Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Welshpoppy
    rest day?  It has been a rest week!
    Don't know anything about peak flow rates to pass comment but anything that affects oxygen uptake will have adverse reactions.

No not Kinsology tape but a separate non-heavily sticky stuff that forms a barrier between the heavy duty stuff and one's skin!

Mick
    don't know - but it has happened before.  The patella/kneecap is held in place by a tough tendon that stretches across the face of it diagonally in a groove from top to bottom and which "flicks" across the surface as one flexes the knee. It can get disturbed from its regular path and then one gets anterior pain in the knee -quite sharp and stabbing. Support taping the joint properly can correct the misalignment

Tough day at the snow face!!! 
    Your new machine hasn't proved its worth has it?  In the good ol' days there were always gangs of youths going round offering to clear paths for some monetary consideration but that seems to have been consigned to history.
    The repair man will probably be delayed by the snow!!

Taped knee in place I did a very easy 1.5 miles this morning - wet and windy!!
    Knee didn't complain too much so I may have got the taping right - it is a few years since I was shown how to do it by my physio! 
  • Oh Mick you are having a tough few days with the snow and you must look too healthy for neighbour to help on second day.Hope Snowblower man comes good today for you.

My PF is 340 normal for me is around 425 I also have exercise induced Asthma it can give me trouble in winter and summer.

Torque: Good news with run and taping!

yesterday I got up early ran the hills 5.2 miles ran and all was fine no stopping and HR in right range I was so pleased.

Then today back to bed and no run as too tired not even a walk so a total rest day.First rest day this week. Hopefully it will mean I am good to go tomorrow.It has coincided with second ONS appointment and swab test.
    In other news Mr WP is having his vaccine Wednesday as he is in the vunerable group.

Dave: How are you doing this week?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    not been great, WP - but as everyone else is dealing with various "stuff" at the moment, I'll not complain !     

so, no running Tue-Thurs, but got out this aft for loops of the parks. Felt "off" for a while (legs, breathing, negative voices  - the lot), but persevered and ended up with 5.6 miles, including 8 x 150m strides on grass, in an effort to shake my legs up a bit!   Some bicep curls, flys & step-ups when I returned.  Can't say I enjoyed the jaunt, but, as ever, I'm glad I've done it !  

looking in my diary (I made the note "terrible"), I see I had one of these runs two weeks ago today but did 12.2 the next day, so we'll see what tomorrow brings  . . .     

good news re Mr's jab  . .   btw, was that your photo on BBC Breakfast the other day, WP ?   :)  

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    That is quite a drop which obviously you must feel.
    I found this chart which you probably have already seen.

Your normal of 425 seems to put you in the zone but 340 makes you the equivalent of a 5 foot 74 year old.

Dave,
    Wow I wouldn't mind your not great day, 

TS,
    The repair man arrived on time and returned later in the day with it repaired!!!

I managed an enjoyable 8.2k yesterday but today it has snow continuously and the roads remain unploughed so no chance to run. I will get a chance to use my repaired snowblower after the snow plough comes by.
    Some of the bits for my bike came so I can start on putting that back together. Kept myself busy by installing a couple of dimmer switches.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     . . .  and I wouldn't mind some of your practical skills, Mick !  Nice 5+ miles bagged . . .

headed out this morn on what has become the "usual" for Sat - loops in the local parks, then down to the industrial loop.  I'd completed 9 miles when I had a brief (2 metre distance) chat with daughter and buddy at the end of their "effort" section, prior to their cooldown miles.
    Friend asked me what I was planning; I told him 12, but he (inadvertently, I must say) planted the seed of 13.1 . . .  so instead of 2 more laps of the loop, then the slog uphill and home for a 12+ ,  I decided on 4 laps of the loop, then a "cooldown" walk back up the hill.  13.11 done - legs very tired on the last lap (in part due, no doubt, to yesterday afternoon's outing), but its done now !  

