Options

2017 in 2017

Following on from the 2014, 2015 and 2016 threads I hope we are all up for the 2017 in 2017 challenge! Will you go for 2017 miles, or like me will 2017k be the target?

Over the last three years my trivia knowledge has improved enormously with interesting facts posted matching either the number left or the number completed. Look back at the 2016 in 2016 thread for ideas.

On a personal note I am shortly to turn 63 and have managed the challenge for the last three years. If I can do it, you can! A bit of a close shave in 2014 but the challenge was a major motivator in keeping the training going. You will hopefully find the thread a positive support! All are most welcome!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Options

So, to put some figures of the 2017 in 2017 challenge:

To achieve 2017 kms, or miles, you would need to average 5.53 kilometres or miles a day for the 365 days. That averages out a 38.68 per week.

If you work in kms, like I do, you need to average 8.9k a day or 62.3k per week to achieve the 2017 miles.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

Hey ale, I'm up for it. Count me in for 2017 km.

For those who don't know me: I'm 48 and used to do regular high mileage weeks. I consider myself a halfway decent middle of the pack marathon runner but a stress fracture stopped me at km25 of my spring marathon and resulted in 4 months of no running. Started again at the end of September and have just completed my first post injury 35 mile week image

Not sure I'll ever run marathons again ... Right now I'm just happy to be out there again because I'm just not myself when I can't runimage

The enforced rest brought yoga into my life which is great and I finally signed up for technique lessons to master the dreaded front crawl. I'm still rubbish at swimming but it's good cross training so I'll stick with it. Hopefully a mix of running and XT will prevent injuries in the future.

• Options

Hi alehouse I'm back up for it, will be aiming for 2017 miles.

welcome chicksta good luck with the running, I'm also someone who uses swimming as cross training and try to swim at least twice a week and probably 3-4 times a week in the summer when my running takes a dip.

• Options

All familiar faces appearing here (welcome Chick!)

Achieved 2016k last year so will be ambitious this year and set my target for 2017k!  image

(Actually managed my personal best of 1616 miles)

Love (outdoor) swimming but will swim in pool when I require some cross training.

• Options

Morning all and happy new year 

7.25 miles this morning so 2010 miles to go

In 2010

The Burj Khalifa is opened in Dubai, it's still the tallest building in the world at 2717ft or 828m. I saw the fireworks there last night and they were amazing!

• Options

I did 2222.22 miles in 2016

• Options

That's a great number image

Happy New Year all image

2213.2k or 1375.5 miles for me in 2016.

5k done today, 2012 to go. 2012, the year of the fabulous London Olympics image

• Options

Happy New Year to all,

Thank you Chicksta,

26.67km or 16.53 miles done today (including Parkrun where I was pacing).

• Options

Good to see you joining us, Chick and HS2!

5.7k for me today, so ignoring the decimal 2012 to go. I, also, enjoyed the Olympics and managed to see a variety of sports over the five days I was there. 

• Options

Happy New year allimage

5.25 miles this morning so ignoring the .25 that takes me to 2012,,,,the fab olympics I was also there but as a spectatorimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Hello everyone!  Hope it's ok for a new face to join?  image  I'm aiming for 2017 km this year.  I'm not the world's most consistent runner so having a consistent weekly goal should sort me out!

So far a grand total of 0 - ostriches are zero-rated for VAT except for feathers and other inedible bits.  Which really begs the question of what parts of an ostrich are edible.

• Options

Of course you are most welcome to join in, Daisyjess! Consistent consistency is the name of the game though! Look forward to you posting a few kilometres, or even miles!

• Options

Long run done.

year total 26 miles so 1991 miles to go.

The first Gulf war after Saddam invaded Kuwait to get their oil fields. Iraq surrender and the UN Security Council passes the cease fire agreement which eventually leads to Bush 2 and Tony declaring war and decimating a beautiful country. 

• Options

Regarding the 2012 olympics am I the only person who saw absolutely none of it, not even one event, live, on tv or the news?

• Options

Thanks Alehouse!

