2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Not liking this new format  :(
    Well done on the pyramid session, swim and trail run NP.  :) I haven't bought the magazine for years!
    Tricia sounds like you have recovered well from the weekend  :)
    Love the books Ollie!  :) well done on your 10.
    Cal well done on the charity place - you'll have to post the link on here and I'm sure you'll get some sponsorship. I'm an animal lover too.  :)
    Think I last posted after my 1st aid course on Saturday. Did my long run on Sunday, 17 miles av pace 8:09mm. Included a few hills at the start. Friends up staying in the West (Kinlochewe) so I went across on Monday and climbed Slioch with them (a Munro) and loved it. Met a couple of runners on the way up but not sure I fancy running with an ice axe! The downhill totally trashed my legs but up and out at 7am the next morning with my friend for 11 miles along the Coulin Pass. Just stunning and only an hours drive from my house so I may do some long runs there in future  :)  An easy 8 miles in the woods this morning.
    F
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    On-call but stole a short pool swim after work. Stone still grumbling but only a week to go now (strike 2)
    Envious of your day in the hills, Fiona
    Love the juxtaposition of Dickens and Buffy, Ollie ;)

"Things changed" NP? 
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    OH well done on getting the 10 miler done
    Tricia nice treadie recovery run and well done on the double commute
    Cal great going on the 20 and well done on the recovery 4 yesterday
    Stewart well done on getting the cross training done
    NP great week's work and nice start to this week
    Ollie that's some serious reading to do ! Well done on the 10m
    Fiona nice hilly long run and nice 11 miler and 8m in the woods today
    ---
    Failed to get a long run done again last week.  Two short recovery runs Monday and Tuesday, then tonight was 7.75m at marathon effort with Serpentine RC - came out as 7:49mm.

• My training week so far:
    8.5 miles over 2 treadmill runs + 2km rowing machine on Monday.  
    11.5 miles over 3 treadmill runs + 5km on rowing machine on Wednesday.
    Thursday will include 10 miles over 2 treadmill runs + 2km on rowing machine.
    Park Run on Saturday will make it 30+ miles for the week.

• Morning.

Tricia: Nice going on the commute run, hope you manage to sneak something in whilst on call.
    NP: Good going on the pyramid session the other day, and the swim/13 mile trail run.
    Fiona: Had a feeling you'd like the books.  Great training as per usual.
    OH: Worse still, Bram Stoker's Dracula lies in the shelf above Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :p  Well done on the swim.
    Teknik: Yes, I think I need to stick to picture books in future. :p  Great going on the marathon paced run yesterday.
    Sub17: Sounds like a good week of training, enjoy today's 10 mile treadmill run and 2km rowing machine.

- - - - - - - - - - 

I plan on doing 8 miles with some Fartleks chucked in for good measure.

Unfortunately, my favourite emoticon, the nerd smiley 8-| did not make the transition to the new forum so shades will be replacing it.

Have a good day. B)
    Have a good day. image
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I've gotten it back (copied the image from one of my previous posts), yippee. image

Just made a signature so now I have it on hand without having to copy and paste, though the fact that the signature retroactively applies itself makes my current ramblings seem a tad confused, oh well. :)
    Have a good day. image
  • Which marathon are you doing, Teknik?

I really stuffed up my back doing yoga on Tuesday. It was my fault really. There's a position called standing head to knee which I *can* do, but always struggle with for several days after a long run due to tight glutes and hams. And well, I pushed a bit too hard and it didn't like it. It's more pelvic than spine, since it's on the right. I've done it before, too, so I know it will go away, but it's not what I need days before my first half of the year.

Yesterday I did absolutely nothing. Today I decided I should test both it, and my new Garmin (25 - I like the simplicity of the 10 but not the crappy battery life, so the 25 filled those requirements).

Yeah, it hurt but I can run with it, and it did start to ease after 3 miles. I'm going to spend some time mobilising my hips and grinding a hockey ball into my butt for the next few days and hopefully it'll be fine.