Dave
  • Hi from the occasional loiterer.

I hope the weather is better wherever you are. As usual we have got off lightly but today  we were promised clear skies and sunshine. What we've actually got is cloud and a bitterly cold wind. Oh well, it's early days in terms of spring.

I too have been enjoying the cricket (the 1st Test more than the 2nd!), the 6 Nations (despite England' form - please improve for the Welsh game) and football especially as my lot seem to be both playing decent football and creeping up the table. 

Running-wise I had a bit of a fall last week, This despite avoiding snow, frost and ice like the plague - but simply came a cropper on an uneven path. Not much damage done. 

Tested fitness by doing a 5K this morning with a nasty wind cutting across me. 22.52 was OK. I can't wait for the warmer weather.

Noted Alehouse's situation and can only extend best wishes.

Happy running to all.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Half mara done, that has to feel good.

John,
    Another fall, not good, how is your one legged balance?
    I'm with you on the warmer weather, I have a couple of feet of snow around so no thoughts of spring here.
    Well done on the 5k.

Warm today only -7c, but the footing was sloppy as the road had been salted so feet got a bit wet. 8.4k done. A run with the boys tomorrow and no snow in the forecast so should be fun.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    another 8K, Mick - good work !  surely creeping up on the leader?   
  • Dave: Good to hear things have picked up again but we are always here to listen.Well done on your runs especially yesterday!That has to feel amazing to run a half marathon.

Mick: Thanks for chart not good and explains my tiredness.Well done on your rowing efforts.

No running for me and had hoped today but feeling pretty tired so another rest day will be needed it seems.......sigh
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks, WP - yes, it was nice to record the HM distance (though couldn't help but wryly reflect that 6 years ago, age 60, I ran 1:29 ) 🤔   . A shame you couldn't get out - I hope tomorrow brings energy!     

3 "recovery" miles around the park today; legs not too bad, so included some "grass strides". Somehow salvaged 26 miles for the week.

Dave

ps - I was given a sports massage voucher for my birthday last year - finally made the appointment - 8am tomorrow - methinks pain may be involved . . . . .   
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    A 'sports' massage sounds tough.

7.5k done with the boys, warm and good footing so enjoyable. My legs are complaining somewhat after all the kms on slippery surface, I may have to have a rest day tomorrow or at least the rower.

Mick
  • Welshpoppy
    hope the warmer weather brings some relief for you

John
    well I kept saying you were heading for a fall with all those 5Ks :)
    Good bouncebackability after it with your latest 5K time trail though

MIck
    there was a bit on the TV weather this morning of a frozen Niagara Falls so it must be cold somewhere over there!!
    You still need some miles in solo to move up the leader board :) but you are building up mileage steadily.
    PS I wonder why we don't say Kilometerage - does anyone in metric land say that?

Alehouse
    hope you are feeling a bit better and with your meds under control across the board

Dave
    you will have to stop this - it is spreading to me!!
    15 years ago just before my 60th birthday I also ran a HM in 1:30 off limited training on my return to more competitive running and thought a bright future loomed.................. :/

Now I can scarcely get out the door without another bit breaking down in my body.

Managed a whole 2.1 miles this morning and it felt too far.  This month has been disastrous so far and there is not much left of it for improvement.
  • You are right, TS: this month is not going well! Spoke with a GP earlier: meds for vertigo are going to be changed. Vertigo is probably a bi-product of something else, probably a viral infection of some sort. She said it is often four to six weeks before a full recovery. I am of course hoping for much shorter! 

Nice work, Mick, BirchJB! Shame I can't join you. Perhaps when I am older. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    more good work, Mick . . .   

TS - yes, the past is indeed a foreign country (at least where my legs are concerned). Fingers x'd March is better for you, but kudos for getting out today.    

alehouse - same for you - I hope the Foxes gave you some cheer yesterday.

