2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Evening. image

Teknik: Nice jogging, hope the long run went well today.
    Sub17: Great parkrunning as per usual.
    Cal: Happy birthday to your parkrun. image  Pity about the crowded start/slips, though your ankle sounds resilient, well done.
    Tricia: Good going on the treadmill run with strides, hopefully the weather cheers up for your long run.
    SM6: Yep, parkrun was good thanks, a tad swampy but good fun.  Nice running throughout the week, hope you 5-6 mile run went alright.

- - - - - - - - - - - 

9.1 miles including parkrun (20:38 for 6th place).  Wet and muddy at parts, and I'm still hoping to get my parkrun time down further, but I think I'm on the right track at the moment.

Will start reintroducing some much needed speedwork soon.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • That's a good time for a muddy parkrun, Ollie.

Long run with the club today. Walked a couple of miles to meet up at Clapham Junction, then ran from there to Battersea Park to pick up some others and have the briefing. I think that bit was a bit over a mile - my Garmin got very confused going under a bridge and thought I'd run a 7 minute mile (I have never run a 7 minute mile - 8 minutes is me going at vomiting speed) so I deleted that bit and started again once we left Battersea.

The idea was to jog to Hyde Park (along the river, via Parliament Square, Buck House and Hyde Park Corner), then do a circuit and a bit of the park at MP. However, once again I found myself without any peers, speed-wise, so whilst I did attempt to keep pace with a group of slightly faster ladies, that part of the run was under 10 minute miles (my MP is meant to be 10:15 or thereabouts).

They sped up once they got to Hyde Park so I did my own thing. I still stuck under 10s, and decided I'd just head home from there. Turns out I took a completely different route than the one intended but I ran into a couple of the girls once I reached the vicinity of Battersea Park and followed them back to Clapham Junction.

Not including the mile and a bit before Battersea, the run was 13:35 miles, which I did in a little under 2:15 (bear in mind my first ever half marathon was 2:18!). The homeward miles were a bit slower, but they were supposed to be (and I wasn't quite sure where I was going at that point, as, despite being a Londoner, Chelsea is not a part of London that is familiar to me).

I'm happy with my effort, but I'm debating whether I should join the 20 miler next weekend since, if I'm going to be running alone at my own pace, I may as well do it to and from my front door, and a bit earlier so I can get back sooner. And avoid paying for a train home, too.

• Great long run, Cal- I grew up in south London, and although I could navigate from battersea park to clapham Junc, and maybe even from there across the river, I'd be totally lost trying to get to Hyde park! I lived in wandsworth common, and went to school in Victoria, so had to occaisionaly walk the whole or part way when tube/ train/ bus strikes/ IRA attacks/ wrong sort of leaves  etc paralysed the public transprt network.

On call again today, and apart from walking to to the top of the 13-storey hospital using the stairs, instead of the lifts, it's a rest day ( the lifts are in the wrong places, so the stair well is more convenient) .

Planning about 12 miles on the WHW tomorrow afternoon after a meeting in the morning. Just hope I have anough daylight to get it done.

• Not far from me, then - I'm in Balham.

Enjoy your rest!

• Tricia - 13 flights of stairs doesn't sound like a rest to me!image

Cal - Well done on the 14 or so milesimage It's great when you can look back on a training run and realise it's faster than you used to race, isn't it!?image

Ollie - Still a good parkrun in the mud, nice total for the day tooimage

---------

Just under 6 last night, and 10 today. Felt sore and lethargic today so only done 10. I'll aim for 16+ tomorrow.

• Another 5k for me today, legs feeling as if they have never run before. However hopefully keep ticking over until stone is removed on 9 February. Then reassess if Loch Katrine is still a goer ...

• OH- are you going for open removal now?- that'll screw up LK, I suspect. Well done on plugging on regardless.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH well done, hope all goes well for you. image Very hardy getting out in the meantime.

Stuart i'm not surprised you're tired. 6 at night then 10 the next day is hard going. Good luck for tomorrow! image 

Tricia well done on the stair cross training! Fingers crossed you get away in time but its nice to see the days stretching image

Cal well done on the long run, thats a great pace! image I think I would be the same as you with the 20, it would be different if the group always stayed together.

Nice park run yesterday Ollie, a very decent time on a muddy course! image

Hope the long run went well today Teknik. image

Sub17 well done on the fast park run! image

I went down to the park run yesterday and did a 2 mile warm up then went onto the course but the calf wasn't happy with the corners/mud/sliding around so came home and did a 5k on the treadmill at 14.2k/hr. Not the same but didn't want to risk it. Today was a lovely 2 hours in the sun. image Freezing conditions and even the canal was frozen at the sealocks but a stunning day. 15 miles done but had to stop and stretch the calf out a couple of times but it should settle. 

F

• Evening. image

Cal: Great long run today, nice one.
    Tricia: Nice cross training via 13 flights of stairs, hope tomorrow's long run goes well.
    SM6: Nice going on yesterday's 6 miler, and today's 10 miler; hope tomorrow's 16 miles go well.
    OH: Great going doing the 5k, nice to hear you're keeping the running up.
    Fiona: Nice going on the 15 miles today, sounds like a nice canal run.

