2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart nice bunch of training runs, hope the race went well

Fiona well done on the treadie, the turbo and the hill reps - hope you survived the long run !

Sub17 well done on the win!

OH well done on the 10 miler in the snow

Tricia lolimage

---

Longish run of 13.6m today, a bit of a struggle if I'm honest, with an icy rain shower thrown in for good measure.image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 thats some great training hope the XC went well.image

Fiona well done on the cold weather training I hope the knee is ok and your long run went ok.

Sub 17 another nice parkrun.

OH thats a nice bounce back and 10 miles banked in very poor weather.image

Tricialitt enjoy the skiing, not enough snow here for itimage

Teknik nice 13.6m banked and again in poor conditions.

Took the dog out for a walk last night and both of us struggled to stay on our feet and was a little like that this morning for his walk. I has a club XC handicap race 6 miles, after my warm up my feet where like ice and soaked the course was very muddy and zapped the legs. Managed to over take a few and came 4th so happy with the progress from the last XC raceimage Long run tomorrow.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done Sub17 on another win image

OH sounds like a tough run for your comeback image I don't really enjoy running in snow/ice!

Envious of the skiing Tricia, hope the weather holds for you. image

Well done with the long run Teknik. image

Thats a great XC result NP! image Looks like it might be milder for the long run tomorrow. Planning mine tomorrow too as I wasn't feeling great last night or today - hot/cold and shivery. I got all dressed for the run then realised I couldn't face it but its so boring staying indoors! Suppose its better to be ill when the weather is bad than on a nice day! image

F

• Well done on the long runs, folks, and superb XC, NP!

So, first time out with Chasers marathon group. We were supposed to do two laps of Richmond Park (around 14.5 miles). I got completely lost and ended up climbing some awful muddy hill where I had to walk in order to avoid a dirty faceplant, then jogging around in circles, asking directions when I could get them, so ultimately I only managed 11 miles in a little over 2 hours. The frustrating thing was, the miles I ran properly, I ran well, but there was a 14 and a 13 minute mile in there from the muddy hill and then stopping to ask the way.

Oh well, guess I will know for next time!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona hope you are feeling better and your run went ok with no strange after effects. The weather here was fine first thing the only problem I had was my garmin went flat, my own fault for not charging it.

Cal did you not run your long run as a group, if not it's not very nice people running off on you, well done on the 11 miles with muddy hills.

Legs a little on the heavy side this morning but nice to get the first real long run in for VLM 18 miles @ 7:29 pace and just over 70 miles for the weekimage

• NP: Sounds like you have had a good week: nice long run, high mileage and a great XC place

Cal: Bad luck on your run today I would have been pretty pissed off by the end of it

Fiona: hope you are feeling better.  Snow is tough stuff to run in as I am also rediscovering.  Been right down on pace a couple of times this week but certainly not effortwise in the deeper stuff

SM6: - hope the XC went well  - did you get up in time for it this time? image

Tricia: I've been known to ski in all sorts of weather (including Scottish) but didn't fancy it this weekend in a snow storm for my first outing this season

OH: Nice change of scene for your daughter.  I live not far from Berne.  Last time I was in Zurich was running the marathon last year   

sub17: Well done on you first place

Me:
    5.5km slow jog yesterday evening in up to 20 cm of powder snow in places and gingerly shuffling over freezing tarmac in others.  Had one fall - in the snow fortunately - there must have been some ice lurking under it - no damage done.

This afternoon 16km in 1:27:36 in much better conditions underfoot

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cal thats a shame about the run. As NP says not good if it was meant to be a group run. Decent mileage though - same as me today! image

Thats a quality run NP image I'm much better thanks. Thats great mileage so early image My mileage will be so much lower than it used to be before London. At least I know my last 2 PBs were on low mileage but I still have to get my head round that in the run up to VLM!! image

Take care HCH! Good the fall was in snow and great mileage in tough conditions! image

An easy peasy run for me today. 11 miles at 8:07mm pace - the last mile was 9mm as running through deep mud uphill. Really happy as it was such a lovely day with all the snow and ice gone overnight image Mileage particularly low at 39 miles for the week after missing yesterday's run. Mileage peaked at 55 for Frankfurt and averaged 40-45/week. Used to be 70 miles a week but my biomechanics are so poor that I always ended up injured so have to be careful. 

