Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Dave
    slippin' & slidin' out of running is not an option!  A trade off is a walk at at first just to get outside -but as alehouse has demonstrated even that can be fraught with danger.  I hate walking in the rain but sometimes it has to be done.
    However a clear weekend is forecast so get those pizza calories burnt off.  Hopefully it was accompanied by something liquid and a good chat as well
    I have been in your position several times and I am in it now but it will come right 
  • Options
    sad news about Jack Charlton - a proper legend of the game.
    Met him a couple of times socially in the distant past and he was always ready for a chat - normally with a pint in his hand :)
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Celebrities with their unlimited money supply use personal trainers to get them up and out the door. We don't have that, so our motivation to run has to come from within. This is a very personal thing as we all have very different stresses and pressures that can act as barriers.
    For me, it is relatively easy, as first and foremost I need to be outside. I need to feel the elements, the wind in my face and, yes, even the rain. I have run, cross country skied, cycled but all to get me outside. When outside I am alive, I'm responding to the challenge, whether it is to win the race or just get to the next corner, I no longer care. I'm still outside taking it on. I know if I ever stop feeling that challenge or stop responding it will be a step in the wrong direction. I don't know you well enough to offer any real advice but try to remember what got you out there in the first place and try and relight that fire.

Still crazy hot here but got out really early, just after it had rained. Not too hot but very humid but I managed 7k easy and actually enjoyed it. Lost a few pounds in sweat but that's easy to put back.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well, I didn't want to report back with another zero, but nevertheless, I faffed and prevaricated (including going for a haircut) until I saw Mick's post - the final push I needed !!    
    So, up to my loop, and a very leaden 5K accomplished.
    Nice to make an entry in the diary . . .     

cheers all;  Dave 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ps - TS - yes, I was sad to hear of Big Jack's passing. He took over here at SWFC in 1977, when we were near the bottom of Div3. He led us to promotion in the 1979/80 season.
    A fair bet he wouldn't have been allowed 3 years to accomplish these days . . . .   
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done today, Birch! Onwards and upwards! Don't worry about pace or how badly you are running etc! Gentle consistent consistency please! A coach once said to me that when you aren't very fit 2 out of 3 runs are not good; when you are fit 2 out of 3 feel good. I think he was about right!

6k supposedly easy, this morning. Was a struggle, probably due to yesterday's 75 minutes rather than less than an hour in the alehouse! A first visit since mid March and it was very quiet. Just the two of us in the room we go in; I have heard it described as an "old man's" pub...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    First Cornwall Parkrun since 14th March to report - very happy with the result - 27 min 30 AG 79.64% 

Yes George is our Labrador/Weimaraner/Hunterway mix dog - very head strong.

Yes the hardest thing is making the start line or getting out the door.

Feeling the same way this morning - not sure whether to go back to bed or not!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done NZC! 80% beckons!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Great job Dave an entry in your diary you have made a start😁
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Well done NZC a great result😊

Yesterday I ran 6.30 miles and faster than a run in ages . It must be the power of new race too that was hand delivery the night before by local club chairman.
    No idea if Achilles will allow a run today but hope so.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Well done Dave, the next one will be easier.

NZC,
    80% AG, that is classy.

Cooler today but still very humid. 7k cruised the neighbourhood.

Mick
  • Options
    NZC
    very well done - what a way to come out of a lockdown :)
    That sounds a big dog - none of those breeds are on the small size

Alehouse
    you weren't in the saloon bar were you.................

Welshpoppy
    way to go - any day with 6+ miles is a good one

Mick
    cruisin' the n'hood eh?  you sound like a teenager out for trouble :)

dave
    well done for getting out there - although I have to admit that having a haircut is the ultimate prevarication. After that there is nowhere to go :)
    You did better than me even with your leaden legs - I managed only 2.5 miles this morning before having had enough - nice day for a stroll though - sunny, warm and a light breeze made it quite pleasant.
    Got home and edged the lawns that I had cut yesterday so it wasn't all wasted!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    splendid work, NZC !  

"cruising" sounds much better than my "lumbering", Mick . . . 

W.Poppy - nice and speedy - well done :)  how is achilles today?   

