Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Dave : Keep me updated on how Dewi is doing he has had a hard two years with injury so I have my toes crossed he does not fatigue towards the end.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    WP - its on the Iplayer now sadly Dewi has dropped off the pace - he looked really good through 30K - maybe shows what the distance can do 

edit - 5K to go, Dewi 45 seconds adrift of leading trio
  • Options
    Just managed to watch it what a good run From Chris Thompson but what a shame for Dewi in 4th I think 2.12?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    yes, incredible by Thompson - shame for Dewi, but he gave it all he had - 

Davis very impressive in Women's race -  2:27   still 9th on UK fastest marathon list :)  

• Options
    Thompson - nearly a >40 year old vet!!

Must be the lockdown effect.

Mick
    yup another one to look forward to...................
    at 18C I am not surprised the frost is coming out of the ground!

Very windy this morning here - John type PB weather :)
    I again kept the pace down and ran 4 miles in 41:22 (10:22m/m) so big (!!) mileage two days in a row
    Just got back in before heavens opened

The family had cluibbed together to buy me a year's subscription to the whisky tasting club where each month they send out a different malt whisky to savour. This month it's a 15 year old Tullibardine which I sampled last evening :)

It's not a full bottle I hasten to add but a handy pouch sized portion that can be slipped through a letterbox so no need to wait in with bated breath!
  • Options
    Mick: Good luck with your vaccination not long to go.Oh wood prices have rocketed during lockdown!

Torque: It sounds like the family knew what you would like with the Whisky club.

5.5 miles this morning in torrential rain longest post back.Safe to say I am mended.Off for jab in a bit it is at a vaccination centre 8 miles away.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good running, TS & WP  - I take it you didn't venture on foot for jab, WP?  :)

hm, "pouch sized" . . .    how long is a piece of string???    btw, loved the blossom pic 👍

Dave
  • Options
    Dave: No I got Mr P to drive;-)

Think today will be rest day and I may go back to bed.My arm is sore my glands are up and swallowing is tricky.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    I don't like the sound of those side effects, let us know how it progresses and good health to you.

TS,
    No need to wish you joy with your birthday present I can feel it from here.

The treadie arrived yesterday.

I really liked the idea of bribing the delivery guys until I saw one little 9st guy jump out of the truck.
    This beast weighed 300lbs which is even heavier than TS.
    As I could hardly lift one end of this 7 foot box I decided to unpack it to see what the bits would weigh.
    I selected this treadmill as I wanted a solid sturdy frame rather than flashy electronics. The deck was still over 200lbs about one TS.
    I managed to convince a neighbour to help. Just some advice, do not attempt to move a 7 foot thing that weighs over 200 lbs up and downstairs.
    My neighbour is short but fit and strong and only 60. After a lot of groaning and grunting, we got it into the man cave without total wrecking the house.
    I spent yesterday afternoon putting it together.

I am now seriously knackered so a rest day today rather than a run with the boys. OUr run is now tomorrow.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - hope you're feeling better than at 6am . . .   

Mick - great description of the treddie shenanigans - had me guffawing :)   but my word - comparing TS to a large heavy cardboard box . . .      ;) 

finally got my act together after Tue-Thur being blanks.  3.5 miles around the park last evening - after 6pm when I went. 
    14 exactly this morning - so back to the longer ones after a break last weekend (I'd done several consecutive weeks) . Think I'm gradually getting stronger - the 13.1 miler, 5 weeks ago, was a real "death march" for the last couple of miles, but today the real fatigue only kicked in with about half a mile to go - at 13 I felt relatively ok  . . . .

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Excellent longer run, Birch

And good news on the treadmill, Mick!

And I spy that parkrun congratulations are due to NZC!

Nothing to report here apart from gradually getting better. 7 weeks tomorrow since the jab...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    pleased to hear, alehouse !  
  • Options
    Mick: I love the treadmill trials and tribulations had me smiling as I could imagine it all.Great job nd a nice strong looking treadmill!!

Dave:that sounds two good training days and well done on 14 miles!

Ale good news no issues!

I am happy to report that I went to bed after a few hours got up and by lunchtime I felt a lot better.Just a headache and very sore arm.This morning just a sore arm but less sore.One issue  was I ran this morning but had to walk a hill due to lungs on fire this worked as I could finish run. But Lungs still feeling not right I am hoping it is just asthma related.

