The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Gentle 5k this morning in 29:53 analysing my body throughout the run. Everything feels good and I also wore my new jacket to give that a test run too (very comfortable and lightweight). A good nights sleep tonight and almost definitely on the start line tomorrow. I will do my usual and start right at the back taking the first three to four miles very, very easy then settle into a nice rythymn. It's a tough off road run along the Jurassic coast and will be visually stunning so one to simply enjoy. This is the picture above the entry link...
    product

September - 15.05

2017 - 597.40
  • Yes, I know!! Thunderstorms I think are a valid reason not to run though!

• Well, there will be no 3 Peaks Trail race for me tomorrow as the event has been cancelled. Absolutely gutted. We have had some serious rainfall here today and the course is just too dangerous according to organisers. A shame as I enter these kind of events for their tough courses, as well as their mud. Trying to see if there's something else I can do nearby.
  • Looking good on the TV this morning Harmander. I found that interview very inspiring. Hoping the three of you have a great run and looking forward to the write up.
  • Having watched Harmanders interview and Mo Farahs win I set off for a nice easy run around the lanes. Very comfortable 9 miles in 1:31 to give me 20+ for the week finally through 600 for the year.

Revised 2017 target - 900 miles

September - 24.05

2017 - 606.40

• YTD: 652.2

Home from the Vale of York half - completed in 1.47 with my quickest miles the final three. Hopefully, more or less, on track for a 4 hr York marathon in early Oct. If anyone is from that area I'd recommend the event. Field of 2100, loads of on site parking, easy access from the A1, pancake flat on completely closed roads - a lot going for it.

Looking forward to the Great North run updates. 

• Nice interview, Harmander, good to see a plug for the older runner, as well as for Sikhs in the City, sounds a very worthwhile group.

Had to watch it on iPlayer as I was running the Pilgrim Farnham 1/2 trail run - should think it was as far removed from the GNR as possible in every way. A trail run, S of the Thames, 500 entrants and almost all off road and in single file, was bliss. (Can you tell the GNR is not even on my bucket list of runs to do?)

Shame about the cancelled run JR, thats always a bummer.

Well done on the 1:47, Donnie, thats nearly 20min quicker than me, (but mine was by no means flat, lots of sand(?), mud and stiles, so.....)

YTD:         831.34
  • Morning all,

Harmander, Enjoyed the interview, I thought you were looking very relaxed, I hope you all had a good run and you enjoyed the slap up lunch provided by Nell.
    JR, Well done on getting out yesterday after the cancelled event, it looked lovely too.
    Donnie2, Great run and time yesterday, well done.
    Senidm, Pilgrim Run sound like fun, don't you just love the stiles?

Stat's for last week:

06.09.17 - 10
    08.09.17 - 5 (Fast finish)
    10.09.17 - 5 (Hill Intervals)

YTD = 839.87

So I am doing a little event at Dorney lakes (Windsor) this Thursday, it is basically a 6hr timed event at which you can do as many 2.62 mile circuits as you wish within the 6 hours, I shall stick to 10 or marathon distance, weather looks good and apparently it is lovely and flat so hopefully a good time is achievable, will keep you posted. 
  • Thank you all for the Oscar nominations - we all kidded my uncle for looking down during the interview and he explained he forgot his bridge at home and didn't want to show his missing teeth lol.

My original running number was 13012 - that I forgot at home and was therefore issued the new one (56367) without my name on it.

My aunt completed the run (walk really as she met up with some old friends) in 3:24.
    My uncle ran with a Darlington Harriers club colleague at 2:30 pace and did 2:29
    I ran with some new found (lady) fans and aimed for a 2:20 finish -  despite a wobbly 11th mile, we did it in 2:20:11. - am a little anxious about Richmond on Sunday because of the wobbly mile.
    The three of us were given VIP Guest Passes for the finish and enjoyed a right proper sit down nosh in the big marque so poor Nell had to wait longer for me to turn up. Thanks Nell, she offered but I was so full up with the VIP grub I had to decline. I consider the pledge fulfilled.
    YTD is now over 2073 but as it is getting ridiculous I will just leave it at that and say report the figure weekly with a race report.
    I have been told there are two Bournemouth marathon (8 October) race numbers going as they had to pull out and the transfer deadline has now gone - a small donation to a particular charity is all that is asked for.
  • Well done Harmander - I also saw the interview and thought you did very well.

