2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Ollie - what bag did you get? Do you have to carry much in to work?

I am currently wearing Brooks Glycerin 13's and they need replacing, is there any shoe very similar? What are the GTS like for fit? I have short and wide feet so struggle with a lot of shoes. 
  • Needed a couple of days off after the half but ventured out for a sluggish 4 miles today. Still a lot of fatigue in the legs. Hopefully I can shake that off by the weekend.

Rocco - have you tried New Balance? They do wide fittings.
  • OH Half marathon and swim, i'm a true wimp and hate the cold. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
    Ollie Keeping the streak going nice enjoy the run to and from work.

Not sure if its Strava thats killing off the forums or the new look.......
    Yesterday was two runs one of 4.5 miles on the trails and 7hen 7 miles with the club with 6x800m in the middle. Both runs done in a strong wind and rain.... Today was a MLR of 10 miles on the trails. 
  • 1k pool swim today. Still quite coarse out but improved on this morning
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    OH good luck for today
    NP nice double and well done on the trail 10m
    Cal well done on getting out for the recovery 4m
    Rocco have you tried the Brooks Ghosts - very wide and comfortable
    ---
    Broke my streak and had a lazy Monday; Tuesday was a 3m recovery bimble; last night was 13m with 12.5m at MP with the club - a real shock to the system but I'm glad I stuck with the group :smile:
  • On ward and clerked in... 
    Nice half, Tek
  • All done, home in the morning :-)
  • Good to hear that, OH, hope you recover well. I am totally lurgified, and no running for 4 days now. GRrrrrrrrr.
  • Morning. :)

Tried posting earlier to no avail, hope everybody's training is going well, I promise I'll reply individually one day soon... But today is not that day.

Rocco: It was just a £10 bag from Decathlon.  It's called newfeel, has 2 large pockets, and a couple of smaller pockets dotted about.  The only things I need to carry with me are a change of clothes and my dinner, so not too much.

- - - - - - - - - -

Gonna set off on a 6 mile run in a tick to complete day 434, should be good.

S'laters.
    Have a good day. image
  • Tek - great work, probably just what you needed.
    Ollie - did you venture out in Doris yesterday?
    OH - hope it goes well!
    Tricia - feel better soon eh?

I sensibly stayed indoors yesterday (well, I did drag my washing down to the launderette and going by the wind then, was quite glad I'd decided not to run). Unfortunately Doris took out my Sky dish so I have no TV and no engineer until Wednesday 1st. I wouldn't mind so much but the on demand service won't work unless there's a signal, due to some sort of encryption thing to prevent people getting Sky for free. Bah.

Anyway, nice and sunny today (bit of cold wind but nothing like yesterday). The first four miles felt pretty dreadful - still a lot of fatigue in the old legs - and I thought about doing the minimum 4. But when the turning came where I either go home or do another lap of the common, I chose to carry on. Good thing too as my legs had perked up a bit and the last two miles were 10:16 (a second shy of MP) and 9:58. I did five lots of strides after that to bring the total to 6.3 miles.

I haven't planned on running tomorrow (marshalling at parkrun) but may do a few strides as they certainly didn't hurt last weekend.

Thorpe Park on Sunday - I hope the storm hasn't fecked up the railways.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    OH good news :)
    Tricia hope you shake the lurgy quickly 
    Ollie well done on the continued run streak
    Cal well done on the 6.3m - good luck for Sunday !
    ---
    Just a couple of 4 milers for me, yesterday in the gale, today a lot calmer weather. :)

Weekend Races
    25/02/2017 Scottish XC Champs (10k) Stuart Martin
    26/02/2017 Thorpe Park Half               Cal Jones
    Good luck guys!
  • Good luck to all racers at the weekend.
    OH great that all went well and you're home  :)
    Cal that's a pain about the dish.  :/
    Teknik well done getting out in the gale - think I would have been on the treadmill!  :)
    That's some streak Ollie - well done! 
    Tricia hope you feel better soon.
    NP well done getting out, more good training. Really counting down now  :) I always think that at 8 weeks to go time flies past. Looking forward to catching up with you and others on here  :)
    Intervals and an easy turbo on Monday followed by an easy run and tough club turbo on Tuesday. A couple more easy runs done but totally drenched yesterday in the snow - the sort that melts as soon as it hits you. Rest day today and hope for a couple of decent runs at the weekend  :)
    F
  • Home this morning.  1000m done in pool since (which was beneficial)
    Hope all goes well for you racers, Stuart and Cal
  • Hello again  :)

OH - How are you feeling after stone removal?

