Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Oh Alehouse you are taking an age to heal and find what it is!

Dave: Any news?

Torque : You are right no rucksack for me for a while :(

I had second outing with poles and that went well 45 minutes a lot better than almost 2 hours which was too long.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    6.2 miles this afternoon - 2 laps of my 5K loop on the edge of the city - met running chum (she only had time for one lap). First time for months we've run together. I did see her on Wednesday, in sad circumstances - her brother, who had Down's Syndrome, died recently at the age of 54 (I believe this is around the "norm" for the condition), and I attended his funeral (limited to 30 attendees) . I'd intended running after this, but didn't get around to it, and yesterday was a CNBA day!  And yes, TS - the walk, on top of the long run, certainly gave my legs something to think about!  

good work with your mileage, TS, and admirable pole-walking, WP 👍

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    6 weeks is a long time but just think how sweet that next run will be, good luck with your return to good health.

Dave,
    It is always hard to find the right words in that situation but being there says a lot.

WP,
    Yes you got me into sealskinzs but poles are not going to happen unless I have skis on my feet.

TS,
    You may moan a lot but you get the miles in anyway, well done.

The plan was an easy run today, another run with the boys tomorrow and xtraining on Sunday. However the weather forecast is for +16c on Sunday so a 5k row instead today. BTW it was -13c windchill this morning.
    Looking forward to tomorrow's run as we are following up with breakfast.

I may have found a treadmill but I am still waiting confirmation on my order. This thing weighs 300lbs and they will only deliver to the curb, should be fun. Time to get to know my neighbours.

Mick
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support, everyone! Much appreciated!

Mick: the delivery people may appreciate a little cash in hand to move the treadmill! Money talks! And am sure that their bosses wouldn't need to know! Enjoy earning your breakfast!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hope the run & breakfast are both satisfying, Mick !  

Shorts and short sleeved T-Shirt (the London Marathon 2015 one  :) )  here !    Very mild indeed, and a pleasant 3 miles in the park, with 8 x "grass strides" included.   

Dave
  • Options
    Mick I was going to suggest what Ale did I bet a two man team and money talks.I remember once I think a new Washine Machine refused to pay £45 to Curry or the like to take away old one.Asked delivery chap if he would take it away  I gave £30 and he refuse to take more than £15 for it.I was happy delivery chap was happy.

Dave Great running you are doing well and sorry about Friends Brother but sounds like he had a good innings.

Ale: We are willing you to be well and get back running.

7 miles walk this morning no poles;-) but stressful as taken bank card to call in village for fruit.I get to till and ....my card was missing from a zipped and lined pocket. searched everywhere but no joy had to leave shopping come home and try to call bank no one there till Monday.Finally messaged them securely and got it cancelled.90 minutes later a very stressful 90 minutes!! then back up village to get the shopping.

Back is easing but not ready to run just yet I have heart set on Monday!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Good thought but I will have to catch them delivering it. We live in a small village where there is no crime and people still leave their houses unlocked. Deliveries are just put next to the door and the driver is gone before you get there.

WP,
    You did two 7 mile walks, wow no wonder your back aches. There is usually a number on the back of the card and if you call it then the bank are on the hook thereafter.

The 7.2k run with the boys was fun and the breakfast sandwich, that is an English muffin, bacon, egg and cheese, went down really well.

Dave,
    It is going to be shorts and a t-shirt for me as well tomorrow. I think I will follow your fashion lead and wear the Army Run Half Marathon 2009, I was 63 and ran 1:39.

Mick

• Options
    WP
    you will probably find the card tomorrow !!

alehouse
    excellent result today - hope it has done you some good.
    Rugby yesterday was ................... interesting!!

Dave
    show off :)
    strides as well!

Mick
    another show off :)
    sounds a tough ask - I spent yesterday morning moving a very large pine bookcase - and then painting it!  Used a cunning slip plane made up of thick polythene to glide it over the carpetted floors and it moved quite well.

Of course I moan - I have seen virtually all my running prowess, such as it was, stripped away from me by a malfunctioning pesky thyroid and I am left with a shell of what I was and what I should be :/

Out early into a lovely spring morning - warm sun and a cool breeze ideal for doing the recently posted Hash trail of 4 miles over a very lumpy course through wood fresh with bluebells and wild garlic.

Slow but steady on knees that hadn't appreciated kneeing for long periods painting aforesaid bookcase!

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    You just have to stop this DIY stuff

A very enjoyable 6k run in shorts and sunshine followed by a 5k walk with the dog and MrsM, including stopping in at the coffee shop for a drink and a panini.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick
    I keep trying................

Sounds a very nice excursion(s) !

I too went out in shorts again at 0730 but it was very chilly despite strong sunshine - should have realised when I saw the frost in the areas the sun had not got to!

