The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Great running everyone as Nell says - over 300 miles is fantastic Nell
    I got a pair of Boost Supernova too.  
    Currently wearing out the last bit of tread on a Brooks and Ultra Boost too.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Harmander - you've just reminded me I need to order a new pair of shoes soon as both my pairs have racked up nearly 500 miles now so will need retiring in the not too distant future.

Nell - I presume that will be your longest run of your training cycle? You must be only a few weeks away from being able to taper now? Try and avoid 'taper madness' though!

No running was scheduled here yesterday, which was just as well as we had a very disrupted night's sleep on Sunday night with our little girl and I then managed to get a migraine last night so wouldn't have been able to run anyway! Tonight is also a rest night, but back to it on Wednesday, all being well.

• Some big mileages being posted, well done all

Back to back 11km runs for me at the weekend, rest yesterday & back on it tonight in the rain & running club 10k tomorrow night.

214 miles YTD

• I ended up on around 86 miles for February which was my highest mileage month for over a year and made a good start to March with 10 steady miles on March 1st with four more miles added on March 3rd. Unfortunately I've taken the decision to rest up for a while now as although the adductor injury from last year is hugely improved it's still not quite healed and with the prospect of hernia surgery in a few months it's become abundantly clear that this would be a good point to take a rest for possibly a couple of months and probably a bit longer. I expect to get round the Reading HM with no major issues next week but that's all I'm gonna be doing for the foreseeable future. It's disappointing of course but it's for the best in the long term. I'm currently targetting the Great South Run as my next main event.

I never liked summer training anyway, it gets too warm quite too quickly here on the south coast! Good luck to everyone else in your endeavors. :)

March  14.22
    2017  165.36
  • Hello everyone - BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
    I did 13.46 miles yesterday AND again today (although I was about ten minutes slower today).
    ANYWAY - this means I have crossed the halfway line as my:
    YTD = 504.30 miles.
    Its all down hill now YIPPEEEEE
  • GUESS WHAT
    Am doing the same again tomorrow
    About 10 on Saturday and SILVERSTONE HALF on Sunday
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting the LSR in Nell. 

Couple of days rest for me before an easy 6 miles this evening. Managed to stop my watch at the bottom of a hill so done myself out of a quarter of a mile or so but a very enjoyable run.

March - 23.96

2017 - 176.97

• Yes, Andrew... longest run but a week and a half away from tapering yet - believe me, I'm ready for that taper! Hope you are fully rested and recovered now.

Hey Hobie - lovely to see you again... nice back-to-back runs there.

Best of luck, Matt - hope recovery and impending surgery go well and you get back to running as smoothly as possible when you best see fit :smile:

YAY!!! Congrats. Harmander - half way... you can put your feet up for a bit if you want (as if!!! LOL)

Thanks JR! Don't diddle yourself out of mileage... every inch counts y'know :wink:

Just 4.97 miles for me today (annoyingly - should have paid proper attention to my Garmin and run that extra 0.03 miles!). Did a Fartlek session at the track - legs were very tired by the end of the day and well ready for the sports massage I had this evening.

YTD: 321.09 miles.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Nell - I'm not surprised that you need a taper after all the miles you've been churning out! Sports massage sounds good - I keep meaning to book in for one but never seem to have the time for it!

Harmander - usual bonkers mileage I see ;-) On this basis, you only need to run about 50 miles a month to get to the 1000 target by the end of the year! Good luck at Silverstone!

Matt - sorry to hear about your layoff, but it sounds like the sensible thing to do. You'll come back stronger from it I'm sure.

JR - ticking along nicely there.

I did a session last night which included some short intervals and totalled 4.5 miles.

145.5 YTD

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Another 4.5 easy tonight, so up to 150 YTD.
  • Thank you AndrewD
    A tad faster than Race Pace 14.17 miles makes:
    YTD = 518.47 miles.
    Am trying to get 10 marathons distance ahead of Little Nell by the time of VLM.
    I have no idea why though lol
  • Forgot my usual greeting last night so here's two to make up for it:

Hi dee hi... Hi dee ho, folks!