As for the Garmin, I wore both out today. There was a little variation between them for the first couple of miles but they gave the same distance and average pace at the end. I also like that the 25 records cadence, though I'm not sure how accurate that is. Anyway, I shouldn't have to worry about losing battery now. It supposedly lasts for 10 hours.
  • Forgot to say, Fiona - I posted a link to my JustGiving pace in my profile. (That's a great paced long run, btw!)
  • Fiona nice mix of training the Munro sounded nice.
    OH well done on the swim, fingers crossed for strike 2.
    Teknik don't 
    worry about the missed run but well done on the MP effort with the club.
    Sub 17 nice weeks training.
    Ollie think I prefer the shades B) hope the 8 Fartlek went well.
    Cal well done getting out and running with the new toy but the grinding a hockey ball into your butt sounds painful hope it gets sorted soon.

Two runs yesterday just over 7 miles on the trails and a nice 6 mile tempo session early evening which came in at 6:18 pace. Today is rest day so just a short swim of 30x25m front crawl.

• Hello! :)

NP - Nice couple of runs yesterday. Jealous of the tempo as that's what I had driven my tempos down to in the summer. Now I'm doing them at 7s :'(

Ollie - Sounds a good 8 miles today :)

S17 - Good mix of training this week :)

Tek - A good pace for the MP run :) , shame about not getting a LR in though!

Fiona - That sounds like a busy weekend, great long run! :)

Cal - Ooooh a new toy to play with, enjoy :) 

OH - Well done on the swim :)

------------

Can't remember when I last posted, so training so far this week:

Monday - 18 miles, slow, lumpy and had a dog jumping all over me about 16 miles in. That didn't assume me at all. Somehow it's ok for a dog to jump at a 31 year old, doubt the guy would have the same attitude if his dog had jumped on a 3 year old. Not a great run, as my right hamstring tightened up very early on, if I hadn't been so desperate for a LR I'd have canned it early.

Wednesday - Just shy of 13, again lumpy and slow.

Thursday - Easy 5 in the middle of the afternoon, when I should have been asleep.

And I'll hopefully get another short run in this afternoon.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Sub17 nice week's training and good luck tomorrow
    Ollie lol, hope the 8 went ok
    Cal hope the hips and glutes have recovered.  I'm down for Hamburg and Frankfurt this year, although the former is looking increasingly unlikely...
    NP nice double day and well done on the swim
    Stuart good week so far with an 18 and a 13 in there
    ---
    4m easy yesterday plus 5 x 50m strides, another 4m easy tonight. 
    ---

Races this weekend
    19/02/2017 Hampton Court Half   Cal Jones

Good luck Cal :)

• Stuart, at least it's done, eh? Not every run can be a good one.

NP - nice pace. That would be a flat out sprint for me.

Tek - yeah, thanks. Going to need the luck. My back issue seems a bit more serious than I thought, as in not going away as quickly as I hoped. Did some yoga today, very gingerly,  and there are definitely some positions and movements that it doesn't like at all. I really don't want to have to DNS so I'm going to do everything I can to get myself sorted but performance-wise it may not be a good one. We'll see I guess.
  • Hmmmm not sure on the new forum, I guess I'll get used to it.

So this last week I ran my first ever half in training, very proud I managed to get out as my wife and young daughter were ill over the weekend so didn't get out early, so snuck out when they fell asleep. Managed it in 2h28 so a good benchmark of where I am. Managed 2 quick 5k's as well so happy this week.

Got another 13 miles planned for Sunday and debating of signing up for my local half, its in 3 weeks but not sure if I can afford it or what ill gain from racing it though.

Overall I'm now loving running and hate the days when I don't get out. It has helped me lose 1.5 stone already this year, just need to nail my diet down now for even more improvements, but love chocolate too much :p
  • Tek - Well done on the pair of 4s

Cal - Hope the back recovers enough to allow you to at least run your race!

Rocco - Nice work, and a stone and a half weight loss already is some going! :)

------------
    5 slow miles done this afternoon. Longer run tomorrow.

