P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice 5000m Alan. Great time considering your lack of running recently and the fact it was a tactical race rather than an all out time trial. Looks like you've not lost too much.

Macca - I think the blog thing and thinking lots about running is just a result of doing well in London. It'll probably fade in the next month or so. I often get hammy niggles when I've done lots of lifting too. Old age. 

John - Love the beetroot on a burger. No burger I've had over here compares to the ones you get over there from a fish and chips shop. I don't know why but they just can't do it. A bit like they can't make curries in Australia like they do over here.

Work handicap race today. Had to do a short route to get back in time to do the timekeeping so did about 2.6 miles at 5:20/mile. Ran pretty hard but not completely busting a gut.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Macca, not my birthday no. I get fed delicious food and drink in return for my top bantz. Win-win ;)

Very annoyingly tonight I turned up to a 7:15 5k race at 7:30. I just got the time wrong; what a pillock. So I just did intervals at 5k whilst weeping. 
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭

Speedy 400s HA nice work.

Good luck on the long run commute SQ!

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling with injuries Scott.

Great 5,000m Alan

“Intervals whilst weeping” made me chuckle Tommo.

It was beautiful weather yesterday, so couldn’t resist binning work and going out on the midweek social ride with the local cycling club. Another 50 miles, and again it all felt reasonably comfortable. This morning I was up early for a tempo run before it got too warm. I did a split tempo like many of the sessions in the “Faster Road Racing” Pfitzinger book, so 3 miles, 5 minute recovery, then 2 miles. Managed 6:19/mi for the first 3, and 6:24/mi for the last 2. Much happier with that. It’s far faster than I had been managing the last few weeks, further confirming I’ve turned the corner on the post-marathon fitness slump.

• NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Nice 5k Alan.  Did the winning time beat your pb?
    Tommo... are we allowed to laugh?!

Not much to report here.  Has there been talk of moving to an "Autumn" thread?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Quite few days on here. No marathon focus at the moment I guess. 

NE - There was talk about just letting this thread be an ongoing one. There was some suggestion that starting a new thread encourages new people to join however.

Nice work Tommo. 

Spoon - Nice tempo run. 

Just ticking along for me. Did a few hills yesterday in Richmond park. Nothing planned for today but might try to get out later.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I suspect a new thread is in order as I couldn't seem to change the heading.

Nice work on the Tempo Spoons, looks like you're back in business.

I don't think I mentioned it on here but I turned my ankle earlier in the week and wondered if it was another setback but thankfully I seem to have gotten away with it. Managed to trudge out 6 miles this morning which is good as I am have very slowly built up to 20 odd miles a week. 

On the cycling front I did a 10 mile time trial last night and set a new PB of 21:52, which is 27.6mph. It felt pretty good, although there were some seriously quick guys with one going under 20 minutes (30mph).
  • Rather you than me with the barefoot runs HA, wouldn't trust there to be rubbish or needles etc lying around

Hope we'll be getting some photos of this garden office once built Macca!

In a tactical race a 16:31 is good going Alan, hard not being able to just settle in to a pace

Oh no sorry to hear of you getting the wrong time Thommo  ;)

You seem to really be coming on with the cycling RSR  :)

Yes I just need to get back running consistently as feel I could get back to decent form fairly quickly. A few short runs and gym sessions this week, off to Twickenham tomorrow before watching the Fa Cup final in a pub

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Top 5,000m racing Alan.
    That's a seriously fast TT time Reg.
    I've not done much running since London in an attempt to let my knee heal but frustratingly this appears to be having the opposite effect as it's more swollen than it was when I was still running 50-60 mpw!
    The only running I've done since my tri was a parkrun, in a new all time slowest course time, en route to Cader Idris fell race 11M & almost 3000ft of climb in the first half then back the way you came. A painfully slow start but then once the legs had unstiffened, after about 2K, I went up OK: managed to run pretty much the whole way to the top overtaking people all the while but then my knee couldn't cope with the descent & I went from 87th at the summit to 161st at the finish!
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Too soon NE, too soon ;)

Jools, I find it ironic that my body feels aches & pains more if I'm trying to recover. I think I've read that its part of the healing process but it doesn't seem right - especially if I've been running niggle-free, but then feel worse after a day or two of no running. 

