Rome Half Marathon 2017

Myself & my girlfriend are both doing Rome half marathon in March 2017, but we are having a bit of difficulty - partly the language barrier on the website & also there are so many different types of forms tio fill in. Has anyone else registered or done this previusly who maybe able to help / give advice?

They are asking us to get a doctors certificate, but I have read online that this could cost around £150...or am i being mislead by some website which is untrue?

I am a member of Welsh Athletics, but my Girlfriend isnt. So does this mean I am covered by IAAF? If so, I dont need a certificate, but she will - unless i register her for welsh athletics also?

Any feedback would be appreciated? Thanks

Comments

• I don´t know about this specific race but I have done the Rome Marathon in 2014 and have signed up for the Milano Marathon this spring. It is correct that you either need a medical certificate OR a membership in a club connected to your national athletics federation to race longer than 20 km in Italy.

If the Welsh Athletics is a member of the IAAF you should be fine by providing a copy of your membership card when signing up for the race. But your girlfriend will need to either become a member of a club or get a medical certificate signed and stamped by a doctor. I would recommend her to join a club as this is usually cheaper and easier.

Also,expect the registration and verification progress to be slow after signing up. The organizers usually manually check all documents and this can take weeks.

• Morgz...a couple of us had trouble uploading a copy of my England Athletics Registration Card (which means I do not have to provide a GP letter) on their website so in the end I just emailed a photo to them.  About a month or so later I did get a response saying that my registration was complete.

Stockholm...I have been told by a runner who has run this event before to take a pair of trail shoes as well as road shoes and to choose the trail shoes if the cobbles are wet (about 10k of the race is over cobbles).  Would this be your advice too?

• Wyn: Which race are you refering to? As the thread is about the Rome half I suppose it´s my experience of the Rome Marathon you´re asking for? It was actually rainy the year I run but there´s definitely no need to wear trail shoes. It is a proper city marathon and the cobbles were wet but I didn´t found them slippery at all. I wore a pair of Nike Vomero and that is a neutral road shoe with a standard outsole.

• Ah yes, my mistake Stockholm Syndrome I was asking about the Rome Marathon.  That is helpful advice, didn't fancy running in trail shoes and am reassured thank you.

• Hi Morgs7,

I would like to ask have you managed to sort out your girlfriends medical certificate yet or has she registered with your club? I am having the same trouble finalising my place as I am non-affiliated and my GP won't sign off the form due to the excessive testing they require! I then enquired for private tests and all together it would cost me hundreds of pounds which is not feasible.

Can you let me know if she has managed to secure her place? Clock is ticking and I will be pretty devastated if I cannot get any medical evidence to them which they accept in time to go!

Thanks,

Stacey

• I have had the same problems with the Milan marathon. There is the option of having the tests done in Milan itself for 59 euros which is fairly reasonable compared to the prices quoted in the UK! My GP also refuses to sign the form owing to all the testing required.