The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• 'ey op me ducks!

Thanks David - both for the pep talk and the photo compliment :smile:

I'm wondering where Harmander is too... looking forward to the Birmingham Marathon report.

I did my first "daily double" for a long while and feel really perky and full beans as a result! Started out with an easy/steady run out at lunchtime with my work colleague. I warned him it would need to be slow but we both kept naturally speeding up - I wanted to keep the pace slower than 9:00/mi. throughout but that didn't happen... so it ended up looking like a Fartlek run. A nice, refreshing 5.29 miles. Then headed down to the club's Tuesday track session this evening. It was the first time I'd gone to a Tuesday session and I'm really pleased I went as there were a lot more senior ladies there who I'd met before - fewer of them go on Thursdays (my usual night). I'm aiming to go on both Tuesdays and Thursdays from now on. A progressive speed session totalling 4.74 mi. including w/u and c/d - making a total of 10.03 for the day.

YTD: 944.93 miles.

• Nothing for ten days then I don't stop .
    Forgot to add today's 10.48 miles recovery run to my total.
    YTD = 2383.62 miles.
  • Ha! When I started typing Harmander hadn't posted... now I just look like a nutter who can't read :lol:

• You are in good company Nell - I can't count :)
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

5 miles last night including some 600m intervals which felt pretty decent.

708 YTD

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dave and Harmander: I'm so impressed with your mental ability to run long distances, I find the mental recovery far harder than the physical one. My marathon was 10 days ago, I couldn't complete that level of effort again....until next year.

Nell: You've mentioned running 1hr 45 for HM, where are you with 10k and a full marathon assuming good health, good training and good running conditions? I still think I cross the line at every distance with too much left in the tank!

Cold continuing, bits and pieces of thread mill mileage keeping the total edging upwards.

• Hello all!

Donnie
    - my PBs are...

Mara = 3:45:52, HM = 1:43:48 and 10K = 46:16 (you didn't ask - but 5K = 22:22)

All set this year. Nothing earth shattering but OK for an old bird! :smile:

No running to log today... Wednesday is strength training and sports massage - trying to pound my calves into submission.

YTD: 944.93 miles (still).

• Tantalisingly close to the 1000.

998 miles YTD after last nights 20mile "Last Long Run Before Snowdonia". Might have to go out lunch time for a 5k recovery run...If I'd known I was that close I would probably have done an extra loop somewhere.

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Nailed it...1001 Miles YTD.

A long way behind Hermander but feeling great for getting there with a bit of time to spare, now to see how far the next couple of months can take me.

Thank you all for encouragement & advice on here, also for ensuring I suffer from crushing guilt if I started slacking.

• Afternoon,

Hobie1495, Congratulations, I don't think I could of left it at 998 either. I shouldn't be to far behind, hopefully Saturday's marathon should get me over the line in 3rd, unless of course Nell does an ultra before then ;)
    Donnie2, Obviously I can't speak for Harmander, however I find by doing a number of events I tend not to take each one seriously, and therefore just treat them as my long runs with the added bonus of having a chat with some very interesting people whilst running round.
    I run to meet new people, keep fit and to get out in the fresh air, and therefore I am not that concerned with my times, however I do want to get under that 4 hour barrier at some point!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Nell - I always find pace to be difficult to pin down, even more so at the moment as I've not been running a lot recently. I often find I go faster at club sessions for the same perceived effort, in reality it's probably that I try a bit harder but don't notice because I'm talking to people most of the time. Glad you are feeling better now, maybe you still had some lingering effects for Manchester HM? As you say it was a really hot day for it too which probably didn't help. Well done for getting to the speed session.

Harmander - well done at Birmingham, sounds pretty horrible finishing up a hill!

Andrew - nice intervals...you're pulling away from me :(

Donnie - well done ticking over, you're still about on track it looks like.

Hobie - congrats on passing 1000!

Meanwhile I am feeling the crushing guilt you mentioned haha. Last week I did 8ish on Wednesday - legs were feeling battered from cycling to work on Monday and squash Tuesday night so I (intentionally) went much slower than usual, about 8:45 pace. It was nice running with different people to normal though. Then on Sunday I did 5 miles at a hard effort, which averaged about 7:00 but wasn't very consistent (kind of an anti-progression run). This week I managed 3 miles at lunch on Tuesday and 8 miles last night. I might make 1000 km for the year but 1000 miles is a long way off now.

594 YTD
  • Bonsoir mes amis.

Congratulations Hobie - great job on getting over the 1000 mark!

