College project - triathlon shoe

Evening folks.

I took part in my first triathlon in August. It was the Liverpool triathlon and the hardest thing I've done to date. It was a drunken agreement, and it was for a full size triathlon. my final time was just under 3 hours so I was made up. The week to follow was absolute torture and my stomach was in bits. I've had a bit of a break in between, but I'm looking at getting back on the tri train for next year. And this is where my question lies. I have been tasked with an engineering project for my HND course. I have decided to take a pun at doing a triathlon shoe. Basically, a show that you can swim in, cycle in and run in. I doubt this will ever pick up pace and actually become something, but I would like to feedback on your thoughts of whether this would be something people would be interested in? This is part of my research so any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks image

Comments

• first off - you would not be able to swim in it as that's against the rules (basically nothing can cover the feet unless you have a medical certificate to show that it's needed ) so that element is a no brainer

so - moving on - you already have shoes that you can cycle and run in - they're called running shoes.  most triathletes don't do this however as stiff soled bike/tri shoes are preferred for power transfer, but there's nothing to stop anyone riding in their running shoes, and then running in them off the bike.  I'm not sure you can develop a running shoe with a stiff sole as they would be pretty useless!

methinks you need to look are a different project

• Technically, the regulations state that 'socks' can't be worn.

As i stated, this project will never materialise. So my request is that people humour me. The thought it that it's come techy shoe that you can run in, and has the ability to clip onto a bike.

• If you try designing a shoe that is illegal for the sport then I would think your supervisor would fail you for not doing the basic research  image

irrespective of whether you have any plans to manufacture them..

• Let's change the approach then. This will be a good turning point in the project... This will be designed for a triathlete who wants to be able to clip in and run without the faff of changing shoes during transition. So instead of wearing the shoe during the swim, they put it on after the swim.

Is that better?

• as a thought.... there is another category of event... swim run, where you do swim in shoes... and they are becoming increasingly popular

http://otilloswimrun.com/races/isles-of-scilly/

a shoe good for running, yet easy to swim in would be interesting... and maybe even a business opportunity if you create a clever design!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Thanks for the positive feedback MC. I will definitely check that out, and put it into my Research! Thanks image

• As the others have said - ottillo and regs aside - the engineering challenge is that for the bike you want a stiff platform to allow power transfer, but for the run the shoe needs to flex.

Good luck designing a shoe that will have opposing properties! I can only imagine you'd need some kind of switch, or mode to allow the shoe to change from stiff to flexible - or maybe some kind of flexible insert (running shoe) that leaves the stiff part behind on the bike.

• That's the challenge Daylight. This project will not be made, simply designed on CAD. I have access to a scanner to scan my foot and build up a CAD design around it. As you say, the complications of combining the two will be difficult, but it can be part of my evaluation where I might have to say it won't work due to those set backs. The purpose is to show I have applied myself, and checked all the relevant avenues before I come up with the evaluation. Regardless of this, I love the look of this swimrun event! Has anyone done one on here?

• if the only limitation is your imagination and CAD skills it should be doable. Is there any rules in triathlon about electronics, power and mechanical parts in shoe equipment? I'm thinking of an ironman style of suiting up the  foot in  transitions.

Or some kind of material that has different properties under different conditions so flexes when running but locks to the pedal when cycling

• I've looked through the regulations and the only rules to do with electronics etc. is to do with the bikes, or anything that can enhance you during the race that gives you an advantage over the field.

Something like a SMART material?

• Ben Ainley wrote (see)

Technically, the regulations state that 'socks' can't be worn.

Ben Ainley wrote (see)

I've looked through the regulations and the only rules to do with electronics etc. is to do with the bikes, or anything that can enhance you during the race that gives you an advantage over the field.

let's give you a little lesson on the rules of triathlon - and as an ITU official I think I have a good insight on this... image

yes - quite right that the rules only state that you can't wear "socks" in the swim, but like all things technology is often ahead of the rules which are only reviewed once a year.   generally, we like to work on the basis of fair play for all and we have a nice phrase in the rules which states in a number of places, "but not limited to" and another "penalise competitors who gain an unfair advantage" and finally "Officials base their judgments on whether an advantage, not intended by the Rules, has been gained"

that last bolded phrase is important that any triathlete should take note of,  in that any triathlete trying to gain an advantage over another by use of any means and not in the rules can be penalised. 

so, the use of shoes in the swim could be viewed as gaining an unfair advantage as it allows you to run from the water to transition with ease, whereas others have to run bare feet (or if allowed, put shoes on as soon as they come out of the water).  equally, shoes could be viewed as a propulsion aid as they enclose the feet so act like a paddle (and a reason why socks are banned).

likewise, electronics and technology generally can offer an unfair advantage depending on their application.

there's a lot of interesting technology out there that can assist a triathlete in their performance but we do like to strip things back to basics and create a fair playing field for all irrespective of money or ability.

however, swim/run is currently not covered by triathlon rules (but who knows - it may be in the future) so designing a better shoe for that may be a way forward for you, or just a triathlon bike/run shoe

hope that helps and good luck

• Ben Ainley wrote (see)

Let's change the approach then. This will be a good turning point in the project... This will be designed for a triathlete who wants to be able to clip in and run without the faff of changing shoes during transition. So instead of wearing the shoe during the swim, they put it on after the swim.

Is that better?

There have been attempts to use running shoes on the bike before - google 'pyro platforms', essentially something that clips onto a regular pedal to create a stiff platform and toe cage for a running shoe.  Some duathletes use them, especially in shorter races but there's a compromise in that there's still a relatively soft, flexible layer or running shoe between your foot and the rigid 'sole' of the platform.

Like FB says, your best bet might be swim-run where some manufacturers are looking at designing specific shoes and competitors are already customising existing designs.  I suppose the ideal shoe would need to run like an offroad trail shoe, but with some buoyancy built in for the swim, be streamlined to reduce drag in the water and have some drainage to let water out after the swim.  And be comfortable enough to use without socks with no blisters, even when your feet are wet.