Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Well done Birch!

Very much a going through the motions day. Just in under 45 minutes. Dry but a day when the cold wind was against all the way. Says feels like minus 3 but I doubt that. Don't envy Mick's temperature. 

But do envy Newcastle's 3 points. Only saw the first half as had delayed my run. TS will be nearly as happy as the manager!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Definitely an older runner thing, I too like the comfort of lots of clothing on my cold runs. Gone are the days I would go out in -25c and think it not bad.

alehouse,
    wow -3c it must have been shorts weather.

I could not face another row indoors so I met up with one of the boys and we went for a run of 7.6k. It was -13c with a windchill of -19c but it was bright and sunny and we enjoyed ourselves.

Mick
  • I rarely wear shorts, Mick! And certainly not below about 12 or 13 degrees. 

Another 45 minutes largely off road. Cold, but the wind has dropped compared to yesterday. Brought up 213km/132 miles for January. Actually the highest January for a while as have managed to be injured at some point during the last three!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dave
    well done on your industrial excursion - and the mind games as well keeping your target hidden from the body until too late for it to complain :)
    Certainly deserve a sofa after that

I find I use less clothes nowadays - overheating is more of a problem that chill.  Or it may be the ones I wear nowadays are very effective at retaining heat.
    very fine Merino wool base layer seems to keep all the heat in I need and all I do is couple it with a one of two Mizuna tops of double weave fabric and a pair of tights and good to go.  When it gets a bit warmer I just use a tee short over the base layer or if wet it becomes the Gortex jacket as a top layer.

Mick
    It's the wind chill that you get that sets you apart.  We rarely get strong winds and cold at the same time.
    Good that you got some sunshine :)

alehouse
    well done on getting out and a good monthly total to boot. Baseline conditioning during winter brings reward later - hopefully!

Yes 3 points very welcome but the overall performance was encouraging. Amazing what happens when players are in their preferred/best positions!

Contingencies - pah -  who needs em?!!

Woke up at 0430 yesterday with a severe pain in my lower jaw which got worse.  Couldn't get back to sleep with the pain, so got up, reluctantly took some painkillers and mooched around the house as sitting down doing nothing seemed to intensify the pain.
    A look in my mouth revealed a massive white strip of nastiness along the lower back teeth and a miserable day ensued and an even worse night despite more painkillers and applications of an ulcer remedial concoction.
    Suddenly at about 0300 this morning the extreme pain went - either the ulcer had burst or the tooth nerve had burned out!  Left with a sore and stiff mouth.

Ironically I have a dental appointment on Wednesday immediately after my bloods so he will have something to do!!

So no run day today and just as well I had got my contingency runs in to meet the mileage target earlier in the week - PPPPPP :)

So the month ground to a halt on 108.66 miles ............
  • Torque: Blimey glad you are out of pain and you got the miles you wanted well done! Good luck with dentist!

Dave great work on your run!! nice miles.

I have found the older I get the less I wear.I have lots of long legged tights some fleecy lined and I would always wear them.Past 4 year not worn any of them I have an internal furnace so I wear my skort, short sleeved top then long sleeved top on top which usually comes off in first few miles.I do have hat and gloves hat stays on but gloves come off.

yesterday another 4 miles all done.Today it was snowing but it seemed to be really heavy and unsure which way it would go so opted to come home after half a mile to be safe.But did a Body project workout with weights.

We had ONS come as we are part of the group to be studied for Covid19 4 more weekly visits then once a month for a year.Did not like swab in your mouth!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    pleased you got outside, Mick !

alehouse - great month - is it time to recommence the 16 point plan?  

TS - ditto for your month - but the jaw/mouth "thing" sounds most unpleasant - let's hope your dentist can resolve . . .    

WP - wise move today - "body project" sounds interesting !   

decided on a rest day today - I'd considered a 3 miler to back up yesterday, but legs just felt slightly battered, so settled for some stretches and a short walk .   Just 82 miles for January.   

Dave
  • Another fleeting visit from me. Nothing much to report really. The bug I had took a bit out of me, but pretty much over it now. Still fighting fierce winds along the seafront and still (sorry TS) addicted to 5ks. 
    Managed to dip under 50 for 10K yesterday for the first time this year. I'm pleased to see the back of January, although compared to many (on here) the weather has not been too bad.
    I'm also pleased to report a very good win for my soccer team over Spurs yesterday: our first home win since 1907 (well it seems that long).
    Alehouse: I had to postpone my blood test because of the bug but had it last week and am awaiting the outcome. Hope all is well with you - and of course everyone!

• John Bateman - you are running well.

So much talk of snow, ice and flooding. It has been very hot here and no rain but we really need it.

As Alehouse said - I did my 100th parkrun the other day - we are very fortunate that life is pretty good here in NZ though I don't know when any overseas travel will be on the cards. 

