Bike stuff / fitting questions

I'm looking to get some aero bars fitted onto my bike.  I have no idea where to start.  I know I will need to have a bike fit to accommodate somewhere in between standard bars and using the aero bars.  I will not be on the aero bars all the time for long distance.  Can anyone a) recommend some bars, b) recommend a shop/person that knows their stuff in the Guildford or Surrey area?  Getting frustrated at my indecisiveness, as I just don't know what I'm doing.

Comments

• Depends how serious you are. In the past I've just slapped tri bars on the road bike and they were OK.

If you're not going to be on the bars for all of the time then you're doing it wrong anyway - the idea is that they're comfy for pretty much all of the ride.

As to bars - Token do some cheap ones. It's not the bars so much as the position it puts you in - narrowing you in the air.
  • Thanks Cougie.  I would hope to be on the bars for 70% of the time, but not sure I could be in that same position for around 6 hours.  Maybe I will find it comfortable though, so who knows.  Not a serious tiafleet, but like doing the endurance stuff. Hoping that by going aero (and of course with training) I will improve my bike times. 

• When you say you want a bike fit to accommodate somewhere between standard and aero bars what do you mean?  That sounds like it would just leave you in a less-than-ideal position all of the time.  Best to get the bike fit for a road bike, the fitter should also be able to advise on the best position for elbow pads and the length of aero bars as well.  The aero bars will likely be higher than you'd have on a fitted TT bike, but that's one of the compromises with using add-on bars.  That said, the higher position will be more comfortable and easier to get used to for longer periods.

Not Guildford, but I had a fit done at Pearsons in Sutton and they know their stuff. 

Aero bars come in all sorts of pads, straight bars vs curved bars etc.  I'd suggest finding something cheap on ebay to try out and give you a better idea of what suits you.  I found out the hard way that I need a curved aero bar to avoid very sore wrists after 60 miles or so.

• That's helpful Cheerful Dave.  I've had a proper bike fit for my road bike, so looks like I just need to experiment with some bars and will look on ebay and in the sales.  Being clueless, I thought I might need another bike fit to accommodate somewhere between the 2 positions.

• Yes, leave the road bike position as it is, if it fits properly.  Unless you're racing on closed roads it's not easy to spend a lot of time on the aero bars in any case, you're too far away from the brakes if there's any traffic about, or you're riding in a bunch.  The best way to replicate using them in a longer race is on a turbo trainer, and even then it'll take a few goes to get used to riding in that position.

• Thanks again.  Was planning to get them soon so that my body can get used to the aero position on the turbo.  Off to look for some bargains.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I haven't had one done here (I lived in London when I had mine done at Sigma Sports) but Cycleworks in Guildford is great.  Simon, who part owns it, used to be a semi pro cyclist so knows his stuff.

• You're close enough to London that it's got to be Rich at Freespeed. There is no one else in the south east who compares, and very few in the rest of the country.

http://www.freespeed.co.uk/

• Thanks everyone.  I have contacted Freespeed with a few questions.

• I use ones added to a properly fitted road bike. In normal road position, it is less than perfect on the aerobars. However, by fitting a dual purpose saddle (one with softy stuff on the bit at the front that goes between NQB and NQA), I can move forward about 4-5 inches and get a decent aero position with right angles in the right places (elbows, shoulders) which enables me to turn one gear higher for the same effort. Still get a sore arse after about half an hour but it does work.