Fitness Weights

I'm at that age (early 50s) when it is recommended that weight training is included into the running fitness regime. Hence I was wondering, without necessarily wishing to have the appearance of a honed bodybuilder,if anyone had any tips or experience of the best weights to introduce into the regime, i.e., the optimum kg weight plus shape (i.e., dumbbell or grab-handle style?) Any advice welcomed!

Comments

• Charlie, looking like a bodybuilder is not something that happens by accident. It requires brutal training, 100% adherence to diet and possibly a little pharmaceutical aid as well, not to mention favourable genetics. For a runner of an age where hormones are no longer at their peak, I don't think you have much to worry about.

As far as exercises go, I'm a big believer in the KISS principle, ie "keep it simple, stupid." So a full body workout twice a week should be adequate. You need to focus on the muscles that you need for running, so glutes, core and postural muscles primarily. You can get away with using no weights at all to begin with by doing bodyweight exercises such as push-ups, pull-ups, free squats, calf raises, various glute exercises (glute bridges, clamshells etc). If you've already sprung for a gym membership, then I'd get a trainer's advice regarding weights but bear in mind a) learning a weight exercises involves skill, so start light, and you'll find your weights go up very quickly at first as you master the movement, and b) you need to focus on the posterior chain rather than the "mirror muscles" so you'll need to do roughly two rowing type exercises (eg dumbell rows, machine rows) to every pressing exercise (eg bench press/press-up etc).

If you fancy kettlebells (I presume that's what you mean by grab-handle) then you'll need to get someone to show you how to use them. They're great tools, particularly the kettlebell swing, which is awesome for the posterior chain, but messing around with them if you don't know what you're doing will lead to an injury.

Shoot for 12-15 reps per set initially (this is mid-range on the hypertrophy endurance scale) and see how it goes. Re: rep ranges, anything under 5 is about strength and power; 6-12 is hypertrophy and above that is endurance.

Best of luck.

• Thanks for your post and time Cal; all very useful information and very much appreciated. And yes indeed, I meant kettlebells! I think I'll concentrate on the KISS principle for now to supplement my 20-25 miles running per week.