Trouble finding Adidas trainers

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this or knows of any explanation.

Since about 2012 I've been training and racing in Adidas Boston and Adios trainers. It used to be you could shop around for these with about 3 different colours available at different prices since they changed them every 6 months.

Recently though, they seem to becoming rare as rocking horse sh*t. I tried 7 online retailers this morning and only 2 had Adios in my size and none had Bostons, so I'm resorting to scraping around ebay and amazon.

So, having just bought the last pair of Adios from Sweatshop in my size and tracked down a pair of Bostons from an Amazon retailer, does anyone have any idea why this is? Are there stock issues? Have they been discontinued? Is a replacement due?

Comments

• Have you tried M&M direct? I've picked up Boston boosts and Adios Zeros from them in the past.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Looks like I got lucky when keeping an eye on new year price drops, as I picked up a pair of Boston Boost 6 from Runners Need before they ran out of size 10.5.   Are you a 10 or 10.5 by any chance?

It did strike me that stocks were pretty low all over.  Maybe they're more popular than Adidas bargained for?? I've got no idea if any new version is due, v6 only came out last year didn't it?  Anyway, Spring marathon shoes sorted.  image  My Adios are also getting a bit tired after 300+ miles of mainly racing, but I'm considering replacing them with the lighter Takumi Ren, which have the added bonus of a cool Japanese name.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I'm a size 10.5 and was lucky enough to pick up 2 pairs of the Boston 6s from RunnersNeed at good value earlier this week. Lovely shoes! I agree that getting hold of them and, particularly the adios, has been much harder than this time last year. Might see if I can get hold of some of those Takumi Ren myself!

• I hadn't tried M&M but just checked and it looks a similar situation there. Will try in the future though, thanks.

Yep, size 10.5. Must be popular!

Perhaps the fact that you could pick them up easily for £60-65 has led adidas to the conclusion that they were oversupplying the market and by reducing availability they hope to shift more new models at RRP?

Anyway, the main thing is I now have a pair of red adios for London

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Andy D wrote (see)

Anyway, the main thing is I now have a pair of red adios for London

Definitely the fastest colour!  Good luck.  I did PB a marathon in Adios but found the tarmac feeling pretty damn hard after 30km and my calves were battered. I think Bostons hit the sweet spot for the full distance, for me.

• I got my marathon PB in the Boston boosts last year (in VLM). I've only worn the 5s before - are the 6s very different?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The upper feels very different to me, and much better.  I really like v5, have run a (PB) marathon and a few HMs, and the only minor niggle I had was a pinch-point at the bottom-left lace hole on the left foot.  The whole upper on the new version feels much more slipper-like, the tongue is more comfortable, and it feels more plush all round.  Despite all that it's also marginally lighter.  

As far as I can tell the sole is identical. I've only done one test run so far and they felt incredibly springy, but I don't know how much of that was new-shoe syndrome, or just my feet feeling so damn comfortable.

• They sound good, very tempted. The upper sounds similar to the Ultra Boosts which I also have, which also feel very slipper like, but I don't think they are as light as the Bostons.Feeling comfortable is a always good sign and red is definitely a fast colour!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Get a pair SK-trust me you won't be disappointed. I really liked the 5s but these are much more comfortable. Ran 20 miles in them yesterday and they felt fantastic!
  • Thanks Tom - they only seem to do the red for the men though, it's not fair!! Women get a pale pink or bright blue. The blue is OK, but not as fast as the red. Wondering how the men's size 6 is different to the women's size 6...

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Yes, I've tried the Ultra Boost, and the Supernova Glide, and the new Boston upper is similar to both, actually more like the Ultra Boost with the sock-like opening.  I didn't get on with the Ultra Boost because they were too cushioned and unstable for me, but the Glide are my favourite training shoes.

• SK - Based on this chart sizing is the same, but men's shoes are usually wider than women's.

Phil - Have you seen they have replaced the Supernova Glides with the "Supernova". They look a bit more padded, closer to the Ultras, and are 50g heavier than the Glide 8s. Like you I found the Glides just right with plenty of cushioning but not too unstable, so really disappointed they've stopped making them.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Really?!  Oh dear. I thought the Supernova was just a different shoe.  I'm OK for training shoes for a while; always keeping an eye out for a bargain I've got three pairs of v7 Glide on the go, with mileage ~1200, 700 and a new pair with one test run in them.

Cheers for the heads up anyway.  Are the 8s pretty much the same as the 7s?  I'll keep looking out for bargains...

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I've got a pair of 8s but prefer the 7s funnily enough. I find the 8s a bit bulkier/overly plush in the upper-not sure if there is any weight difference but they feel a bit heavier to me. I really like the 7s so am happy to rotate the couple of pairs I have of them on the go whilst looking out for them at very cheap prices as they are the older model.image

• Anyone used Adidas Supernova Sequence Boost shoes ? I can find those cheaply - but that's about it...
  • What? The Glides are going? Christ sake. Need to get a cheap pair in then.

The only problem I found was trying to get cheap ish Adios Boost - waited ages until finally Wiggle were flogging some in the £60 region.

Had one pair of Boston's and didn't like them - I used Tempo Boost for Berlin in 2015 and they were perfect. I knew the Adios would be too light for me over 26 miles.

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    I love my Boston boost 5's. Still got one pair in reserve for half marathons and marathons in the future. My other pair has nearly 600 miles on them so won't get too much out of them. I have 2 pairs of Boston 6 and don't like them as much as they seem much narrower.

One thing I've noticed wearing supernovas is how much more heavier they feel once you have worn adios and bostons. I find them good for long slow runs and recovery runs but find it difficult to do any faster runs in them. Is it the case the lighter you are the more you notice extra weight, as I know some runners who are 2 stone heavier than me but don't seem bothered by wearing heavier shoes.
  • I managed to get a pair of Glide 8s yesterday in Decathlon as they were clearing stock.  They had two pairs in size 8 and and one 11 but no 9s when I asked.  Got to the till and an assistant came over and said "we found these" and lo and behold, a pair in my size!  Might be worth a visit if there's a branch near you?  £40

Foolishly I wore them for a 10K that evening and finished well impressed.  No problems at all and I managed a decent fast finish (decent for me anyway!) for the last km.  Very happy!

• Cheers. I'll trawl the usual places and see what I can get...