Great Welsh Marathon Entry

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - I had to pay £80 to transfer the flights  and any difference if the flights were dearer, which they were by 16 pence!   I too so love a bath after a race, sadly a lot places have showers only now.

Ouch, I've had loads of injuries that have stopped me running which weren't caused by running too.   One of the worst was I sprained my ankle by getting out the car too fast.

I have a 10 mile race on Sunday, my first 10 miler for 14 years and my shortest race for 7 years!!   Then I have the Cornish marathon a couple of weeks later and then that's it for the year and time to get into some serious training.

• Shades gosh you lost a fair bit of your budget with race entry as well:-(
    Wow a 10 miler that will seem short to you after all the ultra's and marathons!! Good luck is it local? a favorite course?

I have run 2 @10 milers GSR and Pontypridd reverse 10 many years ago it is a nice distance:-)

I ran 5 miles yesterday and 8 miles today but today groin achy so no idea how tomorrow will be! I am lucky this is winter training for me no race till february:-)
    Not sure if you saw but local boy Dewi Griffiths who has had an amazing season ran his first marathon in Hamburg he came 5th and second fastest Welsh marathon runner ever behind the great Steve Jones.He finished in 2.09 but had cramp in his legs last few miles and knows he can go faster!! He is only 26 one to watch!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - not really, would have paid out air fare next year for a race away anyway.

Yes, 10 miler is local, about 60 miles away, I've never done it before.

Hope that injury clears up, at least with no imminent race planned you can run as you feel.

That's brilliant about Dewi Griffiths, I think it was at Frankfurt though.  I saw Dewi on telly racing Cardiff half and he was in great shape then.   Wales has some great marathon talent :)  

• You are right it was Frankfurt :):)
    How was your 10 mile race?

I actually had 2 allergic reactions last week one to curry powder I had not used before then 2 days later I got a bad reaction to wine face bloated up,face red and I could feel the heat radiate up my face then it brought on Asthma attack I am allergic to Sulphites it took a week for me to feel right. So even more to watch when shopping!

But yesterday my run was back to where the pace should be thank goodness...onwards and upwards good job I am a glass half full sort of person:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - oh what an awful allergic reaction.  Aren't there sulphates in most wines? 
    I have a cupboard full of wine but probably only open one bottle a year for cooking, I don't drink at home, I rarely drink now at all.

Well I missed my 10 mile race due to a cold, was so annoying as I was really looking forward to that race.

I'm just booking up for Frankfurt next year, our club are doing a trip there, looks a good race.

• Yes nearly all wines so I am giving wine drinking up it was just maybe 3 bottles a year .Organic wines are okay but very expensive and then I would have to start over finding ones I like.

So sorry to hear about your race it is so annoying but hopefully you are on the mend?

Frankfurt looks totally amazing for a race red carpet finish line etc I am sure you will have a lot of fun:-) so nice you are going with your club.

No run today I am come down with a cold it has been threatening for about 3 weeks but had kept it at bay..... best get it over with so I can get back to training.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - expensive hobby testing all those organic wines to find a favourite ! ;)

Bad luck about the cold.

My last race of the year on Sunday at Cornish Marathon, I've lost so much fitness but am determined to slog it round.  I hate the cold weather and the previously predicted 'feels like 3 degrees' has now improved to 8 degrees, still too cold but much more bearable.   

After that can settle down to a winter's training.

Yes, Frankfurt does look good and hotel is 600 metres from the finish and only slightly further away to the start.

T-Rex - entry forms for DD available from 9 pm tonight on Trotters website if you fancy it?

• Shades: I am not that fussed so wine will be gone I can not afford that sort of hobby: Running is expensive enough as it is.
    Talking running I know you run in Saucony shoes have you found the new sole material Eva something as good as older shoes? I have had new pair 8 weeks and find the traction in the wet not as good and have to be careful luckily my alternate pair is an older version .

Good luck on last race of the year I hope all goes well I guess all you can hope for is to get around comfortably and it is not too cold for you.

I hate the cold anything under 5 degrees....

That is fab news on your hotel it makes such a difference when hotel is so close:-) 
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - I have 3 pairs of Guide 9's, I think that's a 2016 model so I don't know if that's the new EVA sole or not.  The oldest pair have about 400 miles on them and the soles are like new and the traction is good.  The shoes I have are the ones on the right

Are the soles on your shoes the same?
  • The soles on my old shoe is the same as  your Guide 9. I use Triumph and Rides but my new Triumph is the Eva soles.
    My old ones I could easy get 600 miles out of them:-0
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the Guide 10 and they have very similar sole to Guide 9.  

But don't judge the life of the shoe by the  wear on the outer sole, it's the cushioning that is the 'life' of the shoe not wear on the sole.  You should still get your 600+ miles.
  • I wish the traction was better as  with our weather  I need  good anti slip shoes.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - maybe you'll just have to use them in the dry and on the routes you have with rougher road surfaces.  

That does mean you'll have to buy a couple of more pairs for the wet days! :)
  • Thanks Shades it is just I would have to try to find another brand that does not pinch or irrate my achilles:-(  Oh well I guess I will have to brave the running shops soon to check them out.

