The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Only just signed up today. Can I join you? I'm a little out of shape at the moment but should be able to make up more miles later in the year :) and I do love a good challenge.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie - good luck with your race targets

Harmander - sorry to hear about your friend. But great mileage from you and nice to have your name in the magazine! And well done on the 20 as well, I think it's really great that you organise these runs every year.

Nell - great mileage from you so far this year. I'm sure you will smash your target at Manchester. 6 days to go...I can't wait.

senidM - sorry to hear about your fall, sounds no permanent damage so hopefully you will be back to normal in no time.

JR - glad you are feeling better again. Bacon and egg rolls are the food of champions! I agree doing long runs in races can be preferable. Don't be afraid to walk up hills on a long hilly run.

Andrew - hope your neck is ok. Hope your race went well if it was this weekend (or have I remembered wrongly?)

Apollo - Welcome! How have you got on so far?

Similar to Nell, I did my last longish run before Manchester this weekend, decided to do a parkrun sandwich. Ran there at what felt like pretty easy pace, but came out as only about 10-15s per mile slower than target marathon pace, though it is net downhill. Then did parkrun at target marathon pace, very pleased with even splits although it felt a little harder than I would have liked. Then I ran back with a friend who lives near me and had also run there. Kept it easy but this came out much slower, a minute per mile slower than my run there. The main reason for this was I think that we were running into a headwind, which I hadn't noticed when it was behind me (and explains why my easy pace was so fast)! Also did 8 miles at easy pace on Wednesday.

March 84.6
    YTD 297.9
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Thanks Nick, but it is next Sunday.

Yesterday was run free and spent enjoying some nice family time with wife and daughter on Mother's Day. Weather was nice too.

Neck feels looser each day, so fingers crossed it will be sorted by next weekend.

Just a few short runs planned this week in prep for Sunday.

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD: 229.3

Good luck to those doing the Manchester marathon.

We are in a running boom. Entered a local running club 10k, its on Wed 17th May and I got one of the final places. Field restricted to 600.
  • Great mileages everyone.

Think I might have done something silly & signed up for an Ultra, as part of a team doing Pembrokeshire 100 mile. 3 of us doing 30ish miles each at the end of April. Any tips appreciated.

292 miles YTD

• Morning all,

Another week, and what lovely weather we have had down here in the south, it has been beautiful!

Nell, Well done on hitting 400 miles - try and take it easy this week, as Senidm has already said your training has gone well (I am sure you will smash the 4 Hours) look forward to the race report.
    Senidm, sorry to here about the injury, hope you are feeling better now - enjoy the break in the USA.
    JR / Nickw2, good luck for this weekend, have a good run and remember to enjoy it.
    Appollo86, welcome to our tread, good luck and if you ask our friend Harmander, he might lend you a few miles to get started (he has a few spare) :)

Stat's for last week.

20.03.17 - 7.5
    22.03.17 - 5
    24.03.17 - 5
    26.03.17 - 4.06

YTD = 238.29

Another good week, really enjoying going out at the moment and my leg feels so much better at last! as I said that last week, mileage is on the up so should keep ahead of the target.

Have a good week folks - enjoy Manchester!!!
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Welcome Apollo :-)

Nick I embrace the run/walk way of thinking, especially on tough runs. I've annoyed the hell out of a few runners who have finished behind me in races despite running the whole way. This weekends run will certainly have a fair whack of walks involved.

Nice one Hobie, I would like to do an ultra one day soon. I'm sure someone on here can offer some decent advice.

Weather has certainly been kind David... until tonight....I got soaked. Very refreshing though.

7 miles tonight with 1 mile warm up/down and 3 x 1.5 miles at 9:20 (9:10,9:12,9:02) so pretty much bang on. Felt good once I got going. 

Good luck to you Manchester runners and everyone else this coming weekend too.

March - 101.88

2017 - 254.89

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    200 up here, only 800 to go. Hmmmmm
  • 14.16 miles at race pace as recovery run after the 20 miler on Sunday making:
    YTD = 667.89 miles - well I am pleased to get over the two thirds mark
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Keep plugging on Andrew Harmander may be finished before we're done between us!

