Options

leg injury - mild

Ive been running for about 5 months and suffered a lot with pain up betweeen my knee and ankle on the inside. Both legs but presently on left leg predominantly. Ive been using crappy sportsdirect running shoes - recently bought a ??95 pair of trainers from a running shop which feels amazing!!! Went on a running machine and told I'm a neutral runner. But my left leg I cant shake the pain... a sharp pain when I tiptoe, walk upstairs, get out of car - but no pain generally when walking and when running once warmed up dont feel anything. Ill attach photo of where pain is -- inside lower end of leg, above ankle. More front than side though but towards inside of main bone.... Can I keep pushing hard? I leave to train with army in 3 weeks. Ive only run once a week last two weeks and still there. A lot of fast paced jogging.... 5 miles at about 6.5-7mph and 1.5 mile PB runs. Currently 10:18 treadmill. 10:38 street... so about 8.5-9mph Your thoughts please guys, I need to tain harder to better prepare for army training

Comments

• Options

Too much too soon, take three weeks off then build up very very gradually, running slowly. No speed work for several months.  Go to docs and ask for bone scan / mri to rule out stress fracture.

• Options
    Doesn't sound good - especially since I'm gong away for army phase 1 training at end of January.

Last pain was beginning of December, then didn't run until after Christmas and it felt a lot better, not fully there but sooo much better. Then hit running hard with crap shoes and got worse.

You don't think it could just be bruising internally or anything?

Are there are techniques to help with a worst case and best case scenario?

Like cold spray or heat spray....

Loads of calcium and vitamin D....

Can stop impact sport until I leave to give it some breathing space but problem is then I'll be hitting it hard again, albeit this time I will have proper cushioned running shoes designed to absorb the shock better......
  • Options
    Just doing some research... I think it might be shin splints...

The pain is generalised, not in a specific area but moves across the length of the area.

If I keep prodding all areas of the bone I can't find a specific pain spot. It doesn't hurt to press.

It's worse in the morning, especially when colder and doesn't progressively get worse as I run.

Now my knowledge of running injuries is purely academic of course (Dr Google if you will). But your thoughts are appreciated no matter how small.

I think I should stick to cross trainer and excercise bike and swimming to build stamina and keep flexible for time being.
  • Options

Unfortunately, the biggest mistakes you are making now are self-diagnosing via Google, which is never a good thing, and also not giving yourself enough rest.

My advice would be to go to the Dr or a physio, and describe your pain/problems to them.

Unfortunately your injury won't get any better if you continue your cycle of short amount of rest, and then 'hitting running hard' - part of the recovery is rehabilitation, which means you need to ease yourself back into the running, and doing so slowly.

• Options

As MAtthew says above- advice from a professional seem wise- especially as an injury will totally ruin your army career. I would suggest seeing a sports physio ASAP, and avoiding the things that exacerbate until then.

Cross training is probably OK if you are careful. Deepwater running is great to keep fit whilst you are off your feet.

• Options

Sounds like, you are a newish runner. This means poor conditioning to cope with e impact of running, worsened by poor quality footwear. 

In addtion, certain foot types are predisposed to medial tibial stress if they roll in too much. 

The new shoes seemed to help, but if the condition had progressed to stress fracture level, then, rest is on the cards. Of course you can still do other types of exercise, like stretching, gym, bike , swimming. 

If you want a career in the army, then get your biomechanics looked at. The army does not do this, and they don not treat biomechanics very well, as they rely solely on Physio, who may not deal with that aspect. 

My son, was discharged from the army due to an injury he picked up during training. They could not fix him, much to my frustration they did not ge to the cause, hence the failure of treatment. 

It was partially my fault for not dealing with his biomechanics before he went in, but that's history. Once he was in, all attempts to help him were denied by the army, as he was their care. 

get it checked out before you go in, the intensity of training may pose a problem once there. 

• Options
    I'm a neutral runner if that's what you mean.

Army's in 4 weeks, nothing I can do time wise.
  • Options

An you've been told you are a Neutral runner bu whom.

and what does that actually mean, in the context of an injury?

i would not accept that being a Neutral runner means anything at all.

Shoe shop diagnosis in no diagnosis at all. 

There are many factors that contribute to an injury.

i apprecitate time is short, but it's your carreer you are talking about, 

get it checked out. 

• Options
    By a running shop with one of those treadmills with two cameras
  • Options

i see this type of 'diagnosis ' everyday.

with all due respects to running shops. There is more to biomechanics than looking at someone running on a treadmill. 

remember their primary focus is to sell a shoe, that attempts to help, improve your gait.

unfortunatly there is more to foot and leg function than what a shoe can deal with. 

know it costs to seek help. But...

• Options

newrunner87- What Footmech says is absolutely sensible- don't assume that 4 weeks is not enough time to change things- it depends on the cause. Please seek help!

• Options
    To be fair to the shoe shop their only objective was to help decide suitable shoes for my running style. They didn't offer medical advice.

As previously I was running on these:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-duma-2-mens-running-shoes-211004?colcode=21100403

I feel a massive difference in the proper running shoes. May as well have been running bare foot before.

Should a GP be sufficient in assessing the injury? Or preferably a sports clinic (if I have one anywhere near me)? Paying for an assessment isn't necessarily an issue.
  • Options

Unless your GP has sports injury training/ interest, I doubt they will able to help (I am a Dr, and we were taught nothing about this stuff, not even when I did 18 months as an orthopaedic trainee).