The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning to rescue 18 for the week - not as many as in the plan (and all easy paced) but better than I expected given the pain I was in this time last week.

515 YTD
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    507.9 miles

Prep for Newark half (13th Aug) started in earnest today. 11.25 miles in 1hr 35. Happy with that. Long slow road runs needed, have to do a bit more than Saturday parkrun and mid week treadmill at the gym.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Dalwood 10k for me this morning. It absolutely hammered down for the last mile and I ran through a maize field for the first time ever. They'd cleared a path for us but that was the most fun i've had in ages, being slapped in the face by leaves all the way down the field. 

July - 45.86

2017 - 499.22 (should have extended my warm up!)
  • JR, Donnie2 and AndrewD - all good, little gaps opening up but your forthcoming races will spur you on.
    16.95 miles LSR today as I prepare for the 50km next Saturday - given I may be guide running for Louise, I have decided to do a bit extra during the week.
    YTD = 1671.92 miles.
    I will let Little Nell tell me how far behind I am after she posts her latest figures.
  • Godaften allesammen!

Well done on getting out, Andrew - and battling through the dodgy knee and calf pain... 18 miles for the week is not bad at all.

JR - your daughter sounds ace! Congrats to her for the footballing success as well... of course, The Grecians are natural enemies of my home club when I was growing up, The Pilgrims :smiley: Congrats to you as well for the 10K this morning... sounds like it was "characterful"!!! I can't believe you didn't do a little trot around outside your house to do the final 0.78 mi. need for 500 :lol:

Great long running, Donnie, at a very nice pace! I do agree though - you will need to add a bit more running to make sure you're fully prepared for your HM :smile:

The usual phenomenal running by you, Harmander... you have gained 5.82 miles plus a parkrun (3.1) over me this weekend!

I parked my intended 4 or so easy yesterday to give my injured foot a rest. I could still feel it when I went out today - a discomfort and a sort lump/knot in the ball of my foot between the big toe and the next toe - but it survived 11.13 miles with 3 x a very hard and long hill rep in mile 7.

YTD: 729.53 miles (only 57.61miles ahead of Harmander - and he's closing fast! eeek :lol:)

• Sorry to hear about your injury Little Nell, hope it heals real quick. If it is any comfort, I have a stiff back which is preventing any speed work.
    I calculate that if we maintain our current averages, I am catching up at a rate of 4.6 miles every day - with an ultra coming up next week I estimate that we should be neck and neck by Sunday 6 August - if not, the Thames Meander marathon on 12 August should do it.
  • Morning all,

Seems like summer has packed its bags, I went out for a late run as normal last night around 9.0pm, blimey it was chilly and needed my light on from the start, lets hope it is only a temporary blip.
    Andrew, well done for last week, as Nell said 18 miles is not half bad.
    JR, well done on the rugby loop PB, sounds like your daughter is doing well, I am guessing she made a full recovery from last seasons injury. I have run though many wheat fields, however never maize, sounds like a lot of fun.
    Donnie2, great time for an 11.25 mile run, looks like you are on top of the training for Newark.
    Nell, glad you got home okay following your first commute run, hope the injury's soon heal, is there any way you can reduce the weight in the backpack as this would help along with plenty of Vaseline, I usually run in not home so I tend to bring in everything I need the day before, hence I only need my hydration backpack with keys and phone.
    Harmander, Great weekly total as usual, good luck for Twlight on Sunday only 50K!

Stats for last week.

18.07.17 - 10
    20.07.17 - 5.62
    21.07.17 - 5
    23.07.17 - 6.25

YTD = 648.02
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

My early morning Saturday 9 mile coast path run was very overgrown so lots of scratches & nettle stings but worth it for stunning scenery, today was a 4 mile lunch run.

700 miles YTD

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting through 700 Hobie. 

4 miles in the lovely English drizzle this evening. Felt like running through treacle for some reason though! Oh well, on to the next.

519 YTD
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Nell, my son trains with a Plymouth Argyle group but is an Exeter fan. He wears the Plymouth kit mondays and Exeter Citys on Saturdays. I love the fact he see's no problem in that.....yet! :-)

David, I only wish I had my childrens recovery powers! 

Up at 5am for an early morning 5k along the Grand Western Canal to smash through the 500 mile barrier at last. Hitting 1000 miles will be more than a challenge now but it remains the target. A beautiful morning in Devon.

July - 48.97

2017 - 502.33

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done JR - I do tend to agree about getting to 1000 being a challenge now though (for me, I mean). I still think 900 is the target I'm hoping for, with 1000 only being achievable if I have absolutely no more niggles or low mileage weeks at all.
  • Well done JR,
    You can do it - just 3 & 1/4 a day and you can have New Years Eve off.
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Helloooo, helloooo, helloooo...

That's very nice mileage by you, David - good going. Thanks for the tips re: the backpack - I'm really cross with myself... if I'd thought about it, my neighbour drove me to work and I could have just asked him to take all my gear home as well and I'd pick it up from him when I got home *DOH*!

Hobie, that coastal run sounds fantastic! You're still breathing down my neck, I see - well done on reaching 700 :smiley:

My favourite running weather is cool and drizzly, Andrew - sorry to hear your legs didn't enjoy it though. Still have 1000 miles in the back of your mind... with a fair wind behind you, you could still make it!