However it was still pleasant so stroll round my 3 miles with cherry trees in bloom, daffodils and crocus flowers glowing in the sunshine and some warmth on my back as the sun caught my back :)
  • Options
    Alehouse, just catching up with your various medical bulletins. Really hope that the various experts can (in crude terms) sort it out for you. Hang on in there, mate.

My efforts which tend to be focussed on 5k need to be reset as I'm in a 10K challenge head-to-head at the beginning of June. I tend to fade pretty badly on longer runs (TS knows why) but the nature of the challenge is that I'll need to run 46 or so to edge my rival (he's a mere 61 year old youngster, so we're doing the race on WAVA - around a 76% will win it for either party).

Set a benchmark of 48.11 today which is my best time since 2019 but still  a long way from the target.  Anyway, nice to have something to motivate me. The challenge - a race within a race - is on 13th June. My rival is so far concentrating on getting his mile time below 6 minutes, so his endurance is currently worse than mine.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Mick - a good day! Has the treddie arrived?  

TS - a couple of "blooming" good outings  . . .     

John - hm, 12 weeks inc this one to go - plenty of time to devise a schedule to get you there - incorporating all  the necessary elements  ;)   

W.Poppy - how were things today ?   

3.5 miles easy effort today - and for once, it actually did feel (relatively) easy !   

Dave
  • Options
    Dave: Sounds like progress with the easy running:)

Mick I also was wondering if treadmill has arrived?

Torque: Blooming good days outing yesterday :)

I tried a run yesterday but it was no go came home and sulked.Got myself out for walk but was not feeling the love so came home and did chores instead.

Today wore running shoes on walk and ran 2@0.5 milers and then on the 1.37 mile downhill to home I ran the whole way so 2 miles of running.-Yay the come back has begun again. :)
    Going pole walking later...
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Dave, WP,
    No sign of the treadie yet, I am hoping this is not a false order and they do actually have stock. According to their website they're supposed to deliver in this area on Thursday.

WP,
    Sounds promising.

John,
    There was a time when I concentrated on the 10k. I found constant time trials to be destructive and I would end up injured. I found the biggest return came from tempo runs. A couple of times a week run 6 or 7k at half marathon pace after a suitable warm up.
    Here is a typical training profile to do a 46 min 10k.

if you can handle the above a 46k will be a breeze.

20c today so a relaxed 5.5k in the sunshine. I have a longer run with the boys planned for tomorrow so I need to be rested. They are coming to me so I will be on home turf.k

Mick
  • Options
    Thanks Dave and Mick. I'm going to try a LSR today (60 mins) and will set the pace at 5.30. My 'equivalent 5k' time starts a tad below the norm Mick suggested.....unless I have a very strong wind behind me.) It looks more or less like the 'old school' formula of 2 x 5k + 2 minutes. 
  • Options
    John
    oh where do I start :)?
    Repeat my previous advice to you and rinse!

10K is a race run at high level aerobic efficiency levels - if you start off at 5K pace you die in the second half and times will tail off.

you have the pace but not the endurance at pace so you need to maximise your VO2 performance levels.

That is not just a matter of running longer distances but running smarter.  You will need one longer run a week at a relatively easy pace just to get used to being on your feet for longer - say for you 8:30m/m for an hour or so and another one where you stretch out a bit or introduce some fartlek efforts into it to get the HR up a bit - and of course the recovery from that effort.

Then to build the high level aerobic capacity I would suggest some mile repetitions (one session per week)  at your target 10K pace less 10 seconds  - start off with 4 or 5 depending on how they feel and build up to 8.  That should suit you down to the ground  :)
    Remainder of your runs at steady pace, say 8m/m over 5-6 miles with perhaps one shorter interval session of 400m reps, if you are not too fatigued, or as you get stronger at 1:30/1_40 pace.  That will get you body properly used to moving at a higher efficiency level .

Doddle really  ;)  Don't fall down..................

Dave
    good on the easy running :)

WP
    strangely running can be easier on the back than walking as there is normally less heel strike - unless you wear very high drop toe/heel running shoes.

Mick
    home turf eh? sounds good.

I had an emergency appointment at the dentist yesterday after yet another sudden flare up of a very painful abscess on the gum during the night resulting n no sleep. 
    We reluctantly decided that it couldn't go on - it was the third in 5 months - and so the good tooth over the broken root had to come out along with some fishing to get the broken bit out as well.
    It had lasted 40+ years so I guess I got my money's worth out of it.  Now waiting for large hole in my gum to repair itself. 

No running as I didn't really feel like it

• Options
    Oh Torque: I hate Dentists well done and hope the pain eases for you.

You are so right as I run mid foot/up on toes sometimes.I have low drop shoes I think Adidas Boston Boost.