F

• A lot to read back on!image

Fiona - That's a good pace for the 11, in what doesn't sound like great conditions!image Your training for Frankfurt was clearly spot on, so no need to worry about your running mileage being lower than it was a few years ago!

Hazelnut - Hope theres no damage after the fall. A couple of decent runs in those conditions!image

NP - Great work on the XC race, and a nice long run and weekly total tooimage

Cal - That sounds a bit of a nightmare of a run, but a 2hr run isn't to be sniffed at!image

Tek - Well done on the LRimage, I always find it a grind to build the long run miles up!

OH - Well done on the 10 milesimage Glad you're feeling betterimage

Tricia - IS that you volunteering so that you can get a place for next years race image

S17 - Well done on 1st place.image

---------

4.6 miles pre-pub on Friday, easy. About 6 miles yesterday with ~ 8k XC race at approx tempo effort, didn't feel upto racing so put in a solid effort but would have been very near the back of the field. Wasn't lapped thoughimage

Been busy today, so haven't ran but plan to go out for about 6-8 miles shortly. Then hopefully 18-19 tomorrow afternoon.

• SM6- I must admit that the section on the fling application where it asked you how much volunteering you'd done does focus the mind............. not sure I'm up for WHW yet- we'll see how the G 24 goes if I get in, but no harm in accruing a  bit of "credit". Anyway- I think it will be a fun way to get involved- last year I really enjoyed a bit of crewing, and any involvement is good- not as good as running, but still gets you in there!

30 mins on tready again hearer in snowy british columbia. Also watching the "dots" on the spine race- hypnotic.

Sounds like a tough run, Fiona C- your weekly mileage has always been much better than mine- I struggle with anything above 35 miles.

Hazelnut CH- well done on getting out  in the weather- hope the slip didn't lead to any problems.

NP- that sounds like the VLM campaign is well underway.

Cal - not happy that they buggered off and left you - sounds unfriendly, to say the least. I'd not be going back.

To bed now- need to get a bit of enthusiasm together for skiing tomorrow!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP well done at the XC and really good going on the 18m LR - great week's total too.image

Fiona hope you're over the shivers; well done on the 11m run and the week's totalimage

Cal, like the others, I'm a bit perplexed that they left you behind!image

Hazelnut ouch! Well done for getting the runs inimage

Stuart nice effort with the XC; hope the LR goes well todayimage

Tricia well done on the treadie againimage

---

Just a couple of recovery jogs yesterday, 4.3m in total, and 45m for the weekimage

• Some good miles going in Cal, H-CH, NP

Zurich familiar to youngest already as she spent her exchange year there

skipped XC yesterday (yet another cold) but put in 6.5 miles today followed by a short swim. 

Fail to see the point of a group run unless you run together Cal.

• Fiona: 11 mile run @ a good pace.

HazNC: 10 mile run in under 90 mins is a great run.

Cal: Pity the group left you behind.

tricia: Very cold conditions in BC. Well done with gym session.

NP:  70 miles for the week and finishing with 18 miles @ 7:29. 

SM6: Excellent mileage and best of luck with 18+ long run.

Tek: 45 miles for the week.

AOH:  6.5 miler. A shame about missing XC.

------------------

Today at the gym: I ran 9.5 miles over 3 treadmill runs + 2 x 2km on rowing machine.

Tuesday and Thursday: my gym sessions will include more treadmill runs and rowing.

Wednesday and Friday will be rest days ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

• Some great training going on.

S17, well done with the mix of training and good luck at parkrun this weekend

OH, shame about the xc, hope you're feeling better

tek, good mileage again building nicely, 

NP 4th place is a great result sounds like you're getting back on form, just in time for London.

Fiona, I hope you are feeling better now, and you have managed to get some quality miles don on the trails and on the bike

Tricia, it sounds really cold over there well done getting out for a ski and getting on the treadie when you can

Hazel, good to hear the fall didn't do any damage

SM, well done with the tempo effort at the xc, I bet it was still a hard run though, good luck with the LR today

------------

Sorry been AWOL, not much to report I was getting a bit greedy upping the frequency and running 4 days on the trot with two quicker session didn't agree with the Achilles, I decided after Tuesday's run with JS to rest up for a few days as it was a bit achy, it is feeling a lot better now so I should be able to get back on it once I have recovered from a bit of man flu.

