Shin splints

Hello

In October of last year I developed a shin splint in my right leg, presumably from upping my distance from 7k to 10k too quickly (funnily enough, the first 10k I ran was fine, but it was towards the end of the second one where I felt the damage). I wasn't quite sure what it was at first as the pain kept moving around, but in the end it was quite obvious that it was a shin splint so I basically abstained from running until mid-December out of caution. By then I could feel no pain or twinges upon walking so decided to go for a gentle run to test the waters, and the pain returned just as intensely as it had the first time. Went to my GP in case it was anything more serious; she agreed it was likely a shin splint but referred me to radiology to rule out a microfracture, but the X-ray came back completely normal. 

Any advice for what to do now? All I really did last time was rest it as much as possible for 3 months. I'm resting it at the moment but I have also heard that calf/dorsiflexor exercises are useful. How long does this usually take to heal to the extent that I can actually run again?

Many thanks

Comments

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

3 months is ridiculous, 2 weeks and try running again if its still sore give it a little longer. Work in the gym on calf strength?

• I wouldn't say it's that ridiculous as I'd read that they were pretty serious and could take months to heal so I eased off. The pain went away after a few weeks but then returned upon running even months later. I guess I should have maybe run a bit more gently and/or incorporated strengthening exercises the first time
  • I had these before and when I started, they went away when I started stretching my calves regularly and haven't come back (touch wood).

• I agree with CF on the stretching. A few times a day and before you run. Look on the internet for a few simple stretches which only take a few minutes a day. I have also had trouble with shin splints since October and am only starting to run regularly again now. Stretching has definitely helped me. Also massaging your calves could help, I had massive knots in both of mine. 

• Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to tackle shin splints whilst training for a marathon.

A bit of background...
    I've been running for about 7 years consistently and on average run between 10 - 15 miles per week, I also cross train for at least 2 days a week. This is my first marathon and I am currently at the beginning of my training plan - there are still 21 weeks to go, and for the last 3 weeks I've been building up my base mileage a per week in the hope of starting with a good foundation, and increasing the number of days I run per week.

The problem...
    In this past week I've felt the beginnings of shin splints in my left leg, on the inside. I'm fairly sure that the culprit was "too much, too soon" - I got carried away after the runs were feeling really good, and went too hard on a recovery run. I've had shin splints before, in the same leg, so recognise the feeling, previously the cause has been tight calves I think this may have played a part also (tight calves has always been a bit of an issue for me). Shin splints have not bothered me for about 5 years and when I have had them previously, I have managed to over come them through massage and running on grass.

Obviously, I want to nip this in the bud, but I'm really worried rest about affecting my training plan for the marathon. I've decided to do one week of cross training this week, to see if this gets rid of any stress in the area and to help maintain fitness.

The questions I have are:

1. Is cross training a helpful substitute for running when marathon training?

2. When I do return to running, what is a sensible mileage to avoid putting myself back to square one?

3. Has anyone experienced shin splints at the start of a marathon plan, and what did you do about it?

4. Running through shin splints... is this ever possible or does it always risk a fracture?

Thoughts and advice are gratefully received!
  • DevleyDevley ✭✭✭
    great advice on runnersconnect and a lot of comments from people with even more suggestions.
    https://runnersconnect.net/the-ultimate-guide-to-shin-splints-for-runners/

• Hey there, First off definitely keep up with the stretching. Have you been for a sports massage? I had a pain in my leg similar to a shin splint but i became way to over nervous and thought it had gone into a stress fracture because of the pain, I went to the doctors who gave me the advice to stop running for 3 months and do several stretches 3 times a day.

If you get chance go and see a sports massage therapist, they may be able to help you with some stretches that will support the place of pain and be able to tell you if it is something you need to be worried about. The person who did mine told me to rest if for a few days then try easing back into running from a slower pace at a shorter distance and I've got back into running a lot quicker than the doctors suggested.