Andrew, I can highly recommend a sports massage - it really irons out the kinks. I've had slight IT band niggles in my right leg and hip as the mileage has ramped up but felt nothing at all in tonight's run - everything felt much freer, although my glute. med. is aching a bit but it was a very deep massage last night so I'd expect a bit of ache.

:p  Harmander - I fully expect you to make that target... I could never even approach your level of mileage and my marathon is three weeks or so before London so I'll be dropping back in miles for about a week after Manchester to recover!

7.21 miles for me tonight - I can't fit some of my planned runs into a lunch hour any more so my usual lunchtime Thursday run was relegated to an evening run. Did one mile warm up then 5 miles at goal marathon pace and 1.21 miles cool down. Felt great - except for a bit of a sore stomach... my own fault I ate some houmous that I had scraped some mould off - it did still taste a bit odd and I wasn't sure I should have eaten it!

YTD: 328.30 miles.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

8.7 steady miles in 1:22 after work today. Will have a catch up this evening, serious amount of stuff to cram into this weekend. 

March - 32.66

2017 - 185.67

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    182.1 and the tread mill keeps going. 
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Mrs JR would definitely have ran the extra 0.03 miles Nell, but then she's been known to run around the house three times to make up the extra distance!

I have intervals next week Andrew, not looking forward to them.

Mouldy Humous!?! Nell, that is disgusting lol. 

Donnie, as much as I hate the dreadmill I really admire the fact you've managed to churn out so many miles on it. When are you planning to go outside?

• Wotcha peeps! :smiley:

Nice mileage JR - hope you're having a fun weekend! I would normally have run the extra 0.03 miles as well... but I didn't see the annoying final total until I'd already got back into work, so I didn't bother just this once. My houmous adventure was down to my loathing of food waste - although I think I probably should have binned it all this time... still, tum is all fine now.

Well done for still getting the mileage done Donnie - the weather's really improving now so maybe you'll feel the call of the road soon :smile:

Good luck for Silverstone tomorrow, Harmander... I'm sure you'll be metronomic as per usual!

6.28 miles for me yesterday evening with a good negative split and 3.66 miles of fasted progression run this morning... 20 miles due tomorrow, which will give me my heaviest mileage week by far because I did my 22 on Monday - it'll be about 64 miles for the week *eeek* :open_mouth: 

YTD: 338.24 miles.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Did 5 miles on Friday (including 3 at tempo pace) then 6 miles earlier this morning. Completes back to back 20 mile weeks for the first time in over 6 months ( and 20 miles 3 of the last 4 weeks)!

161 YTD.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
     Bit of a short week for me after last Sundays wet'n'windy 20 and wanted a time at Dartford half. Was a hilly run with a big one at 10M, but a nice downhill finish, and I got the 1:47 I wanted, with only a little bit of sandbagging at the end.  ;)

Next week is Stowmarket half and I want a sub 1:42; we'll see.

Wk: 10     26.25      YTD       320.74
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    186.1 miles (all treadmill)

My indoor running has come about for two reasons. TBH I've used the gym a lot over the years, easy on the way home from work, 4 to 6 miles on the treadmill, watch TV, shower and away in time for tea. Its very time efficient.

However there is a little more to my story and there is something I'm fighting to overcome. In 2015 I randomly fainted and in 2016 had a dizzy spell when but for the person standing next to me garbing me, I'd have hit the deck again. Both were when standing around and neither was connect to running or exercise. It lead to a heap of medical tests from a supportive marathon running GP and I'm happy I'm perfectly well. As much as a diagnosis was made it was anxiety. I've battled on, for example I've never missed work but the whole thing has made me anxious. Strangely although the whole thing was not connected to running, I've developed a bit of a thing about running outdoors. Hard to explain. I've a local 10k outdoors in May, a planned outdoor half in August and the Yorkshire marathon in Oct.