10 mile run commute into work yesterday was interesting. It was 20C at 8am so I arrived at work a stinking mess & we don't have any convenient showers so I spent a long time trying to cool down. I should've picked a black or white shirt to wear rather than a thin green one that shows every mark  :/
    Does anyone run in a base layer?  I read of technical wicking materials.   I also read that my 'free' t-shirts that I get from races are "technical".  So is it worth buying a base layer from a running shop?  Are they significantly better?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    NE - I've got a few bought base layer tops, most of which were presents. They are no different to technical shirts from races. The more expensive ones are probably nicer material but not worth it in my opinion, but then I am a tight arse.
  • Cracking TT Reg, very quick indeed. Not sure I could get anywhere near that.

Quick check in from me, apologies for a shorter response.

Edinburgh half marathon for me tomorrow - will give it a go but legs feel like led post 90 mile ride and run off the bike yesterday, so I'm not brimming with confidence. Not an A race though I guess.

Good luck to anyone else racing.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I have an Odlo base layer and it's awesome. I have a Nike one that was cheap and it's shite.

Good luck with the MH Joe.

5.5km lake swim today, I was flagging at the end.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    I've got baselayers for winter running & cycling which are different to long-sleeve tech tops in that they are tight (almost like a compression base layer). Wearing that under a tech-T is my preference when it's cold. I've picked them up from Aldi over the years though the fit varies. But I guess there are different types of baselayers. 
    Cheers... I'm thinking particularly for warm weather.  I see footballers wearing a base layer under a football shirt on hot days, which looks mad to me, but obviously must work.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2014/jul/08/world-cup-2014-why-vests-in-the-heat

I'm not convinced myself. I did read somewhere about a material being developed that was apparently made sweating more efficient by basically increasing the skin's surface area. But I'll just stick to the research in human evolution. It's also cheaper. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, I wore my Odlo base layer for the cycling TT on Thursday when it was pretty warm. It felt fine. I only wore it because my tri top is sleeveless and I think you need to cover your shoulders for TTs. Worked a treat, I felt cool and aero. Not tried it running though when you don't get such a breeze!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Tommo - nice article. Sounds like complete BS to me. I just go for a vest. Used to run a fair bit with no top back in oz.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    What part of: 'Some players opt to wear a base layer to provide extra support rather than for warmth," explains Ben Goldhagen, senior PR manager at Adidas' makes you suspicious HA77? I can't imagine a corporate salesman of a global brand would make dodgy claims about lightweight fabric providing extra support needed by super fit & conditioned elite athletes (if we don't count Wayne Rooney). 

I'm other news I've invented some new sports nutrition: SnakeOilPlusExtreme. I'm sponsoring a sports event and got some athletes to promote it. I'm waiting for the bucks to roll in!!! 

• Thanks for the well wishes all. No Ouch Ouch, no marathons for a bit. I'd like to be back ready to take up my GFA place for London next year, but we'll see.

Manchester 10k for me today, just jogged around in 55mins. I'm tempted by all this triathlon talk to join back up with the local club to at least get in the pool. That shouldn't be too impacted by my 'condition,' if anything I'll be more buoyant.

Joe has been sandbagging again.. great work at Edinburgh.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm with HA & Tommo on the base layers though I believe running layered up helps acclimatisation & makes the body more efficient at coping with heat stress - essential for marathons in pretty much any conditions. In spite of this I was running bareback well into November back in 2015.

Agreed JCG Joe definitely had the builder's bags out yesterday. Well done on yr 10K jog. Pool is great for pregnant women. I first got in to swimming when my ex was pregnant 17 yrs ago. We did lots of walking & swimming. She had a very easy & speedy birth which they said was probably helped by her general fitness.

Lightest run week for 10 years -  just a parkrun. Not quite as pisspoor as last week but it was flat. On the plus side I got faster as the 'race' went on. No warm-up at all so hip flexors were rigid from a week on the bike. Followed that with 2 massive bike rides 121M & 11,000ft yesterday, 102M & 5,800ft today. It's not as good as a long run but it'll have to do for now.
  • Blimey Jooligan, doesn't sound like the best idea racing if you've got a dodgy knee. 2 massive rides you put in!

