From support Shoes to Neutral

I have been running in support shoes for years after being recommended these at a gait analysis. Until my latest pair (Mizuno inspire 12, always worn Mizuno) I was happy in these. But lately have been getting pain in the arch of one foot and niggly back pain on same side, todat noticed a niggle also in my knee on that side

I also notice I am now tending to Forefoot strike rather than Heel (this is shown by wear of shoes as well as visually) and I am wondering if my gait may have changed and this could be the problem ? Anyone else experience anything similar ?

Comments

• Not quite similar. I ran in neutral cushioned shoes (Wave Riders - no real problems) but did gait analysis and recommended support (Wave Inspire actually). Tried them but suffered problems (foot and calf and knee) - think I was fighting the anti pronation almost. Went back to neutral and cushioned and all ok. Since then gradually transitioned to natural - slowly, changed stride/gait, once a week short runs in 5 fingers, etc - over a year or so - but feel well worth it.

(Assume you could get gait checked again - but (not my advice just a pet view) beware shoes to match your gait rather than an opportunity to train and improve the gait)

• I ran in support then changed to neutral. I asked my physio who is a professional running physio (works for team gb athletics) he told me the shoes make no difference hence the change.

the biggest changing factor to my knee troubles was learning to run correctly. you tube has lots of videos.

I am quicker and healthier for doing so.  the issue is; I tend to over do it which causes other problems.

• Agree. You must remember that the concept of over -pronoation is bad and causes injuries and we have a 'special' type of shoe just for you, has come from marketeers and not evidence based science.

Just buy shoes that fit and feel comfortable. Your problem are most likely to do with running technique.