I have previous run outdoors a lot including 2 sub 4 hour marathons in 2014 and 15.
  • Hello all,
    Had a fantastic pacing at Silverstone Half earlier today after the usual 10.19 miles yesterday. Had the flag saying to finish in 2:29:00 - after a slightly faster start (by a minute) in the first mile to get past the congestion - I adjusted it over the next few miles and completed it in 2:28:41 - just 19 seconds out
    Got a lot of thanks from those running with me - made it feel really nice - one chap knocke of 15 minutes off his PB and said he didn't even feel it because all he did was keep up with me and not think about his speed..
    My YTD = 541.66 miles

• Thank you for you confidence in me Nell
  • Evenin' all!

Well done on your consistency Andrew - it's great to get a bit of regular running under your belt.

Hey senidM, that's some very nice racing racked up by you... best of luck for the sub-1:42! :smile:

Donnie, your two collapsing incidents sound very unnerving - I can fully understand your reticence to run outside (plus the gym does sound very convenient! :wink: ) Do you have a friend or workmate who can run with you to help you get back to outside running in preparation for your upcoming races? That way you'd maybe feel more relaxed if you know there'd be someone there in the event of an emergency.

Yay! Ace pacing, Harmander - well done! I, of course, expected nothing less from you. In fact, due to your exploits and dedication to pacing, I think I would very much like to do some pacing in the future... perhaps 2:00 or 2:10 for a HM.

A very nice 20.06 miles for me today, with the final 3 miles at goal marathon pace... actually the final three and a bit miles I accelerated and ended up being faster than MP. I'm happy with that. Due to having done my 22-miler on Monday, this has ended up being a 64.39 mile week - by far the most I've ever done!

YTD: 358.30 miles.

• Morning all,

Reading though, some great running going on at the moment.

Harmander great pacing at Silverstone, it can really help having someone to run with, you guys do a great job, well done on passing the half way mark (already)!

Senidm, good luck for the Stowmarket half, hope you smash the 1.42 target!

Donnie2, nothing wrong with the treadmill, I use it myself in the winter as I generally run in the morning before work, and although I have a good head torch you can't beat the comfort of the gym "occasionally"

Nell, great mileage for the week (64.39) impressive, if you had managed this every week you would be on 643.90!

Some stats for the week.

06.03.17 - 6.87
    09.03.17 - 3.12
    10.03.17 - 3.75
    12.03.17 - 3.12

YTD = 198.93

So according to the spreadsheet, mileage is back on the increase over the next few weeks with interval/hill & tempo training included, which is all for the good as I need to work on my distance running & pacing. Currently I am running around 8 minutes a mile which is fine, but pace seriously dropping of after 10 miles or so.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Lots of great running going on in this thread, hard for me to keep up with it all.

PompeyMatt - sorry to hear of your issues, it sounds like a good (but tough) decision to take a bit of an extended break.

Harmander - great mileage, and fantastic pacing as always.

Nell - good mileage from you too, please avoid any slightly dodgy food now for the next 3 weeks! I am the same though, I hate to see food going to waste. As a result I had a massive curry last night as my wife decided she only wanted to eat half what she had ordered. Felt I had earned it though lol

Donnie - I suppose we are all creatures of habit and once you are used to the routine of the treadmill then you keep doing it. If you wanted to get into running outside more then I think Nell's suggestion of going with a friend, or maybe with a local running group, might be a good idea?

I had a good week of training after a bit of a write off the week before, did 3.7 jog-commute home from the train station on Tuesday, 8.1 with my running club on Wednesday (mostly easy pace with a 1 mile effort up a hill), then did the Finchley 20 race yesterday. Race report below.

Mar 41.8
    YTD 254.9

Finchley 20 was 4 laps of 5 miles each, a nice event run by Hillingdon AC, well marshalled and the majority were very encouraging which I always think makes a big difference. The route was somewhat undulating although there were no really steep hills so probably quite a fast course, and conditions were good, around 10 degrees, no wind to speak of, though it did rain for about the whole second half so I was pretty well soaked through by the end. I decided to run the first and last laps at easy (ish) pace, and the middle 2 at about marathon pace effort. Both paces ended up a bit faster than I hoped/expected, but the effort felt about right, which I think is a good sign - easy pace at 8:07 average and MP at 7:36 for a final time of 2:37:01.