I have had a rubbish week mileage wise, so will just report the yearly total to date as being at 631. Must do better from this week on.

• Just catching up with all the amazing work going on here...mostly for inspiration to get me out in the wind & rain to keep logging some miles...so off out to do some more.

I've been trying to do some longer ones training for Snowdonia Marathon.

857 miles YTD

• A couple of longs runs in preparation for the Berlin marathon and I'm now at 887miles. Had two days off now and looking forward to a run tonight. I should be above 900 miles by the time I do the Harrow half marathon on Sunday (very slowly). 

Just Run - I ran the jurassic coast half marathon in the summer, it was a beautiful race but the hills were hard. Hat off to you just for signing upto the three peaks. The jurassic coast run was my intro to trail running - really enjoyed the variety of surfaces and occupying my mind with where I put my feet rather than how fast I move them.
  • What ho folks!

Donnie - I'm "marathoning" on 8th Oct as well - Chester :smile: Really well done on the HM - great time and sounds like an enjoyable course.

Bad news about the 3 Peaks cancellation, JR - but better safe than sorry in dreadful weather... might be a blessing in disguise as well with your possible, lurking in the background, maybe niggle :wink: Good fortitude to get yourself out in the lanes anyway!

OK Andrew - I'll let you off... just this once, since it was thunderstorms :lol:

Your trail HM sounds idyllic, senidM! I must admit I love the off road stuff... haven't done enough of it lately. In general I enjoy the GNR - but it does require a lot of concentration to run in such crowded conditions - it's not really fun as such :neutral:

That's a good mix of running sessions for you David. I did intend to feed Harmander but he hoovered up VIP food instead... will try again at Richmond next weekend :smiley: Very best of luck for Dorney Lake - hope the stormy weather has passed over by then!

Harmander! It was lovely to see you again on Sunday :smiley: As mentioned above, I'll buy you food at Richmond instead - I don't have to dash off quite as soon as I originally thought as my train home is not until about 16:00. I, too, enjoyed your interview... your uncle was very concerned about his forgotten teeth as he mentioned them to me to explain why he didn't smile in the photos as well. Well done on another nice (almost) metronomic race... you'll be fine on Sunday - you always bring your A-game when you're pacing!

Yep - keep up the miling, Hobie... although you've hardly been resting on your laurels with over 850 miles under your belt! When is Snowdonia?

Nice total there, 1992! Good luck for Harrow on Sunday and for Berlin subsequently... seems like there's a few of us on here building up to marathons - David should be first past the post, if he does 10 laps on Thursday.

So - I GNR-ed, with a pre-race leg shake out on Saturday of 3.16 miles, and a 4.77 mile recovery run with my workmate this lunchtime. GNR was completed in 1:44:53... not a HM PB but a course PB by nearly 7 mins - so I'm pretty pleased with that overall. I also dropped my phone somewhere near The Bamburgh pub - it's my work phone so I was panicking and assumed that was that, but on the off chance I popped into the pub (that was the only reason - honest!) and some extremely kind soul had handed it in!!! :smiley:
    There is photographic evidence of me meeting Harmander again, which I will post shortly.

YTD: 870.42 miles.
  • Nell, well done on the course PB on the GNR, looked fantastic on TV.

I guess there are a lot of races on at this time of year so everyone cranking up some epic miles.

I got my Cardiff Half number through the post the other day...321...no I'm not dressing up as a bin.

Snowdonia is at the end of October.

867 Miles YTD

• Got out for 4 miles last night after a couple of days off. Aim is to run a few more the next couple of days and then I am doing a 5 mile race on Sunday.

