Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Dave
    well said -good note to finish a carp year on - and one from which, despite various trials and tribulations, we are leaving unscathed.
    Enjoy your walk tomorrow - I guess you will now be in Tier 4 so make the most of any company.

The Ultraboosts are black all over - however I still have a box fresh set of Adizeros in brilliant yellow just waiting for the day when I am fast (and light!) enough to wear them :)

Thanks for providing me with the countdown to the GNR - time for a cunning plan..............

alehouse
    the snow gets trampled down so quickly on popular paths that it soon becomes a hazard rather than a pleasure to run on

Welshpoppy
    I suspect there will be no let up in conditions for a few days yet.
    Was your jab a Covid one?

Mick
    I hope you get some use out of your snow blower :)

Empty
    it's a fine line we tread on thyroid levels isn't it?  Plus the uncertainty about what is a normal level anyway for us individually as there is no personal historic data.
    As I said to my doctor - "there had to be something in my bodily make up that enabled me to run fast and maybe it was a super efficient thyroid function that was able to fine tune my body to react to stress?" 
    To which he replied "perhaps"!!!!!!
    Wow - you certainly have some longevity genes to fall back on there so make sure your pension pot is full :) . I do hope they get vaccinated quickly - can you get to see them at all?

Reminds me that, all being well, I have my 50th wedding anniversary next year.

Well, brilliant sharp sunshine this morning in a clear, frosty sky despite a -6C temperature and I successfully navigated 4 miles in 39:58 with avHR 124 and a max of 133 which looks a bit low even for me.
    Ran with a smile on my face - just pleased to me out on such a glorious morning

That concludes the years running - only 897 miles completed - disappointed to miss out on a round 900 but even if I had known before  I ran today I wouldn't have been able to do another 3+ miles so I'll let it be.

Hopefully 2021 will start a bit better than this year for me when I missed 20 days in January :/

Take care all - and a Happy New Year :)  
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Happy New Year NZC, for it is 2021 there I believe! 

I hope everyone has a better 2021 than 2020 turned out to be! I think 2020 has been a sharp reminder to us all of how fortunate that we are to get out there and run!

Mick: found my yaktrax! Not sure that I have ever used them before! Were useful today; thanks for the reminder. 

Brief summary below of 2020 where the aim was to cover 2020 kms and race well: the latter did not happen! 
    Today's 20 minute run (on snow and ice wearing yaktrax) brought up exactly 2103 kms for the year. Probably the highest for quite a few years. 366 days run, longest of which was 16k in September. Not got anywhere near that in the last ten weeks. The year started off badly with back and then hamstring issues; by Easter was training well but quite a deterioration from the week before October's biopsy and thereafter. Just about getting back into things but not had a 50 km week since October 18th. Before that I had 18 out of 21 weeks over 50: there's always next year. 
    No races, but 8 parkruns, none of which were raced.

2021 here we come! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    v.quick checkin -

8.5 miles walk on mainly testing terrain - legs now more tired than after 12 mile run !
    (more time on feet)?  beautiful bright, cold sunny morning - lovely jaunt . . .   

good to see your run was a smiling one, TS . . .   

740 running miles for the year - lowest in 35 years of recording; only the 2nd  <1,000  
     - -   previous lowest was 789 in the year I had knee arthroscopy.   1 parkrun (!)  (not raced)   

have a great evening, all - currently on beer #2 . . . .     

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ps - TS - somehow managed to remain in Tier 3 here in S.Yorks  . . . .    
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    pps - a message from us all    

Image may contain one or more people and meme text that says I THINK YOUNGSTERS NEED TO START THINKING ABOUT WHAT KIND OF WORLD THEY ARE GOING TO LEAVE FOR ME AND KEITH RICHARDS WILLIE NELSON
  • Sounds a decent walk, Birch!  Monochrome here all day! Colour photographs below! The Mersey and playing fields at the end of my road.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    wow - great pics !  👍
  • Great pictures!!

Empty: I hope you are able to run and no need for treadmill!
    Dave: What a great walk!

Torque: No it was my pernicious Anaemia.I think it maybe Easter if I am lucky to get the covid vaccine.
    Glad you had a good run and smiling is always good.

I have run 1859 miles this year which considering how awful the year has been with illness and achilles not too shabby at all.
    Another day with no outside running deep joy but i shall embrace I have a treadmill even if old and clunky and attempt a session on it.....no promises but i shall try as I want to start the year with a run.

Happy New Year and I hope a better year for us all!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    A quick happy new year to all from this occasional visitor. I can't catch up with all the posts I've missed but it's good to see the hard core posters still at it. I did read through some of the 2020 running summaries and impressive mileages have been chalked up (I've never recorded mine but I'd be surprised if I got over the 500 mark, slacker that I am).