5 miles easy tonight. Nice hilly loop around the rugby club.

March - 106.88

2017 - 259.89
  • Well helloooo Thousand Mile Club!

Welcome Apollo - you currently need 25 miles per week to make 1000 miles by the end of the year... but start steady and don't increase your mileage too quickly!

Great running everyone... :smile:

Thanks Nick, DonnieDavid and JR - catatonic with nerves... am trying to take on board Harmander's steadying advice. I'm virtually useless at work I'm so distracted.

Whoa - Hobie... an Ultra - yikes! Good luck with that - I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Andrew - well done on reaching 200 miles (whoops - just typed 2000 miles... that'd be good going - not even Harmander's done that many miles (yet)!!! :lol:). Best of luck for Sunday... I'm sure you'll ace it!

Two thirds of the way done already, Harmander... are you ahead of where you were this time last year... it feels like you're ahead of last year?!?

A little track interval session for me this lunchtime to shake out the legs... totalling 4.67 miles inc. w/u & c/d - leaving just 3 or so easy miles for me on Saturday then some run or other on Sunday... hahaha (hysterical laughter!!!)

YTD: 423.44 miles.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Big March for me (320km). 

YTD total 841km  = 523 miles.

Unless Harmander takes a couple of months off (which doesnt sound likely) it looks like nobody is going to catch him!
  • Nell, & DadAgain
    Yes I am about 250 Km ahead of last year at this point - and about 7 seconds a mile faster but wanted to be 20 seconds a mile faster really. I promise to take it easy once I reach 1000 miles
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Andrew - ah, my mistake, good luck for Sunday then!

David - glad the leg is feeling better and allowing you to enjoy your running

Harmander - well done on reaching two thirds in less than a quarter of the year! And you are ahead of 1 mile per post as well :)

Nell - try not to be nervous. Just relax and try to enjoy it (I know it's easier to say than to do). As it's your first marathon (unless my memory is playing up again!) all you have to do to is finish and you will get yet another PB for this year. Having said that, your training seems like it has gone really well, so just trust in that and I am sure you will do great. Maybe see you before the race (though I am terrible at spotting people)

3.7 very easy jog-commute back from the train station for me on Monday, then 5.6 at target MP last night. Felt like hard work, hopefully it will feel easier on Sunday! 3 easy miles tomorrow then that's it before the marathon, which means I won't quite hit 100 miles for March.

March 94.0
    YTD 307.3
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nick - good luck yourself! And to Nell and anyone else racing this weekend. Looks like there quite a few of us to report back on Sunday/Monday!

Last proper session before Sunday for me this afternoon, 2 miles warm up (and it was warm out today!) 2 miles at race pace (7:30m/m) then a mile warm down. 3 recovery miles planned tomorrow and then nothing else before Sunday.

205 YTD
  • Good luck to you lucky lot doing Manchester on Sunday - just relax now. You have done all the hard work - panicking won't make yo run faster so just enjoy the experience..
    another 15.58 miles in 1h 59:35 which is 50 seconds faster than race pace (and uphill) tonight - happy with that. Makes 
    YTD = 683.49 miles - can see the 700 mark now
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, March has already seen me do 84 miles which is my best month since April 2016 (when I did 85) and if I do my 3 miles tonight as planned it will be my best month since February 2016! Still not much to shout about in terms of total miles (especially compared to lots on here), but in the context of the last 12-15 months, not bad!
  • Thank you Andrew and Harmander - I'm relaxing into the nerves and riding them out... got today and Monday off work, which helps!

Excellent mileage/"kilometre-age" there DadAgain... I believe (from thread lurking to gain intel.) you're doing London? Sounds like your prep. is going really well!

Yes... 700 within sniffing distance, Harmander - you'll be through that barrier on Sunday, I guess.

Andrew - I'm so pleased for you. Reading of your battle with injuries, and one step forward, two steps back journey, on last year's thread was heartbreaking. It's great that you really seem to be back on the road and hitting the mileage :smile:

No running to report - just checking in as I don't plan to run until tomorrow.

