Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Also we have regular bus service 3 an hour at end of road 1/4 mile away to town which is 6 miles away.It is a place I never go the place we go for shopping is may 4 miles away but not suitable for walking.So i would have to get bus to town and another bus to village 15 miles in total and do the same on return so 30 miles to go 4 miles from home.Not been on a bus in 12+ years.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    x post!
    Double sessions - those were the days :)!!
    I suspect it may mean two sets of wet clothing by close of play.

Welshpoppy
    you are having a rough time of it - take it easy or you will set yourself back a lot.

It was dry when I left home - hence no Gortex!

The last time I was on a bust was when I was visiting a project in Southampton  4 years ago.
    I used to fly down, walk out of the terminal and onto a bus that took me to the site in 30 minutes.
    Of course this was far too convenient for me and the bus service was cancelled after two trips and I had to hire a car for the journey!!

I have another project currently running on the same site and I now do my site visits remotely  via a webcam!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    TS - no double!  It's just over a mile down to the loop, and as N's session will be 50 mins, that could be 5 miles for me, if I keep trotting for the whole time, so 7+ by the time I get home.   

anyone here do trebles?  I occasionally used to, mainly in marathon training; when on 12 hours day shift I'd be out by 5:40 am, 6 miles steady loop to work (45 mins back then) shower & ready to work by 7am, 6 at lunchtime (sometimes fartlek) - we had a 1.5 hr break, as 12 hours shift, so again, time for shower/lunch, then "route one" back home (3 miles) after work, so minimising time away from home.  Luckily I had shower & clothes storage locker, so kept shoes/trousers there, took shirts in on my days off, carried socks/underwear/sandwiches in backpack.   

WP - love your warrior spirit, but as TS says - take care !  :)   

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Oh to be able to doubles, never mind trebles, Birch! One day, when I'm older! 

Very wet here: the Mersey monitoring station nearby has a highest ever recording of 6.96 meters. Currently at 6.89. 3000 people are on standby to be evacuated; fortunately although I am closer than most to the river there is a steep slope before my road. A comparatively small problem in comparison but I am going to struggle to run on any of my usual routes. 

Anyway, around half an hour in strong winds and heavy rain looking for somewhere to run: managed to get on the river bank but can't see that happening for a while. Looks like I will be forced onto the roads. We'll see. 

Not mentioning football, TS.

And lots of buses here which I was using a few times a week... before the first lockdown changed things. And still nowhere near as many as a few years ago.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    one of the ironies we have now, alehouse - lots of time to train, but legs less willing !

I'll mention footy - impressed with your boys last evening, alehouse !
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    still pouring here - but forecast says "light rain" 4pm - 8pm . . .   so hope it eases in the next hour
    No description available   
  • I think we have enough points to stay up, Birch!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    The weather you are all getting is awful, I think I will stick with my cold and snow.
    Light and laser treatment for nerve damage and pain is well established. It provides stimulus and energy to the cells surrounding the nerves and this encourages healing and growth. I am going in for another treatment today and then one more on Friday and that should be it.

Cross Training today so another 5k on the rower.

I increased the drag factor a little and the row seemed a bit more comfortable.
    Not much different from the last workout.

Stroke rate down a bit but power up. Subjectively it felt easier.
    It will soon be time to try to get into the top three in Ontario.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    weather gods smiled - rain eased just before I left; a short squall during the laps, but a sting in the tail as heavy rain returned as I slogged back up the hill.  8.11 miles on the watch (8 in the diary).
  • Should be 8.11 in the diary, Birch! Those little bits all add up! And well done!

The route I ran earlier is now under a couple of feet of water...
  • alehouse
    agree with your comment about time to train :/!

And also about Dave not recording mileage accurately!

Swimming trunks/wet suit today?

Dave
    I got your days mixed up - hence the double reference
    8.11 miles mid week is very good going. Record it properly!
    Never did treble sessions but used to do doubles quite often - track session at lunchtimes and a longer run in the evening.
    Track sessions .................  aaahhh- those were  the days my friend, I thought they would never end :/

Mick
    you could first of all baffle them with your software development and then, while they are spending time trying to work it all out, blast past!

A novel mix of rain, sleet and snow on a driving, gusty wind made for interesting conditions this morning as I ploughed round through puddles and fallen branches on my 4 miles in 40:46 and avHR130 with a max of 143

Did my legs feel slightly less knackered than yesterday or was I just concentrating more  on staying upright and didn't notice as much??