- - - - - - - - - - -

3 miles today, hoping to do a longer run (20+ miles) on Tuesday.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • That's me into the ballot for a 40miler in august. So I'm doing a race of marathon or greater in march, april, may, july, august, and september, if I get all th eplaces.

In June I'm volunteering at the WHW race, just so I don't get withdrawal symptoms.

I think I must be a bit mad!

• Well done on your 15, Fiona. Glad the calf isn't too bad at this point.

Tricia - yeah. just a bit. image

Ollie, good luck with the 20.

Forums are down soon, so see you on the other side. (Rest day for me tomorrow anyway).

• Ureteroscopic fragmentation and removal Tricia, so hopefully quick turnaround unless I end up with another stent. Els still doing Loch Katrine so I'll likely be there whatever.

• Tri club swim last night, working on kicking which I am rubbish at, I kick from the knees not the hip, lots to work on!

Gym and body balance tonight.

• I ran 33 miles last week including 17:18 in my Park Run to take my yearly mileage tally to 170 miles. I held on in my Park Run to claim a first place finish by 5 seconds.
  • Well we are here in the brave new Runners World. Can't say I like it.

Pushed myself around 10 miles today, the first time in double digits for about a month.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Anyone worked out how to save the thread as a favourite?
  • Don't think you can Tek. Definitely a
  • Thumbs down (didn't accept iPad icon)
  • No favourite-Just bookmark it by clicking the star. Page keeps crashing, though. Little bit of tready running this morning as a recovery after the 20 miler at the weekend. 
  • Just yoga for me today. I don't feel too bad after yesterday's 20. The Epsom Salts must be doing their job. However, I do have a nasty bit of chafing. I've had a lot of issues with chafing in the inner groin area but a good smear of Vaseline seems to do the trick. However, I was totally unprepared for chafing in the underboob area! It's not like it was a new sports bra or anything either - I was using one I'd worn many times without issue. Guess I'm going to have to lube my boobs now too. :#
  • Ticking along with gym work, some swimming and biking on the turbo, managed a short treadmill tester tonight before the club swim, the Achilles was a little tight but loosened off after a minute or so, hopefully no reaction tomorrow.

Well done all some impressive training going on and I can't say I am a fan of the new forum, time will tell if it will be a success.    
  • Just an easy 4 this morning. Legs felt quite tired but not too bad considering the 20 they'd covered on Sunday.
  • Lots of posts gone missing "Runners World HATE the new forums and was the only reason I still buy the magazine, might have to ditch that now"

SUB17 well done on the training and Parkrun.
    OH great running going up in the milage.
    Tricilatte well done on the treadmill run after the LSR at the weekend.
    Cal well done on the LSR and yoga plus the 4 easy this morning, looking for volunteers to lube ;) 
    Sundays long run was 17 miles and 71miles for the week. Yesterday was 70x25m front crawl and 7.5miles steady and this mornings run was 6 miles easy. Up with the club tonight for some interval training, achilles a little sore after the XC on Saturday apart from that all good here. Still don't like the new look.
  • Does anyone like it? Most of the feedback I've seen is negative.
    In other news, I have just taken delivery of a new Garmin (25) which has a 10 hour battery. I liked the 10 for its simplicity, but I got another low battery notification at the end of my long run on Sunday, so it's clearly not going to last another marathon.
    Oh and I got turned down by Royal Parks again so, as I'm turning 50 this year and want to do all the stuff I've been unable to do in recent years (mostly coaster trips, since they all seemed to take place in term time while I was working at the school), I thought sod it, so I've got a charity place with Battersea Dogs & Cats Home. It's a charity I support anyway since I have a weakness for all things cute and fluffy, and it's only £350, unlike the London Marathon. So it's doable.
  • NP Shh but you don't need to buy the magazine to use the forums
  • I have just got some new toys in the post, too! New Salomon vest, and new cascadias- I originally ordered them (last year's model, so cheaper than usual) from sweatshop- they've now been trying to deliver them to a busy office floor of a hospital for 7 working days, and apparently there's no-one in! I have sent numerous emails, and eventually they said they would stop trying to deliver it, and refund the money, so I ordered the same thing fro run-4it, for £10 cheaper, and they arrived today. Of course my refund from sweatshop hasn't come through, and according to the tracker thingy, they are still trying, and failing to deliver it!- Useless- don't order anything from sweatshop!
    In other news, I'm planning a run/ commute tomorrow, ( 6 miles each way), and a hilly run to test he new shoes on thursday morning- working the weekend, so have to get the miles in before hand.
  • Evening all.

10 miles over and done with earlier today.

Have a good day.

Got myself sorted for Dickens for a good while too, should keep me occupied. :sunglasses:
    Have a good day. image
  • Did my 2x 6miles run to/ from work, bit drizzly, slow plod, no niggles from the 20 miler at the weekend. Will go for a walk/ run up the local hill tomorrow morning, then it's nose to the grindstone for the weekend on call. No decent runs possible- might get onto the tready, but can't be too far from base.
  • Cal nice that you are doing it for Battersea Dogs & Cats Home :) Hope you enjoy the new Garmin.
    OH have things changed?
    Tricialitt sounds like you enjoyed the run in the new gear hope you don't have to wait too long for the refund.
    Ollie nice running and enjoy the books.

Pyramid session with the club last night and today was 70x25m front crawl and 13 miles on the trails :)  all good here.