David, you're safe in 3rd place... I won't spring a surprise ultra on you - LOL :lol:

Thanks Nick - I just wasn't on it for Manchester. The pacing drift was because we kept speeding up to our natural steady pace but I knew I needed to try to be sensible and keep the pace slower to preserve my legs. Well done bending to "crushing guilt" and logging a good variety of sessions.

Second club track session of the week for me tonight. Cinder track was in remarkably good condition considering the torrential rain that came down this afternoon - just a few big puddles to negotiate. 15 x 60 sec. fast, 60 sec. recovery was a nice work out, with w/u and c/d totalled 5.78 miles.

YTD: 950.71 miles.

• Thanks all for egging me on to get to the 1000, some amazing mileages being logged by everyone & great times.

David, good luck in your Marathon this weekend, hopefully weather in Kent will be better than it's forecast for us out in the wild West.

Nell, you're getting very close, well done.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done Hobie.

Couple of runs on Thursday and yesterday sees me up to 717.5 YTD. 

Nothing today, LSR planned for tomorrow.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Since last posting treadmill twice (4 and 3) and a park run today.

Nell: When I asked about times, I hope this wasn't seen as me being competitive. I'm very competitive but only with myself. As I've mentioned before I feel I often finish events with quite a bit left in the tank and could have pushed a bit harder a bit sooner. With a feeling that your HM times are similar to mine I was thinking about where were are over other distances. Interestingly your marathon PB is around 10 mins quicker than me, I generally feel I run the second half of my races well (I'm a slow starter), so perhaps I'm nearer to empty than I think! 

Well done Hobie. Nell - you're almost there, 

• Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Namaste everybody!

Thanks Hobie. Have you got an end of year target in mind now?

Good going Andrew - very wise to rest today, I think... considering the wild weather!

Well done on making it out to parkrun this morning, Donnie. No worries - didn't take your enquiry as being competitive, I'm perfectly happy to share my mediocre times LOL! :lol: My age grading peaks at 10K and drops away as the distance increases but I was pretty happy with my one and only mara. time as I managed a London GFA and a Boston qualifier in my first go at the distance. Like you, I quite often feel like I finish with something left in the tank - I seem to be rather bad at really pushing myself as hard as possible... fear of failure, I think.

A bit late but... best of luck to Harmander for Toronto tomorrow, and David I hope your  marathon went well today!

A short, easy run for me tonight - just 4.52 miles that started out in med./light wind and no rain and ended in gale force wind and horizontal rain. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself at the start, thinking that I'd missed the worst of the weather, but it was very bracing when the next batch of "weather" blew in and I really enjoyed it :smiley:

YTD: 955.23 miles.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Hi all, after a quiet week or so trotted round the Stevenage 1/2 today, really took it easy so quite pleased with a 1:51 on a windy day.

Getting very close to the glorious 1000 but am being inundated with family next week so may not get out again at all until November!  :s

YTD:    987.66

Think you're going to get there before me now Nell, but, hey, still very pleased to be this close before Nov.  :)
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    6.5 long run for me tonight, so up to 724 YTD.

Well done to those who are closing in on the finish line of this challenge.
  • Morning all,

So an interesting Marathon on Saturday, I arrived on the Kent coast - Deal to be precise in plenty of time and the weather wasn't to bad. The marathon was 13 laps around a cycle park named Betteshanger, fairly flat, with nice wide paths and lovely countryside views.
    We were off at 08.00 on the dot and the first lap went past without incident, then on the second lap the horizontal rain and wind started and only stopped for a few minutes here and there, however I had great race with a new PB of 4.06.35 and weirdly did quite enjoy the weather. It was a great event, well organised and I shall definitely be back as it was a lovely run.

Andrew, Well done, keep going.
    Senidm, Well done on the 1.51 HM, and a pretty decent time considering you were taking it easy.

Stat's for last week:

18.10.17 - 3.12
    21.10.17 - 26.2

YTD = 1005.33 Whoopee!

So, this week apart from a short run tomorrow, I won't be doing much until Friday when I am doing another Marathon in Sutton, this one is an 8 lap mostly trail circuit set within the grounds of a county estate, so should be nice.

Good luck to Nell & Senidm who are very close to the 1000 mark, shouldn't be long now.

• Well done David, smashed a marathon & topped off the 1000, good day at the office.

Quiet weekend for me, storm Brian giving us a pasting on Saturday so I went for earning brownie points instead. I got an easy 4 mile in yesterday and planning a few easy ones this week leading up to Snowdonia Marathon next Saturday.

1006 miles YTD

• 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Also over the 1,000 mark today in a meandering trail run in the midlands. 

