Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good work, alehouse. 

found myself clocking up 9.3 today, looping around the area where daughter was doing a solo session. Included 4 x200m hill "efforts", and a couple of "surges"  ;)  on the flat.  Pleased the legs coped after 12 yesterday.  33 miles for the week, in 4 outings.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Current weather near me. At least it was sunny when I ran, although I was in full winter gear as it was chilly. At least with no cricket I concentrate on the Leicester game. Not happy with current score! But I know a few people will be happy with Newcastle's 3 points earlier. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
      :):):)
    what were you saying alehouse?

Good progress of a sort on your excursions.  Hope the appointment yields something positive 

Dave
    wowsa!!  Back to back big efforts - doubly well done.

WP
    steady out there!!

Mick
    you can have your weather back from here thanks.
    Good to leave the treddie behind just as you got it set up!

We had similar weather to alehouse - snow overnight and a hard freeze on top so when I went to get the car this morning it was a tough job removing the build up. Car needed to go tot a Hash trail in Borobridge.

Got there really early on and it was btiterly cold but with brilliant sunshine for a pleasant run ( apart from scarcely being able to move!) of 3.6 miles of fairly level trail and path. Crystal clear air so I took  a few photos on the way round

dawn breaking!!

• Options
    Devil's Arrows Neolithic standing stones

• Options
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    My M76 friend was passing this morning just as I was stretching on the garden wall ahead of my plod, so joined him for a couple of kms before I turned back for a total of 4km. Makes a big difference running with someone, as Birch found out last week!
  • Options
    alehouse
    stretching before a run - you risk damaging yourself!! 
    4 km is good!

I managed 3 miles in 30:50 in brilliant sunshine and -4C .  Nice to be out, legs slightly wobbly from the off road stuff yesterday over hard rough ground and feeling slightly more invigorated than of late.
    See what tomorrow brings!!

I have resisted the temptation to join a queue in front of a pub and will probably do so for a while to come.  Far easier to resist going into a shop :)
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Great pics but where are the leaves?

Alehouse,
    Good to run with others as long as you don't hold them back.

Weather is still really good here but still on the rower as toe is still too sore. So 5k in 23:08 so not too hard especially as I am listening and watching good music on youtube. Fan kept me nice and cool.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Loved the pics, TS - particularly the last one.  Good running too - encouraging that today still felt "ok" after yesterday's jaunt.
     No pub trip intended today (and rather cold for a beer garden), but I did naively think I'd get a haircut , however,  the queues at my three local barbers were very long (like my hair) . . .    

more progress, alehouse - company too!   

took a rest day here, after the weekend exertions.  Maybe I should have used the time to wait in the queue . . . .  

Dave
  • Options
    Mick
    they all got frightened back into the bids by the cold!
    I have a lovely magnolia tree in the garden and the large white flowers were just emerging as vivid splashes against the dark evergreens - the hard frosts have turned them all brown :/

Corns are one complaint on my feet I have avoided thankfully!

Dave
    I tried to et all my ducks in a row in the last photo:)
    I used to take a lot of photos but rather fell out of it as a pastime - I had the trail map on my phone and the camera is soo good on it I thought I would take a few as the light was so good.

I resorted to trimming the sides myself and let my wife loose on the back as I couldn't see that area!!

Rest days are good after your long back to back efforts - you are allowed :)
  • Options
    ... and back again!

A pleasant -2C this morning in lovely sunshine - braved the outside world without gloves but still with a base layer and tee on top.
    That exposure may have quickened me a bit and I managed my 3+ miles in 29:35 ( 9:49m/m) with miles 2 (downhill) starting with an 8 - only just, mind, as it was 8:58 :)
    Still, a slight improvement in vigouration levels which was very welcome. 

Looks like I may be on an upward trajectory or at least until my second Covid jab which is due about now!

