The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Run commuting is also out for me (10 miles away and no showers either) so I have to be really strict on the times I get to run, in order to squeeze 4 runs a week in.

Faya - likewise, I am nowhere near my targets yet and have a lot of work to do over the next few months to try and hit them in the last third of the year.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Is anybody there?
  • I am here AndrewD,
    Another 12.75 miles as recovery run last night.
    YTD= 554.52 miles in 99 hours 59 minutes and 36 seconds over 73 days
    40 training runs and 14 races including Parkruns.
    Average run distance = 15.267 km (9.486 miles)
    10:49 minute/mile
    Marathon pace of 4:43:40
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    196.2 miles (treadmill). I'll be out side soon. Thanks for the support, encouragement and suggestions.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Good going Harmander - you should have run the extra 24 seconds to get to 100 hours!

5 miles last night brings me up to 166 YTD.

• AndrewD, 
    Thought I would use the 24 seconds as a head start for tonight's run. Did the same distance (12.75 miles) but nearly two minutes faster.
    YTD = 567.27 miles
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Real up and down couple of weeks for me. I am now a Grandad! I'm also going to be an uncle for the second time and someone drove into the back of my car at speed....waiting for engineers report but I fear the car may be written off. No-one was seriously hurt although my eldest son and I both suffered whiplash.

No runs after Sundays 16 but back out there today for 5 steady miles with Mrs JR.

March - 53.76

2017 - 206.77
  • Congratulations on the birth of the grandchild JR - also pleased that no one was injured.
    Just take it easy for a bit as whiplash is said to be one of those things that the full effect is not immediately known or felt.
  • Howdy pardners!

Nice to see the regulars still clocking up the miles here...

Andrew you're getting some excellent miles in the bank - must be great to be back after last year's challenges! :smile:

Good to hear the spreadsheet is still on the go David - nice running.

Take it steady, Faya - look after your legs ready for Manchester :smiley:

Nick - your training sounds like it's going really well... I can't believe you've only been running 18 months or so... really well done on your progress! :open_mouth:

Donnie, great consistency on the old tready - your determination is impressive.

Well done on your outstanding 10-week report Harmander - I only did 16 races in total throughout last year and you're already close to that number before the end of Q1!!!

Good luck for Stowmarket, senidM - if you pop in here before Sunday. You'll be well ahead of me if you hit your sub-1:42 goal :smile:

Wow - JR... so much has happened to you since I last posted... some good running before the frustration of the car crash - hope you and your son recover OK, take care with getting back to running - it is good to hear you feel well enough to get back out again but, as Harmander says, from my experience it's actually worse than you think. On the positive though, many congrats. on the arrival of your grandchild and impending arrival of niece/nephew. Hoping for an upswing in luck for you...

The target discussion is an interesting one - a bit like Nick, I've started doing some really focused training over the past year or so and as a result I PB'ed in almost every race I did last year and the start of this year. I had two targets in my great god "The Plan" for the marathon, one of which was a target I had set myself anyway (a sub-1:45 HM... the other was a 46 min. 10K), and I've achieved both of them. I must admit I tend to edge downwards with my targets rather than going for large reductions in time.

Two runs for me since Sunday: track interval session on Tuesday totalling 4.76 miles, and 7.05 miles last night trying to lock in to marathon pace (but failing and running ~15 seconds per mile too fast for the whole distance). I'm feeling tired now and I have Wilmslow HM on Sunday... I start tapering on Monday and I'm very ready for it!

YTD: 370.11 miles.

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    So far, according to my Garmin, have ran 612 miles, been averaging 50-60 miles per week. did 20 yesterday fell, in the wet with someone and just managed 8. not doing park run today, as my top speed is not available, on tired drained legs and body.

• PaulMarsh,
    Welcome and I am really pleased there is someone else setting the pace (in terms of mileage) - am going to try and not fall further behind you.
    10.19 miles including Parkrun today making
    YTD = 577.46 miles 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nell - 4 more on Thursday and 4.5 last night including plenty of intervals brings me to 174.5 YTD. Rest day today though, and a potentially boozy night tonight so tomorrow's long run may be later in the day and slower than last week's 8.45am effort!!
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    thanks, i'll be ramping up my training to around 120 mpw by june. ran another 10 this afternoon, them a long run sunday morning.
  • That is brilliant - even in my heyday I only ever did about 75 miles a week - as a 10,000m meter runner.
    What is your pace like for different distances?
  • Wotcha peeps!