Had a chuckle seeing the entry list for the XC next weekend. 900 in the mens race, so hopefully it stays dry this week as it'll be an utter mudfest with so many runners. Especially as they'd be about 1000 running the races before us. I'm fully expecting to be lapped by the fast guys :(

Interesting that the womens race has less than half the number of entries. I wonder if thats anything to do with men and women both running 10k this year, instead of 12 for us, and 8 for the women. 
  • Bleurgh- lurgy seems to be appearing- and I've a weekend on call, so I'm confined to the gym anyway. Don't think I'll be doing mush- well done everyone else!
  • Rocco - it's not mandatory but running a half before your marathon will help you practise in a race situation, so you can use your marathon kit, get used to the portaloo queues and bag storage, pre-race jitters and just generally racing with other people. It's also a good sharpener.

Stuart - yikes, 900?!! That's an enormous field for XC!
    Feel better soon, Tricia.
  • Cal - Aye, well it's our National XC champs but 900 does seem nuts.  2 of the Edinburgh clubs have 50+ runners each in the mens race

Tricia - Hope you're feeling better soon

------------
    10 miles with XC session this morning. Wasn't pretty, or fast.
  • Short runs and a sea swim today :-)
  • If anyone is interested in trying to give a bit of constructive feedback to RW
    https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/comment/11315836
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the link OH. I shall add my constructive feedback as this format is not at all user friendly! Well done on the running and sea swims.
    Stuart the XC session sounds suitably tough. A good strength workout as well as running!! :) Thats a good weeks training again, some big miles. A XC race of 900 sounds like mayhem. I think what would put me off entering is nothing to do with distance but the size of the field - too intimidating! So different from a road race.
    Tricia I hope the lurgy hasn't worsened. 
    Cal how is the back today? Good luck if you make it to the start line!  :) Thanks for the link  :)
    Rocco well done on the weight loss - thats a lot to lose! It sounds like the training is going well. What half are you thinking about?
    Teknik more good running and a nice MP session  :) Hope all goes to plan for Hamburg. 
    Love the signature Ollie!  :)
    NP well done on the doubles and nice park run yesterday :)  - were there problems with people blocking the path?
    Sub17 hope your park run went well.
    Just back in from a short easy run. Did my long run yesterday with 3 blocks of MP in it and it was suitably tough!  :/  Didn't feel too great from the start and had a few stops to stretch out the ankle (very niggly after the hill walk) but got it done. 17 miles in total. MP sections were all over the place - 7:10, 7:16 and 7:06 (mainly downhill). So just over 50 miles for the week plus about 12 of hill walking  :)
    F
  • So, Sunday, date of the Hampton Court half. And I almost spent it sat on my arse at home. Almost...
    Marshalled at parkrun yesterday and the last group of people were strolling around without a care in the world (I mean, yes, some people do walk a bit of it, but it's not parkwalk, is it?) so standing for an hour really played havoc on my back. It hurt to walk, never mind run. After that, I thought, there's no way.

But a part of me hoped. So I set about foam rolling, used my TENS, took painkillers, stretched. At 1pm I decided to go for a stress test so I went out for a trip around the block, did a few drills, jogged a bit and tried a few strides. OK, so far so good.

Ate, napped, then did it again at 6pm. Still OK, sort of.

Decided to get my running stuff ready and hoped for a decent night's sleep.
    Woke up, felt better. Not entirely better, but enough to risk it.

Walked the couple of miles to Clapham Junction to warm myself up (jogged a bit because I always underestimate the time it takes to walk and end up having to run from Wandsworth Common...silly me). Met club mates at the station and travelled to Thames Ditton. Stuck my TENS on for a bit, warmed up, then went to the start.

I was a little naughty and put myself in the 1:50 pen because, whilst I didn't think a PB was on the cards with my back, there were too many people in the 2:00 pen. Then the race got going and I started running. It wasn't too bad. My back actually caused me less discomfort than my soleus (soleii?) which were tight after the strides yesterday. Got the old pins and needles in my left foot again and that last from 4.5 to 6.5 - very annoying. However, my splits were good. Dare I dream that a PB was even possible?

I got through 10 miles in under 1:30 (actually a PB for that distance, unofficially) but I was starting to tire a bit. But I knew it was all in my head so I pushed on. 11 miles was slightly slow, but 12 was better, although I actually threw up in my mouth a bit and had to apologise to the people around me when I spat it out.