Cal - Awesome run last week  :) Good luck for this Sunday :)

Fiona - Good week of training :)

Tek - Well done on the couple of 4s :) Nice MP run earlier in the week too!

Ollie - That's a fair old streak now! :)

NP - Well done on the reps with the club, and 10 miles  :)

--------------

SO training this week...

Monday - felt stiff tired and sore so canned LR. Went out for 21, done 6...
    Tuesday - 8 miles with 3x1.9k reps. It was utterly wild out there, and pace wasn't good. 45s/mile slower than this time last year :| Effort was definitely lower right enough.
    Wednesday - 13 miles @ 9:15s. Absolutely horrible run, if I was out myself I'd have probably done 3 but was out with a mate so complained the whole 2 hours but done it at least. I just didn't feel good, nothing to do with the weather... :(
    Thursday - 6 @ 9:20s. That felt much better

Going to go out for 4-6 miles shortly. XC tomorrow is going to be grim. I think it has just started raining, and is meant to continue until midday or so. And with a total of 2300 runners signed up for the races tomorrow it'll be a mudbath by the time we get going :(
  • Good luck tomorrow, Stuart. Sorry you're having a bad week - hopefully it at least ends well.
    Fiona - glad we didn't have snow down here. Just lots of wind. I was surprised not to see any downed trees on the common today!
  • Just been looking in horror at the picture updates of the conditions of the XC course. Wonder if I can fit in a swimming lesson before 10 to 3... The start/finish area is a lake, and it's still raining!!

Easy 4 miles ran last night.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Fiona nice week's training. Snow !! Hope the weekend runs go well
    OH well done on the pool swim
    Stuart well done for getting out when you're not feeling up to it.  XC sounds really grim !!
    ---
    16.5m today - 12.5m this morning including 7m with the club (yes, I got up in time); then an easy 4m after lunch :)
  • 5.6 miles "rehab" run and 10 minute sea swim so getting there ...
    sounds, err, "interesting", Stuart
    nice long double Tek
  • OH - Well done on the swim and run double :)

Tek - Good double today too :)

---------

DNF'd XC after about 1.7 miles. The pictures didn't do justice as to how bad the course was. I could have finished but it wasn't fun, so didn't. 

Apparently Falkirk Council threatened to cancel the event this morning as they were worried about damage to the park. Not sure how true that is, but they'll not be impressed with the state of the place now...
  • I only  ran 12 miles for the week with 9 miles on treadmill on Wednesday.  I ran my Park Run today in 17:24 and first place again.

• Hello Peeps :)

OH good to hear you're home after your operation, recover well I am sure you'll be fighting fit soon enough.

SM6, sounds like flippers and a snorkel might be required today, good luck and enjoy the xc.

Cal Good luck tommorrow

Tek well done with the double run today and running in the gales earlier in the week.

NP, well done with the runs up on the trail, the faster stuff with the club and 10 miler, the training is going well.

Fiona, mixing it up well, won't be long and you'll be checking the long range forecast and going through the taper madness, personally I would take running out in the wind and rain to being on the treadie, I can't stand it and it feels like hard work!   

Ollie an awesome streak, 

Tricia, I hope you're feeling better soon and can get out for a run.

-----------

Not much to report, a few miles on the treadie, 2 miles along the canal this afternoon, and a couple of sessions in the gym and pool, I have taped up the Achilles to try and off-load it to see if it helps??? 
  • XC sounds "interesting", SM6. Well done on the early rehab, OH- don't overdo it!.
    I'm stuck on the sofa watching cat videos and coughing. Might try some walking tomorrow, if the weather is reasonable, but nowhere near running yet- lungs feel very scratchy.
  • I assume you'll not be getting out for that then Tricia! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Stewart - Well done on the cross training. Hope you can get something going with the achilles.

S17 - Well done on the parkrun win

---------
    Went out for 20 this morning, done 9. Horrible conditions. Park is utterly destroyed from XC yesterday.

One thing that I had forgot from yesterday was just how crazy it was seeing guys who would win local road races, and just how far down they field they were. You had sub 33 minute 10k guys outside the top 100, but then again XC and road running are different games.
  • Stuart, probably a good decision not to finish if it wasn't fun. Sounds a bit of a nightmare!

