2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona glad you're back on it; nice intervals sessionimage

Sub17 good to see you putting in some more milesimage

Cal good news on the Achilles, finally shaken it by the sounds of it.  Well done on the Bikram - I used to do a hot yoga class but 90 minutes would have killed me...image

---

5.4m easy tonight around Hyde Park.  Long run tomorrow...image

• Survived the ski trip (well, just need to manage to get to the airport, than get home without suffering alcohol poisoning). Will get home saturday afternoon, try to run gently on sunday afternoon. Then right back into it, jet lag allowing!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Tricia welcome home !

I didn't manage the LR today - just a MLR of 11.15 plus another 0.5m jog back from the station with some milk.image

• Not a lot happening here, think I have the flu. Magic... If it's not one thing it's another at the momentimage

• I ran 17:16 in my Parkrun today and my 30th first place finish.

• Good job on the 1st place, Sub17.

Glad you had fun, Tricia.

Tek - going to have to call you the milkman, I think!

Stuart - get well soon eh?

Battersea Park 10K today. Very bloody cold - lake was frozen over and there were some slippery patches on the course. I layered up and got a bit too warm during the race, but I'd rather be warm than too cold.

I didn't get a PB today but I did manage my second fastest time - 53:48 - which is also only my second time under 54 minutes. First mile went down in 8:30 which is a bit fast for me over 10K, and I couldn't keep that up. I stayed in the 8:30s for two more miles but mile 4 was bad (9:04). After that I gave myself a stern talking to and pulled back with am 8:52 and an 8:48 plus a strong finish.

I'm not disappointed with that as I'm still carrying my winter weight and I've also been focussed on distance rather than speed. I'm generally faster in the Autumn, so I think this is actually a decent time for January and bodes well for my half marathons next month.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart bad luck ! Hope you shake it off quicklyimage

Sub17 nice time and another win ! Well doneimage

Cal sorry I forgot to announce your race (again)...well done on the time, I agree it bodes well for the upcoming racesimage

---

I spent all day sodding around trying to get my tax return together, so not much running here - just a 1m w/up and 1m fartlek on the treadie...

• well done Cal on racing in the cold, long run for me in the morning, just hope I can slow it down to 9:00 m/mile , find it sooooo hard to slow down though.

Anybody know where the Manchester marathon 2017 thread went ?

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik well done on the MP club run on Wednesday your run in Hyde Park, the MLR and todays Fartlek session. Hope the TAX returns got sortedimage

Welcome Rohid and Dazimage

Fiona glad you are feeling better and also got your treadmill sorted that was a nice interval session.image 

Sub 17 nice Parkrun and weeks training.image

Cal well done on the yoga and good news about the Achilles. Big well done on your second fastest 10K and it will help with that half marathon next monthimage

Tricialitt hope you had a safe journey hope and enjoy your first run on home soil tomorrow.image A friend of mine is away skiing at the moment and his wife fell over and broke her arm in two placesimage

SM6 hope you survive the man fluimage

Well Thursday was a double day easy 6 on the trails and a Tempo light 6 late afternoon. Rest day yesterday was child minding which is a 5:30 dark O'clock start to get down to the sons house and home early evening so without doing anything I was knackered last night..... Today was five miles including the Parkrun 17:20 so happy my times are coming down, 50 miles so far this week with a long run tomorrow should be close to 70 for the week. Next week will be a recovery week and the miles will drop a bit for a 5 mile race on Sunday just outside Dublin.image all good here.

• Daz, I was wondering that. I couldn't see it. Did it get deleted?

Excellent parkrun, NP. image

• no idea Cal , seems to have been deleted for some reason.

• I made a new one, Daz.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stuart I hope you are feeling better. It's such a bad time of year for illness image

NP more great training and obviously paying off with such a speedy park run time! image

Teknik good to get some fresh air after doing your tax! image

Daz welcome - are you staying with us if your thread has disappeared? image

Cal well done on your 10k. I always feel slower in winter - my hill reps yesterday were slower than in summer although heart rate was higher. image

Sub17 well done on your 1st place! image

Welcome home Tricia image

I got out for a short recovery treadmill run on Thursday night - two runs in one day so hopefully it will keep working! Friday was an easy hour or so then yesterday I did some rolling hills. As mentioned pace slower than summer but I did put in the effort. Higher HR could be down to the cold, antibiotics or being less fit! image Then in the afternoon I went to see a friend doing a local bike event - the Strathpuffer - a 24 hour mountain bike enduro. So annoyed as I managed to pull my right calf walking up and down the hills in my walking boots. Going to try my run and see how it feels.

F

• Fiona - Good training there, hope the calf isn't too bad. One of my clubmates was doing the Strathpuffer, as a pair. 24hr biking sounds even dafter than 24hr running...! Hope your run goes wellimage

NP - Nice miles for the week, and an excellent parkrunimage

Tek - That wasn't really much of a run!image

Cal - Still a good runimage, how far off your PB was that?