Did my first park run on Saturday which was great fun - but I waited a while to start last so I didn’t get caught up in the jostling crowd. 

Donnie2, I also had a major lull after my marathon in late September. Motivation to control diet and make time to run  definitely dropped away. Going easy on myself about that though. I’ve earnt it I figure. The question I’m left with though is when will Harmander judge he has earnt a break????

Sorry about your injury Nell, seems you’re  back on track now?
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Congrats David on breaking 1000 and on the marathon PB, senidM on a good HM, and 1992km on passing the 1000.

I was hoping to get out for a run last weekend but my daughter kindly shared her cold so I was feeling pretty run down and decided I was better served just getting an early night. I think my new target is 1000km haha - though I am on 964 already so that will (hopefully!) be a bit easy!
  • Hey ho daddios!

senidM, well done on a really good HM in what sounds like very windy conditions. I hate racing in the wind - it's the worst type of weather IMO... so that's a cracking effort. I think it will be neck and neck between us - still might not overhaul you even with your brief, family enforced break :smile:

Still grinding out the miles Andrew... good going.

Amazing effort in your marathon - really well done David! How you manage multi-lap marathons is beyond me, the mental fortitude is fantastic. Congratulations on a new PB in very tough conditions... you're current rivalling Harmander in the running machine stakes! :lol: Best of luck for Friday's marathon... I'll be very interested to hear how you get on as I am planning two marathons six days apart next year, which is currently terrifying me!

Hope your legs keep turning OK, Hobie and best of luck to you too for Snowdonia.

Congrats 1992km on breaking through the 1000 mile barrier as well - nice going. Thanks for the commiserations... I think I'm back on track again now though.

Very sensible Nick - sometimes a good sleep is as good for your training as a good run.

Another double day Tuesday for me again today. A steady run at lunchtime - 4.87 miles  at a little over 8:00/mi. as my work colleague had to get back for a meeting, followed by quite a long track session tonight (5 fast, 2 recover, 4 x (3 fast, 2 recover) 5 fast, 2 recover, 4 x (30 sec fast, 30 sec recover)) - came in at 6.42 miles overall incl. w/u and c/d. Total for the day is 11.49 miles.

YTD: 966.52 miles.

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to all who've hit the target. I'm touch and go. I'm averaging just over 80 a month, I'll need up this to 90 for Nov and Dec. Sounds reasonable enough, but the reality is perhaps a little difference.

Hobie; Good luck in Snowden, look forward to a post race update

David: Multi lap courses really take great mental strength, you have my admiration.

Nell: Two marathons in 6 days, if you're running hard, I suspect the mental side will be the test rather than physical issues.

• I can't remember when I last updated on here?

But it has been tough to stay with trying to target 1,000 miles for the year. It is possible that I can still achieve it but it will not be easy and will mean little rest after running New York City Marathon and Running the Rift Marathon in Uganda until the New Year.

The problem has been being so inexperienced in running the amount of Marathon's that I have been tackling this year. With tapering, injury problems and recovery weeks it has meant that I will have lost the best part of approximately 20+ weeks of running.

My Marathon's ticked off to date so far this year include;

Cambridge Boundary Run
    Bungay Black Dog Marathon
    VM London Marathon
    ASICS Brathay Windermere Marathon
    Liverpool Rock & Roll Marathon
    Fort William Marathon
    BMW Berlin Marathon
    Spar Budapest Marathon

I also ran the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon a few days before Christmas last year.

I still have the following to run;

TCS New York City Marathon (Nov 5th)
    Running the Rift Marathon in Uganda (Nov 11th)

Dependant upon how I feel, how stretched the finances are and if the legs still work, then I may consider running the Nottingham Christmas Marathon on December 3rd to make it 12 Marathon's in 12 Months.

For those of you who are interested, my favourite Marathon's so far this year have been the Windermere and Liverpool ones. Fort William was nice too but is a beast of a Multi Terrain Course.

Berlin was great for the travel and experience but I see what they mean about it not being a pretty course, other than the first few miles and the last few you could be running in any City.  Budapest on the other hand has a beautiful course, but my experience being a target of petty crime in the City and even having items including my wallet stolen at the bag drop was not the best and tainted my experience of what could have been  great race. It would also help for them to find better sponsors and have more assistance from people who can speak English. The Budapest Marathon could be a great race but has many problems it needs to overcome in my opinion.

YTD is just 719 miles with approx. 40,000 ft of elevation gain.