This was the Pzizer vaccine.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    good to hear that progress is being maintained - if slowly

WP
    good that you got the jab - not quite so good on the after effects.
    I have heard of quite a few folk having some sort of tiredness reaction to the jab which wears off after a few hours

Mick
    I am honoured that you have introduced a new imperial weight measurement to Canada - the TS  :)
    I can see it now - come get your 1/4 TS of potatoes, 2 TS's of timber for the log burner etc.
    At least you got to know a neighbour better!
    Looks a strong bit of kit - just need to recover your strength to try it out

Dave
    The pouches are quite small double or triple measure.  Some of the samples are from distilleries and vintages costing +£300 bottle!!
    Great run yesterday 14 miles is a significant milestone to go with a feeling of  increased strength

It was my turn to set a Hash trail so I set a 4.68 miles run over tough conditions - earth paths, rocks and tree roots thrown in, lots of ups an downs (125m in all)  just to show them that there was some life left in the ol boy after having received some mocking comments on Tuesday night's WhatsApp chat

Knackered now :/
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Glad to hear that you are improving.

WP,
    I am not sure what vaccination I am getting but side effects do seem to be common whatever. At least yours did not last too long.

TS,
    A TS is reserved for a beast of a thing that is big and unyielding.
    Your Hash sounds like fun.

I omitted to mention that, during the struggle, I managed to drop the beast on my toe which is now suitably sore. Luckily MrsM was out while we were moving it, as along with the grunts and groans, came some good olde English words.
    I ran with the boys today and drag my still complaining body around without shaming myself too much. The toe complained but not loudly so I survived. 7.4k in light rain with lots of chatting especially from me describing my adventures with installing the beast.
    MrsM has already used it twice.

Mick
  • Options
    MIck
    you should be able to dine out on that treadmill story for quite a while.
    Good to see MrsM has commandeered it after your exertions!!

"big and unyeilding".  some of the folk I deal with may agree rather too readily with that description of me :)

I appear to have frightened everyone off from my trail - no one has posted any comment on it as yet!
    It also served to knacker me as well - pride comes before a fall - so a very slow 3 miles this morning in a blustery warm wind.
  • Options
    Morning

Mick: Glad to see Mrs M is using treadmill already but.....is she allowed in mancave :)

Torque: Maybe they are stuck out on course;-)

Just under 5 miles this morning for me and it felt normal-yay torrential rain adding into the mix.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - that hash does sound arduous - so I think you can allow yourself some leeway with the "very slow" 3 !   

Mick - hope Mrs M has allowed you some treddie time . . .  

WP - excellent 5 !  did the torrential rain make the run feel even more "normal" ?

rest day yesterday; today 5 miles for me also - went higher up on edge of city - lovely and sunny, but pretty windy!  Legs still fairly creaky after Saturday, but survived  . . .

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    met my erstwhile "marathon mentee" this morning (we reckoned about 6 months since we ran together) - loops of her local park (a nice flat one) for 4.5 miles. Wore short sleeved T-shirt as a nod to the weather forecast, but of course, as we started at 7:30, my hands and arms were still cold !  We had a good "catchup", and I was pleased that my pal was pleased with the jaunt, as she has only recently returned to running, after an injury & life stresses induced layoff.

Dave
  • Options
    Great job getting your trainee back in action Dave :) 

I was out at 6.55 and can verify it was cold as I also in short sleeved top,gloves, hat etc 3 miles for me as asthma playing up.The warm weather has hastened the tree pollen.

Our mass vaccination centre had 497 people fail to turn up for vaccine in one day!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dave
    yup it was chilly despite weather forecasts telling  a tale of 19C!
    Sounded as though as much breath was expended chatting as running :)
    Nice to have a proper catch up

WP
    497 didn't turn up?!!!  Have they all gone on holiday in Wales?!

Well no tree pollen here as it was definitely chilly early on despite the sunshine.  However it was perfect running weather - warm sun on my back, cool breeze in my hair ( what is left of it) and nice and quiet on the roads with the schools off on holiday.
    4 miles done in 39:43 (9:57m/m) as I persuaded myself to move a bit faster in the perfect conditions.  Legs still a bit achy from my Hash trail setting!!