I struggled through a half marathon a few weeks ago and did 15km on Sunday but I am still mostly walking about 5km each day.

Stay safe and well everyone.
  • All sounds good, NZC! Could do with some of your weather! 

Just under 80 minutes largely off road this morning. Found the last k hard work. The soggy banks were frozen but perfectly runnable.

Birch: faster running will have to wait! Too cold for one thing, plus also have some treatment coming up which will not help! Off to The Christie shortly for more details.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    Very hot and no rain, ok I will trade, -26c windchill when I got up this morning but only about 6 inches of snow on the garden.

alehouse,
    Frozen soggy banks that are runnable, mmm

Yes a nippy one today but I had to get out as "The boys" issued a Garmin Connect challenge for February. I managed 8k without getting frost bite so it put me in the lead position, of course we are not competitive.

Mick
  • Can’t let Mick get away with this tough guy of the north act - view outside this morning

• So were you in shorts, TS

As I mentioned the other day I had to go to The Christie...
    Some may know that I had treatment for prostate cancer in 2013; unfortunately that has returned so I will be having further brachytherapy (radiation seeds are implanted in the prostate). Can't say that I am looking forward to it! Running may well be at a minimum for a while...
  • Oh Alehouse I am really sorry to hear this and I hope the treatment works for you.Will keep you in my prayers.

Nice snow pictures torque

yesterday 4.2 miles all looking good with 2 10mm not seen 10's for a while.
    Then today I felt awful headache, sore throat,aches and runny nose so think a cold though where I got from! so hoping an easy day today will help.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • NZC
    i would stay at home for now - isolation is good!
    well done on your 100 park runs - and slipping in a HM :) 

alehouse
    hope you you got some good news yesterday - you need it after the Leeds result which has got all their supporters gloating at me

John
    not more 5Ks :) 
    i did once train for a marathon on short high intensity runs during the week owing to work/family pressures and a longer one at the weekend - it didn’t end well :/

Dave
    sensible hat on well done

hard 3.5 miles through fresh snow this morning and then had to clear drive to make sure I could get a car out to go for jabs this pm - hopefully the roads will have been cleared by then. All appointments were cancelled this morning
  • sorry alehouse - you popped in between posts.

Bugger - that's bad news.  Hope the therapy works this time and you get an all clear. Fortunately you have one of the best facilities on your doorstep for such treatments.

Not quite shorts this morning but I was quite snug in Gortex and my thicker base layer Helle Hansen 

Could have done with Mick's snow blower for the drive though!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    big snowfall here, so I may award myself another rest day (from running) - I'll go for an hour walk later.    Glad I did a 3 miler yesterday (usually rest Monday, but did so on Sunday) 

alehouse - what WP said  . . .    

WP - encouraging run there - hope the symptoms go away . . . .   

TS - good work all round this morning !  

nice to see Mick shoot to the top of the leaderboard !   

Dave
  • Welshpoppy
    ... and then I missed your xpost!
    oh bad news on the cold front.  As you say where could you have caught it with all this isolation - unless your ONS visitors brought it in?

Dave
    thought you might get it as well :)

Roads were thankfully cleared by this afternoon so we both got jabbed. Absolutely no problems - all very well organised and due to the bad weather and folk cancelling  there was no waiting at all - in/out including obligatory sit down afterwards in 30 minutes!!
  • Alehouse, so sorry to hear this, mate. Good luck with the treatment. And thanks again for encouraging me to get the test; the results came back today with 'no further action'.

TS look away: an SB for the dreaded 5k today at 22.04. Inching towards the 80% WAVA of my aspiration but at 76.72% still a long way (with much pain) to go. I'd need to find another minute off today's to get there. That's a lot.

Mick, have not rowed with straps for a long time so blasted out a 2K yesterday with them - 8.48.5. Perhaps 'blasted' isn't quite the right word for that outcome!

• ... just have to go at 0830 for bloods tomorrow at my doctor's and then onto dentist.  I can just about do the doctor's surgery as a run if the snow returns - might be a bit sweaty for the dentist!!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Not the sort of news you need, the very best with it. You are fit and strong so the force will be with you.

WP
    What is a mere cold to a warrior of the Welsh.

TS,
    Glad to hear you got your shots. Things are moving out here, the end of the year is getting more and more likely.
    I don't like the sound of what's going on in your mouth, hopefully you'll get it sorted quickly.

John,
    Great SB.
    All you need to do is keep that row up for 22 minutes and you can give me a row for my money.

Dave,
    My glory didn't last long even though I ran 6.5k today in the snow. I'm now in 2nd place by 200m.

Snow storm forecast overnight so unlikely to be able run but will be able to play with my snow blower for real.