Mick Enjoy the longer run on home advantage:)

Today I went dressed to run and I ran 4 miles hilly route and only slight niggle on last hill.The comeback has began and about right distance.It left me strangely tired so no walking today.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Dentists are bad, dentist emergency have to be rated as a catastrophe.
    Don't blame you for not running, its time to spoil yourself.

I ran with the boys today on home turf. My course has some serious hills in it and they are not use to hills so, of course, I stepped it up over the worse section. It was nice to see them struggling for a change as I was out in front up the hill. I will pay for it on our next run on Saturday but it was sweet. BTW we are not competitive.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Here is the elevation for our run.

• Options
    WP
    well done - 4 miles  in the bag. Onwards and upwards :)

Mick
    I could do with a smile and your report certainly raised one :)
    Heh, heh, heh - luring them onto the hilly bits - that is certainly a steep drag up  towards the end
  • Options
    Thanks TS. You are very patient. I promise I will try to take your advice on board and implement. I think my 'natural' pace for longer runs is around 9mm so I might start off at that sort of pace just to get some miles in my legs. I like the idea of the mile repeat sessions.
    I can assure you, though, that not even I'm dim enough to run a 10k at 5k starting pace.
    What I can't assure you is that I won't fall over!

Mick, that's a brutal session for non-hill runners. I can just imagine you running it with  sly grin on your face..................

WP, talking of hills that sounds like a very good comeback.

England play San Marino this evening and after hours of sifting through data and analysing different variables I have come up with the definitive advice for a win and can express it in three words: JUST TURN UP.

That Wales goal last night was a thing of rare beauty, I thought. 

• Options
    John
    should have mentioned that you need a rest day as well  :)

So LSR 8-9 miles all aerobic
    recovery run 4-6 miles
    mild tempo run mixed fartlek/ shorter sharper intervals
    recovery run 4-6 miles
    mile intervals 4-8 progressive
    recovery run 4-6 miles
    rest day 
    repeat.................

I wouldn't put money on your prediction  :).  If I had to get up to turn the TV over I mightn't even watch it.
    Wales goal was good - so were the others at the other end. De Bruyne  seems to be able to score those at will.

Another fine, dry spring morning and I ran a gentle 4.661 miles in 48:43 (10:27m/m) - no strain other than a cold breeze whistling through what seemed an enormous hole in my gum :/

Why a precise 4.661 miles? Well it equals 7.5Km and it is my 75th birthday today so it seemed an appropriate distance seeing as 7.5 miles was out of reach!! 

No complaints today - my GP gave me a wave as I passed him dropping off his son at prep school and I was reminded of his words to me -  " I wish all my over 70's patients would come in and complain about not being able to run fast any more- the vast majority can't even walk!" :)

• Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY Torque :D:D Do we get cake-yum yum and great work on your birthday run.

John: Thanks and good luck with training!! I became tired just reading about it;)

I ran 3.5 miles same route but asthma playing up so opted to not run further.2 mile walk post jab for PA.

Tomorrow is finally my turn to be vaccinated......

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, TS !!   

and WP has made me want cake now  . . . .   
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    TS - got it. And happy birthday. The WAVA will be just that bit more forgiving now! And better still you'll be in a new age cat and be able to bully all those 79 year olds.

WP - good luck with the vaccination. I was lucky as had no side -effects and hope you don't get any too. 
  • Options
    Thank you kindly all🙂
    slices of virtual Victoria sponge with raspberry jam and fresh cream filling all round!
    the sun is shining on a perfect day so I thought you might like to share my cherry trees in blossom
  • Options
    family are coming round shortly after school etc for a socially distanced meet up in the garden - and real cake  :)

Good news about the jab WP 

John
    I shall be watching for daily strict observance ;)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Happy new age group, TS!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Happy Birthday, you made it to another one and you are still out there. Very jealous of the blossoms. No sign of anything growing here but the snow has gone, the frost is coming out of the ground and the birds are returning.

WP,
    Good luck with the vaccination, I have just got my appointment for April 13th and yes this year.

A gentle run along the same route as yesterday but shorter only 5.5k but it did include my glory section of hill.
    It was 18c and sunny and I actually started to sweat.

We have the landscapers coming in soon. There are taking out the scrub, bringing in tons of topsoil, building walkways lawns and flower beds. I was looking at building a raised veg garden until I saw the price of wood, it has gone absolutely crazy. Wood has historically been virtually free here but not anymore, covid has sent prices up by a factor of 3 to 5. We have a huge free supply of rocks so it will be built of rocks.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    anyone watching the GB Marathon Olympic trial on Iplayer?
    WP - Dewi Griffiths looking good at halfway.
    Women's race shaping up nicely - group of six currently together . . .