Talking of which someone has just posted that they had finished the trail and ran 5.8 miles.  and proudly posted his tracked map.  Had to gently tell him that he had missed a turning and ran an extra mile through the toughest of the terrain :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Quick "me" post: Gradually making progress. Actually ran 1k yesterday! Legs were like jelly so will leave it a few days more I think. Have managed around 11,000 steps today just walking about rather than going for a walk, so that must count for something!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    can't beat a bit of me, me, me :)
    Good to hear progress of a sort is being maintained and you have ventured out for a short shamble.
    Have you had any definitive diagnosis of what went on?

another beautiful morning here, no chill breeze, as I ran the same 4 miles in 39:28 (9:55m/m).  Not quite the same as yesterday as I stopped and had a chat at mile 2!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    encouraging, alehouse  . .

decent runs , TS - smiled at your fellow hasher's detour . . .

WP - that's a lot of no-shows !   well done with your 3, given the pollen. I'm fortunate not to suffer from any hay fever or other such allergies.

set out at just after 9:30 today, and felt pretty warm already as I finished 3.5 miles around the park paths.   

Dave
  • Options
    Dave
    just back from an afternoon stroll through the local park - very warm indeed at 22C and lots of folk about mostly behaving.
    A string quartet were playing in the sun colonnade and the gentle sounds wafting across the grass and flowers may have tempered the inclination in others to do more loud things - it was very peaceful.

Pleased I wasn't doing your 3.5 miles though!!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    Ladies are allowed in the mancave but only if they follow the man code.
    That is a huge drop out rate is there any published reason?

Alehouse,
    Well done look forward to more running posts.

TS,
    I like the sound of your park, not the sort of thing that Canadians do. Much more likely to go off to their cottages and watch the lunes.

I took the treadmill for a couple of runs. It has a very smooth deck which is easy on the joints. I had my Garmin 245 playing my music so not too boring. Snow is expected tomorrow so could be on it again. It is 17c and raining at the moment so not sure where the snow is coming from.

I have been invited up to view my friend's hunting lodge. The only way to get there is a couple of hours in a canoe. He and his son built it last season and have already shot a bear. It is now a rug in his house and he assures me that the meat was delicious.
    I guess I am still too much of a Brit to appreciate that.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    your park seems the antithesis to one of my local ones (not the nearby -  0.25 miles - one which I used this morning, but the one a mile away - the location of nearest parkrun)
    -  a most depressing scene after yesterday;  litter all over, beer cans in the stream, vandalism to a memorial to US airmen who lost their lives there in WW2 (as featured on BBC a couple of years ago) vandalised etc -  

Height of selfishness BBC presenter Dan Walker slams Endcliffe Park  crowds  The Star
  • Options
    Oh Dave that is so sad and disrespectful:-(

Mick Have to say I felt sick hearing about the bear :(
    No reason has been given for the failure to inform centre if not going to show up......Staff were in tears over it.

Torque:Your park sounds lovely to stroll through but not in that heat!

Happy to be back running after yesterday feeling tired and sleeping lots 14 hour at night and 2 hour nap. 4.7 miles today and RHR is dropping back down PF is still low but hopefully that will start climbing again.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dave
    that must be heartbreaking to the old chap who tends that memorial - and to the countless others who use the park.
    Similar scenes of rubbish and debris left in other open spaces in my town as well  unfortunately - just so stupid!

WP
    not surprised at the distress caused as most of the staff are volunteers at the mass vac centres

I reckon the scare stories put round about the Astra Zeneca vaccine are all orchestrated by the drug companies that are selling vaccines at a profit ( a huge one!!)  and are trying to reduce credibility in the AZ one.
    Nice to see Macron in France getting his comeuppance over his earlier comments about AZ vaccines although it is  a pity for the citizens of that country who can't get a jab

Mick
    I am with you on the huntin' shootin' fishin' thing - shooting  a bear for food and a trophy - what the **** ??!!
    the two hour canoe ride sounds good though.
    Good workout on your treddie - don't get too addicted to it  :)

Well it was some change in the weather here this morning - at 6C and a freezing, damp breeze from the NE blowing in made it feel even colder.
    Sought shelter on a different route through the pinewoods, as I only had a tee shirt on, and which added 10m of climb in the first mile of my 3.65 miles  in 37:23.
    Quite pleased to get home!!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    I thought people from up north were tough.
    There is an argument for keeping the population down so to be able to hunt you need a tag from the government which allows you to take one at a certain time of year.

I am from the south. Well the snow came, along with high winds and freezing temperatures so back to the treadie. 6.2k at a comfortable pace 6:35 per k. I need to buy a fan as the one on the machine just doesn't cut for me.
    A summer like sweat makes it harder work than it should be.

Mick