Options

Newbie seeking advice re Shoes and pronation

Howdy

As you can see this is my first post so first of all a big Hi! to everyone!

Secondly I'm hoping that the more experienced runners out there can help me out with a question regarding Pronation and shoes.

So i've historicaly been a sporadic runner/jogger for some time and have just recently started running regularly with a couple of friends twice a week. I'm currently running between 5-7K on road. Because of this increased activity i noticed my Asics were wearing out and i needed a new pair. As I'm not getting any younger and injury is more of a concern to me now I figured this would be a good time to do the job properly and get a gait analysis done.

I went to Decathlon for the analysis fully expecting to be told that I under pronate as most of the wear on my current shoes is on the outside edge of the shoe, however when I was filmed on the treadmill it became clear that I actually overpronate. I did explain that my running motion on the treadmill was different (or felt different to me) than when I run on the road however the sales guy (who was very helpful) recomended a pair of Asics GT2000 shoes as they are for overpronators. When i tried them out by running around the store i noticed that my right foot felt fine but my left foot felt uncomfortable on the inside where the extra cushioning was. I then tried on a new pair of my usual choice the Cumulus which are designed for neutral or underpronators and they felt much more comfortable. After seeking more advise from the instore advisor I settled on sticking with what was more comfortable and went with the Cumulus. I figured that if the Gt2000 felt uncomfortable after just a short run this would only become worse when running my usual distance. In addition despite the fact the Cumulus is more of a neutral shoe it does have more cushioning which would be better at reducing risk of injury to my knees etc.

I was initialy very comfortable in my decision however I'm now wondering if i should have given the GT2000 a go to see if the discomfort was just the shoe correcting my gait and just needing some time to get used to them?

It's just a bit odd as I felt like I went to get the analysis in order to get confirmation and feel more confident that I was selcting an appropriate type of shoe to reduce the risk of injury and I now actualy feel more unsure.

Your advice and thaughts would be most appreciated image

Comments

• Options

Have you had any injuries?  Shoes will not fix your gait, strengthening and increased range of motion of specific muscles will.

Pick the shoes that feel comfortable to you.  Extra cushioning will not necessarily reduce the risk of injury to your knee.  The human body was designed to absorb shock from movement.

• Options

Hi and as above wear the ones that are most comfortable as said , I supposedly over pronate like most runners out there ! but run in a comfort type shoe,I even had orthopedic insoles for a while but ditched them too and run far better without them.If you are going to get injured you most likely will anyway regardless of shoe choice .

• Options

Thanks for the replies folks that's very helpful!

Will keep the shoes i have and avoid over complicating things in future!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Options

Happy New Year!

I found out I have overpronation in my feet (flat feet). I went to Decathlon and they helped me find the right training shoe.  I ended up buying Kalenji Kipruns LD men's 2016, which have been amazing so far and the K ring absorbs the impact nicely.

• Options
    Take a look at this link. It will help you out. https://theshoebuddy.com/best-treadmill-shoes/