Andrew - is your increased regular mileage working towards a target event? Hope you have a great boozey night out! :smiley:

Paul - that's very high mileage! You'll be done and dusted with the 1000 miles in no time at all if it's sustained.

Harmander... I'm intrigued to hear what you think about Paul's mileage, especially since you, as the king of high mileage, only ever topped out at 75 miles per week - is it sustainable?

A fasted 6.02 miles for me today. It was supposed to be slow but I naturally slipped into 8:XX/mi. so I decided to change to another attempted goal mara pace... still ended up a tad fast though at 8:40/mi. - but this is the closest I've got to my hoped for 8:45/mi. for Manchester.

YTD: 376.13 miles.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Nell - night out was good thanks, feeling the effects this morning though. Toddler and hangover doesn't mix too well!

I've got a 10k in 2 weeks time which I'm working towards at the moment.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi all, bad run today. Set off for a steady 13.1 and cruised along for the first half. An awful headwind saw my pace drop off on the way home and at 10 miles it all kind of fell apart. Went home, had a bath and threw up. Feeling a little better now and finally feeling hungry. Will have a rest day tomorrow and see how I feel before going out Tuesday. On a positive note I wore my new trainers, Saucony Echelon 5's which were recommended for orthotics wearers, they were great.

March - 66.86

2017 - 219.87
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Another quietish week for me as I was away for a few days, but gave me a mini-taper before Stowmarket 1/2, so all good.

Windy, undulating course, and seemed to be a head wind right up to 8miles, so was more than happy with a 1:43:09 and an age category win (I do love a piece of silverware). Gives me a predicted marathon time of about 3:50, which I'll take any time, but on the day..........

Nell, sounds like your training is going well; when your struggling to run slower than you want to, its always a good sign, if you know what I mean.  ;)

Wk 11:     29     YTD       349.74
  • On the VLM 2017 First Timers Forum, others had also reported poor runs today - here is my reply:
    Must be the weather - lots of people reporting poor runs.
    In answer to barneschar's question, I can only offer an opinion based on my experience and how I motivate those running with me who are having a bad run.
    Today was one of those days for a co-runner - he is recovering from a (now diagnosed) knee injury caused by doing a tough trail marathon on New Year's Eve.
    We set out at a minute a mile slower pace from my house to our training lap venue ad decided to slow down even more along the way because he just wasn't in the mood. While there I persuaded him to do first one extra lap than he planned (each lap is 1.25 miles) and then when on it suggested he does another one to keep me company before setting off home (some 3.5 miles away). When he completed it we both felt better (running at 5:38 marathon pace). I joined him on the way home but turned off into a local park where there is a Parkrun course and did five laps there before going home - he did 12.5 miles instead of the planned 10 and I did 19 miles instead of 17 speeding up to average a 5:31 marathon pace overall. We both were winners despite a bad day mood wise.
    Nell, Paul's high current mileage and planned increase is not exceptional as many pro athletes do even more - it is reported Mo does about 140 a week. Also the ultra marathoners do substantially more per week too - James who did 400 marathons in 400 days for example covered more than 180 miles a week in pretty good times. It is why I asked Paul about his pace at different distances.
    I would like to guess that Paul is about a 42 minute 10 km runner and about a 7 minute miler for a half marathon but will wait for him to tell us.
    Also, it is the type of training runs he does too that matter. In my hey day as I was saying I did a lot of speed work, intervals, Fartlek, to make the 75 miles a week and managed a PB of 30 minutes 14 seconds for the10,000m (in 1979).
    I changed the mix but not the mileage when I moved to longer distances and achieved a 1:22 half and changed the mix again to get a 3:11 for a marathon. So it's not the mileage but what makes up the mileage
    With today's LSR my:
    YTD = 596 44 miles
  • Sorry for the long boring reply BTW
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    Looking at my times and distances the averages are this:
    I'm going away in June to Spain to do two weeks of running where I'm going, mainly to run in new places than increasing fitness, and running is relaxing anyway.

5k pb: 17:55
    10k      41:30
    1/2 M 1:27

• Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Evenin' mille milers!

Hehehe, Andrew - hope the head's feeling a bit better now. Happy training for your 10K... going well so far, I think.