YTD: still 423.44 miles.
  • Nice Masters piece in this month's RW mag - with quotes from our own inimitable Mr. Harmander Singh... and some nice pics and section about Ed Whitlock, which serves as a fitting memorial.
  • I really must start buying RW after all these years lol.
    Any cut and paste or image would jog my memory of what I may have said.
    Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax Relax
  • LOL... thanks Harmander! :lol:

Pics emailed as requested.
  • 'ey 'op me ducks!

Final little run done before the big day: 3.25 miles done at what felt like an easy pace but ended up being approx. hoped for mara. pace. Was a nice leg shake out :smile:

YTD: 426.65 miles.
  • As I am Race Directing tomorrow, I did 14.85 miles plus the Parkrun today - a total of 17.95 miles so I could get over the 700 mile mark in 90 days.

YTD = 701.44 miles

All things being equal, I should get to 800 before the VLM as hoped for.

Nell and others, go sash Manchester tomorrow
  • So...

Just 26.22 miles for me today... LOL :smiley:

Had a wonderful day for my first ever marathon. Was great to meet a few forumites in RL and got real help from Just Coop Going to absolutely "smash" my goal... as instructed by Harmander above!

Here is my race report copied from the Manchester Marathon thread:
    Race report is pretty simple... ran bob on pacing throughout (11.2 km/hr for me) with a bit of a speed up for a fast (if not exactly sprint) finish of 11.3 km/hr. Hit half way at 1:51... exactly as recommended by the great Harmander Singh and continued to grind it out from there, slowing marginally in the second half for a small positive split.

Came in at 3:45:52 (GFA for London and a BQ)! *happy dance*

YTD: 452.87 miles.

• Nell,

Absolutely brilliant - well done.

When you do Boston next year you will be beating 200 minutes I predict.

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    YTD: 245.4

Congrats to the Manchester runners. Little Nell: 3 hr 45mins - great stuff
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well run Nell, sounds like you got it just right, great time!

(mssge sent from Charleston, 75degrees here, so no running for me,  :|)
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    26.2 for me as well today, 3:24:59 at Manchester. Long report is on the 3:30-4 or Shades thread if you are interested, in short, set off a 3:15 pace, felt great till about 15 miles and was very consistent, still felt ok but working slightly harder 15-20, reassessed to 3:20 goal, then started getting cramps in various muscles in my legs and wheels fell off a bit, but just about held on to sub 3:25. Am really pleased as when I started training for it my target was sub 3:30 which I thought was very optimistic.

Probably the only time I'll ever be ahead of Harmander in a month - doubt it will last long!
  • Morning all,

What a lovely week it has been again (except for Tuesday) lots of warm sunshine down here in the south.

Little Nell - as predicted well done, 3.45 totally smashing the 4 hour target, you must be very happy with that.
    NickW2 - again well done, 3.24 is a fantastic time, hopefully you are not to sore this morning.
    Harmander, 700 miles already, well done.

Stat's for me this week

27.03.17 - 8.75
    29.03.17 - 4.06
    31.03.17 - 4.06
    02.04.17 - 4.06

YTD = 259.22

As I said above, the weather down here has been lovely, had a lovely 14km run on Monday morning just as it was getting light and an even nicer 6.5km yesterday, it was slightly misty and cool with patches of sun breaking though.

Right time to get back to work - well done everyone...
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done to the marathoners - you should be very proud of your times.

My brief report on my 10k (copied from the MIddle Ground training thread)

Run Fest at Lee Valley 10k 

Lovely morning for the inaugural running of this race, which took place in a country park in Waltham Abbey. Started and finished at the white water centre where the 2012 Olympic canoeing and kayaking took place.

There was also a HM taking place, with a different start area so went to scope out the correct start area for my race during my warm up. Started bang on time at 9.45 with a loop of the canoeing course before heading out into the park for the main loop of the race. Kept the pace sensible, although slightly faster than my planned 7:30m/m before picking up to 7:05m/m for the 6th mile. My watch actually measured at 6.29 miles, and last 0.29 was done in just over 6m/m pace to allow me to dip under my target of 46 mins.

Watch said 45:56, still waiting for chip time to confirm this.

Overall, pretty happy with that and would happily recommend the event to others if they hold it again next year.

So 8 miles yesterday with warm up and down, gives me 216 YTD.