Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Sounds like a couple of great runs, Mick! And decent temperatures. Only 4 degrees here and that is without taking the brisk wind into consideration.
    Fitness suite first, mainly to put some weight through my Achilles: precautionary. Only 12 in there at my allotted time. Felt safe. Then it was 3k warm up, 3 X 3 minutes hard with 90 seconds jog recovery. Warm down. Wind was very erratic and obviously was in my face whichever way I ran. Didn't cover as much ground as the last time I did this session but happy with the effort. Tracksters, gloves and two long sleeve tops.
    Easy day tomorrow.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • That sounds a great few days Mick Weather a little colder here.3 degrees this morning!

Yesterday was a busy day run first thing 5 miles and average hR lower so good,then off for a picnic and walk and we found a picnic bench in the sun it was bliss as pretty cold and windy.

Today rest day as I am tired and sniffly but another day out for picnic this is a small village I was going to run marathon  so as on lockdown 6pm tonight last chance to go there.There will be hot soup in picnic:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    rest day yesterday (quads felt heavy after running and cycling on Friday).  out at 7:30 today for my "long" run - same as last week - 6.5 miles.   Cold and windy, but nice to be out - a few others walking & running, including one or two whom I took to be students (I live near to Sheff University) - had plenty arriving in the last few days, so good to see.  

For the next month, I've decided to run every other day, so, a 7 day fortnight, then add a day during November, and a further day in December (so, a 9 day fortnight). The caveat being, of course, that legs can handle this, and knee continues to improve.  The ad-hoc approach leads to me getting carried away, and then set back, so I think this may suit. We'll see. I'd like to progress to a 12 mile long run by the end of the year - so that's 5.5 miles further than currently, but 12 weeks to get there.   Exercises to continue.     

Mick - sounds another good ride - take it you remained in the saddle this time ?

alehouse - nicely done . . .   could do with my gym re-opening - hope to hear soon (one way or another), as its a University gym.     

Poppy - good day all-round yesterday - enjoy picnic #2 today !   

John - I hope your "injury gloom" wasn't deepened too badly by the football yesterday - I've no idea how your team managed to lose  . . . . 

Dave
  • Mick
    beware - they are after your inventions!
    Your weather sounds wonderful just now - enjoy it as I know that winter can't be far behind for you.

Alehouse
    3 x 3 min hard sounds a toughie!
    Not tracksters already?!

Welshpoppy
    hot soup for a picnic ....  must the the UK :)  Enjoy it through the sniffles.

Dave
    interesting plan - but at least it is a plan rather than as you say just doing an "ad-hoc approach".  I maintained the every day approach even if I was only doing 2 miles a day - and look at me now - 4 miles a day :/!
    It all depends upon what you do on the on days for mileage - don't double your normal distance!

John
    ditto Dave's comment about Brighton................!!

Big mileage day today a smidgeon over 5 miles in 51:05 (10:09m/m) with avHR128 and a max of 137.
    Struggled if truth be told but controlled the uptick in HR to maintain a steady plod in brisk, cloudy and chill conditions but still out in tee shirt and shorts B)

queezing up to 25 miles for the week which is the highest since mid June when my hip exploded
  • Tracksters for the majority of time, TS! Plus gloves, long sleeved top and short sleeved top today. Just right. 53+k for the week, so 10 weeks in a row over 50 and 16 out of the last 19. Struggled a bit this week as the 16.1k took more out of me than say 14, plus not really recovering from the hill sprints or longer reps as quickly as I would like. As a consequence no MLR this week. Perhaps do indeed need to work to a ten day or two week cycle. Think things are going to change a little this week as am working four mornings which will be a shock as haven't worked since early March. 

Well done on the longer runs, TS and Birch! Just don't rush things as you build up!

Mine is the uni gym, Birch: very sensible precautions being taken but I do wonder how long it will remain open especially as it is right in the middle of the halls of residence area. 

Another one who can't believe yesterday's Brighton result! Son is a United fan and he felt United deserved nothing. Unfortunately I imagine that is what Leicester will get this afternoon.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse
    hope it doesn't get any colder for you - you may run out of wardrobe!!

That  is a  very good sequence of weekly mileages particularly as you are adding speed work in as well.

Work ...............

I have been very busy over the past months and just when I think it's going to ease off the phone rings and it's another client wanting me to look after another project.  It's very flattering but I need to make some decisions about the future quite soon.  I have been told I am not getting any younger....... ;)

As I peeled off my socks after the run this morning the left one had a blood soaked heel where the skin had split and the right one had a blood soaked toe where a nail had rubbed into an  adjacent one!!  Didn't really feel it when running but did in the shower!