635 YTD

• 5 more this afternoon- up to 640 YTD
  • Afternoon all,

Just a quick update after yesterday's Dorney Lake run at Windsor, registration was open from 08.00 and away at 09.30, I arrived had coffee and a good natter in plenty of time before we started, as I have previously said these events are quite small and yesterday there were only 33 runners, so very friendly.
    It was a lovely course fairly flat next to the Olympic rowing lake, so plenty to look at whilst going back and forwards, to get under my 4 hour target each lap needed to be run in around 24 minutes, well the first 5 or HM was completed in 1.47 and I was still on track until the last half lap (2.2km) when I got cramp in the calf, I then had to sit and stretch/rub it out for a couple of minutes before having another go, unfortunately it came straight back, so after stretching/ rubbing again I had no choice to walk the last bit, even then it was still twitching, so finally finished in 4.19.55. I got a nice bit of bling and plenty of chocolate, so all good - here's to the next one (without the cramp) on the 3rd October.

Harmander, Sounds like you had a blast on Sunday, glad you enjoyed the VIP grub!
    Nell, Well done on the course PB, what a great time, and best off luck to you both for Sunday.

• Will catch up soon....

Wednesday night - 4.55 steady/comfortably fast miles (felt quite tough on my own in bad weather)

Friday - 3.1miles. Easy run with a hard last 1/2 mile. Felt good

Steady September - 31.70

2017 - 614.05
  • YTD: 679.2

17 treadmill miles since last posting.

I've done two recent HMs in 1,47 and 1.48, how do these covert to expected marathon times?

Nell: in the GNR you were 1.44 what are you hoping for in Chester?

My feeling is that a don't push myself hard enough and run to conservatively, to much left in the tank at the end.

• Another 5ktoday in 24:29. Hard work on my own running sub 8 minute miles.

I'm no expert Donnie but i'd expect sub 4 cosily from your half times. Good training could see 3:45?

September - 34.80

2017 - 617.15
  • Using Nell's, formula thingie, Donnie2, yes you could be on for a sub 4, but marathon's can always bite you (as I found out at Halstead, lots depends on weather, course, how you feel on the day etc.) So starting conservatively is never that bad a thing -just ask Harmander  :)

Well done on the sub 1:45 at GNR, Nell, you must have been in the right pen, near the front, either that or you dodged round an awful lot of Geordies!  ;)

Another Trail 1/2 for me today, the Harvest Trail at Royston, v misty start, nice, couldn't see how long the hills were ahead of me, and much, much muddier than last week (didn't bring my trail shoes, so lots of slip/sliding away, twit), but a good run. No medal at the end, but a cup of coffee and an Eccles cake, now thats my kind of race!!!!!!!!!

YTD:       862.68M

• 'Ey 'oop me ducks!

Thanks HobieDavid and senidM! The GNR time was somewhat unexpected actually.

Hobie - 321 is an ace number... I'd pay you to do it dressed as Dusty Bin!!! :lol: I once had 123 as a number in a local race and some of the young marshals sang the Jackson's song at me each time I passed them, which was nice - and surprising that they knew it.

Hope your race went well today Andrew - which one was it... road... trail? Do tell :smile:

A sterling effort at Dorney Lake, David - bad luck on the calf cramps though! A nice steady marathon time nevertheless at what sounds like a very boutique and select race.

That's a good few runs with grit and determination there, JR... always tough to hit some of the tempo-type paces on your own.

Donnie, I know what you mean about feeling like there's more in the tank at the end of races! I always have a big sprint finish left in me and I often contemplate the fact that that probably shouldn't be the case. The "formula thingie" (LOL!) that senidM referred to can be found here:  http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/10/running_calculator_introducing_slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html
    Off a 1:43:48 HM I ran a 3:45:52 marathon in Manchester (a renown flat, PB course). My training plan for that stipulated a sub-1:45 HM and a 46-min 10K (I ran 46:16) for a 3:45 marathon. I would agree with the guys that your HM times should give you a sub-4:00... depending on the course and conditions on the day. I haven't trained so well for Chester as I did for Manchester (more erratic, but still did a sub-1:45 HM and a 46-min 10K in the build up) - so I'm going to see if I can find the 3:45 pacer and hang on to them!

I love your turn of phase, senidM - can't beat it! :lol: I started in Pen C for GNR, and stood on the very edge which moves slightly more freely than the middle section, AND did a fair bit of dodging around until I could find a small bit of space in which to run! Well done to you on yet another lovely sounding HM race today... great sounding non-bling "bling" as well... hahaha!

