Options

2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nah, I decided to err on the side of caution. I'll try a short run tomorrow. These niggly injuries are a right nuisance, aren't they?
    Sorry you're missing Sterling. :(

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did six miles slow (averaged 11 min/mi) today. My butt ached but it didn't get worse and I still enjoyed the run. Resting has made no difference so I'm just going to keep going and try to avoid anything that puts too much stress on it (ie hills or sprints).
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    cassie - see what your masseur says. It could just be a taper tantrum (aches and pains will often come to the surface during the taper) and it may well not be serious, but I'd advise having it checked out anyway. Thing with marathons is they will find any weakness you have and flog your with it mercilessly during the last six miles. But, since you're in your taper, there's not a lot you can do bar getting a massage. Try not to panic - your experience is a common one.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Cal, I use an indoor cricket ball to get into the deep muscles in the butt, I suspect you know all the stretches as you go to yoga,

Cassie, no gains to be made fitness wise so you could rest up and the massage could do the trick, good luck.

--------------

Gym this morning 6 miles on the x-trainer and some weights, I'll be back this evening for body balance and I might do a few laps of the track before hand.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Shame about Stirling Stewart, it's  never good when you can't run races you've entered.  :/
    Cal take it easy with your niggly butt! Is it piriformis?
    Cassie not much can be done now but in most cases rest works. 
    My right calf has been niggly for the last week. It had settled but after threshold intervals on Saturday and a nice easy 75 minutes yesterday it's back. Will rest it now (will turbo but not run) as there's nothing to be gained by running for the next few days. 
    F
  • Options
    Sunday was a 3 hour long walk with an hour of walking up and down stairs. 25 mile easy cycle on Tuesday. Wednesday will be a 10 mile easy walk/jog. Another 25 mile easy cycle on Thursday. Park Run on Saturday.

I will need to build up towards 18+ mile long runs in 3 hours. 18 @ 10m/m = 3 hours, 20 @ 9m/m = 3 hours. 22 miles @ 8m/m = 2h56mins.  

In mid-June to celebrate my 100th Park Run, I will run Marathon #9. 3:15 is my goal time and I will pace accordingly. There are only pacers for 3:00, 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 pacers, so I will need to run between the 3:00 to 3:30 pace groups to get my time goal. 

Mid week will include: easy cycles, gym session and easy runs. Park Run + long walk/run on Sunday. 26.2 miles is my longest training run, 3 months before my Target Marathon to bring up Marathon #10. Sub 3:10 will be my time goal.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stewart, I use a hockey ball. No seams. :)
    Fiona - Pretty sure it's actually high hamstring tendinopathy. But I've had piriformis issues before. I'm wondering if I should see the physio (I already get sports massage).

Did another achey 4 miles today. I can run with it - question is, whether I should. But the three days of rest I gave it made zero difference.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, the problem was no worse today and, in fact, felt slightly better than yesterday, so I opted for a stress test in the form of a progression run. 6 miles - 1 warm-up (easy pace), then four miles starting at MP and working down to HMP, and another mile to cool-down.
    Kind of enjoyed it. The glute ham feel a bit achey/niggly but not terrible, and the discomfort does not seem to increase with speed (not that I should be doing sprints, mind you). I'm seeing my physio later so we'll see what he says.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Cal, at least you can train with the niggle, hopefully the physio will give you the green light to continue training.

Fiona, good luck on Sunday your training has gone well and you have managed the ankle really well, I'll be rooting for you whilst watching the coverage on the beeb.

S17, good luck with the sub 3:15 attempt

--------

Two miles on the track after pump on Monday, balance was cancelled at the last minute, which was a little annoying, I was looking forward to a good stretch.  4.5 miles along the canal yesterday morning and around 5 miles on the x-trainer in the evening, will be back in the gym this evening for some more boring miles on the x-trainer.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah he has, Stewart, although hills aren't allowed yet (kind of a problem with Liverpool looming!) Ah, I'll manage I'm sure. I've also got to do my exercises. I guess this whole issue is because I've slacked off on that front.
  • Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    I'm done now, feet up till Sunday.
    Did up to 21 miles in training @ 8.58 but majority of runs have averaged around the 8.20-8.40 m/m.
    Desperate for sub 4 hrs, after doing 4hr 50 in 2014.