Great to see Joe having a cracking run at Edinburgh, sure the report will follow soon  :)

What a day Saturday was, shame to see Wasps lose in injury time but Arsenal more than made up for that!! Quite a bit of beer was spilt when we scored the winner. Not so good waking up hungover on Sunday with severe calf cramp that caused me to hobble during Sunday, feeling better now but still not perfect so just been to the gym a few times since

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    You & the Doc agree Scott but it does me good mentally. As the knee seems to be static I did a gentle 4M plod today after a 2M swim & 40M bike. No pace at all but no pain so I'll settle for that.
  • Morning team. Hope everyone had a decent bank holiday weekend.

JCG - you know it makes sense, head on over to the dark side.

Jooligan - a light run week, but plenty of miles on the bike! I think that'll probably more than make up for it.

Scott - agree about saturday, very good day of sport, thoroughly enjoyed the rugby. It was ideal for me as I had my feet up in preparation for the following days half. 

Edinburgh half marathon - 1:16:53. Was secretly hoping for a PB but certainly wasn't expecting to run that fast. The 5 hour bike and then run on Friday had left me pretty wiped and the legs were feeling terrible on Saturday. Woke up Sunday with some improvements but still fatigued, decided there was nothing to lose so did the classic 'go out hard and hang on'. 

It got strung out pretty quickly and from mile 4 was pretty much a solo run. Hitting 10 miles in 58:20 I knew I was on for a decent time if I held it together. Picked off a couple of runners in the last 2 miles and turned into the finish straight seeing the clock ticking towards 1.17, mustered a decent sprint to sneak under it. 

It's a 3 minute PB for me so it's a positive sign going into the triathlon season. 34th place out of the 9000 or so runners. The day was made all the better as Katie ran a massive (10 minute) PB for a 1.38. Drank so much beer on Sunday - good times all round. 

I've been productive having yesterday off so nearly finished the blog, will post it later.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: blimey a 3 minute PB when your not feeling great-amazing!. Was just catching up on last week's MT talk and lo and behold your on it again for the kit around in Monaco wearing Martin's golden budgie smugglers :smiley:

Last week was recovery for me so just a 20 mile trail run on Saturday which was pretty relaxed. Big week this week with the Needles XC Marathon (IoW) on Sunday which is a proper tune up race for the Ultra. I'll be wearing full kit and taking my own fuel etc to make sure I've got everything ticked off for race day. Its a very hilly one as its a coastal trail marathon with some big climbs so good training for the Ultra.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Well done on the PB joe! We will have to start calling you joe sandbaggins. 

Jooligan - sounds like you still have the fitness even without much running. Hope the knee is on the mend. 

The thought of a base layer in the heat just frightens me, I would just roast from the inside. 

I can confirm that the sight of multiple barechested HA77s is alive and well here in Oz. At least they are doing it along the beachfront, I can't bring myself to run through the suburbs with my top off however hot it gets. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Joe Sandbaggins has a ring to it.

Great work on the PB Joe, sub 75 has to be the target now.

Jooligan, back to back century rides is something I've never done so Kudos to you there.

AWC, that sounds like a good event, I do like the IOW, I had my stag do there, we were supposed to be going to Munich but the stupid ash cloud put the kibosh on that and we ended up on my Sister's yacht instead which turned out to be an awesome weekend.

There are a few on this site that run bare chested, I've never done it. I think I'd feel a bit of a yob. Maybe at the track when it's unmistakable what you're doing.

I did a sprint tri on Monday, went into it off a big week for me but it went ok. Swim was rubbish but brought it back on the bike posting the fastest split. I lacked speed on the run though and got passed 2k into the 5k to finish second overall. 5k was 18:30 so not great but it's early days and I have done no speed work.
  • That's good to hear Jooligan, thanks. Huge cycles, take care of that knee! I find cycling causes my knee more problems than running.. hope it clears up soon. I know how you feel about the mental benefits of running. I'm pleased to be back up and running finally post-London. My mood is much improved.

JB - I'll be making my move over soon, but I just earned a speeding fine from racing my uni club mates to a tri when the coach failed to turn up. I'm going to need to earn a few brownie points before I spend more money on Manchester club fees.. oops. Awesome work from the GF too, 10 mins is huge!

Best of luck for the weekend AWC, I used to enjoy cycling around IoW when I lived down south. So many hills!  
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Equally impressive running and sandbagging Joe! Well done mate, huge PB and clearly you are in fantastic shape at the moment.....plenty more to come I'm sure.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    That's a very decent 5k run split off such little build up and after the other sports beforehand Reg. Well done. Hopefully you will get fitter now that the niggles are behind you and you can build on it. Everything feeling ok after the race effort?