Mick
    that reminds me - how is the situation in Canada?  We don't hear much about what is happening over there and I know you said in a recent email that you were going into some sort of lockdown light!
    I was speaking to a friend last night who has family in Vancouver whose eldest son has just gone to university and all his lectures are on-line  and with no student engagement at all
  • Options
    Hello???

a repeat of yesterday - same weather, same run except for a short walk when I met a friend near home and had a socially distanced chat :)

The fact that she was young and blonde, and I was tired,  had nothing to do with it..................
  • Options
    Afternoon,

I see you are fickle with your running then Torque :) any news on second Vaccine? Mr P is having is Saturday 7 weeks after the first.

I have had trouble after a faster run on Sunday and Monday so achilles sore on Tuesday and still walking parts.But today 3.2 mile at 10.45 pace and no walking-yay.

PF is rising again so all must be coming good again.---phew
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sorry to have left you on your own, TS!

About 20 minutes again today, which was a struggle. Again. 

Below is a table: would be grateful for anyone's thoughts!

Date

Kms

Ave speed

Ave HR

1/1/21

3.5 recovery run

2/1/21

29/1/21

3.16 w/d post session

1/2/21

12.45 wet and windy

6/4/21

11/4/21

14/4/21

So, 30 seconds or so slower per km after 8 weeks off with a slightly higher HR. Is that to be expected after just 8 weeks? Finding running really difficult at present.

Weight: was 9 stone 13 on Feb 2. Now 10 stone 9, i.e. 10 lbs heavier.

All runs largely off road but flat.

Neurologist tomorrow. He runs! 

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Alehouse,
    Assuming the environment is constant a 10% increase in HR for a much slower pace is a little alarming. However, 10lbs would account for at least 10s per km.
    You are obviously fighting something, although I do find your HR on the low side.

TS,
    Compared with Europe deaths and infections are low but they are going in the wrong direction hence the lockdown. Canada does not manufacture any of the vaccines so the supply is unreliable, hence only a small portion of the population is vaccinated.
    Canada is huge so the serious problems are contained to the major cities. Where I live, in a small village alongside the Rideau River, nobody is sick and the likelihood of catching anything is close to zero.
    My daughter is in Vet College and her lectures are online but she still does clinical studies with real animals and people. They have to be tested regularly and are not allowed to mix with anyone else including us.
    I had my vaccination yesterday and no ill effects so far. 

Another beautiful day, sun and 18c, so tried out my toe and potential ill effects. 5.5k which felt good running easy along the trails.
    Corns are painful but the secret is to get them treated quickly. I left this one too long so I have a large hole in my toe which will take a while to heal.

Mick
  • Options
    WP
    my love for running is decreasing in direct proportion to the obstacles put in front of me - so a transfer of affection is on the cards :)

pity about your grumbling achilles - had anything set it off?

This is week 11 post first jab - I will chase tomorrow if I have not heard

alehouse
    that's ok - talking to oneself is a natural product of lockdown!

That's a lot of variables to adjudicate on. In science experimentation the rule is change only one thing at a time but you became a moving target.

The easy one is weight gain. Imagine running at your original weight with a 9lb weight in a haversack on your back - you would be slower.  As it is a 7.2% weight gain with no increase in muscle mass ( I speculate on that!)  and your times are 10.3% slower there is some correlation already.

Add in muscle loss through loss of running and you are nearly there as the weight increase disguises the metabolic changes in the body - ie muscle mass declines so weight increase is actually more in non productive fatty tissue instead of muscle

The HR issue is rather different as you started off with a very low rate of 110 and it has actually gone up although the other variable, speed, hasn't.  In fact it has declined marginally. and April's weather has been mostly kind (another variable!)

That does suggest that there is also a  loss of aerobic fitness which, combined with the weight gain, has given you a double handicap.  And we don't recover that base level of fitness as quickly after a lay off as I can vouch for.

It's unfair but that's the way it goes................
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Glad you got out, Mick. And for the Covid view from Canada!
    Re HR I deliberately chose some very easy runs pre Covid jab to compare with runs that I am currently finding quite tough for a slower pace and higher HR. On most runs I was staying below 120, but not during fartlek or speed work.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts as well, TS! It does all add up, I guess...rather depressingly! 