TS - not fond of visiting barber's , but really was needs must !   I probably had a bigger trim than your lawn did . . .      

alehouse - I did say, when pubs allowed to open last week, that I wasn't bothered, as the change in ambience (screens, no bar service etc) didn't appeal, but on my run this afternoon (another 5K), I passed a couple of establishments where customers were sitting out in the sun, and it has made me fancy a visit now !  However, plan to watch the B'mouth v Filberts game shortly, so I'll settle for a couple of the Heineken 0% which remain in my fridge :)   

So, today - as stated, a sedate 5K this pm, following a 45 min cycle this morning (have acquired a cheap folding bike, not with the intention of entering Mick territory, more just to use on flat off road courses here and there). This morning drove over to my daughter's side of the city, to cycle as she did an easy 45 mins run.  Aerobically very easy, but on my run, my quads could feel the bike work !  Followed my run with some stretching and light exercises.  6 miles for the week - but given I was on zero yesterday lunchtime, I'll settle for that . . .    onwards and upwards . . .     

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Yes, watching Leicester Fosse with a zero per cent beer as well! C'mon you Foxes!

Beer = Brutal Brewing's A Ship Full of IPA. Swedish.

I dare say someone will be pleased with the Spurs' result.

7k was the minimum fare today, and slightly exceeded it to bring up 53k for the week and just over half of my 2020k in 2020 challenge.

And well done with the sensible head, Birch.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    oh dear, alehouse  . . . .   
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, needed to switch from zero per cent to something stronger!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

Dave: Great work on getting out again for your run.

Torque: Good work on your run .I take it the hip is slowly healing?

I did run yesterday 4.5 miles Achilles not happy but after 2 miles it eased off a little.

Today I am hopeful for a run I cant wait to get back to my rolling hills it has been a long 6 weeks but for the moment it is the under 150ft climbing for me.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    what is happening to them?  It's the hard stuff from now on for you :)

Dave
    running and cycling - proper hardcore!
    I have just passed our local restaurant/bistro where we would often have lunch or dinner over the last 10 years. Nice friendly place, knew the owners and staff by name etc.  been closed since the start of the outbreak

For sale sign up...................................... :/

Welshpoppy
    Good news on your progress. Watch out for those hills as they do increase strain on the achilles particularly when it's a steep gradient

unfortunately my run was as carp as carp could be :/
    All the carefully and painful increases in low level aerobic ability that I had built up over months have disappeared and i don't think I can go through the process again.
    The good news is that the hip just hurts..............

No run this morning - just a walk to clear the head
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    No, TS, can't believe yesterday evening's match! Madness!
    Shame about the restaurant.
    Never met Jack Charlton, but did once have an encounter with his brother when I took a party of children to a match...It was a case of never meet your heroes... 
    I am quite sure that all your fitness will not have disappeared! It just feels like it! A slow gradual build back up and you will soon be back to where you were (but not where you want to be...we never get there do we!). 

Talking of which...have felt quite good the last few days but was awoken in the night by a tender right glute...and an even more uncomfortable left one. They haven't really been right since the sacrum fracture almost a year ago. Had intended that this week I would push a few hills harder before more serious speedwork from the beginning of August. Well the hills won't be happening this week judging by today's struggle. About 40 minutes in total with some gentle stretching in the middle. Can't push off properly. Hoping the problem will settle; hard to say but wonder if it was brought on by a couple of hours yesterday building the foundations for a new piece of path. In fact laying the path except for one piece of Indian stone that I need to get a friend to cut. 

Grey and slightly damp today to welcome the West Indian team to Old Trafford.  
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Torque

Sometimes we just have poor runs no explanation,maybe tomorrow will be better.

Oh yes Achilles has been fine over regular rolling hills  it seemed to have the 4 miles of vertical hills.Sadly lesson learned.

Today is day 3 of running on the trot 5.20 miles but a very slow 🐌 run but progress ,let us see if I can run again tomorrow.It seems less stiff today.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    At our age setbacks seem to hit so much harder and permanently chisel away at our endurance and speed. I have proved to myself, all is not lost, you just have to adapt. I really thought my running career was over when I struggled with my knee, but I found a way around it and yes I had to slow even more and reduce my mileage further, but I am still out there. I run 4 days a week, ride 1 or 2 and when able work the gym. There is still a lot to be enjoyed even if you are not in the lead pack.
    Cruising the neighbourhood looking for trouble, yes I did a lot of that and found a lot of trouble, picked up by the cops for the first time when I was 6, but that is a long story.

Alehouse,
    I found the Leicester game more entertaining than the Spurs game as that was one big yawn. DIY is dangerous, it should come with a warning label. When I take on a house project I always end up with something hurting.

WP,
    Nothing wrong with slow, you are out there with an 80% AG in the bag, know anyone else that can claim that.

I decided on a trail run today as the sun was strong. 6k virtually all in the shade. I am getting used to the uneven ground and tough but short hills so it doesn't seem to cost me as much.  Foot contact balance was crap and I trying to get it right, not sure what I did wrong.