I'm pleased to report that my Achilles problem has cleared up and that my knee is behaving itself. I'm now in a bit of decent form and have just kicked off 2021 with a 22.27 5K @ 75.41% WAVA (a recent birthday has helped!).

I hope you all stay safe, fit and well in 2021. Happy running!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Happy New Year

Alehouse,
    Great pics but the water is still not frozen!

WP,
    Great mileage, that's near enough to be called marathon training.

John,
    You are still churning out good AGs even if you cannot match WP in mileage.
    Are you still rowing?

TS,
    I really enjoy it when the air is brisk, the sun is shining and there is no wind chill, -6c can be great weather.
    Snow blower still sits in the garage unused but rumour has it we are to get a snow storm tonight so it could have its maiden voyage tomorrow.

This is the first time I have had no snow in January !!

Only -1c today so 6.3k done wearing only one layer.
    Mick
  • Happy New Year all :)

alehouse
    looks just like the scene around here - or at least until today!

Still great for you to hit your mileage target despite a number of setbacks - onwards and upwards hopefully in 2021

Dave
    that sounded a tough hike - running doesn't prepare one's legs for walking too much does it?

Welshpoppy
    that was an enormous mileage from you - well done!! I did read it twice to make sure it didn't say Km :)

John
    good to see you surviving in the deep south and still recording very good 5K times  - you know what I will say about your training :D

Mick
    you still have a long month for the snow situation to be remedied :)

After a quiet New Year's Eve - just the two of us and a nice meal and a couple of bottles of wine I awoke feeling slightly clear headed and set off for a run on a cloudy morning with a rising temperature that was rapidly melting the remaining snow but making hard work of the ice sheets on the paths - so it was the roads for me again as a I did 4 miles in 40:26 with avHR130 and a max of 148 
    I have to admit to raising my shambling pace over the last half mile as a runner came up behind me on the opposite side of the road and I attempted to keep him from an early new year victory!
    We were on a curve in the road and he had the inside of it so I was running further with each stride - held him off until I turned off for home :)

• ...  oh and Dave - Sheffield Wednesday are proving that you don't need a manager :)
  • Mick, I've not rowed for a few days. I've had a suspicion that it doesn't help my acid reflux problem. I've not heard anywhere that rowing can have this effect, but it's potentially a nasty condition so I need to be cautious. I don't miss it much.
    While I'm at it, I'll just wind up TS a bit more by recording a 22.12 (76.26%) 5k today. I know I'd be (deservedly) on the naughty step for two 'fast' runs on consecutive days. That's why I don't hang around this thread for too long! 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    JB - cracking 5K exploits - wish I had some of your speed !    

WP - great mileage - my total is a paltry 740 miles - not helped by the ongoing knee/quad tendon issues.   My lowest annual total in 35 years of recording . . . .   

TS - like the description - "slightly clear headed" is a more positive phrase than "predominantly fuzzy headed"    ;)  I like even more that "competitive TS" is still present ! 
    no New Year Day run here - legs felt very creaky after the walk (TS - you're right)!  , also , I too was only slightly clear headed , so a quiet day, including a low quality footy match - but yes, TS - another victory for the managerless Owls :)   Toon v Foxes tomorrow, I believe?   

Mick - did the snow arrive?   A few flakes have just started to drift down here.   

kicked off 2021 with a 5K trot today - intend further tomorrow.

Dave
  • Two 5k time trials on both days of the year so far, JB! Couldn't manage one, currently! Today's was quite nippy!

On a positive note I have run every day this year, also, with an easy run yesterday, and 67 minutes today to match what I now have to put into the age calculator! 

I note Wednesday's progress, Birch!
  • Many thanks Dave and Ale. Bubble will burst soon!
  • Out of interest, JB, which WAVA tables are you using? I use the Howard Grubb 2015 version which unfortunately seems to be less favourable than the 2006 or 2010 versions. 
    And take it easy. 

Amongst my birthday presents were a chest torch (thanks for the suggestion WP) and "Pilates for Runners", Harri Angell. M75 friend lent me a copy and well worth having my own!
  • I can do the miles when body plays nice but not fast at all.it is usually around that number I do try to aim for 2,000 miles but never make it :)

Dave: you did well with your miles with the knee problems well done. :)  enjoy run today.

Happy Birthday Alehouse:Hope the chest torch is useful.drinks are on you them;-)

John: Nice fast 5k's!!

Torque: Great battle and nice to see you winning great start to 2021 :) 

Mick:No snow and 1 layer you are warmer up there.