Football eh ..............  grand larceny performed at  Spurs new stadium by the Toon - heh, heh, heh :)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - I'd feel the same as you - but, really, the "handball rule" is an utter farce  . . .
  • Thanks for the good wishes, although the vision of TS with a vibrator leaves me with a vision that is rather troubling!
    Just to say that I’ve ordered and now got some orthotics. I thought these were worth a try. Many years ago I discovered I had flat feet and that standing for any length of time was really uncomfortable. In the old days of standing on the terrace at a football match I’d have to find space to sit at half time.
    i had some orthotics but they were more uncomfortable than gong without and as with so many things in the decades that passed the problem just seemed to go away.
    However, I had heard that Achilles problems could be linked to flat feet, so thought it was worth trying orthotics again. Not custom made just ones on Amazon that had good reviews.
    So I just wondered if anyone else had used similar? They are a bit uncomfortable and I’ve not run in them yet but they do seem to help, so maybe worth a try? Thanks in anticipation.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    John,
    I have found heel gels help with the healing process. Just enough lift to take the pressure off but not enough to mess with your foot dynamics. My heel started to moan a bit last week so I put my pair in. Coupled with a calf massage immediately before I set out, my heel stopped moaning. I can probably take them out now but will leave it a little longer.
    The vibrator image is not a good one, but you know what they say about people from Yorkshire.

Dave,
    I watched the Spurs game and cannot believe the events at the end. The way the rule exists today that was the correct decision but it is damaging the game.

TS,
    I do not envy you having or choosing to work. The years ahead are too precious to waste so unless you really love what you do or you have no choice its Freedom 74. According to my Garmin watch, I am continually getting younger. The last time I looked I was 20.

A little warm today 25c but it is a rest day, so I confined myself to walking the dog along the trails. Tomorrow I am meeting up with the boys to run hills in a neighbouring town. A mixture of long and steep but I usually survive, thinking about the muffins and latte to follow.

Mick
  • Morning

Mick: I want to be 20 again;-) wonder if my watch does that.....enjoy the muffin and latte after hills today.

Dave: I like the plan and sounds like it has you fired up great news.......I love it when a plan comes together :)

Torque: I managed 27 miles last week as well you are doing well:-)I also noticed Garmin connect has adopted Mick's colour coding.....maybe Mick is moonlighting for garmin:-)

John: I have specially made orthotics after my arch collapsed do they help no idea but too afraid to stop using them.Does not stop Achilles flare up's.

Ale: Good luck working this week.Paula radcliffe always worked to a 14 day cycle and maybe it is the way forward for us all:-)

No run again today as full blown head cold so dosing up and hope it shifts soon.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Many thanks to Mick and WP, especially the letters reference to continuing Achilles issues whilst using the orthotics. Food for thought. I guess I need to run with them in and see how it goes.......
  • John
    I would counsel against using any orthotics that are not tailor made for your feet - and then I would counsel against using such orthotics unless there was a very clear and diagnosed need for them from someone without a vested interest in making them and charging you large sums of money.

When I had achilles problems in both legs some years back my physio recommended heel raises of the sort that Mick talked about.  They marginally reduce the stress on the achilles by shortening the length of travel and I wore them in both trainers and normal shoes.
    I also did a huge amount of remedial exercises building up to one legged raises/dips on the stairs with 15kg of weight in a rucksack on my back and eventually, and almost without noticing, the achilles pain disappeared.  I continued running but over reduced distances - oh and used the vibrator as well :)
    The latter was well suited to achilles issues as it comprised two vibrating heads about 15mm apart which fitted down either side of the achilles and so gave it a good going over!!

Mick
    no I don't have to work for the money but I do enjoy it, I have skills and a knowledge base which are in high demand and I am very well remunerated for what I do.
    I am not sure I could have survived the lockdown we have had here, and are likely to have again shortly, without the mental stimulation work gives me.

I have also seen far too many of my peers retire and soon after start to develop dementia/Alzheimer's for me to think that there is not some connection so I have kept going.  It's not 9 to 5 and I tailor my activities round what else I want to do

I shall have to check my Garmin as well - I could be 21 :)

Re football and handball.  Looking at the Dier incident again last evening his arm did move towards the ball even though he couldn't see it .  It's the old story of defenders making themselves "big" when trying to block a shot they know is coming in.  Amputation seems to be the only option!!