Thorpe Park today. Good race for a new race - everything seemed to go smoothly enough. I wasn't expecting to replicate last weekend but I said that about Richmond and Ealing last year, when I went sub-2 at Richmond and then knocked another 40 seconds off the following weekend at Ealing.

Well, I did it again. My new PB is 1:57.01! I was feeling it towards the end, but then I went through the first 10K in a time that would have been a PB less than a year ago.

Incidentally, it was not a flat race! Much of it was fairly flat (a few mild gradients) but there was a big, nasty, steep hill just after mile 4 and then a long old drag at mile 9. They did slow me down a bit but I'd done enough trips around hilly Brockwell Park during marathon training that I coped pretty well.

My back grumbled a bit at one point but was otherwise fine, and my left foot did not go to sleep this time, which I'm glad about as it's a real annoyance.

Right, I need to go immerse myself in a hot Epsom Salts bath while my baked potato cooks.
  • OH glad you're on the mend and the operation went ok, nice swimming and running.
    Teknik some nice running with the MP run and the 16.5 miles yesterday.
    Tricialitt hope you are starting to recover from the flu.
    Ollie well done on the running streak.
    Cal sorry to hear about your tv not long to Wednesday, our power was out for a few hours on Thursday. Well done for keeping going on your run and well done on another PB hope you enjoyed the well deserved soak. :)
    Fiona a great mix of training as always, yep 8 week and the count down is on looking forward to tea and cake in the Park.
    SM6 Keep plugging away mate sounds like the mojo just isn't there at the moment, XC and road racing are totally different. I also think the weather of late isn't helping the situation.
    SC hope the taping works for the Achilles and you can start to up the miles again.

SM6 isn't alone in the drop of speed and mojo, this week has been a cut back week and I have felt rubbish all week when I was hoping that the legs would start to feel great. Friday was a rest day swim and Yesterday was the Parkrun. I managed 1st place but slowed right down on the 2nd and 3rd lap as I knew I had it in the bag and thats not me. Todays long run was over 20.6 miles and I can't remember getting so wet and cold the paths that we normally run on where like streams. Roll on some warm weather.
  • NP, training in these conditions is really hard on the body I am not surprised you're all feeling a bit sluggish, no doubt you will be flying come April, 

SM6, sorry to hear you DNF'd at the xc, but by the sounds of it is was the right decision, well done getting a run in today, 9 miles is better than nowt.

Cal, Congratulations on yet another PB, you're running really well :)

Tricia, I hope you were feeling well enough for a walk today

-------------

Another two miles today on the drier side of the canal this morning, I felt like doing more but didn't want to push my luck.
  • 4 recovery today. Unlike last week, when I was so sore I could barely get down the stairs, I actually felt OK today. Not sure why considering Thorpe had a couple of nasty hills (for the record, my kit and post-race routine were the same in both instances, and my sleep was crap last night so I can't put it down to better sleep either). But hey, you take advantage where you can, so I decided to have a little run. Very slow as legs were tired, but I got it done. Will do yoga later - I've had a week off from it to let my back settle so it should be, um, interesting.
  • Sensible head on today. Not ready for MLR yet (last chance) so looking like supportive role at LK. Swimming (pool or sea seems to be helpful)

Sorry about the XC, SM6
    Hope mojo returns for you and NP 

I'm listening Tricia
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    OH well done on the swimming, hope the recovery is swift
    Stuart sorry to hear about the XC and the long run - mojo will return !
    Cal another PB !!! Well done, great effort :) Nice recovery run, too.
    NP congrats on the parkrun win, and nice 20 miler bagged - hope conditions improve soon for you
    Stewart nice canal runs
    Tricia get well soon
    Sub17 congrats on another win
    ---
    4m recovery run Sunday to get to 44m for the week.  Today was an easy 5m  :)

• Tek - Well done on the 5 today and the 44 miles last week :)

OH - Well done on the swimming :) , shame about LK though

Cal - Fantastic stuff, you're in great shape at the moment!  :)

Stewart - Sensible on not pushing things :)

NP - Still a good time at parkrun even if you backed off a bit over the last 2 miles. Well done on toughing out the long run yesterday! :)

----------

Got my arse in gear this afternoon and done yesterdays long run. 21 miles out to Lenzie along the canal, then got the train home. Not a great run, but happy enough just to have it done.