• Dave: That was a great 8.11 miles record it as it is .Those little bits add up over the year!

Torque: Strange weather for your run well done on getting it done on less tired legs.

I ran 6.1 miles this morning so that was a big improvement with miles legs still have no power on hills so although HR was low 138 the pace was slow as a tortoise.The only way is up.

Oh those were the days I always did doubles no tiredness just bags of energy. :'(

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Thought that I had posted earlier! 

Take it easy, WP! And glad that you managed a reasonable run in the interesting conditions, TS!

Not so wonderful here! As you know the water levels are high here: even the national news featured a few of my routes and will probably show another one as the PM visited this morning. However it was not the flooding that curtailed today's run but ice. Could barely stand up in places so turned round after on k and called it a day. The overnight snow had thawed, plus the damp surfaces anyway so combined with a big drop in temperature it was treacherous. Increasingly looking like a cut back week. 

Stretches later!
  • Welshpoppy
    on hills indeed the only way is up :)
    6+ miles after being wiped out was probably not out of the sensible training regime handbook.

alehouse
    the precursor of doom - a visit from the PM!
    Sounded pretty hideous out there -at lest I was spared the ice underfoot.

Just got my vaccination letter through - appointment booked for 1 February. Took me about 8 goes to get it booked as, despite the website saying slots available on various dates and times, each time I tried to close out the booking it would then say all taken and I had to start again from scratch.
    Very frustrating - there was obviously a delay between real time booking and the actual appointment system as the first date I chose was tomorrow!!
  • At least you have an appointment, TS! Shame it isn't tomorrow though!

Photo taken just before one o'clock of the end of my road/sports fields/river/allotments etc. Water had gone down by about 1.5 metres by the time the photo was taken. Apparently you couldn't work out where the river was from earlier drone photos. May be a day or two before I can run that way!
    My house is around ten houses in along the road at 45 degrees. 

• I thought that was the river in the foreground until I saw the buildings and rugby posts sticking out of it!!

Snow melt and high tide to come......................
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - I'd take that as a good outing, given the gusts & underfoot conditions!  

WP - well done!   

alehouse - wise move; no ice here, thankfully.  That "lake" looks too close for comfort . . .

had a text later last evening from a friend I'd not seen for some time  (she's been injured), suggesting meeting for a run this lunchtime, so we agreed to each drive 2 miles to a meeting point.  So, after yesterday's talk of "no issue" doubles , my legs told me in no uncertain terms they weren't happy to be cranked into action just 18 hours after an 8 miler (or, if you prefer, 8.11)   ;)    Still, good to catch up - we sedately completed 4.5 miles on tarmac  (didn't fancy slipping around on the trails) -  about 1.5 miles more than was comfy for the legs, but it's done and recorded now !   

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    I will resist the temptation to talk about webbed feet, how about a pair of gills, have you checked behind your ears lately.
    TS,
    The UK is doing well on the vaccination front, it is so brave of you to act as guinea pigs for the rest of the world. Current estimate for my vaccination is September, well at least I am told I will have my offer of a vaccine by then.
    WP,
    Don't be too hard on yourself, 6 miles is a long way.

I ran with the boys today. 7.4k done on snow covered roads. Two of us had Yaktraks on and two without. The difference was dramatic. I, unfortunately, had forgotten mine and will probably pay for it tomorrow.
    We start and finish our run next to a large construction site. We discovered that it is for a large retirement home. You can just imagine what the conversation was like on the run, but they did promise to come and visit me after their runs.

MIck
  • Before and after photos: i.e. what it should look like but doesn't!

• Dave
    yup that recovery time cannot be underestimated.
    still a very good back up to your 8.11 miles - there will be some benefit down the road

Mick
    caught out without your Yaktraks!!
    So you have got your next move already planned :) ?

Yes - I will boldly go where no one has gone before.  I wonder if all those idiots who refuse to wear masks will also refuse to get the vaccination?  It may reduce the Trump supporters by quite a bit if they do

alehouse
    looks like a sensible example of not building on a flood plain
    Even the golf course gets hit!

Some of your conditions this morning - icy pavements, very slippery indeed so I ran on roads most of the way just to get some grip.
    4 miles in 4053 (10:19m/m) with avHR128 and a max of 142  - felt a little easier despite the conditions underfoot - not quite as desperate.