JR - sorry to hear you had a rough day today, the wind has been awful but it sounds like there was something else as well with you being sick after your run. Hope you're fully recovered soon. At least the shoe test went well! :smile:

senidM - many congrats on an excellent time and especially the age group win - hope the silverware was suitably impressive :wink: Slate's marathon predictor gives you 3:50:03 (tantalisingly) - using today's HM time with an average of 32 miles per week in training (that's your current total mileage divided by 11, obviously) and a hard, undulating course. Is this the predictor you use?
    http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/10/running_calculator_introducing_slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html

Au contraire, Harmander - not boring at all... it's always very interesting to hear your experienced word of wisdom. I'm always keen to learn and hear from those who know a lot more than me :smile: I really like your motivational approach. I'm lucky in that I'm usually pretty good at making myself do what needs doing - but it is a lot easier to do when there's someone else there too - e.g. my lunchtime runs with work colleagues... I tend to work harder with colleagues than when I go out at lunchtime on my own.

So... Wilmslow HM today. Went with no real goal or idea of pace in my mind (which is very rare for me - I usually like to organise to the second... pace goals, alerts, etc.!). Ended up doing a very narrow (by 5 seconds) PB... ran 1:43:48 - so, bested by senidM on this occasion :smiley: Can't help wondering if this was a bit silly two weeks before my first marathon - but felt fine... feel fine... and it's done so no going back now. We shall see! Also did 2.12 miles of warm up to bring the total for the day to 15.22 miles when it should have been 18 miles - but the HM was 2 minutes per mile faster than I would have run the 18 miles LSR. Slate's gives me a predicted marathon time of 3:49:34 from my HM PB and my 10K PB - fingers crossed!

YTD: 391.35 miles.

EDITED TO ADD: those are some sharp times there Paul - Harmander's comments are obviously spot on :smile:
  • Morning,

So still some great running going on, with some impressive totals.

Just Run, Congratulations on becoming a Grandad, sorry to here about the car accident hope you are both okay, I had the same thing back in 2014 I was waiting at a roundabout when I was hit from behind at about 50mph, totally wrote my car off as it also pushed me hard into the van in front (I was fine, just a bit shook up). Turns out the driver that hit me was looking at his phone he was also uninsured, it did go to court and he was banned for 6 months!
    Senidm, Great result at Stowmarket, who doesn't love a bit of silverware!!
    Nell, Another PB well done, great total along with some great running.

13.03.17 - 5.62
    15.03.17 - 4.06
    17.03.17 - 4.06
    19.03.17 - 4.06
    YTD = 216.73

Happy with my progress thus far, mileage will be slowly ramping up over the next few weeks and legs feel okay after my injury in November.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Nell - well done on the pb! Rest up for the next two weeks I think is the best advice!

JR - glad you didn't suffer too badly in the accident, although do you think the throwing up yesterday may be as a result of the whiplash? Take it easy.

Harmander - monster miles as usual.

As for me, I felt pretty rough all day and had to drag myself out late afternoon to complete my long run. 6.5 miles (longest run since 24 August last year according to the spreadsheet!) in 1:01:22, so a bit slower than normal long run pace - no doubt due to being tired, dehydrated and not having eaten all day! Came home and had a bath, a little bit of pizza and then bed at 9.30! Getting too old for drinking ......

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

181 YTD by the way
  • Busy birthday weekend for me felt guilty on Saturday so out for my usual 10k loop. Sunday decided to join a guy from our running club who was doing a charity 40 mile run...I ran from my house up towards the way he was coming planning to time it so that I joined with about 8 miles to go...I did 20 miles by the time I got home. Felt terrible when I got  home...lack of fueling I think but legs feel fine today.

268 miles YTD

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    senidM - congrats on the category win

AndrewD - well done on the longest run for a while. Sounds like there's good reasons why it was slower!

Harmader/Paul - impressive mileage.

Nell (as I said elsewhere) - another great PB!

Last week I did 3.4 very easy (9:11 avg) on Tuesday, then 6.5 with my running club on Wednesday that had about 6 at target MP, then 13.1 yesterday that had about 10 at target MP. Have just about settled on a target for Manchester marathon now, will try and follow the 3:15 pacer and see where that gets me. Though caveat that if I'm not feeling it on the day I will be more conservative.

Probably won't hit 100 miles for March as tapering down now, but should still get over 90 so staying ahead of the curve (which I'll need to be, later in the year).

March 65 miles
    YTD 278.1
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    Did 13 miles this evening and 6 this morning. This evening run was at a 8-9 min/mile pace a recovery pace after two long runs last weekend, not to tax my muscles, but to get used to digging in deep into my reserves.
    Felt quite good, the route I took had quite a few steep hills and kept pushing myself and still felt ok. I was tempted to go into 7 min/mile pace but reminded this was a recovery.
    The 6 this morning was 4 very fast at almost a painful pace and 2 warm up/down.
    total: 655

• Great going Paul.
    Have you seen the Fetch running Forum, they are the 100 mile a week bunch