Dubai runner, I didn't stay at home to watch every single event for the sake of it, but I did watch the ones I was interested in.  I was at the velodrome recently and it was actually a bit odd to see it without all the London 2012 signs plastered all over the place.

10 chilly miles this morning through the woods - 1243 to go.  The city of Brno was made a royal city in 1243; these days it's the second largest city in the Czech Republic and has an asteroid named after it.

• Options

There are ostrich steaks I think but what do I know - I'm a vegetarian image

8k with hill reps done. 2004 to go. 2004 was a leap year image

• Options

As daisyjess notes, there are 1253 miles in 2017k. Plus 0.3.

Usually most of us post around once a week rather than every day, but hey, today's run took me to 13k done, which is perhaps unlucky. On the other hand 2003 to go: 2003 saw the 50th anniversary of Everest being conquered, and there were Great Britain "Fruit and Vegetable" stamps issued, which would be appropriate for Chick!

• Options

10k completed 2007 to go

In 2007:

Madeleine McCann disappeared

The final book in the Harry Potter series is published: Harry Porter and the Deathly Hallows selling 11million copies in the first 24h becoming the fastest selling book in history.

The HS1 high speed channel tunnel link is opened

• Options

Hello everybody, I hope to exceed my mileage from last year, and in doing so, go past 2017 miles.

Trivia: on this day in 2018, a 2018 in 2018 thread will have been established and I, no doubt, will repeat this joke for 2019.

Have a good day, and good luck everybody. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

I'll join again, going for miles, but working in the my daily logging in km, just to confuse myself.I'll convert back to miles if I remember.

I have completed 14 miles. In 14 AD Tiberius became emperor of Rome. He declined a crown or wreath - which is why busts are shown without. He tended to say vague things to the Senate which sparked debates on what they meant, rather than gave clear instructions on what to do. (Like Brexit means brexit). Capri is called that because it was known as the old goat's garden - where he arranged for various kinds of sexual depravity.

• Options

20k done 1997k to go ...

In 1997, Labour under Tony Blair won the general election with a massive swing, bringing great hope ... ? image

• Options
    MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone! I'm going to try the 2017 km. Only started running at the beginning of last year, and only managed 385 miles, so it's a big ask!
  • Options

Myox, as I said in the first post, if I can do it anyone can! Just needs a bit of consistent consistency!

30k done: in 1987 my life changed! Eldest son was born! 

• Options

Tuesday: spin and yoga - 0k
    Yesterday: short tempo run at lunchtime - 6k
    Today: easy run before work - 12k

1986k to go - I was 18 in 1986 and passed my driving test image

• Options

53 miles completed with 1964 miles to go

In 1964

- Malta obtains independence 

- Northern Rhodesia becomes the Republic of Zambia ending 73 years of British rule

- the average weekly wage is £16, it's now £507

• Options

Oh and welcome MYOX, you can do it!

• Options

Week one complete, with 48k completed, so I'm up if going for 2017ks...and down if heading for 2017 miles. 

1969 to go: 1969 was significant for Richard Block and David Quayle starting a DIY superstore in Southampton. Eventually they owned a chain of such stores: B&Q to you and I.

• Options

1975 k to go. Niki Lauda was Formula One world champion that year and they opened the new Elbe Tunnel in my hometown of Hamburg. It's been a bottleneck ever since image Bit like the QE2 bridge but toll-free image

• Options
    Harmander Singh 2 wrote (see)

I did 2222.22 miles in 2016

If you can do the same again in 105 years time, you can boast about it then image

After 2016's fall at the final hurdle, I'm up and running for 2017 with 69km on the clock - thanks alehouse... 1948 to go.

1948 did, of course, see the founding of the NHS.   And as for 69, there can surely only be one thing that springs to mind with that number....  and that's the huge Brian Adams hit, the Summer of 69, which was not actually released in 1969.

• Options

50 miles completed. In AD 50, Hero of Alexandria described the construction of a rocket-like steam engine. It took nearly two millenia before someone in Manchester caught on (just joking) before the industrial revolution got started.