Massage completed this morning. Pain was involved . . .   an hour of kneading etc. Too early yet to say if any benefits, but I certainly felt looser limbed walking home than I did walking there. An hour sitting in the care home, though, and I was stiff again - but the masseur did advise that this would likely be the case, as legs began to react to the attention.  He decreed no run today, which suits me after the 3 day "block" :)  

hope all's well in Wales . . . .    

Dave
  • Birch: the first time that I had a sports massage on my legs I could barely walk the next day. Just saying. And I am not mentioning my football team. A bit like TS and Mick for other reasons!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good to see Ale post and hope the recover is less.

Dave: Sounds to me like massage has done it's job on your legs and enjoy your rest from running although does not sound like  a rest day. How is mum?

Torque: Good to see you out running and hope March is a better month for us all.

My PF climbed this morning up to 380 and I could feel the difference  and RHR was 41 so off I trotted for a run playing the sensible card and hat 4.5 miles the fastest this year. I then did my weights and hoovering not had energy like that for a long time. :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - wonderful news re your speedy run !   B)   weights too 👍  . . .   but hoovering as well - that's just showing off   ;)    

Mum fine, thank you - within her mind as it now is - eg - she thinks her "new home" is lovely . .   "and they never ask me for a penny"   :#  :)   

• Welshpoppy
    good outing for you  :)
    ... and even better indoors - weights and hoovering!!

alehouse
    Hope the med change helps
    we shan't talk about football - other than to say the blessed St Rashford has perfected diving as well  :)
    Watching the Guinness P'ship highlights last night and it seems Leicester have found a new pack!  Good to see players getting red carded for illegally leading with a shoulder in the tackle and with that sort of commitment from refs it may not be long before it gets through to players and coaches - particularly the latter.

Dave 
    good news about your Mum - I hope they have a decent bar for her :)
    Sports massages - mmm " a sadist inflicting pain on a masochist"  :)

I went out this morning with only a base layer on and tights as it was so warm.
    Felt a little better/less weary so increased the pace and distance a bit and ran 3.1 miles in 28:54 (9:33m/m) which was better than of late.

HRM malfunctioned again.................

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Time to move back to a chest strap.
    I would have been surprised if the falls were not frozen.
    No people still call it mileage.

WP,
    5' 6" 64 year old, definitely improving.

Warmer here as well but it snowed last night which meant a sloppy run for me. 8.2k done with wet feet for most of it. I wonder if I can buy any of those waterproof socks that are so popular in the UK.
    I have fallen behind badly in the challenge, 21k, he snuck in a long run on a snow day.

I am not happy with the wifi coverage in my house so decided to do away with the telco provided router and set up my own mesh network using Google nest products. They are suppose to be compatible with the telco modem but it will keep me busy figuring it all out.

Mick
  • Mick: That sounds like it will keep you busy setting up etc but you are the man for the job :)
    Ooh I am improving still another 10 years and  3" to go.

Sealskinz are popular I don't have any but they maybe similar in canana?

Torque: that was a better pace for you and agree time to get HR Strap out.

Another run here 5.5 miles same pace  well a wee bit faster .Then a Body project workout .I was going to do Yoga for runner but felt tired so skipped it.PF although 400 yesterday evening by the morning had dropped  to 360-380 so a way to go yet.

In sock news I have new socks arriving colourful ones orange, red, pink,tourquise(sp)yellow and one other I have forgotten.I need colour in my drab life to cheer me up.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     excellent running, folks !  

WP - I have just the item for you !!   :)   

3 miles around the park today; legs slightly sore post-massage, but actually felt strong today, but time constraints dictated no further miles.

Dave  
  • Not a lot of good stuff happening on here! Hope you all come right soon.

No Parkrun for me on Saturday - back to Level 2 for Auckland so no gatherings over 100 people. Did run 19km on Sunday though - totally shattered by the end of it.

