNY - further evidence of me not ever able to take it easy, even on holiday..

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Joe: they mentioned on MT that the headwind made a big difference to your time. What kind of headwind was it and what difference do you reckon it made? I'm just curious becuase I had a 25-30mph headwind for my HM last weekend and I'm interested to work out what difference time wise that would make as I finished much slower than expected.