Wish everyone a safe run on Sunday!
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks Stewart  :) just hope the calf behaves now - it'll be a nice distraction from the ankle! Its a shame that the balance class was cancelled. I always mean to go to the classes but being the other side of town makes me lazy! You're doing great with all your cross training; it'll pay off.  :)
    Cal I hope that your injury settles, its great that you can still run. What is the event in Liverpool?
    Another turbo this morning and possibly the same tomorrow. 
    F
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Evening all, hope everyone is well. :)

4 miles plus 10k cycle to kickstart the recovery portion of the marathon plan, which I hope to complete before transitioning back into P&D.

Not much reading going on but been catching up on all the Doctor Who that I've missed so I'm now up to date, cause I'm a nerd like that. :p
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon, Fiona. Yeah...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rest day yesterday and 4 easy today. Apparently my injury didn't like the rest day much. Fair enough, I'll rest less, then!
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Good Luck for Sunday to anybody running VLM. I'll be there supporting so if you put numbers up i'll look out for you and give a shout  B)

Stewart - sorry to read about your Mum

Fiona - hope the calf is ok, fingers crossed for you

Tek and NP both noticeable by their absence, so hope all is ok ....
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Mace, thanks how is it going?

Fiona, good luck on Sunday I'll keep an eye on the tracker

Cal, rest days are overrated anyway ;) well done with the 4 mile easy run.

snewmaOO, sub 4 should be achievable as long as those LR paces didn't take too much out of you.

Ollie, when does the schedule start?

------------

5 miles in the woods at Balloch yesterday morning, perfect conditions along the trails, cricket training in the evening, feeling a little stiff today but a good stretch at body balance will sort me out later, fingers crossed the class won't be cancelled again.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the best wishes folks  :)
    mace I'm 534, numbers front and back with a pink stripe through them. A chip on each shoe too, a champs start thing so I can use the extra weight as an excuse for my slow time! 
    Hope that all is well with you  :)
    Cal shame that the rest day didn't work!
    Stewart that's a nice run at Balloch, fingers crossed for your balance class.  :)
    Ollie enjoy the nice relaxed transition before P & D starts  :)
    Meeting NP for a run tomorrow  :)
    Hope everyone has a good weekend and good luck to all racing or doing long runs  :)
    F
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Hey all.

SC: Hopefully get started properly in 5 weeks time.

- - - - - - - - - - - 
    5 miles today to complete day 490.

Good luck to the weekend racers. :)
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow, everyone! Fiona, I hope your calf and ankle behave. Sending good vibes your way.

A parkrun stress test today. One mile warm-up, which was fine despite having a very achey butt yesterday (I think some of that ache is down to the rehab exercises, actually). I was intending to run parkrun at HM pace but went a little quicker (average 8:43). Some aching after the first mile but nothing awful. I had a long chat after with a marshall who was doing London tomorrow and a 100 miler the following weekend (nutter!) and after that I was able to jog down the road with no discomfort.
    I will try a longer run tomorrow to see how it copes with a bit more distance.
  • Options
    All the best to all the competitors in the London Marathon.

Sunday and Wednesday were easy long walks. 
    Tuesday and Thursday were easy cycles.

On Friday I ran 25km in 2 hours.
    Today in my Park Run I ran 18:11.
    Tomorrow I will run 20km at an easy pace.
    During the week I will run 2 days and cycle 2 days.
    I will take Friday off as rest day ahead of my next Park Run.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all those doing London today. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - 
    7 miles from me today, easy does it.
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    8 easy today, although I should say I felt pretty bone tired throughout and my glute and a few other bits and pieces were very grumpy. I guess parkrun took a bit more out of me than I thought it would.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all that have raced today, time to cash in.

4 miles very easy this morning I was and am still a bit stiff after cricket yesterday, must be getting old!
  • Options
    TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Its very quiet today. I hope everyone made it back from London yesterday. Well done to all the participants!! 

I'm training for the amsterdam marathon...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It is! The Shades marathon thread is a lot more active. I hope everyone who ran yesterday did well.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    very quiet in here, anyway just body pump for me last night, I hope to get out for a run before balance this evening, hopefully the conditions outside will have improved by then.
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Hey all.

Well done to all that raced last weekend, hope everyone is recovering well.

5 miles for me today, in just over 40 minutes.
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Where did the spring weather go? Cold out today with an icy wind which made for a rather unenjoyable run. I did the minimum 4, easy pace with the third mile a bit faster (mostly so I could finish the run quicker!) My injury is aching a lot but also seems worse after rest days.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Ollie, well done with the 5 are you still streaking
    Cal, be careful with the niggle, did you see someone?

----------------

4 miles again last night, the sun was out but it was cold and there was an April hail shower hopefully that will be the end of the cold weather after all it is Spring.