Had great fun pacing the Richmond HM today. Was tasked with pacing for 2:00 and managed 1:57:44 - which was a little bit too swift but not awful for my first ever pacing role (the 1:45 pacer ran 1:32... eek!). It was a completely different running experience - much more pressure than just running for myself, and unexpectedly difficult to run slowly in a race... I don't react well to folks overtaking me! :lol: I loved it, though - would definitely pace again. My friend, Just Coop Going, who also posts on RW, was the 2:15 pacer and did 2:14:55... what a star! Another 13.11 today and a traditional pre-race leg shake out yesterday of 3.29 miles.

YTD: 886.82 miles.
  • David Charman, - yes, the grub was fantastic, had seconds too.
    AndrewD - thanks.
    As promised, this week's report is:
    10.48 miles on Tuesday
    20.02 miles on Thursday
    Tapered with 10.19 miles including Parkrun on Saturday for the
    Richmond Marathon today (did 5:11:57 while pacing for 5:15)- which Little Nell conveniently forgot to mention, making my:
    YTD = 2137.50 miles.
    Berlin Marathon next week

• Didn't forget Harmander - wanted to leave it for you to mention! JCG doesn't post on this thread - hence why I mentioned her time.

What I did forget to mention, though, was that I have still not managed to feed Harmander, per the bet, as I had to catch a train this afternoon and couldn't wait for him to finish a 5:15 (ish) marathon... so the slap up feed remains pending :smiley:

Best of luck for Berlin - should be good. Do you have a target time in mind?

• Little Nell,

I have conceded that my noshing up in the VIP tent at GNR means you no longer owe me the meal - you did wait and I let you down.

In Berlin, I will be helping Fauja Singh's son beat his Berlin time of 2007 which is 5:12, so easy peasey methinks.  His PB is 4:44 that I helped him do in Toronto when I ran my 100th two years ago.
  • Thank you Nell - sadly it was a DNS! Managed to ping a muscle at the bottom of my back on Saturday and, whilst it wasn't terrible, it certainly wouldn't have been wise to put in a race effort and it seemed stupid to drive for 45 minutes each way just to jog around the course (and at the time I would have had to leave home I wasn't even sure that I'd have been able to manage even that!).

I did go out later in the day for 3 miles very slowly, which felt ok but I think vindicated my decision as it was still quite sore.

So, sadly no race and still stuck on 643 YTD

• Afternoon all,

Senidm, Eccles cake, what a fine way to finish a trail, probably best you couldn't see the long hills ahead, they can be disheartening :)
    Andrew, Probably best you DNS, rest is best as "they" say even if it is most annoying when all you want to do is get out, hope the tenderness goes soon.
    Harmander, Great pacing as usual & good luck for next Sunday.
    Nell, Glad you enjoyed your first outing as a pacer, glad I wasn't following the 1.45 pacer :) I wonder if they noticed they had lost everyone after the first couple of miles!

Stat's for last week:
    14.09.17 - 26.2
    17.09.17 - 5

YTD = 871.07

So, had a nice easy run yesterday, no problems to report after Thursday's outing, so all good.
  • YTD: 692.7 

Out in the drizzle last night, was planning to run for three hours (20 miles), however battery went on my garman as I nearer the end of lap 2. Poor excuse to stop but it was after 9pm so ended with 13.5 (ish) in just under 2 hours. Plan to do my 20 miler Sunday two weeks before my York marathon. 
  • Best races are the ones that have tea & cake at the finish.

Rest day yesterday for me.

Saturday morning we had a huge amount of rain for several hours so lots of flooding on the main roads...dried up nicely about lunch time so time to go play in the mud on the coast path, gorgeous couple of hours (13 miles) spent splashing in the mud & streams that used to be a path & jumping waterfalls that used to be streams, bit slippy in places but plenty of puddles to wash off my shoes before going home.

Sunday night, daughter decides she needs to go to the cinema with her friend & could I take her...a couple of laps of town while waiting to pick her up.

890 miles YTD.

• Well done to those who are ploughing on or are well ahead of target. I continue to fall behind, but did get out for 5 miles last night.

648 YTD