S17 - Well done on the parkrunimage

Feeling a bit better, but still not risking running. Maybe tomorrow.

It's getting worrying that i have a 53 mile ultra in under 14 weeks, and have yet to go further than 17 miles... Starting to think abut doing Manchester as a training run again...

• SM6-14 weeks is loads of time- it's not as if you don't have all the previous training still in your legs to base it on- I'm in the same boat- the only run of over 10 miles since christmas is the 17 miler I did the first weekend in januaury. I need to go out NOW, and get started again. At least I don't have the lurgy ( as yet), although I seem to develop one after most long haul flights.

24 hours on a bike sounds dreadful, in a number of ways- I have seen the race on the Adventure show.

• Stuart - 13 seconds.

And yikes. Ultra is not in my vocabulary at this point. image Well, Manchester's still open at the discount price - you could do worse things.

Fiona, hope the calf tweak is nothing serious.

----

Although I raced a 10K yesterday, that marathon isn't going to run itself so it was out for a long run today despite the cold (-2.2 according to Garmin). I wasn't sure how my body would deal with it so I decided I'd do a minimum of 12 miles (which is what I needed to total 30 miles for the week) but try to do more if I could.

I ended up doing 18. The first half was via Brockwell Park, so it was hilly. I did an extra lap of the park (2.5 laps instead of 1.5 laps) for more hilly goodness then ran back towards Clapham Common which is nice and flat. I felt pretty good at 12 miles. I was actually running a little faster than easy pace, thanks to the cold, but once I reached 13 it was like the battery ran out of juice. Given that I'd been running for a little more than 2 hours at this point, I guess that was literally true because glycogen stores are only supposed to be good for 2 hours, and I was doing this fasted and without gels.

I wanted to head for home at this point but told myself that this is the point at which strength - physical and mental - is built, so I pushed on with two laps of that common, then back home.

It was a positive split but not by a huge amount, and even though it was a mile shorter than my last long run, I'm quite happy with it as it was considerably quicker (10:33 average vs 10:59 average) which is excellent coming the day after a hard 10K.

No major niggles, either. Some general aching from running for a little over 3 hours, but I'm not in bad shape really.

• Cal, to be only 13 seconds outside your pb is awesome given you are not feeling as fit as you were a few months ago, it all bodes well for another good year with all your race times going in the right direction.well done with the long run today especially after a hard 10k race.

Tricia, welcome back sounds like you have had a good break away on the slopes

SM, hope you're feeling better soon and I am sure you'll manage to get the required training done in time for your ultra. how's the injury?

Fiona, another good week I hope the calf is ok and the test run was uneventful

NP, you're a machine, well done with the 70 mile week and fast parkrun,

Tek, a few miles is better than nowt!

S17, congratulations on another 1st place at parkrun and good to see the mileage rising.

---------------

I have only manage 2 runs this week 3 and 5 miles respectively, I don't think I have recovered from the bug as the HR was very high although it did feel easy, hopefully I'll manage to get a few more miles in next week. 

• Fiona- get some ice on that calf, and look up the recovery advice- hope it's not too bad.

Cal- great start to the racing year. And a back -to-back as well! 

Stewart & Stuart- hope the bugs settle quickly, -don't push it too hard until you've really got over it- I think longer. slower runs are probably less worrying than fast stuff.

I'm back at it after the flight home- 6 miles on jet- lagged legs, but not too bad after no "real"( ie non- treadmill) running since 1st jan. As always after a ski trip. my plantar fascia feels a bit twingy- I know from a few bad experiences in the past that I will need to ease back into it, or I'll end up with foot niggles, but at least I'm back on the way. The journey back wasn't bad, but you always feel a but crap for a day or 2.

• Did twenty miles today. My marathon's in four weeks, I probably won't be going this far again. I think a 16 miler next Sunday is probably going to be the longest one after this, then just shorter runs as some sort of vaguely planned taper :P

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good to hear that you're feeling better Stuart. It's amazing how much the body can adapt in 14 weeks! 

Cal well done on the long run. That's an amazing distance for being relatively unplanned. image

Stewart hope you feel better soon; its rubbish when lurgy gets in the way of running. 

Tricia I recall one of my worst runs ever was after a long haul flight. Think it was about 2mm slower than normal! 

Welcome Mr Tim.

Well I taped up my calf, got the compression socks on and managed my run. Just an easy pace 13 miles but happy with that. image So just under 45 miles for the week.

• Fiona - Well done on the the 13 miles, good total for the week tooimage

MrTim - What marathon is that for?

Tricia - Well done on the 6 milesimage

Stewart - I think the injury is a bit better, but as I've only ran once in 8 days, I'm not exactly sure!image How about yours?

Cal - That's a great run the day after a race, well doneimage

-------------

Vaguely wrote up a training plan for the Fling, based on doing 2 long runs a week (not back to back, Saturday and Monday) and I'll try to stick a tempo run in during the week to try to keep some speed.