Here are some pictures of my journey so far;

Portsmouth Coastal Marathon 

Cambridge Boundary Run

Bungay Black Dog Marathon

London

ASICS Brathay Windermere Marathon (this was beautiful) :D<3

Liverpool Rock & Roll Marathon (Got my PB here but chip didn't work, so based on clock time 3:44:47)

Fort William Marathon

Berlin Marathon

Budapest Marathon

• Been over a week since I posted so will try and respond to all who mentioned me since 17 October.

Donnie2 - thanks for the acknowledgement about my mind set - this forum keeps me going actually as do the new runners I train each year. Had plans to spread my 17 marathons/ultras over the year but ended up getting the last ten into ten weeks - good job I am not working as a scheduler for Ryanair (or maybe I ought to apply lol).

Well done Hobie 1495 and 1992km on passing the 1000 mark and David Charman who done that a little while back - talking of Little, should be the first female too. Am sure there is someone else in the list of those who have gone over the 1000 miles mark (no I am not counting myself just because I went over it twice)

David you are not far off in talking for me, I too enjoy the meeting new people and learning new stuff from them, even the relative newbies often come up with ingenious ideas from how to get to locations and ways to recover quickly - I am always all ears to this. 

Great effort Smudgerncfc - fantastic pictures too - luckily I don't quite know how to post them - we were in a couple of them together but you look like a runner who was probably on his way home by the time I finished.

Right, since my last posting on 17 October I only did a 7.25 mile run before rushing off to Gatwick for the flight to Toronto. While I was there I did 5.02 miles on the treadmill and the Friendship Run (this is where all the runners from abroad jog around together for a couple of miles the day before the marathon).

I was the 4:55 pacer which I found unusually awkward because of the flat time board on a plastic pipe we pacers had to carry - I decided to dump it half way as others appeared to have done and anyway, there was another time label on the back of the shirt. The weather was 22 degrees and the pacer shirt was black and long sleeved - not a good combination in my book - especially as I struggle in the heat. I ended up doing a negative split because my halfway time was 2:31:04 (should have been 2:27:30). From the 50 or so runners who started with me wanting to achieve 4:55, there were only two Mexican ladies and a male friend of theirs with me at half way and with their agreement to speed up a bit I did the 2nd half in 2:23 giving me a finishing time of 4:54:04 - I was 56 seconds to being spot on.

One of the ladies ended up doing 4:56 and the other 'couple' just dipped under 5 hours by a few seconds -  I got a big hug from the ladies and decided to just shake hands with the fella.

I ran another 9.33 miles on the hotel treadmill on Monday morning as a recovery run - making my:

YTD = 2431.72 miles

BTW I strongly recommend this race on several fronts - the course (including scenery), its organisation, friendly atmosphere, value for money as a tour package (about £700 for flights and six nights at a four star race hotel - the Sheraton Center in Downtown Toronto - less than 150 metres from start and finish lines). It is my second favourite marathon after the London and I have run there for the last 15 years.
  • Howdy pardners!

Nice steady progress there, Donnie... sounds like there's every chance you'll manage to scale the peak of 1000 miles - just creeping up from 20 miles per week to 22.5 miles per week for Nov and Dec.

Nice to see you again Smudger! An unbelievably outstanding effort by you on the marathon front and some fantastic photos too... looks pretty much like you've enjoyed all of them and that's some nice bling from Liverpool :smile:

Great update from you too, Harmander. Excellent, reliable pace making as ever, well done... interesting sartorial choice on behalf of the Toronto organisers though, especially the long sleeved aspect - very few people run races in long sleeved garments!

I'm a day late in posting - ran at lunchtime yesterday in lieu of going to the club track session in the evening. I had an extra Pilates class in the evening - a reformer class, which was amazing... really enjoyable! The run was a track session that totalled 5.01 miles (I originally stopped at 4.99 miles - but that annoyed me so much that I jogged the additional 0.02 miles to tick over the 5-mile mark :lol:). Trail racing 10K in the dark in a forest tomorrow - should be good... I've done it the past few years and enjoyed it a lot!

YTD: 971.53 miles.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Finished my week’s (and month’s) running with a parkrun this morning in 21:44.

76 for the month and 740 YTD.

Have a good weekend all!
  • Evenin' lovely folks!

Nice, speedy parkrun, Andrew :smile:

Completed Delamere Night Run this evening - a 10K trail race. Always a great event - but a tough course in parts... specifically the climb up Pale Heights. Managed it a tiny little bit faster than last year, so can't complain - a year on year improvement each time I've done it. Totalled 7.08 miles incl. w/u and c/d.

YTD: 978.61 miles.