Pes anserinus bursitis

hi, has anybody had bursitis of the pes anserinus and recovered?

i've been paying for snake oil physiotherapists for a number of months now and seen no improvements, i've been tryimg stretches of my quads and hamstring, and also doing squats for well over 3 months and am still getting pain when just walking around.

i've had an mri which showed the bursitis and referred to physio, but of course there is no nhs so am having to pay, so far £600 and no improvement.

it's fair to say i'm feeling pretty low about things right now, thanks for listening

richard

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

This is a classic over use injury.

No amount of money, pushing, poking and exercising will get rid of it.

The site must be allowed to heal without any unnecessary interference.

Anything which alerts you to it's presence is additional damage.

Complete immobilisation for 48 hours and some prescription level anti inflammatory drugs. That's a start point.

🙂

• thanks Ric, that would make sense, I'm going to give it a go, will try and not move for longer than 48 hours although life rarely lets me, but thanks for responding

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'd add that I had that bursitis many years ago. I nursed it for weeks, maybe two months until I got the same advice.

The combination of avoiding any more damage, drugs and ice, stopped it in about three days flat.

Best to think of bursae as self repairing bearings for the body. When bearings get worn or lose lubricant, they don't work too well. They create heat and get even more worn. So we replace them.

With bursae we have to cool the area right down to take the pressure off them. That gives them some space in which to heal.

Good luck.

🙂

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I've had it on a long distance cycling trip.

Trip ended and I just eased back on the cycling for a bit and it sorted itself.

Massage of the offending tight muscles also helped - I seem to recall that there are 3 muscles that insert there that may need attention

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    My advice is nearly always the same. Try to see a top physio who knows about running. There is a huge difference between a top physio a your bog standard one. It is very hard to tell which are the good ones though. Good luck.
  • Who looked at your MRI results? A lot of physios are rubbish, some are very good.

How old are you? Any history of trauma to the knee?
  • Thanks for the responses.

I'm 44, no history of trauma.

A sports injury doctor initially reviewed the Mri and referred me for NHS physio (purely on the Mri, I never actually saw him) . I'm on that waiting list still.

I've seen 3 different physios all have said roughly the same thing about stretching quads and hamstrings, and building up quads and glutes.

I have crepitus too but this doesn't hurt.

I have got some naproxen from gp and am resting it over Christmas. Will pause the naproxen on boxing day and see how it is. It does currently feel a bit better so fingers crossed but that might just be the naproxen.

Thanks for your help all

Richard
  • was getting better, wasn't feeling anything so tried a really slow 4k and its back, not as bad as it has been but still can feel the tightness, this is so frustrating

will try not doing anything for the next week, annoyingly life just does not let me sit on my backside

• Richard hi, may I suggest that you expand your approach to looking at the mechanics behind why the pes is taking strain. 

Some of causes  are multi-factorial, the Physio's are only doing what they do, but sometimes there is more going on.

Get your foot mechanics looked at, podiatrist who deals with sports injuries can help

get a good stretching regime, calf , gluts , gentle quads and hamstring

look into getting a Compex neuromuscular electrical stim device to aid pain relief, oxygenation and blood flow increase in the area, as well as reduce muscle tension on the gracillus, semimembranosis and sartorius. 

Some gentle but firm massage in the muscle belly of those muscles can help as well.

k-tape  the area can aid recovery.

but for sure, it needs time, and rest otherwise.