However alehouse will be happy with penalty decisions :D

Welshpoppy
    It's the picnics that must be doing it!!!
    You will soon be ahead of me in weekly mileage 

Nice autumn morning here. Temperature was 6C  but sunny and no wind so I braved tee shirt and shorts yet again and felt fine.

4 miles done in 40:23 (10:05m/m) with avHR 126 and a max of 141 -so quite pleased with that after yesterday's "longer" for me, run. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    really pleased to hear of a good couple of days running, TS - I take it without toe/heel issues ?  6C would have seen me in long sleeves & gloves, but no run today - exercise routine shortly !   

WP - good weekly total - hope the cold is soon banished . . . .   

Mick - I like "meeting up with the boys" ;  I meet "the lads" now and again (lads = men in mid 60's)  :)   

alehouse - re gym - had email today; opening next Monday, with booking system in place, and, obviously, Covid-secure environment.   

Dave
  • Dave

Not sure about university premises - they appear to be the current breeding grounds for Covid.
    A better solution would be to lock up all students for a month on campus and allow them to mingle. That way they all get it, have some resistance and then their student life can get back to normal ;)

haha - I also used to have a "lads night out" pre lockdown with guys nearly as old as me :)

Heel is a lot better thanks - I used my scourer to get rid of hard skin then my magic ( ie expensive!) cream to soften it up.
    Toe will need strapping as it continues to chafe which is a b*gger as the plaster will inevitably come off and find its way under my foot!

Hash trail to run solo tomorrow out in the country near B'bridge.  Should be nice and flat........................

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Penalties: no-one objected to Leicester's, not even Man City! On the other hand I really don't know how some decisions were made in other games this weekend. Sorry, didn't mean to mention Leicester. Harrogate seem to be going well. 

I'm with TS re work, says he who did 4 hours today for the first time since early March. Felt safe!

My uni gym seems safe, Birch, but the trouble is we don't really know what is safe and what isn't. 

I'm also largely with TS re Achilles and orthotics. And are the "inserts" to be worn in day shoes or running shoes or both. One consultant told me day shoes only, one said all shoes and a third threw the orthotics in the bin, so not a lot of agreement in the medical world! What does seem to be agreed is to put lots of weight through the Achilles to stretch is...and yes it is supposed to hurt when you do it!

Today was just over half an hour at an easy pace (but not easy effort): could have been lack of sleep, standing from before 8 until 12:45 or Saturday's "hard" efforts, and I will never know which. Followed by an afternoon working in the garden. 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    I too have a need for a lot of mental stimulation. My software development activities keep me reasonably happy. My drawing is another great distraction but I have neglected it of late. In the new house, I have a dedicated studio so that should get me back at it. I have also taken numerous Coursera courses ranging from software development, nuclear physics and music theory. They are generally of high quality and you can audit them for free or pay a small amount for a month's access.

Dave,
    I am still not ready to go back to the gym even if I am missing the weight work.

WP,
    It is easiest to see the VO2 max calculation in the Garmin Connect app if you have it on your phone or tablet. I have aged a bit I am 25 now.
    I am not sure I would be happy writing code to schedule and a spec. I enjoyed adding features to something I use most days, tweaking it just the way I want it.
    Good luck with the cold. I haven't caught a cold forever, I seem to prefer the shingles or the flu.

The weather has turned warm again, 26c today. It was a tough one in the sun, running hills over 8.9k.

The first climb wasn't too bad but the second big one, I started to overheat and was happy to see the finish. Very little shade on the course and not much of a breeze.
    We must be a sight, three old pensioners, gasping their way up a huge hill and pretending to be in their glory days.

Mick

• Mick
    so Canada will get the Bomb shortly  :)
    Your software development is almost a continuation of your career - except you don't get paid anymore!
    big increase in temperature for you recently - proper Indian summer - or can't we use that phrase anymore?

alehouse
    standing probably did it - it does for me too!!
    Gardening is in slow mode at the moment - grass needs less cutting and the borders aren't ready yet for cut back yet - and the leaves are yet to fall in  a big way!

Well it was kinda flat this morning - if you call a steady drag up on off-road lumpy footpaths for 3+miles flat - it only rose about 30m overall but it was all uphill to the top of Kirby Hill where a 19th century windmill is situated and then a mile downhill back to the start which I managed at 9m/m pace.
    overall 4.26 miles in 49 min (11:14m/m) with avHRc120 and a max of 137

easy run in lovely autumn sunshine - very peaceful and  a nice change from my normal routes and mile time checks etc - and 4+ miles to boot :)

• Mick: I think I am happy with cold rather than shingles or flu!Enjoy your Indian summer while it lasts as you have pretty bad winters with snow.

