AN UPDATE FROM RUNNER’S WORLD

From 15 June 2024, the Runner’s World forum will hang up its running shoes for the final time.

While we are saying goodbye to the forum, you can continue to enjoy Runner’s World through our various platforms, each offering a different way to stay connected:

Sign up to the RW newsletter: Read about the latest running trends, gear reviews, expert advice and inspirational stories, delivered straight to your inbox. 

Visit runnersworld.com/uk: With everything from long reads and training articles to plans and nutrition tips, the content you trust is just a click away. 

Become a subscriber: Get the print magazine for the best in-depth features, expert advice, stunning photography and exclusive content tailored for every level of runner.

Follow us on social media: Follow @RunnersWorldUK on X, Facebook and Instagram for your daily dose of advice, motivation and fun. Keep on running…

The Runner's World team

Options

How can I train for swimming? outside ?

I'm a member of a gym, although a quite a good endurance runner, and fast on my bike. I've done a few Duathlons and one triathlon years ago. One was the Buxton Beast (a Duathlon) and a Tri somewhere, which did ok, but I was only 19 at the time.

I live near a lake, or a mere - an old sand quarry, and have swam in there loads of times, but for a few years it is also a sailing school (did a wind surfing coarse and do hire a board out in the summer).

I'm looking to do or at least train for a tri, athough fairly good in running and bike, still fairly slow in swimming, although I have swam in the sea and a strong swimmer, but not that fast, though I can keep up a front crawl even when I'm tiring and getting hot.

The gym pool is only small and 1m deep, so some mornings, I go for a swim then run afterwards, before the staff arrive and tell me it's too dangerous etc. It is cold now to swim, but once i'm in and moving ok for a few mins. Running warms me up again. Where is the best place to train like this?

Comments