I've got a sports massage this evening so I'll probably start backup tomorrow.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stuart the XC sounds like a tough run - a good session bagged! Well done getting out late last night too. image

Tricia hope you got some nice weather today for skiing image

Teknik well done getting the recovery runs done; that's a great weekly mileage. image

OH I hope your cold disappears quickly. image

Sub17 well done on your treadmill runs, must be tough when it's so hot outside. image

Stewart I hope the achilles behaves now - good luck with the massage image hope it doesn't hurt too much!

An easy 6.25 miles for me this morning, just under 8mm. 75 minutes on the turbo just finished - a nice easy high cadence spin. image

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hazelnut well done on the run in the snow thankfully you didn't hurt yourself when you fellimage

Fiona glad you are feeling better and you went well in the last two marathons with all the bike work plus the running. Nice to get some easy miles in , nice 11 miles image

SM6 nice training hope the long run goes to plan tomorrowimage

Tricialitt well done on the treadmill running enjoy the skiingimage

Teknik well done on the milage for the week well and truly off the bench nowimage

OH nice 6.5 miles and swimimage

Sub 17 well done with the treadmill running and rowing.image

SC enjoy the massage and hope the Achilles is ok.image

Today was 70x25m front crawl and a trail run of 7.5 miles the run was fine but didn't end well. About 50m from the end/car park two guys where walking and then let there Alsatian and Rottweiler off the lead. They immediately attacked Buddy, I love animals but these two where vicious, I don't think they expected me to react the way I did. Both dogs yelped away and I don't think they will come near me again or Buddy. But one of the guys shouted leave my dogs alone and as I turned round took a swing at me with his chain/lead. Thankfully this missed me and he got a mouthful of me, Buddy wasn't himself all afternoon but he has come round now.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Cross post Fiona another nice days trainingimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP I saw that on strava. Really bad when people don't control their dogs and encourage them to be aggressive. Years ago that happened to me when walking our border collie - he was chased by 2 alsatians and was terrified - but I couldn't do anything and thank goodness our poor dog was faster. A shocking thing to happen to you but they picked the wrong person! image

F

• NP, sorry you and Buddy had to go thorugh that. I'm glad neither of you were harmed. Arseholes like that should not be allowed to own dogs.

Stewart, hope the massage does the trick.

Well done on your runs, Sub-17, Fiona and OH.

Regarding the Sunday run, it wasn't that I got left behind. There are a lot of speedy people in the club so there are groups for sub-3, 3:15, 3:30 and 3:45, then the last group (mine) covers any target above 3:45. Which is wide range. On Sunday there were a few ladies wanting to run 10 minute miles, and a couple of guys (one older guy running his first marathon, and one nutter with a backpack training for Marathon des Sables) wanting to do 11s. I tend to run somewhere between those times. I started with the two guys but I just found them slower than I wanted to go, so I pushed on ahead. I could see the girls in the distance but I think they took the wrong route, I followed and then lost sight of them. So it was my fault, really - I should have just picked a group and stuck with it. I probably could have handled the 10 min/mi group, on reflection, but eh, never mind.

Anyway, took a lazy day yesterday - butt was pretty sore from the Richmond Park hills - and the constant rain dissuaded me from going out. I already ran in the rain on Sunday - I wasn't going to do it again.

So out today instead. Fresh, sunny, cold. All cold weather clothing deployed. Completed 6.22 miles (a nice 10K). First couple of miles were slow as my sore bits grumbled; middle miles were slightly less slow but still slow, then last two were MP (it wasn't really meant to be a progression run - I just warmed up).

I'll run again tomorrow but may take both Thursday and Friday off as I have a 10K on Saturday.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH hope you're over the cold, well done on the 6.5m and swim

Sub17 good work at the gym

Stewart hope the massage and rest did the trick

Fiona well done on the easy run and turbo session

NP sorry to hear about the idiots with dogs

Cal where's the 10k on Saturday? Well done on the progression run

---

Just a 3.25m recovery jog plus some short strides for me yesterdayimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

...and another 3.3m jog plus short strides again tonightimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Cal Well done on the progressive 10k run, good luck with the race on Saturday.image

Teknik nice to see you keeping the strides in your runs, great for leg turn overimage

Double run day today so just over 5.5 miles on the trails and a pyramid session with the club tonight. Happy with the way the training is going at this stage. MLR tomorrow and a swim.image

• Tek/NP - Battersea Park. Fast and flat. image This is the course I choose if I am aiming for a PB, though in this instance, I feel a bit fat and bloated so I'm not sure that's going to happen, especially as I've not been focussed on speed lately. I'll just go and see what happens.