Then we got close to the finish and I put the hammer down. Breathing got loud, for sure. Previous PB was 1:58:02. I went through the finish in 1:57.something, nearly vomited again but by god I was happy. Knackered, but happy. My official chip time was 1:57:37 - a new PB!

So, time for an Epsom Salts bath followed by a baked potato. Massage tomorrow. And then next weekend I have it all to do again at Thorpe Park.
  • That's fantastic Cal!   :) Well done, that's great running! Hope you've had more than a baked potato!!  :D
  • I skipped my Park Run on Saturday. I had sore hamstrings and lower back from running 30 miles and rowing 20km last week.

I cycled 35 miles today and I will fit in another 30+ mile cycle on Wednesday. 

I have ran 200 miles for the year,  only 800 miles to go to run 1000 miles for the year. I will need to do more cycling and work towards cycling 3000 miles for the year.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Rocco well done on the long run - great going with the weight loss too
    Stuart nice XC session
    Tricia hope you're over the lurgy quickly
    OH well done on the short runs and sea swim
    Fiona nice LR with some MP and well done on the week's mileage
    Cal congrats on the PB !!!  Well done for toughing it out :D
    Sub17 well done on the bike ride - hope you're over the niggles
    ---
    Saturday was an easy 5m including some short strides; I got up late again on Sunday, so I had to split the long run - 11m in the morning then another 4m in the evening.  44m for the week. 
  • SM6 You will regain the speed, your milage is growing and the speed will come back with the milage. Hope you enjoyed the XC.
    Rocco Welcome and well done on the running and weight loss.
    OH Well done on the short run and swim, managed a paddle yesterday after my long run and could only manage up to my knees in the sea and only for a couple of minutes as it was so cold.....(total wimp)
    Fiona great long run with some good MP miles in there and a great total for the week, fingers crossed the ankle is just a niggle. As for the Park run yep someone complained, apparently a new runner who also complained last week when I wasn't running....it seems this person has a problem with been lapped....
    Cal Great race report and thankfully the back held out and hopefully is on the mend. Well done on the PB and more to come :D
    Sub 17 Nice mix of training.
    Teknik Well done for getting out twice on Sunday and getting the miles in and a nice total for the week.

I wasn't sure what to do on Saturday as on Friday my back felt tight after my swim so I did a few stretches and got the foam roller out as normal at 9pm. The back was ok Saturday morning so I headed off to the Parkrun and ran 17:40 which wasn't as fast as the previous week but after the tempo run on Thursday and the milage for the week I was happy with that. The within 5 minutes my mood went from good to being annoyed. First of all the run director approached me and said " why didn't you let ......... win it was his 100th Park run"  this person came in 3rd and ran a PB so why should I have to deliberately slow down for him? Then after doing a cool down lap the run director informed me that someone had complained about me running past them. I shout keep left/right please so I can pass on the footpath and not the wet mud or grass at the side as its very slippy. This same person has just started running and complained last week as well......
    Yesterday was the club trip up the North Coast for our long run so 21miles bagged and some nice hills brought the week to end on 73 miles for the week. Will take a recovery week this week and cut the miles back a little.
  • Skipped parkrun, Sub-17? How unlike you! :smiley:
    Good mileage, Teknik. Up earlier next weekend, then?

Rest day for me, and a massage. Got my back adjusted (the pros of having a masseur who is also an osteopath) and stuff worked on. The inner ankle niggle seems to be down to a combo of overly tight tib anterior and soleus so he recommended grinding a hockey ball into it regularly. Fun stuff. Nothing serious wrong with me, though, so that's good news.
  • 13.3 miles today, very slowly battling against 40 mph wind and grumbling kidney stone. The sun shone through most of it however which was more than could be said for our brief sea swim (sun disappeared and driven hail began)
  • NP you just have to man up to the initial cold water. Once you're through it, an enjoyable swim may follow. However when you get cold a second time, then it it time to get out!
  • Strike 2 for stone removal on Thursday... 
  • G'day all.
    Hope everybody is well. :)

Bought myself a bag so can start fitting in some longer ~10 mile runs to work in the mornings via a very long detour.

For today though, it's just been a couple of miles.
    Have a good day. image