Key things get it check out by someone who's specific to running/sports,
    Get some good stretches going daily, once or twice should do it,
    Don't slack on warming up before a run,
    And ease back into running gently,

Depending on what you find out about the pain you hopefully should be back in a couple of weeks.
    'Run, Ride, Live'
    Twitter @TeamSLTA or Facebook @TeamSLTA
    Online : http://slightlylessthanawesome.com/
  • I used to have shin splints a couple years ago... Started thai boxing and practiced kicks on the big long bags (they are tough to kick at the bottom) and my shins are alot stronger now
  • Hey Yasmell

I got shin splints whilst training for the VLM 2017, believe me I know your pain.

I was training for an April marathon and went down with shin splints at the end of January.

This is what I did to make it to the start line:

X-RAY
    Go to the doctors get an x-ray, you have to make sure you don't have a stress fracture.
    My splints were so painful I was convinced they were stress fractures. Luckily I got the all clear.

REST & FOAM ROLL
    When the pain is really bad no running for about 2-3 weeks. You must let your shins heal
    Foam roll your calfs and shins, I got a massage stick for this (you can get these off amazon).

CROSSTRAIN
    Whilst resting get down the gym on the bike and the rowing machine you won't lose your fitness.

STRENGTHEN & STRETCH
    I did strength exercises x4 a week for my quads, calfs, glutes and core. (look on youtube for the exercises).
    Stretch your leg muscles daily especially your calfs.

COME BACK SLOWLY
    After 2-3 weeks of no running try a small run (2-3 miles). Make sure you warm up.
    Don't worry about missing long runs, I did this and came back too soon, did too much and ended up re-injuring myself and ended back at square one. (3 times!!!)

Also try to avoid road running for a few runs until you feel confident that you are on the mend.

TAPE UP YOUR SHINS
    Try taping up your shins when you run, I used Rock tape which I found to be the best, you can buy it from Amazon. You can also try compression sleeves but I found tape was better for me. (look on Youtube for how to tape up for shins properly)

ICE
    Get a big bucket from B&Q the one builders use for mixing cement (they are longer so that you can get both your legs in there) fill it with cold water and add ice.

Immediately after your run stretch out your muscles and then ice your shins for 15 - 20 mins.

Do this after EVERY RUN, the ice keeps the inflammation down which causes the pain.

COMPRESS & ELEVATE
    Immediately after icing dry your legs and wear compression sleeves (you can get these off amazon).
    Lay on the sofa and elevate your legs on a few cushions.

Do this after EVERY RUN.

I even slept with my compression sleeves on.

SPORTS MASSAGE
    Treat yourself and get a professional sports massage, pay extra attention to the calfs.

CHECK YOUR RUNNING TECHNIQUE
    This is important, there are loads of videos of this on Youtube about this.
    Basically when you run take shorter strides, make sure you land on your midfoot and keep your back and head up so that you are running tall and not sinking into your hips.

CHECK YOUR SHOES
    Even if they are new, I was wearing the wrong type of shoes which did a lot of damage.

Because I have flat feet my feet overpronate, my physio said I needed to wear off the shelf orthotics to help my fallen arches. What I didn't know was the shoes I had were designed for people who overpronate so had plenty of support. But when I put the orthotics in them it made my feet over-over overpronate (too much support). This prolonged my shin pain.

I then got a pair of neutral shoes, added my orthotics and as if by my magic my splints were gone.

PHYSIO
    If you are still struggling get expert advice it's worth the money.

Good luck, you will get better.
  • Shin Splints is something i get worried about as it sounds horrible, I'm new to running and started a couple of weeks a go, I have been running 4 times a week and going to the 5k park runs. I have signed up for a 10k charity run in June but after running this past couple of weeks my shins get quite tight but it seems to settle down a little through out my run. Is this normal or could it be leading to me getting shin splints?
  • Hi, I have run on and off for a few years but started running frequently in January and following a slow beginners half marathon training plan. All was going well and I was running 20-30km a week quite easily but in mid March I stupidly did an exercise video barefoot and started to have shin splint symptoms (shooting pain down my shin when exercising and a dull ache when resting). I did a few more runs but then it became very painful so I took two weeks off. Then started running again and it felt fine at first but I then began to have pain walking so had to stop running completely. This was about 3 weeks ago and there is still an ache in my leg and it is quite painful at times.

Yesterday I ran and came up with bruises on my knee and shin even though I didn't hit it. When I stretch both the thigh and shin feel quite tight.

I have booked two 10ks (mid June and mid July) and a half marathon in September. I don't know what to do - keep running or continue to rest? If so, how long should I continue to rest for as I would not then want to rush into a 10k race and injure it all over again? The most important race is obviously the half marathon but I would like to do the 10ks too if possible as they are now booked.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • irunnerirunner ✭✭
    Hey Jess7981,

If it hurts rest, there's no magical cure for shin splints you must let it heal, strengthen your calfs, quads and glutes and come back slowly.

Get on the bike and rowing machine in the gym and crosstrain to keep up your fitness up.

You must do lots of stretching especially your calfs.

Check you have the right shoes and check your running gait. (Basically when you run take shorter strides, make sure you land on your midfoot and keep your back and head up so that you are running tall and not sinking into your hips.)

I've listed a whole load of advice a few comments above to help you come back quicker from shin splints.

Good luck.
  • Hi all,

I've been running for about a year now getting up to a 10k three times a week and then doing a longer 15-20k run at the weekend. It was going really well, so I decided to mix it up with quick 5ks, hill runs as well as my usual 10ks and weekend long run; inevitably I soon got the dull ache in my right shin - shin splints!

I went to a physio just before Christmas who diagnosed the condition and told me it was to do with my core and the fact that I was over pronating on my right. While standing, almost unconsciously my right foot would just stick out slightly-it was bizarre!

When I first started running I basically just went for it with no real core work so I was given daily exercises to strengthen my glutes, and improve my alignment.

Cadence - the amount of times each foot hits the floor per minute - is also important and I was told to increase mine by at least ten percent, I was currently doing 160, so have pushed it up to the 170 per minute mark. I've got an app called Runzi which plays a metronome 'knock' each time your feet should be hitting the ground - it's a bit weird to begin with as you kind of feel that you're shuffling but ultimately it will means your feet will be slapping down on the tarmac or whatever a lot less.

Anyway, can still feel them aching a bit - I did a 10k yesterday, but I guess, like a lot of runners who are returning from injury you become sensitive to even the slightest twinge.

Anyway, excuse the rant but it's very therapeutic to offload. It's good also to hear other people's experiences, so keep in touch!

Cheers!

Mark
  • > @irunner said:
    > Hey Yasmell
    >
    > I got shin splints whilst training for the VLM 2017, believe me I know your pain.
    >
    > I was training for an April marathon and went down with shin splints at the end of January.
    >
    > This is what I did to make it to the start line:
    >
    > X-RAY
    > Go to the doctors get an x-ray, you have to make sure you don't have a stress fracture.
    > My splints were so painful I was convinced they were stress fractures. Luckily I got the all clear.
    >
    > REST & FOAM ROLL
    > When the pain is really bad no running for about 2-3 weeks. You must let your shins heal
    > Foam roll your calfs and shins, I got a massage stick for this (you can get these off amazon).
    >
    > CROSSTRAIN
    > Whilst resting get down the gym on the bike and the rowing machine you won't lose your fitness.
    >
    > STRENGTHEN & STRETCH
    > I did strength exercises x4 a week for my quads, calfs, glutes and core. (look on youtube for the exercises).
    > Stretch your leg muscles daily especially your calfs.
    >
    > COME BACK SLOWLY
    > After 2-3 weeks of no running try a small run (2-3 miles). Make sure you warm up.
    > Don't worry about missing long runs, I did this and came back too soon, did too much and ended up re-injuring myself and ended back at square one. (3 times!!!)
    >
    > Also try to avoid road running for a few runs until you feel confident that you are on the mend.
    >
    > TAPE UP YOUR SHINS
    > Try taping up your shins when you run, I used Rock tape which I found to be the best, you can buy it from Amazon. You can also try compression sleeves but I found tape was better for me. (look on Youtube for how to tape up for shins properly)
    >
    > ICE
    > Get a big bucket from B&Q the one builders use for mixing cement (they are longer so that you can get both your legs in there) fill it with cold water and add ice.
    >
    > Immediately after your run stretch out your muscles and then ice your shins for 15 - 20 mins.
    >
    > Do this after EVERY RUN, the ice keeps the inflammation down which causes the pain.
    >
    > COMPRESS & ELEVATE
    > Immediately after icing dry your legs and wear compression sleeves (you can get these off amazon).
    > Lay on the sofa and elevate your legs on a few cushions.
    >
    > Do this after EVERY RUN.
    >
    > I even slept with my compression sleeves on.
    >
    > SPORTS MASSAGE
    > Treat yourself and get a professional sports massage, pay extra attention to the calfs.
    >
    > CHECK YOUR RUNNING TECHNIQUE
    > This is important, there are loads of videos of this on Youtube about this.
    > Basically when you run take shorter strides, make sure you land on your midfoot and keep your back and head up so that you are running tall and not sinking into your hips.
    >
    > CHECK YOUR SHOES
    > Even if they are new, I was wearing the wrong type of shoes which did a lot of damage.
    >
    > Because I have flat feet my feet overpronate, my physio said I needed to wear off the shelf orthotics to help my fallen arches. What I didn't know was the shoes I had were designed for people who overpronate so had plenty of support. But when I put the orthotics in them it made my feet over-over overpronate (too much support). This prolonged my shin pain.
    >
    > I then got a pair of neutral shoes, added my orthotics and as if by my magic my splints were gone.
    >
    > PHYSIO
    > If you are still struggling get expert advice it's worth the money.
    >
    > Good luck, you will get better.