Been a hard week so far but still just on schedule as long as I can make my planned slightly longer run on Sunday
  • Yes, you seem to certainly be on schedule, TS!

Started off icy here so run will be delayed until this pm. Now pouring though, despite the dry forecast.
    The buildings in the photos are the sports club. Everything except the entrance is at least 1.8 metres above ground level... which was not enough on this occasion!
  • Just under 50 minutes in surprisingly decent weather and surprisingly dry under foot...once I had devised a few diversions! Snow due in a couple of hours and ice overnight may mean a later run again tomorrow. 

And Jamie Vardy is out for around six weeks I understand. 
  • We have ice and looks like snow and ice tomorrow, looks like Monday best day for a run so far.... :'(
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    surely an opportunity there, for "Mick's Personal Training for Seniors" . . . .    

good one avoiding the ice, TS - enjoy your day off, recharging for Sunday . . .  

seems you were rewarded for your wait, alehouse;  yes, bad news re Vardy - and with similar news re DeBruyne, the red half of Manchester may sense an opportunity . . .   

have a good weekend, WP - disappointing re the likely conditions preventing runs, but instead of umm'ing and ahh'ing whether to go, at least you have certainty, and hopefully a fresh start on Monday.

took a rest day today - a briskish 40 mins walk with 3 reps of a flight of steps enroute :) 

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    11.08 miles this morning - drove to a different industrial estate (where N & buddy training).  Very cold (had to scrape car), but no ice on the paths at the location.  Quite a few runners around - all adhering to distancing (mind you, there is a police HQ in this estate).  Mainly sedate, but inserted some effort in places to get the heart and lungs noticably working !   

Dave
  • Dave :It does not stop me checking outside every morning :) looking like Tuesday at the moment.

Nice distance today you have built up nicely and injecting pace as well.

I just tried walking to end of street and to come back  like glass out there.So indoor exercise was done earlier on.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Looks like a decent run, Birch!

I fear that my streets will be like yours tomorrow unless I leave it until late: heavy snow all morning so was forced to watch the cricket plus do my stretches. Sun then came out and there was a rapid thaw, leaving lots of slush and puddles. Around 40 minutes of paddling, finding diversions and enjoying myself!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    maybe a pair of yaktraks, WP?   :)    

nice splashing, alehouse - I'm glad you kept this latest snowfall on your side of the Pennines!   

just poured a cold one here . . . . .   
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    From your comment, I see you would fit well into our group.
    Find those extra miles.

Alehouse,
    The lack of Vardy is good news for Spurs, now all they have to do is beat Wycombe. I went to school in High Wycombe and would regularly run passed the old stadium. I have been to the new stadium a few times so torn loyalties.

WP,
    Maybe time for the treadmill.

Dave,
    Definitely should add you to our running group. Now how do you define very cold.

I took a day off yesterday and took the dog for a 5k walk along the trails. The snow mobiles had flattened the snow nicely so we managed it well, me with my long legs and she with her short ones.
    A beautiful day here today, that came with a little snag, -24c wind chill. If you have never run in that kind of temperature I would suggest it is best done when you are young.
    As I am not young I decided to cross train so 5k done on the rower.

A new PB since acquiring my new rower, 21:56.
    I even moved up a place in the Ontario rankings.

As you can see I have a ways to go to get into third place, but progress is progress.
    So John if you are out there, a new target for you!!!!

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ah, I detect a raised eyebrow in Mick's "cold definition" comment!  -2c according to car display, so not that cold for you, Mick :)   

I confess I usually just "skim" the graphs and charts, but ranking ones aren't in that category, so I like the "Rower Rankings" - and a podium place is a nice goal !  

talking Wycombe, I've a soft spot for The Chairboys ever since the final game of 2011/2012 League One season - my team needed a win for auto promotion, Wycombe needed victory to have chance of survival. The Owls triumphed 2-0, but the Wycombe supporters remained, crammed into their corner of Hillsborough, to applaud the Wednesday team on the "lap of honour".  Classy stuff !   

talking Wycombe part #2  - used to have friends there , so 1995 saw me participate in the Half Marathon - here's me finishing on Wycombe Rye - not sure about the colour clash with the kit - I normally wore black shorts . . . .  

Dave