Treadmill yesterday  and ice again today I will forget what outside running is like!  here till Wednesday unless we get a warm snap!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    The snow arrived, not a lot 3 or 4 inches, but enough for me to take a maiden voyage with the snow blower, definitely a skill to be acquired.

WP,
    It may seem unbelievable but I am further south than you.

John,
    Wow you are putting us to shame with these AGS.
    Well it is good to hear that you are still rowing because it gives me the excuse to bore you with the output of my new software.
    Today was a cross training day so 5k on the rower.
    Todays effort was 22:42 and felt hard on the last 500m.
    Comparing the numbers against three previous efforts.

You can see all very similar as averages for the row.
    The HR profile shows the same characteristic, ie an anerobic workout.

Today's row was the green one so slightly better.

If I compare the power per stroke distribution of today's row with my PB on my new rower to can see a clear difference.

The green one, today's row, has a much flatter distribution where as the PB has a more consistent power delivery at a higher power level so something to remember when I am rowing.
    Ok that should have put yo all to sleep.

Mick
  • John
    another cracking time :)

well Seb Coe did vey little mileage and nearly all high intensity workout stuff and he did ok - but that was over 800 & 1500 m only.
    To use an old analogy - you are squeezing the tube of toothpaste in the middle - if you want to get it all out you have to start at the bottom and work your way up the tube :)

Dave
    could be the new way to go  - "slightly clear headed"  :)
    Walking, certainly at the pace that Mrs TS adopts, is quite painful to me as I have to modify my stride so much.  Still I don't have to overcome a replacement knee and another one that needs doing!

mmm   Toon v Foxes - both sides like to counterattack - one through necessity and one through organised tactics and with more players adept at doing it. :/   Could be a dullfest...............

alehouse
    Good streak this year.............. :)

Welshpoppy
    enjoy the wallpaper!

Mick
    interesting that your rows produce such different profiles in terms of power range when the other inputs are very similar
    Don't know enough about rowing to comment further other than in Olympic events the stroke rate often goes up to high 30's when the sprint is on!!

Drizzle turned to sunshine this morning which meant I couldn't see the ice lurking under the surface water in places!

5.2 miles covered in 52:20 (10:08m/m) with av HR 132 and a max of 144 - not  pushing it.

To borrow alehouse's numerics - it was my longest run this year :)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good session, TS - reasonable pace, too, given "not pushing it"

tricked myself into 11 miles this morning.  Was a bit undecided, so set off and did a few loops of park, then thought I'd drop down to where my daughter and her training buddy were doing a session around a 1 mile loop (very non-scenic, but they decided last evening on this venue, when uncertain of suitably runnable surfaces).  As it turned out, temps of around 4c , and lower ground, meant paths fine.  3 loops of this whilst N & B zipped by  :/
     - I then had an uphill return. By now, I'd been thinking of matching my longest "post knee thing" run of 12 miles, but had just ticked past 10 when I got back to the park, and legs saying "enough", so sensible hat came out, and a couple of laps brought a satisfying jaunt to a close at 11.2    Walked the 5 mins home.   As a footnote (literally) - the walk the other day gave me a bruised and sore right big toe, and its now telling me it disapproves of this morning's pounding!  :)   

TS - 1st half lived down to your prediction !!    

Dave

• Dave
    well that has given your New Year totals a boost!
    Liked the way you tricked your your mind/body into running that distance :)  I have sometimes used that technique myself setting out pretending to run say 5 miles and then add bits on 

Don't like the idea of youngsters zooming past on a regular basis..............

Yeah - I'm a real Nostradamus when it comes to football.............. :/

0C this morning when I went out - black ice everywhere on the paths so it was roads again as I did an easy 4.11 miles in 42:34 (10:22m/m) .  HR info at avHR 113 and a max of 122 looked dodgy  particularly as I appear to have beefed up over the holiday period despite some good miles and now stand at 15 stone 4 lbs - it may have just been muscle increase ;)
  • I won't mention the football,TS...

Nice long run, Birch!

Very icy here as well. Had planned 50 to 60 minutes with my M75 neighbour but he cried off at the last minute. I should have listened to him or waited and gone out later. Just over half an hour on the off road parkrun course at the end of my road: unusually icy and had it been a parkrun (remember those?) it would have been off. 
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Mick, that's very exhaustive data. Rowers are data monsters, far more than runners. Not me though: It's taken me 6 months just to work my drag factor! In a head to head we might be close over 5K but Id have t be at the top of my game to keep up with you. Right now (just had my first row for a couple of weeks) I'm using the rower without the straps; it puts less strain on back and Achilles but it plays hell with your times!