It looks a hell of a lot of miles, but assuming it's all nice and easy (I'll need to learn how to walk during the long runs too I suppose) it hopefully won't be too destructive on my achilles.

Going to run today, plan says 8 miles.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Back on it after 2 days of hell, care of HMRC.  6.5m miles easy this afternoon, after an unplanned cutback week of 37m last weekimage

• Fiona, great to hear you managed the run and good totals for the week, 

SM, Achilles has settled down after the flare up a fortnight ago and it seem fine today after 5 easy yesterday, I think the 4 days in a row with two faster sessions didn't help, but I do want to be able to run on consecutive days or I'll never get the mileage up, I guess I should lay off the tempo stuff until I can manage running more than 2/3 days in a row.

Tek, I am sure the enforced recovery week will do you know harm well done with the easy 6

----------------

tempted to do a short run around the bught before gym/swim, but not sure if it is a good idea!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona nice double day on the treadmill fingers crossed for the calf but you did the right thing to tape it up and go easy 13 miles banked and no after effects and a good total for the weekimage

SM6 14 weeks is a good way off yet, plans always look massive but how often do we end up adding more milesimage A friend of mile did big miles all at a very slow pace then banged out a FGFA marathon after an ultra. hope the 8 tonight went ok.

Tricialitt welcome back and well done on the jet lag 6 milesimage

Cal well done on the 18 miles after a hard 10k, back to back hard days will make you strongimage

SC well done on last weeks running you are heading in the right direction, hope you enjoyed your swim and gym work.image

Mr Tim welcome.

Teknik that is still a good weeks running, nice 6.5 this afternoon.image

Yesterdays long run was just over 16 miles and 66.7 for the week, this week is a cut back week and today was 70x25m front crawl followed by a massage and a very easy 4.5 miles on the trails. Legs feeling good at this stage of training image

• SM6- the main thing I learned from my first fling attempt was to do tons of hillwalking in training - I spent many hours walking during the race, and it was clear that I had not trained adequarely for that............... the running was fine unttil right near the end, but walking over the roller coaster after Beinglas was hell, and far too steep in parts to run- some sideways/ backwards crab-style walking were required, if I recall! Last year I was able to walk it much more comfortably, and saved myself about 20 mins, plus a lot of suffering.

Nice mileage NP- I'm jealous.

• 'Knock knock.'
    'Who's there?'
    'O'Mara'
    'O'Mara who?'
    'Oh, Marathon Runner.'

Hello, still running though not as far or as fast as I'd like to be.  Plan is to build my endurance back up, run the Manchester marathon as a 'fun run', rather than target any particular time, then target an Autumn marathon.

Anyway, that's the plan, and today saw a 5 mile gallop to see off day 402 (I think) of my streak.
    Will have a read back in a tick but I trust you're all good and training well. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Hi Ollie good to see you back.Any other news...

Useful knowledge Trivia

Getting back into the hard training Np

Hope you're back running steadily soon Stewart

Yeah work can get in the way Tek

FionaC "just an easy 13miles"!image

Hope the Fling training goes to plan and reaps rewards Stuart

Still on the bench here after chest infection but hoping to get back to work tomorrow. No running, swimming to report
  • OH - Hope you're recovering from the chest infection

Ollie - Good to hear the streak is still going, shame training isn't going to plan though!

tricia - Yeah, that last section will definitely include a lot of walking! I hope to get out for some running on the course at some point once I've built my long runs up.

NP - Good 16 and nearly 70 miles isn't bad!image Well done on the swim and short run

Stewart - I know what you mean, tempo pace is about 50/50 for me. Sometimes there's no reaction, other times there is. Any faster and it definitely hurts the next day though. 

Tek - Well done on the 6 milesimage

-----------

8 done yesterday, felt awful. 5 or 6 easy is todays plan.

• Welcome back, Ollie, you were missed!

NP, oof, not sure how you manage all those miles. Enjoy your cutback week.

Stuart, well done on slogging through those 8 miles - hope you get back to normal soon.

Fiona, I guess the calf is not much of an issue if you can run 13 miles! Take it easy though, eh?

Tek, well done on the 6.5. Taxes, bleh!

----

I took a full day's rest yesterday and was intending to run today but apparently pollution levels are off the charts in London so I decided against it. Shame as it's actually quite nice out. I did go to yoga, which is 5 minutes down the road, and I could tell the air wasn't nice. Forecast says it's a bit better tomorrow. I guess the extra day's rest won't hurt after the weekend I had.

• NP, well done with the long run and great totals for the week, enjoy the recovery week and the 5 mile race at the weekend

Ollie, welcome back and well done keeping the streak going, 

OH, hope the chest infection clears up and you're off the bench soon

---------------

Just the gym in the end, quite a hard legs session and 4 virtual miles on the cross trainer, the glutes and thighs are feeling it this morning!