I was quite pleased to be able to back off after 10 miles of the MP section, which maybe means that my MP should be a bit slower, though I don't know how much difference the taper will make. Certainly it indicates that my original target of sub 3:30 (8:00 pace) should be very achievable and I'll probably aim to set off around 7:45. Taper time now though as just under 3 weeks until Manchester!
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Those 20 mile weeks soon build your endurance Andrew, consistent running :-)

Great Half senidM. Good luck with the sub 1:42. I feel sick just thinking about running that pace.

Donnie, glad to hear it hasn't affected your running. Well marshalled events sound ideal for you. 

Well done Harmander, can't beat that great feeling of knowing you have helped someone achieve their goal. Brilliant.

Nell, that's some mileage total for the week! Well done on the 20 miler.

16.1 miles for me yesterday in 2:56. Felt good up to about 12/13 miles before I started to feel tired. Knowing there was only 3/4 miles left was more than enough to keep me going. 

March - 48.76

2017 - 201.77
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Some monster stuff from JR, Nick, Nell, Harmander and SenidM (and anyone else I've missed) - props to you all (as the kids say!).

Donnie, David - good consistent stuff too. Remember we only need to average 19.xx miles per week across the year to hit target.

Due to the way my weeks are structured (with other commitments) I ran at 9am yesterday and don't run again until 8pm Wednesday, so am enjoying approximately 83 hours rest! But then it is scheduled to be a tempo run Wednesday, easy Thursday, intervals Friday and long run Sunday (all being well).

Aiming for 20 again this week, then a quieter couple of weeks to taper for the 10k, then think about upping the mileage slightly from 20 a week. I know this all sounds excessively cautious, but I'm trying to play the long game here and even if I don't catch up with the pro rata figure until December I'll still be happy.

Something we don't focus on too much on this thread is improvements in race times and pb targets. Does anyone have any for this year that particularly stand out? My main target this year is a sub20 5k.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, targets are an interesting topic. Personally, I've only been running for 18 months, so naturally am still improving, and as such I expect to PB at all distances I race this year. I definitely find I train much better with a goal to work towards though and have followed a much more structured training plan that when I started out. At the start of the year I wrote some targets elsewhere on this forum, and have already achieved what I thought would be the toughest one, which was a sub-20 parkrun (actually smashed it with 19:30, down from 20:14).

What is your current 5k PB? I have found that tempo runs for marathon training have really helped my speed over shorter distances - these started as 5.5 miles and more recently have been 8 miles. Once I've done the marathon I might try some interval sessions as well.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

20.42, but that was 18 months ago, injuries preventing me getting close to that time again last year. I agree that tempo runs are key in helping to improve endurance, and have now got my continuous tempo runs up to three miles. Will think about extending them further as my weekly mileage increases.

Like you, I made big improvements in my first year or two of running, then hit the injury brick wall, so be careful not to follow in my footsteps by overdoing it!

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Hi all!

I'm so impressed by everyones numbers. And nice one Harmader on being an awesome pacer. You guys are especially impressive. 

I have a feeling I overdid it last week with my half+ run there and back. My legs are way too tired and I'm not running quite right. I was supposed to be doing a 20 mile training run yesterday, but changed that to a 30 min recovery run. I'm into tapering now for the marathon, so I might just be turning my legs over for the next couple of weeks, getting them back and ready for Manchester. It's going to mean my milage is going to take a hit, but better that then injury. 

Ooo targets. I've got targets, but I think I've got a lot of work to do before I can really start tackling them again. 

Milage so far this year: 154.16
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Andrew - I will try not to get injured! I think my challenge is more fitting the runs in - I struggle to fit in more than 3 runs a week. The only other real option is doing some sort of run-commuting, but that has it's own complications (I work 17 miles away and there's no showers at work, for a start), though I have been thinking about how I might be able to make it work.