Chest infection for me so was out of action for a week and it was pretty bad I have not felt so ill in a long time. BUT I ran yesterday-yay winter training can begin.

How was your race on Sunday? last one of the year I think?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - surely all the Saucony shoes don't have the same soles.   Have you tried emailing Saucony, if others are having the same problem they may be correcting the problem at the next launch of shoes.  Too late I guess to buy up any old stock of your favoured shoe, some great bargains around at them moment.

I can't believe you've been poorly again.

Had a slow but lovely run at the Cornish, weather was good, a touch cold for me, but no wind and Bodmin Moor looked beautiful.

• Sadly no old shoes in my size with the older sole I wish I was so lucky.there was a fab price best this year for one of my shoes and free postage but I dare not risk it will wait and see if they change the sole material,.Every time I have contacted Saucony no response sadly!
    But i have a pair of Adidas Boston Boost that I have only run max 4 miles in distance in  but this morning ran 7.59 miles will see how I get on with them as an alternative on wet days.

I am glad your last race went well:-) so winter training until the Spring?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Annoying that Saucony don't reply to you.   Don't you have any of your routes with rougher road surfaces that you could run on in the wet weather?

Yes, training until Spring, I might bag a late entry place in a January marathon that's close to me but only if we are forecast a heatwave for that weekend, so unlikely. 
  • Heatwave in January I wish I could do with some warmer weather:-0

I tried a different route yesterday and they worked better so thanks for the idea.

Boy it is cold -2 and I bet icy so no outside running will be third time on treadmill so far this winter!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    -4 here this morning according to my neighbour's decorator that I saw arriving.  But 90% of the roads and pavements are dry so Ok for running, was glad to get home though in the warm.

I've got a couple of friends running a multi stage event in Peru, they started yesterday, it's 30+ degrees there, seems a world away from here.

Glad an alternative route worked better for your shoes.

• Goodness me I hope your friends finished the race ? that does sound like from one extreme to another!

How is winter training going? Do you keep your long run at certain mileage or gradual build up?

I have had a good week so far 5,8,10,8 but looks like bad weather Friday and Saturday with Ice and snow(although I doubt we shall get any snow) which is a shame as planned 11 miles Friday oh well short runs on treadmill for me.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    They finished MdeS Peru well, both in top 70.

I just build up my mileage, no need to do long runs when base training.  But I can't run this morning as we have a lot of ice and not safe, I so hate this weather.  But will be wild and windy but mild tomorrow morning so should be fine for running, it's only the ice that stops me.

• Morning, Happy New Year okay I am a little late;-)

How are things going with training?

The ice has been particularly bad this winter 4 days this week I will not run with ice but did hit the treadmill which I have a love hate relationship with;-)
    But I can run outside today -yay;-)
    Around 4-5 weeks before my first race it does come around fast!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to you too.

We've had ice here but I've managed to run, just had to cut short a couple of runs, one was yesterday as I couldn't go any further.  So a little down on my planned mileage but today is 100% ice free so am off for a run soon.

The winter does seem long but suddenly those races don't seem so far away after all, 8 weeks to my first race of 2018.  
  • Hi Shades,

I hope you are well and your race is still on with so many cancelled at the moment.Hope you were able to run during the bad weather?

I missed my race 2 weeks as i had norovirus  the previous week but I have been to IOW twice for training which was great even able to get doubles in.Such a shame about the past week with the weather.

My first run since Wednesday this morning I was going stir crazy.
    It must be 6 weeks for this race?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - Norovirus is awful, I had it a few years ago.  Hope you've fully recovered now.

My race today, Granite Way 20, was cancelled but they've postponed it until 25th March and luckily that is my only race free weekend until mid June.  The race is on a tarmac cycle path that used to be a railway line so there are no issues about rescheduling due to traffic and road closures, so that's fortunate.

You've had much more snow than us, but it doesn't take much for everything to grind to a halt here, not helped by that you can't go far without finding a small hill.   I lost 3 days training but managed to get out today for a short run, was getting cabin fever.   But wasn't a very successful run, I had to turn back on my chosen route as the estuary had flooded and then I kept coming across patches of ice on the pavements so had to stop and walk.   But it's thawing now and should all be gone in a couple of days.

Yes, 6 weeks to go, races seem a long way off and then suddenly they gallop towards you :o
  • Thanks Shades it was horrendous the worst i have ever felt I never want it ever in my lifetime!

That is good news about rescheduling your race and lucky you had that weekend free!

I hope it has all thawed and you can get out for a proper run with no worries about where you put your feet!

I know it is shocking how quick the races start appearing on our calendars.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good Luck to you Shades for today I think it is the ultra? jolly cold on my run this morning so I hope you are warmer as I know you do not like the cold.

Not long for this race either

I am just back from another 5 days on IOW great training and walking managing 45k steps a day or 25 miles.No wonder I am a wee bit tired!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP- yes, you're right it was cold, too cold for me so I walked a lot of it.   Brilliant event though, superb race organisation.  I had a great weekend.   

Back up to Llanelli in a couple of weeks, look forward to seeing you there.

25 miles a day, that's impressive training, you might as well do a few marathons with that training! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    seren -are you running this year?