The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• JAN:   243.7km  
    FEB:   277.8km

YTD: 324 miles. (522km)

Absolutely killing it at the moment :)  Look out March... I'm coming for you!!!
  • I'm off to look at that plan Clag. Hoping to run an Autumn marathon after flunking my one and only effort.

5.5 miles along a seriously windy tow path below one angry looking sky this evening. 1 mile warm up, 3 x 9:00 miles with 1/4 mile easy efforts in between and 1 mile warm down. Very comfortable.

February - 91.20

2017 - 153.01

• I have just come across this. What a great idea. My worry was that I had left it too late. I ran 90km in Jan and 115km in Feb. So 205km in total. 127miles. So I feel I'm on the right track. I guess it's about having a couple of really strong months and getting a few extra ones in the bank. Even if I don't use them I'll have had the motivation of knowing I've done a big month. 
  • Another 11.33 miles tonight - made me get over the 700 km mark (700.008 km to be exact).

YTD = 434.96 miles
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    7.5 gentle, and surprisingly dry miles. Weather man wrong again!

March - 7.5

2017 - 160.51

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Quick update, I'm up to 126 YTD now after a quiet week of mileage last week.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Another 4 miles with Mrs JR this afternoon. 1 mile warm up, 2 x sub 9's and 1 mile warm down.

March - 11.51

2017 - 164.52

• Am struggling to shake off this wheezy lung thingy so slowed a bit during the run but did faster than race pace for 13.46 miles making :smile:

YTD = 448.42 miles
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD - 163.1 miles.

All on the thread mill. Time to move outside methinks!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    4.5 easy paced miles on Thursday and an interval session last night that totalled 5 miles, so up to 135.5 YTD.
  • Am getting there.
    10.19 miles including Parkrun makes:
    YTD = 458.61 miles
  • Bonjour a tous!

Have been in France for work with no time for running at all (although my kit has had a nice relaxing trip to Paris and Rouen with nothing to do  :D)... so this past week has been a huge, crash cut-back week but not exactly the best prep. for High Legh 10K tomorrow.

I've had a quick read back... some great running by all!!!

Andrew - I have a very vivid imagination LOL :wink:

senidM - I agree with JR... it's not my usual choice of music but it is very ethereal and relaxing... my choice of Dane would be my lovely, little mum :smile:

JR - you're getting in some great regular running!

David - you're doing nice regular running too... getting the miles under your belt.

Nick - I've got two more long runs, plus two more races (a 10K and a HM) before I can think about tapering for Manchester... it does feel rather close now though *glup*!

DadAgain... you are indeed killing it - if Mrs. Singh keeps putting Harmander to work and you keep piling it on, our thread leader might need to glance over his should :smiley:

Welcome Faya and Riverman2 - just keep racking up the miles you'll be fine.

Yes, Donnie - get thee outside... I'm sure your tready miles will stand you in good stead.

Harmander - take care of yourself! I thought they say "if it's above the neck you can carry on training, if it's below the neck you should not train until it's cleared"? Perhaps your cast iron constitution has turned you into Superman... if not, do be careful with your health! :wink: Great mileage in spite of lung lurgy!!! :smiley:

Just a little 4.02 miles for me tonight - with the second mile at goal 10K pace in preparation for tomorrow (7:30/mi.)... not sure how it will go due to my lack of running this week so I might have to dial down my expectations a bit. The great god "The Plan"says it should be 22 miles tomorrow so I've taken Monday off work and will do the long run then instead.

YTD: 287.70 miles.
  • Thanks Nell,
    You are like a school teacher giving out term reports.
    Doc gave me Doxycycline - seems to be working.
    Good luck with catch up for Manchester - less than 50 days to VLM.
    'Er Indoors going on holiday to see her mum for three weeks - will tend to her list of things I must have done in the last 24 hours before she returns. Can get some serious respite for my ears now. lol.
    Nah, just kidding, she is alright, in small doses.
  • Tee hee, Harmander - you got me!  :p

Before I did my PhD and moved to be a scientist in industry I was a secondary school Science teacher (mainly Chemistry and Physics)... can't say I miss the report writing though - must just be in my blood! LOL
  • I used to get'A' (for Absence) - played football, hockey, cricket and oh yes a bit of running for the school so missed loads of lessons - usually English Lit (happy)
  • Ahh - you were one of *those* children - hahaha - I'm sure you were a model student as well as a Sport Billy! :wink:
  • In 1983 I came runner up in Student Superstars - events in the final were Gym Tests, table tennis, Archery, Football (dribbling & shooting), a combined middle distance cross country obstacle race - I struggled to get over the fences as am only little, sprint and swimming which I got no points as I diddn't even enter the pool as I can't swim.
  • No I was a right pain in the neck at school and they were glad to see the back of me - the 1983 event was when I was in tertiary education
  • Ooo - Superstars... I used to LOVE Superstars - Brian Jacks was ace!

Gym test was always my favourite (to watch) - and, if you've never seen it, take a look at Kevin Keegan turning himself into Carpaccio during the cycle sprints *blerk*!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDe8EsBBfm0
  • Got my own back for getting detention when in the sixth form and not being made a prefect - by getting elected as Parent Governor at the school when my kids started going there.
  • Started with a drizzle but soon cleared for a slightly slower than 5 hour Pacing pace for 18.77 miles LSR,  making:

YTD = 477.39 miles
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Welcome home Nell! How did the 10k go?

5.5 miles for me today, so 141 YTD.
  • Well helloooooo 1000-milers!

Drizzle, Harmander... drizzle! We had freezing torrential rain and impending hypothermia for the race this morning - was good fun in spite of that though!

Thanks Andrew - the race was ace... High Legh always puts on such a good event... love it!