Helpful and reassuring. Thanks!
  • Lots of really helpful comments on here that I'm really grateful for.

Like so many runners, I'm experiencing the frustration of shin splints/tibial stress injury at the moment.

I'm mid-30s, started running a couple of years ago (was pretty fit before then, just never quite clicked with running), and over the last two years I've been very sensible with building my running up slowly, listening to my body, not trying to go too far too quickly etc. As a result, I can now run over 10 miles easily, 20 mile weeks are no problem, and although I'm not the quickest, my times have started to come down recently. Whenever injuries (including early stages of shin splints) have appeared before, I've stepped back and they've gone away.

Then I made a classic mistake. I signed up for my first marathon in October 2019 (it's in Sept 2020), and it would seem, took on a bit too much in the excitement. From doing 10-19 miles per week, I did a 28 mile week. I felt fine. So the following week I started introducing hill reps - serious hill reps, really intense. Then I started to get that slightly bruised, dull ache on the inside of my tibia.

Sensibly, I went to see a physio, got 3 rounds of shockwave therapy over a few weeks. She told me not to stop running, but to take the speed and miles right down. I thought I'd done that, but it would seem I didn't take it down enough or for long enough. The pain got worse, until about a month ago when it became quite sharp at the start of a run, and then began hurting when walking.

Fearing a stress fracture, rather than just a stress reaction/inflammation, I decided to lay off completely. This seems to have been a good decision as nearly one month later I'm not getting any pain when walking, it's no longer tender at all to touch, and it generally feels good.

I've tried to do everything right - keep fit with low impact stuff like ergos and bikes, eat healthily, work on ankle/glute/calf strength etc. I even took a Run Lab session to check out my form (need to quicken my cadence to avoid overstride!) But.... obviously, what I really want to do is start running again. Soon.

Like all runners, whilst I've been laid up I've done a LOT of reading and have become something of an expert in lower leg injuries!

However, my question is about returning to running, and the very subjective concept of 'pain'.

I think I'm at the stage now where I can start re-introducing some very light running, walk/running. Over the past week I've done that - I had a very gentle jog around my local sand dunes, then a very gentle walk/run round my local track. It felt good - better than it has done for a few months to be honest, since the injury started building up. However, although there's not what I would call 'pain', I'm still very much aware that the area still feels a bit different and that it's not at full strength. And in the hours after these runs, it's felt... not exactly sore, but noticeable. Whilst I feel like I'm doing things correctly, most of what I've read says that you should stop progression and take another step back if you feel any 'pain' during or after activity.

So really, my question from your experiences is, what constitutes pain? Should I keep trying to re-introduce running even if I'm 'aware' of my shin still feeling slightly different? Or should I wait until a feel absolutely nothing? The last thing I want to do is make things worse. I know everyone's different, but I'd love to hear how other people have navigated these final stages of healing from shin splints, and what advice you'd have for me. Especially as when it gets to May, I want to be getting stuck into marathon training mode injury free.