Mick

• Options
    alehouse
    never meet your heroes - indeed!
    However some of them turn out all right in the flesh and Big Jack never lost the common touch.

DIY has a lot to answer for! Hope it clears up quickly.

Welshpoppy
    yup - big extension of the achilles on steep hills so keep to the easier ones

Mick
    and then you grew up and got a motor bike - complete with leather jacket!
    It's tough when you have to seek out the shade.

I can recover from physical setbacks but it took me 4 months to slowly refocus my body on lower end aerobic endurance to compensate for my thyroid deficiency and now it's back to where it was originally - felt it immediately on trying to run.

Anyway 1.25 miles done this morning  in 13:30 tired me out :/

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

Torque: Sorry to hear of the struggles on your run:-( But we keep trying each day and it will get better hopefully.

Mick: 6 years old! you have been naughty boy:-) I have not used HRM since Achilles flare up but sometime we just run better than other days.Have you performance conditioning on your watch? I do but no idea what it does really.It sounds tough with the heat for you.

Today 4th run on the trot just 4 miles today as tired and short of time but pace was better  than  yesterday and finally RHR back at  normal for me 39.I think I will know when I can go back to the rolling hills.....hopefully not too long.

In other news it was jab day so I should be back firing on all cylinders in a few days.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Yes I did and I am still riding one and while wearing a leather jacket.
    You face much tougher challenges than me and I don't want to be the last man standing so keep getting out there.

WP,
    I can recall my mother's advice as I walked out the door as a teenager, 'Michael, I don't care what you do as long as you don't get caught'. Gives you an idea of how my childhood was.
    I do have the performance conditioning feature for what it is worth. Garmin use an algorithm combining heart rate, variability and pace to estimate your VO2 max. I think it is reasonably accurate measured over sufficient runs but then they try and do an instantaneous measure on the run and then produce a graph or number of how you are doing against your estimated VO2 max.
    Of course at the start of the run when your heart rate is low you get a positive number and then as your HR creeps up it goes negative. It takes no account of terrain or heat so unless you run the same course in the same conditions it means little. They call this performance conditioning but it is just the change in their VO2 max estimate based on very little data. I would ignore it.

Another sunny and hot day so off on the trails for 6k. Took it slow but enjoyed being out and among the trees. Avg WHR % at 65 so no real effort, just fun.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    W.Poppy - great work over four days - nicely in the bag prior to your jab!  

TS - sorry that you are struggling - really hope its short-lived . .  

alehouse - how are the glutes today?  

Mick - sounds very pleasant on those trails . . .  

rest day yesterday, but another 5K today, so 3 of those in 4 days.  I'm meeting an ex-work colleague in the morning for a run - she says 4 or 5 miles at 11 min pace, so should suit me fine.  It will be 3 weeks on Saturday since the 9.5miles.  Thinking of 10 this Saturday.  Thoughts?  

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Quick post!

Birch: shortest run today since the start of lockdown probably says how the glutes are!
    Re 10 miles...I would settle for 10k at most! No rush!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Mick I think your mother knew you pretty well😊
    Sounds perfect on the trails for your run.

Dave: Enjoy the run this morning and we'll done on finding your mojo😊 but I feel that 10 is too much  I would aim for 7-8 this Saturday and then if all well 10 the week after.

Late start from me but too be expected will decide if rest is needed but Achilles seems to be okay which is a shame if I don't run.......coffee first😊
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick
    I'm always last man standing :)!

A couple of years back we were staying in Matlock, a town in the Peak District. Went out for a walk on Sunday morning and Mrs TS was most reluctant to go down the high street as it was filled with bikers and parked motor bikes.
    I pointed out to her that most of them had more grey hair than me and that the bikes were probably worth as much as my car which reassured her!!

alehouse
    ouch!

Dave
    you wouldn't be asking the question if you didn't know what the answer should be :) Mr Sensible hat on please

Welshpoppy
    enjoy the coffee................

warm, muggy morn here as I did a whole 1.75 miles in 17:25. Worked very hard for it with a AHR of 130 and a max of 147 which illustrates just how far back I have gone
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    TS - you ventured out -   setting the example!!   👍    

WP - as you've joined TS & alehouse in advising sensible hat, maybe you sported it yourself today and rested, even though achilles is playing ball, as you have 4 days in a row bagged.   

did 4 hilly miles with my friend this morning, then 45 mins pedalling.   Very pleasant morning.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, TS
    And Birch

Rained all morning so decided to wait for a dry spell this afternoon. Within minutes of course it was raining again. Short and easy but glutes did make too much noise. Supposed to be running with my M75 friend in the morning. Or not. Usually gentle.