So... did 6.21 miles... in a new PB of 46:16 - an average pace of 7:21/mi., 2:22 off my previous PB and unexpectedly achieving a target for my marathon training plan (running a 46 min. 10K) that I was assuming I wouldn't be able to do. So I've been able to complete both race targets that are in the great god "The Plan": a sub-1:45 HM (achieved 1:43:52) and a 46 min 10K (achieved 46:16). Just need to finish the marathon now!

22 miles tomorrow!

YTD: 293.91 miles.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Hope the 10k went well Nell. Nice long run Harmander. Keep plugging away Andrew

Combe St Nicholas 10k for me this morning as the schedule said 'race'. The weather has been awful since yesterday and I did wonder what we woud be running through this morning. Anyway, I had a feeling around 9 minute miling and a sub 55 would be achievable but didn't realise quite how tough a 10k this would be. The first 3/4 mile was uphill and I resisted the temptation to get carried along, knowing early exertions would cost me later (i'd been told there was a real nasty climb at 6k). 9:30 for the first mile and then we climbed again for 1/4 mile before heading downhill and I clicked into a good rhythm. Mile 2 was completed in 7:53 and mile 3 started downhill and continued on the level in 7:40 as I really got that 'racing' feeling. At halfway I took a water before 'The Hill' that rose sharply and certainly slowed my pace (mile 4 in 10:17). Mile 5 was undulating in 8:53 and now we had another climb. I wasn't really ready for this one as it deceived you with a false top at a bend before climbing again. Hands on thighs and everyone walking the final 200 yards as it was quicker than running! We dropped down into the village again towards the finish and one last climb, through a slippery, muddy field and across the finish linein 56:20. Marshals were excellent all around the course and i'll be returning next year, even if over 600 ft of climb did make this possibly the toughest 10k i've ever done.

March - 17.96

2017 - 170.97

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well done Nell, a PB in this weather is no little thing, although some might say you just wanted to get out of the rain quicker. ;)

And Harmander, keep knocking out the LSRs.

For me was Essex 20, and because it was a championship run I had(?) to race it, which for me was sub3hours (not sub3 marathon, those days are long behind me) but got me in for a 2:58, soooooo, Halstead sub 4 is not an impossibility, just hard.

Wk 9: 29.9       YTD:     294.49
  • Thanks everyone.
    Seems those preparing for the Spring marathons are really going some.
    Well done to the new PBs and other milestones - they really motivate everyone.
    SenidM and Little Nell, neck and neck - just half a mile between them.
    Going to break into new Boost Supernova trainers this week in readiness for Silverstone next Sunday - tried them on and found I had to loosen the laces to allow more breathing space for my tootsies.
    Love the new VLM jacket - it has a zipped pocket high up on the sleeve (near the bicep area) - perfect for the mobile as I hate the blood stopping strap ons.
  • Morning all,

So another week gone, where is the year going?

Some more great running going on, well done Nell what a cracking new PB, you must be super happy with that.

Harmander, hope the drugs have kicked in there is nothing worse than running when you are not 100%, however as Nell has already pointed out we think you must be related to Superman!

Senidm, great 20 miler and just sneaking in under 3 hours, well done.

Just run, that sounds like a hard 10K, great time though. I have a 10 mile road and HM trail coming up both with plenty of hills, why do we do this again?

So last week stats:

27.02.17 - 6.56
    01.03.17 - 4.06
    03.03.17 - 5.00
    05.03.17 - 3.12

YTD = 182.07

So some nice runs this week, I usually go out early before work and it is now light enough to run without a head torch by 06.15! I have also been in the gym and for a dip in the pool.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Good running & racing all. Busy week with a couple of niggles as well meant no running for me until yesterday's 10 miler.

March 10
    YTD 223.1
  • FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Hi all! 

Anyone else have a really rainy weekend run? I did the Warwick Half on Sunday and it rained for a good couple of hours. I had to turn the half into an 18 mile training run, so I ended up running there and back as well as doing the race. It stopped raining a little ways into the race, but the standing round in the cold rain waiting for the start was not fun! 

Anyway, with last week's runs my milage for the year is now 147.24 ^_^ 
  • Wotcha peeps!

Don't normally post here on a Monday but yesterday's race meant moving my LSR to today (and a day off work to fit it in!).

Great 10K JR and very nice race report.. your 10K sounded a lot harder than mine, which was basically flat apart from a small "hill" at the start and a long slow drag at the end.

Fantastic 20-miler there senidM - bodes very well for your mara. target... and, yes - you're absolutely right: I absolutely wanted to get out of the rain as quickly as possible - I really struggle to regulate my body temperature and I get very cold very quickly!

Glad you're enjoying your new kit, Harmander - I'm sure you will look as dashing as ever (although I'm not sure anything can trump senidM's tights!!!!). I can't get to grips with the Boost sole... my shoe of choice is the Adidas Supernova Glide (6 is/was the best ever!). I have a pair of Boosts and they're too squishy - they give me aching ankles if I run too far in them, so they've been relegated to casual wear, unfortunately :(

David - you've got some great consistency going... and throwing in a bit of cross-training too - nice! :smile:

Nick - take care of yourself... only four weeks 'til Manchester - can't afford to have niggles now!

Faya - yep, I think just about everyone else had torrential rain... except Harmander, whose super powers fended off the really bad rain so he only had drizzle :smiley: Well done on getting 18 miles, including racing, under your belt in the awful rain!

I clocked up 22.21 miles today... then checked the great god "The Plan" and discovered that it only required me to do 21 miles - so I've banked 1.21 miles extra. I thundered off too fast for the first half of the run, even did miles five and six at goal marathon pace (by accident) as I was feeling great. The final 1.2 miles were a bit of a death march at 10:29/mi. - but still managed to average 9:44/mi. for the whole run.

YTD: 316.12 miles.