I wouldn't call what I did yesterday a progression run - more like an easy recovery with two MP miles tacked on the end because it was cold and I wanted to get back for my breakfast.image

Today was a proper progression run. -1 degrees out, so ideal for some speedwork. One mile warm-up (10:38), 4 progression (9:44, 9:21, 9:11, 8:49) and one cool-down (10:06, which is MP really, but felt slow after the previous miles). Happy with that.

Only thing was my left foot getting pins and needles during the last mile. This happens from time to time and it's a bit bothersome. I guess something is tight somewhere. I'll ask my masseur next time I go.

Well done on the double, NP - glad the training is going well.

Tek, I wasn't going to run tomorrow but I may just nip out for some cheeky strides as well. image

• I spoke to the greatest marathon runner, Steve Edwards (mainly because he's doing my local event the Gloucester City Marathon) and he told me he spends at least one day on strength conditioning as it helps with his overall running posture etc. What does anyone else think?

• Glosman I'm never sure. I guess it depends what limits you in terms of time spent training- if it is a mileage limit, beyond which, you start to get injured then obviously adding other training types in any spare time is likely to be worthwhile. If the problem is total time available to train, but you can cope with more mileage ( as for many of us non- elite types, who also have to do job/ family etc stuff), then perhaps the best use of time might be running. I don't know.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Cal well done on todays proper progression runimage Sounds like you need to stretch a bit more.

Glosman welcome I don't think he is the greatest ever marathon runner, his PB is 2:51 a long time ago 1990's. He is good at running marathons in and around 3:20 at the age of 50 now so some 5 years younger than myself. Core work helps myself and swimming.

70x25 m front crawl this morning and 13Miles on the trails late afternoon.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP well done on the 5.5m trail run and club pyramid session, and good swim and 13m todayimage

Cal nice going on today's run, hope the foot's ok - laces too tight?image

Tricia/Glosman I agree if time is the constraint, more running is the better optionimage

---

9.4m tonight including 8m at MaraHR with the club...came in at 8:09mm, very slow uphill, so a whole load of work to be done to get in shape.image

• NP Well done on the swim session

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik well done on the MP session image the pace will come down in no time at all!

Nice trail running and swim NP. Yesterday was a great day here, would have been lovely to be off road. image

Glosman I agree with the others that extra running is good but personally I can't push the miles as I get injured so for me it would be cross training.

Cal nice progressive run, I hope that the foot is back to normal. image

No running for me the last two days as not feeling great but back to it today image also the part arrived for my treadmill. I didn't hold out much hope but (touches wood) it's working! Also tried the part in my old treadmill that has been sitting in the garage for 5 years and it works too so may as well order another control panel and have a back up treadmill. So this morning I did some intervals - 5 x 5 minutes at 6:54mm pace with 90 second recoveries. Hopefully I'll catch up on the missed runs as plan to run on my rest day and maybe try a couple of doubles.

F

• 9.5 miles on Monday, 9 miles on Tuesday and 10 miles. Park Run on Saturday will make it 30+ miles for the week.

• Tek, won't be the laces - I wear Flyknits and I'm lazy so I don't often unlace them when I take them off. image

I've had the issue before and I found a whole thread about people with the same problem in the injury forum, dating back years. Seems to be quite common and more prevalent when it's cold. Probably a combination of tight calves (always a problem of mine, no matter how much I stretch the buggers) and hard ground (not to mention freezing temperatures...). It generally last around 10 minutes and then goes away. Sure I'll live. image

Anyway, Tek, good work on the session. You've been through a lot lately so just take it as it comes. You'll be back on form before you know it. (I wish 8:09 was my slow instead of my flat out to the point of puking...)

Nice miles, Sub17.

Feeling a bit sore today especially my left glute, which has been an annoyance of late, so I just did my 90 minute Bikram class. Studio wasn't as hot as normal so it was actually quite pleasant. On the plus side, that achilles insertion issue I had in the Autumn seems to have buggered off. It's not sore even if I press on it now. So, good!