Rest day again but did go for a 3 mile hike so that is progress:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sounds pleasant, TS! As was my run: considerably better for an off-road run around two water parks linked by the Mersey following my morning of work. Did manage to take a tumble when failing to negotiate a style! Think I have got away lightly, just bruising one elbow. Good job that I had a long sleeved top on. Did wear shorts but no gloves! Beautiful day and I don't recall seeing so many people walking around the water parks. Interestingly when I moved to the area neither were there, both being created when the nearby motorway was constructed. Great places to run and I usually have them pretty well to myself. 
    An hour of stretches shortly! 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    I would most definitely prefer a cold. I am now armed as I have had the shingles vaccine and will get the flu vaccine as soon as it is available. I do NOT want a reoccurrence of a couple of years ago when I had both. 

TS,
    Lumpy footpaths sounds like my kind of run.
    When I do a Coursera course I like to access the enrolled student demographics. I did do some encryption and software security courses which were very powerful especially if you wanted to hack something or hide text messages from prying eyes. You can guess where most of the students came from, all the places where the terrorists come from.

No after effects from yesterday's hills, but I am planning another outing with the boys tomorrow. As they make me work harder than I do by myself, I think it may be prudent to take a rest day and watch Spurs instead. Of course I will have to walk the dog but that doesn't count as exercise.

Mick
  • Thanks for the additional orthotics contributions from TS and Ale. 

Meanwhile i’m deploying the old and trusted strategy of rest. Well, at least rest from pounding the pavement if not from training altogether. So the focus has changed......

Last year, and forgive me if I bored you this, I had a go at one of the cross fit community’s events, not that I actually competed against anyone. This one is known as The Murph, consisting of 

1 mile run

300 body weight squats

200 press ups

100 pull ups

1 mile run

I saw this in the Runners World magazine and wondered if it could be done. The  real nutters do it with a 10kg weighted vest. 

Anyway I had a go and recorded my time, which of course gives a target for any subsequent efforts. So this is my current focus. But I won’t be digging out that weighted vest.
  • John
    just to get this straight before I call you a nutter :)
    That is done as one continuous exercise workout without rest, only pauses when one gets tired in the exercises?
    BTW - you don't need a weighted vest - just use the haversack and the 10Kg weight I described for the achilles exercises ;)

Mick
    a friendly interpretation would be that they were going to use those skills to foment resistance within their own country.................
    Only cynical ol' gits would interpret it any other way!
    'Flu jab for me next week

Back to grey, breezy and overcast this morning.  We do all realise that Mick's fine weather is the cause of our nasty stuff as it interferes with the jetstream over the Atlantic?!

Anyway 4 miles done in 39:22 (9:50m/m) with avHR 128 and a max of 146 as I managed to bring the last uphill mile in under 10 min

Quite pleased to be back  on the right side of 10m/m but a long way to go....
  • Torque: I have flu jab next week as well!
    Nice pace and good to see you back in the 9's :)

Mick: Good luck with getting the flu jab soon.

Another rest day....sigh Asthma and head cold playing me up.....I am fattening up for Christmas it seems ...sigh
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    John,
    The Murph doesn't look like much of a rest to me.

WP,
    I don't make much of a patient, a lot of whoa is me and grumbling.

TS,
    Grey skys here too, with lots of rain overnight, but at least it was dry for my run.

Another run with the boys today although no time for coffee and muffins as one of them had to get back to work.

10:47 AM Wednesday, September 30, 2020
    Run Summary
     Comments -                         CP, felt strong.
     Weather data Carleton Place , Conditions - broken clouds
      Mean Temp =  15c,  Min Temp =  15c,  Max Temp =  15c  Humidity = 86%
      Mean Wind Speed = 0.89 kph,  Mean Wind Direction = 16
      Run Duration = 35:09,   Run Length = 5.69 Kms or 3.53 Miles
     Average  Run Pace = 06:11 per Km or 09:57 per Mile, Age grade =  60.8 %
     Average WHR = 73.7 %,  Max WHR = 87.3 %

Run Gait Analysis
     Average  Run Cadence = 85.5, Average stride length = 0.95 m
     Avg Vert Osc = 6.1 cms, Avg Vert Ratio =  6.2%, Avg GCT = 290 ms
     Avg GCT % = 41.4%, Avg GCT Balance = L51.4% / R48.6%
     GCT Balance in good range as a % of the total trackpoints = 23.3%

