Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Macca- push it, no reason not to, you've got nothing to lose.

John - hope it's gone well! I can't see your number posted so not sure what you finished with - look forward to hearing about it though.

Scott - great to see you really back into the running, fantastic stuff.

Tom - I've not been ignoring your target questions (haha), just still pondering..

For the purposes of the marathon prediction league I'm aware I need to put a target time on the line before people start guessing. Let me include a bit more detail for people to make an accurate prediction:

All time 5km PB on Saturday (17.12), but only 2 runs of 20 miles or more (the rest 17 miles or less) may come back to bite me, along with wearing this ridiculous costume. Ran 17.18 the weekend before Berlin in October when I went 2.49 but a few more long runs before that.

However, for the purposes of the league, and hopefully to lose my sandbagger tab, I'm targeting 2.47.

A bit of a blog here if people want more info; https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/17/aberystwyth-parkrun-150417-london-marathon-update/

It's race week!

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    All done and I don't quite know the right words to describe it. Awesome, emotional, crazy, hot and challenging are some that spring to mind. 

So today I ran 3:31:49... Yes that's not a typo! Splits of 1:33/1:58. Never really got going in the heat and stopped looking at my watch after 6 miles. Despite the time I can honestly say it was the most incredible experience I've ever had, the support on the course was phenomenal and as I had my name on my bib it kept me going. I was never on target for sub 3 from the first mile so it took the pressure off, I did take on water at all 25 stations though and a couple of stops to stretch out cramp. I wouldn't say I enjoyed every minute but the crowds are something you have to experience - they are crazy about their marathon here. Will write up a report this week but now to catch up on some sleep!
  • Options

Interesting stats re Brighton Rob. Glad to hear you are still motivated to achieve your GFA. I’m sure you’ll get there.

Joe - I’m going to concentrate on 10K and HM for the rest of the year, so I can then hopefully go in to London 2018 training all guns blazing. I also have a 90 mile bike ride in Cardiff I stupidly signed up for. Need to start building the miles for that as my longest ride so far is 26 miles on the trainer! 

Great report Macca, I love Paris but it does seem a shame they don’t embrace the marathon quite as enthusiastically as some cities.

I’m not a huge drinker, but I always lay off the booze in the final few months leading up to a marathon. For me it’s mainly about ensuring I sleep well (I find as I get older alcohol can really disrupt my sleep) and keeping the immune system strong. It also makes the celebratory beer taste even sweeter. And makes you a very cheap date on Sunday evening… :D  I don’t cut caffeine, but I only have an espresso  or two in the mornings anyway, I don’t drink it through the day.

Nice parkruns Ramjet and Joe. Hope that diagnosis can help you sort the injury issues Scott. Glad you had a good time John despite the target going out the window. It sounded like it was very tough conditions in Boston today.

I had my first run since Brighton this morning, just an easy 5 miler. Legs felt a little creaky but not too bad. Will be taking things easy for a week or two before I start to think about some more serious training. I’ve written up a race report on my blog for those interested: https://run.spoon.run/brighton-marathon-2017/

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Well done John. A great effort and a superb attitude. Pleased you really enjoyed it. I caught a bit online streaming and the support and atmosphere looks brilliant. 

Grat write up up in the blog, spoons. I love a bit of forensic analysis! A superb effort, especially given the heat. And sensible planning regarding London next year. You're certainly not short of base miles. 

As per, a day off for me today. All going well until I got caught in a car crash - wet roads, emergency stops in front of me and a big skid. Big crumple. But fortunately no one hurt and that is what insurance is for. Bit of a shock when the airbags deployed - I didn't even know a third leg airbag existed. Bruised shins but nothing worse - genuinely grateful as I had the family in the car. 
  • Options
    Blimey SQ scary stuff, glad to hear you and the family are ok!
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done for finishing John and glad to hear you enjoyed it. The heat really is a killer when it comes to marathons. Really wanted to watch it but I'm not paying FloTrack about £10 a month for the privilege!

Yikes SQ! Glad you are all OK.

Great parkrun BR. 2:45 would get you a champs start next year! ;-)
  • Options
    Heck SQ.  Glad you're ok.
    John... sounds a great race.  Not a pb course, that one!
    You're in good form, Joe. Go for it!
    Nice blog spoons.  Not sure I've heard of tapering on the household chores before.  Nice idea!
  • Options
    John - sounds tough.  The experience sounds great though, as SQ says, great attitude.

SQ - glad the family are all ok.

Joe - well done for putting it on the line.  That leaves me with a choice of two for cpt sandbagger next week.

Joe/RSR - hope to catch up with the blogs in the next few day.  I'm goinig homeworking so I've got to clear a site in the garden, build an office and run a couple of races all in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Wow. That was a marathon catch-up! Been away from the internet in Scotland for 10 days hence no Strava/forum activity. I have been running but nothing fancy just a couple of sub-par parkrun tourism efforts & lots of steady 10Ks + a bit of biking. Far too much drinking & late nights hence still being up at 4am!

Shame the weather wasn't kinder for Paris, Brighton & Boston but well done to the forumites who toughed it out in whatever form. Some fast times & PBs achieved is credit to the training dedication Spoons, Macca, FBT, Rob1978 etc.

Glad you were so sanguine JohnOz. I know others who were 10-15 minutes away from their (faster sub-3) targets due to conditions so sounds like you made the right choice & enjoyed the event rather than flogging yourself to death for a time that wouldn't really please you anyway.

Tommo: bit late I know but it was me posted about the 90% max HR for intervals - pretty sure I went back & reread my P&D, if not it was Maffetone.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Well done John. Obviously a tough day but glad you still enjoyed it.

Glad you're ok SQ.

Well done on the parkrun efforts Ramjet and Joe.

I really don't want to bother going to the expo this week. I think I'll head out there Friday lunchtime or thereabouts. 

Going to do my short MP run today. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Interesting couple of weeks in the FML. Low scores all round with the tough conditions affecting times in Brighton, Paris and Boston. Due to this there were no Sandbagger Bonus points on offer. Jooligan has stayed in the lead on 168 points. Tom (165) and Ramjet (162) remain close but the big movers were Muddy (165) and Sorequads (164) who were top scorers for the round with 63 and 64 points respectively, putting them well into the mix for that top position.

With so many options available for London on Sunday, we can expect some big variations in scores, so it's still all to play for.

PLAYER Manchester Brighton,
    Paris, Boston
    TOTAL
    Jooligan 116 52 168
    Tom13 115 50 165
    Muddyfunster 102 63 165
    Sorequads 100 64 164
    Ramjet 111 51 162
    JoeBlogs-BR 93 62 155
    Millsy 100 54 154
    Macca 103 42 145
    JohnOz 94 45 139
    Northender 86 46 132
    HA77 100 30 130
    Just Coop Going 78 46 124
    Scott Pulley 106 0 106
    Reg Wand 93 0 93
    1SteveMac 0 60 60

• Options
    John - I've heard the conditions were so tough. It sounds like an absolutely amazing race - glad you enjoyed it, look forward to the report.

Spoons - sounds like a great plan. brilliant report, really enjoyed it.

SQ - blimey mate, I'm glad everyone is ok! 

Jooligan - sounds great to me. Knowing you, I'm sure you did tonnes of training. 

HA - thanks for keeping up the predictor league. I'm keeping it nice and consistent at the moment. Think I'll expo on Friday night and then go for a bite to eat with a couple of mates. 

8 miles this morning with 3 x 1km at 10km pace (bit of a variation on the MP run). Legs felt good actually, after a rest day yesterday. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Done my first weather check today. Southampton looking good for Sunday - 8mph winds and a max of 12 degrees although hopefully it will be more like 7 degrees when the race starts at 9am :smile:
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Well done John for toughing it out in unforgiving conditions. I was following 3 runners yesterday - 1 was going for sub 2:40 and ran 2:49, one aiming sub 2:45 and ran 3:04 and the 3rd aiming for sub 3 and came home in 3:52! The latter 2 spent the second half contemplating whether to even finish so kudos to you for crossing that finish line.

Glad to hear you are ok SQ and I have no idea what a third leg airbag is.

Still need to get a chance to read the blogs JB and Spoons but will def get to it.

4am drink fuelled foruming Jooligan, that can be a dangerous mix. Where in Scotland were you?

Good luck to everyone running London this week. Which reminds me, I haven't actually deferred yet...hmmm, maybe i could still...  ;) No chance!

I've only went and picked up an injury..  :( Not really sure what happened but guessing a culmination of a tough training week, several days of nasty wind and very tired legs meant my running form was a little off on Thursday's hard run and by the time I finished, my ankle/heel was quite stiff and sore. Took a few days off running and tried an easy grass run yesterday. The run went ok but it's feeling quite bruised now. Was meant to be racing tonight but have ditched that for some cycling instead. Will try another run tomorrow. Very frustrating.
  • Options
    Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Well done John, Im So jealous as I really want to do Boston one day. Just for heartbreak hill really :-)

SQ - Scary stuff I had an accident recently and airbags went off which is a bit of a shock with all the smoke. Glad you are all ok. As you say it's only a car and that's what insurance is for.

Still no running for me with painful foot since Brighton, but will still be running marathon.

Scott, not sure what I will be wearing for Southampton - I normally wear a black Top with my name, but for Brighton I wore a white one - will update nearer the day.

Not sure if to wear adios with little cushioning or training shoes with more cushioning considering my painful foot.

Anyone know the best way to get to the start line at Southampton (directed to Scott really) ? is it near train station or any carparks nearby?

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

John-Glad you enjoyed the experience-sounds like a fantastic event! I really like your attitude about it all. Tough conditions meant it was always going to be difficult for fast times.

SQ-Very scary! Glad everyone is ok and it is only the car that is damaged.....must have shaken you up a bit!

Spoons- Great report as ever, really enjoyed reading it. Nice plan you have mapped out. Will see you at the Bristol 10k in May!

HA-Glad to see you are busy back at work after your break! League table looks wide open with so much choice upcoming this weekend.

Joe-A very decent target you have put up there and one that is certainly within your capabilities without being outstanding in the sandbagging department!

FBT-Adios mate, you know it makes sense!

Hope the injury clears up asap Alan.

Jools-Glad you have had a good time away. No doubt your relaxed approach has resulted in bucket loads of training as usual!

Expo on Friday afternoon/early evening for me. Heading down on Thursday but we have got loads to cram in before the weekend. My son has never been to London before so he wants to see everything in a couple of days! Should be interesting.....

Weather forecast is looking very promising at the moment but we all know how quickly that can change!

7 miles with strides this morning. Feeling bouncy. Dress rehearsal tomorrow. Excitement building!!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Apparently everyone will be given a Heads Together headband at the expo to wear during the race.........'nothing new on raceday' springs to mind!
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well done on that tough run John. Glad you took a positive experience away from it.

Thanks for updating the FML HA.

Forgot to mention Joe's excellent parkrun. By the look of it he and I will be around the same pace.

I think everyone doing their mp rehearsal runs tonight/tomorrow should post their paces. Unfortunately I've lost my charger cable for my watch and it is dead to the world  ...  :p Physio visit tomorrow lunch to see how things are healed and take a final decision on London. I'm thinking I'll be there though.

SQ- That is really scary. Glad you all escaped unharmed, hope the shins don't prevent you from performing well at the weekend.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I was in Aberdeenshire AlanB so got into the Cairngorms on foot & on the bike a couple of times as well as a few runs along St Cyrus beach.

Nice one HA. Hope I can be as successful with my own prediction as in the FML.

45.6M in total for the week which is pretty much spot-on for P&D though the runs were nothing like the plan. All very steady bar the parkruns which were pretty much flat out if a little slow but that could be down to the hilly courses: Cuerden Valley (315') & Stonehaven (245'). Knee/AT still hampering me, particularly on hills.

Heading to London Friday pm so may be at the expo Friday evening else I'll be there after parkrun on Saturday. Least there'll be no excuse for lack of headbands.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like your injury has improved a lot Muddy. Fingers crossed.

Jooligan - Hope your niggles behave too. Nice work getting into the Cairngorms - always meant to get up there but never have.

Bit over 3 miles MP today came out at 5:57/mile. It wasn't the best run as it was pretty much either uphill into the wind or downhill with the wind, so not an even effort like you would want. Felt crap to start with but settled in ok.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Great race report Spoons. Sounds like a faster version of my many Brighton marathons. Glad you're so happy with the result - you deserve to be.
  • Options
    Well done John, I'm pleased you had a good day out. The conditions sound tough. 

SQ - really pleased you and family are OK. Bank holiday driving is always sketchy. 

HA - Thanks for keeping score, I need to work on my FML tactics.. 

Sorry to hear of the injury AlanB, enjoy the cycling instead. Hope yours are cleared up by the respective marathons Muddy and FBT

Joe - I have faith in you, plus that outfit has got to be all kinds of aerodynamic.. 

I had a go at parkrun on Saturday to test my legs before London. They're ok, but I'm not confident about this weekend in any way. Manchester took a lot out of me, and I've barely exercised and eaten all the food since. Lucky my costume is made of lycra really.    
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SQ - Sounds scary, but glad the family are all OK.
    John - Well done for toughing it out in hard conditions.