Ale, yes I use Grubb too. I know that the AG formula used for Parkrun is a bit more forgiving. For some reason I much prefer the latter!

TS, like the toothpaste analogy.

Just had confirmation of my entry into a rescheduled 10K. It's now on 13th June. Surely events will be on by then? They will, won't they? Please?
  • alehouse
    nothing much to talk about..................

Roads were clear here but footpaths were like glass - our runs probably did not add much to the respective  fitness banks!

John
    ...  but what sort of toothbrush do you use :)?

I suspect that 13 June may be a bit too early particularly now that the Cockney Covid variant is wreaking  increased infection havoc.
    Indeed I wonder whether the GNR in September will be on as well - a lot has to change before then!
  • good morning all :)

a  bit warmer here today so no ice to contend with apart from a few north facing hilly bits so 4 miles done in 40:48 (10:12m140/m) with avHR of 130 and a max of 140
    Quite hard work for me despite the leisurely pace and HR

So another lockdown - can't see it affecting my behaviour much - other than the hair will grow again :)

I have to go for more blood tests at the end of January - maybe they will Covid jab me at the same time?
  • Afternoon!

Just over an hour here, but despite some dappled sunshine very icy in places where tip-toeing was required. I stopped the watch for those bits of course. Looks like a reasonable outing today, TS

Have managed to lose all three of my jobs overnight, which was very careless of me! My four mornings of teaching have obviously gone (paid on a supply basis), exam marking almost certainly won't happen, and supervision of students on teaching experience for the uni is also a non-starter. Could be worse: I could be a student teacher unable to get any experience. Don't see how they can qualify. Anyway, the important thing is to stay safe.

Didn't see many people on my run, and the few who I did see were on their own or in pairs, except for a group of three elderly female hikers (yes, even older than I am).

Had been thinking of re-introducing some faster stuff soon, but have decided against it: doubt that there will be any races in the first half of the year, at best, and also don't want to impact on the immune system. Back to base building. 

Will be interesting to see how quickly the vaccine can be rolled out: 13 million by mid Feb seems a stretch. That's about 6 weeks so over 2 million a week and that is just for the first jab. Will there be capacity to manufacture the vaccine and the systems in place to deliver it? Seems unlikely. On a personal note I wouldn't mind having my first jab before I go in for my prostate treatment, not that I know when that will be. Hospitals have always seemed unhealthy places!

Spurs this evening, Mick

And wonder how things are in NZ, NZC.
  • Ale, that's quite an achievement, losing 3 jobs in one day but as you (rightly) imply, we are at the right end of the age spectrum in terms of opportunities lost. You are, like me, a former full time teacher/lecturer I assume? My role in education has shrunk a little each year since 60 to the point where I now barely leave a footprint. (Some would say that the previous 35 years wasn't a great deal more impactful.) Mrs JB used to be a headteacher and since she retired I don't think a day has elapsed in which she hasn't thanked her lucky stars to be out - especially with the Covid nightmare. Good luck with the prostate treatment; I think I might be next in the queue.

TS, I can't quite see you with a hippy-dippy hair style. 

I'd normally go in the car to the prom today to bomb up and down it as fast as my little legs would carry me. But, I'm taking heed of our beloved leader's strictures and staying local. So I did a few minutes jog up to one of my previous training locations: a cemetery. This has a smooth, tarmac, circular path - a little bit undulating but no-one's perfect - that serves as a track. It's 250 metres so a nice round (and round and round) 20 laps gives me a 5k. 

The good news: 21.55, giving me a WAVA north of 77%.
    The bad news: despite the Garmin telling me it's 5k, I'm convinced that the spirit world intervenes and that it's short. So I'm not counting it. Which is a shame, because running around in circles 20 times should bring some sort of reward!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    JB - count it! (we promise not to snitch)!   Love the training venue - can we now regard you as the Ed Whitlock of the South Downs ?  

alehouse - I think I'd be hoping to be jabbed first, in your situation.  Nice hour's jaunt, notwithstanding the tiptoeing  . . .    

TS - "quite" hard not so bad :)  perhaps a bit like "slightly" clear headed  ;)   and

let's hope the GNR and all events back by Sept - was tentatively considering looking for an Autumn HM myself, now I'm back to regular(ish) double digit runs . . .    

I wouldn't mind turning legs over a bit more quickly too, but as per alehouse, maybe more steady work is the way to proceed for now.

Poppy?    

Dave
  • I have not run since Friday which was treadmill and feel pretty awful but have walked every day.Today is first day with no ice.It is asthma related so hoping it starts to pick up soon.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression