Advice for beginner runner, fartlek?

H all. I have not run for a couple of years used to do some running. I have never completed the c25k for numerous reasons and am now fed up of plans and programs. I'm thinking if doing fartlek training, just jogging till the lamppost etc. I want to run a half marathon max. Will this method improve my endurance an unstructured plan or would I be better with c25k?

I plan to run three times a week. Ran yesterday and my legs are a little sore but it was the first time in a couple of years so not too bad. Just really fed up of the c25k as tried and failed it so many times. Max I got up to was a 20 minute run, then I stopped for some reason I do not remember.

Thanks, Mike.  

Comments

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Motivation is one of the hardest things to train.  It's easier to take a path with fewer obstacles on it than to train yourself to climb over them all.

Zen meditations out of the way, and on to the practical stuff.  Do what you enjoy.  First that means you need a reason for running that makes any training worth doing; then you need to find the training that you enjoy, until you're at the stage where you can pick a session you don't really enjoy but where the outcome for you is worth the input.

Fartlek is one of the more fun sessions.  It's not fixed, so you can do what you feel like.  If that's what keeps you going towards your running goals then make sure it's somewhere in your three runs.

Just remember, not having a goal - demotivating.  Not progressing towards that goal - demotivating.  A plan is intended to show you that you are progressing towards your goal.  Someone else's plan, though, you might not be able to follow, so have a loose plan that fits you.  Running three times a week is a good start, so maybe just add running five minutes extra in total each week until you're running for an hour a week; or running an extra fifty steps on each run; or whatever suits you to reach your goal.