Pacing advice - newbie runner

Hi all

Completed my first marathon last year (Athens, 4:13) and having followed the Martin Yelling beginner's program I decided to do his improver program for my next marathon (Paris, aiming for 3:45).

My question is about some of the types of run, and what the typical paces for each would be. Does the below sound correct?

Easy/Jog: 9 min/mil

Marathon pace/Steady: 8:34 min/mil

Tempo: 7:30 min/mil

Fast: 6:40 min/mil

Thanks for any advice you can give!!!

All the best

Deano

PBs:

5km - 21:31

10km - 45:31

13.1 mil - 1:45:00

26.2 mil - 4:12:58

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi Dean

Looking at your PBs in pace terms:

5k  6:56

10k 7:20

HM  8:00

M 9:40

...would indicate 9mm is not an "easy/jog" for the long runs.  I would recommend you use 5k+3mins i.e. closer to 10mm for at least the first half of the long runs, and, if you feel ok, do the second half faster, accelerating evenly towards the 9mm you first posited.

"Tempo" has many different meanings.  Looking at the schedule, the tempos are structured as intervals, so somewhere between 10k and HM pace looks right.  7:30 would be ok.

"Fast" in the schedule looks like 5k pace imho.

Remember, there is a big slope-off in your times per distance, so you're better off doing more miles, more slowly, than the schedule asks, rather than smashing out fast tempos and short intervals. You need more endurance, not speed, to hit your goal Mara time.

Good luckimage

• Thank you so much Teknik. I appreciate the guidance! 

ATB 

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Here are the definitions of easy, etc. and they're not understood in terms of pace, which is fair given that Martin has no idea of your paces!

Teknik's paces look good, so you have to try them and see if the descriptions of what you feel match the descriptions given above.  Personally I'd slow that Tempo pace slightly, nearer your HMP, based on the description, but nothing is wrong until you try it!  Fast is not described, so yeah, go fast!

• Thanks Ratzer. Yes definitely fair...and I have found the plans generally very helpful. An example pace would have been an improvement is all ???? 

My first marathon makes my PB look worse than it should've been. I went out too fast, heart rate went too high and I played it safe backing off to a much slower pace to slow my heart down. I finished with a Sprint and fresh legs. I as back in the gym for a loosened the following Wednesday.

Thanks again both.