Hill Climb Summary using corrected elevation
     Number of hills found longer than 50m and > 2.0 % gradient =  1
     Total  Run Climb Elevation = 36.0 m, Max Elevation Difference = 11.0 m
     Longest Climb Gradient = 2.3 %, Climb Length = 329.0 m, Distance From Start = 2.5 kms
     Steepest Climb Gradient = 2.3 %, Climb Length = 329.0 m, Distance From Start = 2.5 kms

Lap Detail
      Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:44     1.0        0.6      06:44      10:51      59.0%     67.9%      85.0       0.87
    #02     06:18     1.0        0.6      06:18      10:09      68.7%     71.6%      86.0       0.92
    #03     06:08     1.0        0.6      06:08      09:52      76.1%     79.1%      86.0       0.95
    #04     05:52     1.0        0.6      05:52      09:26      78.4%     82.1%      86.0       0.99
    #05     06:10     1.0        0.6      06:10      09:55      79.9%     82.8%      84.0       0.97
    #06     03:57     0.7        0.4      05:45      09:14      83.6%     87.3%      86.0       1.01

Running Dynamics by Lap
    Lap    Avg Vert Osc     Avg Vert Ratio     Avg GCT       Avg GCT%           Avg GCT balance 
    01          5.5 cms               6.2%               306 ms            43.5%           L 52.3% / R 47.7%
    02          5.9 cms               6.3%               292 ms            41.7%           L 51.7% / R 48.3%
    03          6.2 cms               6.3%               285 ms            40.9%           L 51.3% / R 48.7%
    04          6.4 cms               6.3%               284 ms            40.5%           L 51.2% / R 48.8%
    05          6.2 cms               6.3%               289 ms            40.7%           L 51.0% / R 49.0%
    06          6.3 cms               5.9%               282 ms            40.4%           L 50.4% / R 49.6%

There you are the usual data dump.

When I first retired I used to share my software but I got too many requests for changes and fixes so I stopped posting it. I just gave it out to people who asked.
    I got an email yesterday from someone in the states who had an old copy of a programme I can't even remember writing but sure enough, when I checked my archives there it was.
    He was having a problem on win 10. He is a keen runner and I did enjoy our chats so I will resurrect it.

Mick
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    JB: I am not going out to buy a 10kg weighted vest! Or join you on the challenge! 

Again sound like decent runs, TS and Mick

221k for September (137 miles). Not quite up to August's kms but I did have 8 short speed sessions which probably affect things. 

Drizzling when I set off for my half an hour recovery run this afternoon: by the end I couldn't have been much wetter. Had been thinking of a short session but the legs, and weather, told me otherwise after yesterday's hour on the trails, followed by an hour of gym work, hence the legs didn't want to play! 
  • Mick, well it’s a sort of a rest. Or an opportunity to collect some more overuse injuries. At least it spreads the risk around more parts of the body.

Ale, I’d love the spur of competition, if you are up for it. The trick is to do 20 sets of 5/10/15 pull ups, press ups, squats. It’s not as hard as it initially sounds.
  • John
    oh well if it's that easy I won't bother doing it :)

Mick
    Pity you missed out on your rewards after the run - this work business does get in the way sometimes!

alehouse
    I thought you had typed "dazzling" at first :)
    Good monthly total with your faster work included.

I managed 87 miles which is an upward tick  - slightly.

It was dazzling here this morning with early morning low angle sunshine and wet footpaths after overnight rain but chilly as well at 7C.  I had thought about a long sleeved tee and had dug one out but persevered with the northern grit approach and it was fine in the sunshine.

4 miles done in 40:57 (10:13m/m) with avHR 125 and a max of 134 as I took it easy on stiff legs - in fact so easy I walked for 1 min after 3 miles!!
    Just felt I had done enough..............
  • early dentist appointment tomorrow 0830 so I may have a rest day - or maybe not if I can finish Teams meetings on line in good time!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    x-ray results came today.  Apparently I have 2 enthosophytes - "bony projections arising from a tendon".   Some "mild" degenerative change, and "some" fluid above the knee (possibly caused by the enthosophytes).  
    I've been referred to orthopaedics, so will have to await contact from there.  

Dave
  • Dave: I hope the orthapaedic appointment comes soon for you.

Still no running here and on steroids for 5 days as gone to chest! But I did do legs with weights and wheel of doom so it is something.

Miles for September...............56 my lowest ever mileage for a month:-( At least october has to be better than September.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression