Options

2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Cal, taper madness, it is just your body repairing itself after all the training 

------------

an hour on the turbo last night watching the football, I had to work off the pub lunch!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yoga for me today. I'll be off out for a run tomorrow. It's getting close!
    If anyone cares to follow my progress during the race, my number's 2502. :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Lovely sunny 4 miles today. One warm-up, two at MP (actually faster than the 10:15 I need to run to finish in under 4:30) and one cool down (actually MP - oh well!).
    I could have run further, easily, but well, that's not the point is it? I get to do that on Sunday.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Cal, well done it is indeed getting close now and you are right, there is no fitness to be gained now, just keep the legs ticking over and cash in on Sunday.

---------------

Body pump and balance last night I did around 3 miles on the x-trainer in-between, the legs are shot today.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Cal is your marathon this coming Sunday (2nd?) its come around so fast! Your paces are looking good for a speedy run  :)
    Stewart well done on the running and cross training. How is the achilles holding up?
    Well done on the park run Sub17.
    No running for me at the weekend as I was in London with a friend. We did lots of walking so not concerned that last week was down to 40 miles. Back on track this week but so happy that the long runs are coming to an end. I'm really not enjoying them any more and after London will definitely switch to shorter distances for a while and a bit more pedalling. Easy 6 miles runs on Monday and today and four 2k intervals on Tuesday at threshold pace  :)
    F
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes! :scream:
    4 miles easy today - rather warm so considering not wearing sleeves in Manchester. Although of course London is always several degrees warmer than oop north.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    It's looking good for the weekend Cal. B) 15 degrees here this afternoon so I wouldn't be wearing sleeves - arm warmers are great if you're not sure  :) 10 half mile reps this morning, rest day tomorrow :) 
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    I took a tumble a couple of weeks ago on a club run, and my knee and hip are still very sore.  I had to cancel my local Half race, and all hopes of a Spring marathon are effectively over.  I'm just going to tick over for a few weeks then start an Autumn marathon plan in July.

Weekend Races
    02/04/2017 Manchester Marathon      Olliepop, Cal Jones, Stuart Martin, Ian5

Good luck peeps!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Damn, Tek, that is bad luck. :( I guess I should count my lucky stars that my recent fall didn't result in any damage.
    Which one are you planning? I was considering it but I intend to do a coaster tour of China in September, and then have Royal Parks in October (and River Thames...) so that pretty much rules me out. Maybe next year.
  • Options
    I ran 17:39 in my Park Run and another first place finish. Sore hamstring made it tough going and I maintained a steady pace during my Park Run with no fast opening mile.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow Cal, Ollie and Stuart  :) I hope that the weather is good for you and look forward to hearing how you get on.
    Well done on the park run win Sub17 :)  I hope the hamstring recovers quickly.
    Teknik thats not good about the fall. I hope that its nothing long term and that rest sorts it out so that you can get going for your autumn marathon - will that be Frankfurt again?  :)
    Did my long run today which wasn't as bad as I thought after a late night last night and then a rubbish sleep - that's the last 20 done for London  :)
    F
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Evening all, hope you're all well. :)

Looking forward to Manchester tomorrow, will try and aim for ~3:30 or thereabouts.
    Bought myself a new bike (named it Rocky) so been on its maiden voyage yesterday, other than that, just been keeping the streak going.

- - - - - - - - -  - - - -
    1 mile today given the marathon tomorrow.
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Good luck at Manchester SM6 and Cal, have a good 'un. :)
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Ended up cycling ~9 miles to Old Trafford, followed by the marathon, then a cycle back home the same route.  Managed it in 3:26.49 by my watch, legs still feel good so going to focus my PB efforts on the upcoming Autumn campaign and use today as a springboard for my training. :)
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Well done Ollie  :) that's a great run with the pedalling either side! The cycle home would have been good for the legs. Sounds like a nice easy run for you so looking great for the autumn campaign.
    Hope the others had a good day too  :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ollie - brilliant! How you got back on your bike I don't know. I could barely walk afterwards.
    I managed to go sub 4:30 - just! (4:29:29). That was a bit close as I ran sub-10s for the first half but just couldn't keep it going and got slower and slower. I even ran an 11:08 at mile 23. However, I'd done enough earlier to pull it off, and I achieved my goal of not walking. So I'm bloody exhausted, but pleased as punch.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal that's a brilliant time! I hope that you're celebrating now  :)
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Sub17 well done on another first place
    Fiona nice going on the 20 miler, and yes, hopefully Frankfurt
    Ollie well done on the marathon (and biking !)
    Cal well done, nicely judged !! :D

Just a 4m jog for me today...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fiona, if you mean am I splumped in front of the PC whilst shoving flapjack into my mouth, then yeah. :lol:
  • Options
    Well done Cal and Ollie 
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Ha ha nice one Cal!  
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Cal, Congratulations on achieving the sub 4:30, I knew you could do it :)

Ollie, awesome running and 18 miles on the bike too, I am expecting an amazing autumn marathon campaign :)

Fiona, well done I love the feeling getting the last 20 out of the way, enjoy the taper :)
    -------------

a week to forget as my mother passed away on Tuesday, which as you can imagine has knocked me for six, I feel like I need to get back to regular training I think it will help clear the head.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that Stewart, take care and I hope the running helps x
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stewart, I'm so sorry. I lost both my parents in 2013, four months apart, and being an only child, I had to deal with not just the loss but all the arrangements and legal issues. I didn't get much running done that year. I hope you can find some space to clear your head.
  • Options
    Stewart - So sorry to hear that mate.

Cal - Well done on the sub 4:30, great stuff  :)

Ollie - A cracking day training there, and a good marathon time :)

----------

3rd DNF from 4 races this year for me. Going off too fast probably didn't help, but dropped at 14. Might take 6 weeks off now, sick of running semi injured. Should have just resolved this properly last year but I'm an idiot.

• Options
    Thoughts are with you Stewart.
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Evening all. :)

Fiona: Thanks, enjoyed the run; nothing like a race to spur on the training.  Hope your training is going well.
    Cal: Well done on the sub-4, great running.  Hope you enjoyed your celebratory flapjack, and the opportunity to put your feet up. :)
    Teknik: Cheers, and nice going on the 4 mile jog.
    OH: Thanks a lot.
    SC: Thanks, gonna get my legs in gear for September.  Really sorry to hear about your Mother, hope the running helps clear your mind.  My thoughts are with you.
    SM6: Thanks, hope the 6 week break helps your recovery so you can be back up and running.

- - - - - - - - - - 

Did my streak maintenance (i.e. 1 mile) as well as a 6.2 mile cycle to and from work, which will make up my regular commute.
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Stewart I'm so sorry to hear that - I think getting out for a run will do some good
    Stuart that's bad luck, hope the rest cures it this time
    Ollie well done on the streak and bike commute
    --
    Just a 3.3m jog for me.  We're back home in Essex for Easter, so I'm hoping to get out a bit with my old club.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stuart, my commiserations. Being injured sucks. I hope you recuperate quickly.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Stuart I know the feeling, I never learn but its not easy to stop running. The bike is great at maintaining cardio fitness but takes a lot more time.
    Ollie well done on maintaining the streak  :)
    Teknik it'll be nice to get out with your old club  :) 
    Intervals for me last night - some 400's - and I managed one at 5:58mm pace which is unheard of for me. An easy 5 miles early this morning  :)
    F