Still following the P&D recovery plan here, so a 5m recovery today (23m in total last week, 26m planned this week). Will stick to it for now though, then hope the speed returns for a PB attempt at Birmingham 10k.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the well wishes. Alan - I guess I should have said 'third airbag, one for the legs'. 'Third leg airbag' does sound a bit dodgy! Wife's neck very sore, otherwise all ok. Other than the big lump of metal that is. 

Hope the injury clears up soon, Alan. And the foot, too, FBT. 

Great work with the table, HA. All to play for this weekend! Will have a scan back for the form. Great idea from muddy. Hope everyone is looking forward to the dress rehearsal. I'm excited for it, but won't be going full on in terms of kit. Too short a turn around to wash it!
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    I just caught up on the blog posts.

Spoons - it's funny whenever you say you say struggle because you look like the Terminator in every single photograph (well, the T26.2 anyway (geek joke).)

Joe, I mean Ollie, I mean Joe - what were the chances that there's a small 12 year old chinese boy doppelganger in Aberystwyth? Instead of being sensible and going by HR etc., why not go for 2:45 pace & if it all gets a bit tasty later on then dial it back? Just sayin'. Ultimately it's 3:20 you're looking to beat, right? ;)

Muddy - fingers crossed for you. Sounds like you've made a decision though :)
    I bought one of those wrist thingies that Millsy mentioned for carrying gumpf. Doubtless they'll also be on sale at the Expo. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. Plan B is the Flipbelt since I have confidence in SQ's advice. I have a habit - in life - of buying the cheaper option, it being rubbish, and then ruing the folly of the false economy.

I'll probably be at the Expo on Saturday. Somewhat frustratingly my clever plan with military-precise timings was only as strong as its weakest link and now I'm left with the default option getting to Prince Regent DLR at 4:33pm (that said, travel websites are usually conservative in their London travel timings although 27 mins from Waterloo doesn't seem unreasonable). Leaving it that late is really asking for trouble isn't it?

In other news I might need to revise my target for VLM. I appear to have put on half a stone over Easter :^(

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just having a quick catch up, glad to hear you are ok SQ.

Tommo, I've also put on a bit of weight over Easter.

woke up yesterday with a snotty nose and sore throat. Yesterdays easy 5 miler felt awful so have taken it easy since. A decent night's sleep and plenty of vitamin c and I'm starting to feel normal again. Skipped the dress rehearsal but have worn all my kit at my last race so no worries about that. 

The 2017 VLM  app is now available from the App Store. 
    Im 31825 
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well done on doing the FML HA.  I mean well done on sorting out the scoring - not for making decent predictions because 30 points is a record low, and even I've overtaken you!  OK... I'm overdramatising it a bit, given we're only 2 weeks in... but hey, why not?!

I'm feeling my way back in to running.  Feel quite good after the overtraining issues.  Am planning on Hadding for a few months to get myself on track.  In fact, I'd say that today was my first proper day of that - having done a couple of practice runs over Easter.  23 weeks to Chester or 27weeks to Dublin. I'm thinking 3-4 months Hadding then step into a modified/shortened P&D.  Has anyone else had a go at this approach?
  • Options
    So tonight was 8 miles with 3 at marathon effort. I found my charger and was able to usr my watch to gather some stats that may aid the more earnest FMLers amongst us.

Last week I did nearly 6 at marathon effort and I could scarcely believe my watch when it came up with 6.10 min/mile pace. Tonight after 2.5m warm up, I ran an undulating 3 into the wind and clocked 5.48 (down),6.07(level) and 6.20 (up).

I did the same session before Hull averaging 6.20 min/mile over a similar 3m profile and 6.36 min/mile was the actual marathon pace on a very warm race day.

I'd like to think I'm better equipped for endurance than I was for Hull where I managed 3 runs around 20 miles. This time I've done 5, a couple of 18s and a double day of 21.

Neglecting such optimism if we assume I experience a similar drop off in pace at London as I did at Hull then you could expect my London race pace to come out at 6.26 min/mile.

According to McMillan my recent 5k of 17.15 predicts a mara of 2.48 (6.25min/mile). However my recent half predicts a mara of 2.42 (6.12 min/mile).

Use this data wisely FMLers ! 
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Not too shabby for someone just off the bench! (Or for anyone in fact.)
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Just back from dress rehearsal (wore a long sleeve top over race vest as its a bit chilly this morning) 8 miles wih 3 @ MP. Pace for MP miles: 5:54 avg. Haven't got all the data like Muddy has provided for FML purposes but will be posting targets later on today.