Mick

• Not good news Alehouse but it sounds like you are on to it and hopefully get it sorted quickly.

Nice work John Bateman - 80% is hard to achieve - keep on trying.

Beautiful snow pics Torque Steer

Easy 6km walk for me today - still very hot here. Jogged 5km yesterday.
  • Mick: you will be happy to know this warrior is fighting back :-)

Torque: Did you run to the blood appointment........vampire :)

Dave:How is the snow?

I ran 4 miles this morning which is progress but wiped out so still not right but fighting back.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • John
    well you know how to get that minute off don't you - I have told you before :)
    Well done on that current status anyway - and good news about your check up results.

Mick
    now if you put your Garmin on whilst marching up and down with your snow blower.................. extra miles :)

NZC
    Thanks - it's easy when the weather obliges
    Too hot!! Not something that can be levied here just now....

Welshpoppy
    getting wiped out is not pleasant - or entirely productive if you are bug ridden. Take care.

No blood run for me this morning - there was freezing fog, ice underfoot on the paths so I drove. 
    As this is a cut back week anyway it would appear I have timed it rather nicely.

I did a  Tony Hancock and would not readily release a flow of blood for the samples so I have a pin cushioned arm.
    Dentist has a root around and stuck more needles in me and then cleaned out thoroughly along/beneath the gum & tooth line and injected some antibiotic gel in where he could. 
    He said it's down to getting old - receding gums etc - but felt he shouldn't say that as he had spotted me the previous day running through the snow on his way to the surgery and he had chickened out for going for a run earlier that morning!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good battling, WP 👍  

TS - hm, I hope that aspect of ageing evades me !   

Mick - I'm sure you'll recoup the 200m . . .    

snow reduced to slush - heavily raining now, so hopefully gone by morning.  3 miles around the (mostly clear) park paths today.    

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - your dentist's comment has reminded me of my son's GP partner's wry smile at Christmas, when I mentioned that I'd achieved my aim of a 12 miler by then, but was grumbling that it took me 2 hours . . . . .   
  • Dave
    well done on going out in that lot!!
    Yes- peoples perceptions of what is acceptable can be coloured a bit :)

Grey, freezing, just, fog and miserable.  Didn't want to run but did slowly for 1.25 miles.
    Came to my old 440 yard path where I used to run intervals and it beckoned as a black strip through snow covered ground - "go on" it seemed to say," if your hard enough".

Not being a competitive person, and not prone to having conversations with inanimate objects, and being sick of plodding, I stopped and thought a change is as good as a rest!!  
    Ran 3 x 0.25 mile intervals/strides/faster plods along the path, two slightly downhill one back up with 1 minute interval rests ( so they must have been intervals, right? :) )

1:45.8  128  148
    2:06.4  137  152  the slope back up got steeper than I remembered!
    1:48.0  130  150

... and that was enough!

and then 1.5 miles back home slowly.

Long time since I ran at 7m/m pace, even for a short distance, - just add 11 of them together and I will be with John on his 5Ks :)
  • Dave: Nice run and hope the snow has gone and you can run today.

Torque:Nice interval work and decent pace so you will be challenging John soon enough. :) Sounds like you were hard enough :)

I went out and ran to the garden's not done that it a few years since I broke my foot so 5.75 miles I did take it easy as I had the foot in my mind.Slow but will have to look up what pace I would run this route as slightly hilly.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good impromptu session, TS - now you're reacquainted with your old friend the 440yd path, perhaps a more regular liaison might ensue?  

WP - sounds a good outing - well done !  

no run today - was about to head out when I had a phone call - conversation lasted an hour, by which time my mojo had gone (not due to the call)  :)   so back to it tomorrow.  

Dave
  • Dave Some days are like that .I hope today mojo is in full flight.

I went out to run but felt so tired I decided to come back home which is a shame as bad weather due in Sunday+ Monday but also my injection is due so i get run down the week before.
    I shall be back out tomorrow :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • a TOTP award for Welshpoppy :)
    you really have to struggle through some obstacles to get out there - plus the weather!!

Dave
    tsk tsk ;)  I think it was just a secret plan to rest up before another 12 miler over the weekend.

"Les liasons dangereuse " can lead to disaster but I may re visit on a one in 10/14 days as I know it improves my overall running style. Considering I hadn't run like that for well over 2 years I was surprised that the muscle memory clicked in immediately - higher hips, straight back, increased cadence.  Once a sprinter always one I guess :)

Anyway back to foggy, dank morning here and a 4.1 mile plod in 40:41 (10:06m/m) with avHR 129 and a max of 143.
    Slightly different twinges to normal but all ok.

It has been a good choice of a cutback week what with dental problems, blood tests, dentists proddings, inoculations and heavy snow - the latter being the best of the bunch :)