Don't think anyone will be doing any overseas travelling for a while unless absolutely necessary. Agree that you should keep your British Passport Mick - one never knows what is going to happen next!

I remember going to Africa in 1973 - we had inoculations for everything I think except rabies! 
  • I missed your half marathon distance Birch and I'm impressed with your great time as a 60 year old! And yours too Torque Steer.

John - 22.52 - I'd be thrilled with that!

I was just looking the other day at Howard Grubb to see what times were worth now as a 70 year old. It says a 28.00 5 km is worth 19.35 the standard being 21.07. 

I was interested that a 4.30 marathon for a W70 was worth 2.58 the standard being 3.24.

It's amazing how we keep on trying to make our efforts seem worth anything.
  • Mick
    I extended my wifi coverage with Deco M5 products - pretty good coverage even through my thick walls!

Welshpoppy
    the extra 3" may be a bit more difficult to achieve :)
    Another improving run there - good going
    I wouldn't be letting those socks loose in my washing of running gear - there is a reason it is all black or dark blue!!!

Dave
    well done on easing legs into a run - will you repeat the massage?

NZC
    are there any plans to introduce vaccination into NZ 'cos you can't keep locked away for ever :) ?
    One can get great satisfaction from those tables :) - doesn't speed the actual clock up in real life though!!

Went out in tee shirt and shorts this morning :)!!  Still too warm and legs were shattered so I fell back on my new motto when required - "when the going gets tough, it's okay to walk" and got round my 3.1 miles in 32 mins which was a bit different to yesterday :/

• Darn I forgot about chucking in all the running kit in washing machine those socks will have to have seperate wash on there own.

Dave:That sounds good as you have not rested since your half marathon?

No run today I had to get Mr P ready for his vaccination and I felt tired so opted to rest.I have done my weights session and yoga for runners and some tricep dips on the coffee table oh and a short walk to village.
    PF still not risen again so 370 this morning.

Colourful socks have arrived doubt i will run in them walking yes as not technical just cotton socks as far as I can see.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    I ordered a pair of Sealskinz so I am joining the waterproof socks brigade.

TS,
    With a mesh network you can keep adding nodes until you get want you want.
    I like the idea of shorts and a t-shirt.

My right knee got tweaked last week when carrying something heavy and this last couple of runs it has been moaning a bit. So I have decided to give it a rest today. 

I now have all the bits to finish off the rehaul of my pedal bike. I always advise people when taking something apart to take a picture, but of course I don't listen to my own advice. I have a part that I have no idea where it goes. You wouldn't believe how many bits there are in a Shimano shifter and rear derailleur.

Mick

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    wise moves re rest, Mick & WP , for differing reasons (nice work WP with x-training - tricep dips indeed) !!   

TS - snap! - Tshirt & shorts here, and also very heavy legs, but eked out another 3 miles in the park.  Didn't get out until well into the afternoon, as cricket lured me . . . .    
    unsure re the massage - I can't really tell if it was of benefit or not !  

Dave
  • Welshpoppy
    washing socks  :)!!
    Can't beat tricep dips on the coffee table - normally involves picking up cake.

Mick
    I can recall doing that on derailleur gears a long time ago - they never worked properly afterwards!!  Mind that was in the days of a thumb push on the frame not these posh handlebar types :)

Dave
    careful out there - it's not so warm this morning!!

Went out early just as sun came up - about 10C colder than yesterday which meant it was frosty  - not ideal for tee shirt and shorts.

Still a bit pants trying to run so 3.2 miles in 32:27 (10:12m/m) including a modest walk to admire the snowdrops and crocus in the early morning sunshine

I have been under par since my Covid jab at the beginning of the month - coincidence?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    still riveted by cricket, TS - but I don't think this will be the case by tomorrow !!   

edit - or perhaps in another hour or so . . .     
  • ....  or half an hour or so!!

Never seen so many wickets fall in a Test match so quickly.