What talented, sporty children you have, JR - excellent! It's always a relief to hear of non-couch potato kids - there's some hope for the species yet. Congrats on breaking the 500-barrier! I'll say the same to you as I said to Andrew: still have 1000 miles in the back of your mind - it could still be doable :smile:

Uggghhh, Harmander - I can't match ultra mileage... that's just impossible! I await the impending whoosh as you sprint past me :lol:

A solo lunchtime run for me today as my usual running mate couldn't go. I attempted a tempo run - which I find quite difficult on my own. Totalled 5.26 mi. with about four miles at about 8:25/mi. (bit slower than I'd like) including 200 m near the end at 5:40/mi. just as a little blast.

YTD: 734.79 miles.

Edited to add: what's the point of having italics as a text option and then not applying it when the comment is posted!? Flippin' useless new forum... grrrrr... the *whoosh* for Harmander was supposed to be in italics!

• Whoosh indeed Little Nell,
    As it is going to be my birthday this week, I thought I would get extra mileage in, another 20.04 miles today (in 3:47:10 making my
    YTD = 1691.96 miles
    Just 42.83 miles behind you now Little Nell
    With Parkrun AND the 50km Ultra coming I might be there earlier than planned - sorry
  • Hello to every one here Presently ! Well we are an independent group of specialized IT professionals and data base technicians who are specialized in the production of quality documents such as passports,drivers license,id cards,stamps,visas,diplomas of very high quality and other products for all countries: USA, Australia,UK, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italian, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland . This list is not full. contact

email : (stepson788@gmail.com)

• Run along luckybrain,
    you are on the wrong group unless you can add what running you have to talk about.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    My planned 5 miler turned into a 5k last night as I started off way too fast . On the plus side, I ran 24.51 on a very hilly route and then managed to pursuade myself to do a warm down of 1.5 miles. 

July - 53.57

2017 - 506.93
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done JR.

I did 3 very rubbish miles on Tuesday and nothing yesterday. Still feeling pretty lacklustre today, so suspect some kind of low grade virus. Might get out for an easy 3 or 4 miles this evening depending on if I feel I can muster the energy!

522 YTD
  • 8.85 miles to get me over the 1700 mile mark by my birthday.
    YTD = 1700.81 miles

Going to rest until the Ultra on Saturday
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    4 slightly better, but still a bit lacklustre, miles this afternoon brings me up to 526 YTD. Still just over 40 behind the daily pro rata curve.
  • Good evening meine Freunde.

That's some nice speedy running there, JR - well done!

Look after yourself, Andrew... if you have got a bit of a virus your heart can be put under a lot more strain than usual - you don't want to come a cropper with illness or injury again. Good that you're keeping the miles ticking over though - as long as you don't push too hard :smile:

Happy 1700 miles Harmander, and Happy Birthday when it arrives (I'm sorry I don't remember the date - but I feel I should as I think we found out on last year's thread)!!!

So - I have, at long last, plucked up the courage to go along to a local running club for a track session. Even though it was nerve wracking and felt like the first day at a new school, everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed it a lot. I think I will join up properly and wear their (hideous) colours for future races :smiley: We did 20 x 200m with about 30-40 sec recovery in between (although I stepped out for reps 15 and 16 - so I only did 18 x 200m) @ ~45-47 sec per 200m. Distance totalled 4.69 miles including w/u and c/d.

YTD: 739.48 miles.

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    520.9 miles

13 thread mill miles this week (2x4 and a 5). 

• For the record, it is my birthday TODAY
    730 days to get my Freedom pass which I will use every day by taking a packed lunch and sitting on the Circle Line till I get bored. lol
  • Harmander, hope you had a good birthday & good luck for tomorrow's Ultra.
  • FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday for yesterday Harmander! Hope you had a great day!

Injury and illness have been a bane. Still managed the Snowdonia Trail Half last Sunday though. 277.02 so far. Going to aim for the 1000k for the year as suggested ^_^ 
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday (bit belated but....) Harmander, don't forget to catch the circle lane that actually goes in a circle when you finally get your freedom pass, otherwise you'll end up in Hammersmith!! And who would want that? ;) 
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Happy, if slightly belated, birthday Harmander. Awesome number of miles & enjoy the Ultra.

Bit quiet week for me, couple of short fast ones including a 22min club 5k beach race...running on soft fluffy sand is tough.

708 miles YTD

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Happy belated Birthday Harmander  :) 

Well done on the track session Little Nell. I really miss running with a club.

Hope you're feeling better soon Andrew. Better to have a bad training run than a race mind!

Very easy 5k in 29:36 today with some strides thrown in at the end. I'll never be the quickest but if i'm running sub 30 5k's with the brakes on I know i'm in fairly good shape. Maybe parkrun tomorrow!

July - 56.92

2017 - 510.28
  • Hey-ho!

No running for me today - just popped in and saw it was Harmander's birthday yesterday... so belated Happy Birthday mate and good luck for the Ultra tomorrow!!! :smiley:

LOL @ senidM - Hammersmith! :lol:

Cheers JR - it was great fun and I've moved a few things around so I can go again next Thursday. That's a nice 5K pace by you when running easy... good going!

YTD: still 739.48 miles.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Evening all - much better run this afternoon. 5 miles with 3 quicker ones in the middle - overall time for the 5 miles was about 39:30. Glad to finally bag a decent run after a weird week. 531 YTD.