Hope that I am nearer a general health answer from the neurologist tomorrow: head ache and tingling head for 66 days now!
  • Options
    Alehouse - let's say if I was running that fast my heart rate would be a whole lot higher!

Good that you are getting out there. I would be interested to see what your heart rate is doing when you are walking.

Mangaged 25km on Sunday - not easy - very humid - very glad to see the end of it. Have been walking each day since!

I'm going to try to see if I can go longer this Sunday then make a decision.

Just a short note - off to pick up my grand daughter.
  • Options
    Mick
    good news on your vaccination.
    you appear to be in a good part of the world!  Certainly the attractions of living in big cities have taken a battering of late.
    I guess it is rather too far for folk to pop out for the day  to where you are as well.  Pre lockdown here people were flocking to coastal destinations etc and the local infection rates were shooting up.

Glad I haven't got corns to deal with - I do have deformed toes, knarly toenails etc from too many years playing football and rugby - not quite "beach ready" for display!!

NZC
    tis a big jump from 25K to 42K particularly in adverse conditions - take care!

alehouse
    hope you get some answers from your consultation - that's a long time with headaches an dizziness
    It is a bit sobering seeing all the factors that adversely affect one piling up one by one :/

Well it was truly one of those mornings this morning. To misquote Wordsworth - 
    Bliss was it to be in that dawn
    But to run was very heaven

All that was missing was the ability to do the running bit!

Chill air at -1C, strong sunshine, no wind - perfect running conditions so I was emboldened to run a whole 4 miles in 39:29 (9:55m/m) with avHR 129 and a max of 143 - where 129 is 69% WHR

Splits for future comparison by alehouse

10:18  121  131
    09:29  129  136
    09:45  130  136
    09:56  136  143

HR's are always relative so WHR is a better guide as it shows the effort to an individual base 

For the first time in weeks I actually felt ok out there - probably pay for such exuberance later on!!

• Options
    Morning,

Torque:Nice running and a low HR even WHR% is low.

I ran 4.33 miles at 79% WHR which is the norm at the moment.It was  similar temps to Torques and the sun blinding me through the trees.I am trying to lower it  but it will come.

I use a programme called runalyze which is pretty good and calculates my WHR etc
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    We do get a lot of tourists but they tend to be older and like to wander by the locks and visit the gift shops and pubs. They all wear masks even walking in the street.

Another enjoyable run today even if it was in the rain. Now you all know I am not one to post a lot of stats but ....

12:05 PM Thursday, April 15, 2021
    Run Summary
     Comments -                   CBW, Felt comfortable.
     Weather data Merrickville , Conditions - light rain
      Mean Temp =  10c,  Min Temp =   9c,  Max Temp =  12c  Humidity = 87%
      Mean Wind Speed = 1.54 kph,  Mean Wind Direction = 110
      Run Duration = 41:34,   Run Length = 6.26 Kms or 3.89 Miles
     Average  Run Pace = 06:38 per Km or 10:41 per Mile, Age grade =  56.9 %
     Average WHR = 72.9 %,  Max WHR = 91.0 %

Run Gait Analysis
     Average  Run Cadence = 83.5, Average stride length = 0.90 m
     Avg Vert Osc = 5.8 cms, Avg Vert Ratio =  6.3%, Avg GCT = 310 ms
     Avg GCT % = 43.3%, Avg GCT Balance = L50.5% / R49.5%
     GCT Balance in good range as a % of the total trackpoints = 64.8%

Hill Climb Summary using uncorrected elevation(unreliable)
     Number of hills found longer than 50m and > 2.0 % gradient = 11
     Total  Run Climb Elevation = 138.0 m, Max Elevation Difference = 20.0 m
     Longest Climb Gradient = 5.9 %, Climb Length = 256.3 m, Distance From Start = 4.5 kms
     Steepest Climb Gradient = 9.5 %, Climb Length = 52.7 m, Distance From Start = 1.5 kms

Lap Detail
      Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     07:04     1.0        0.6      07:04      11:23      55.2%     63.4%      83.0       0.85
    #02     06:50     1.0        0.6      06:50      10:59      64.9%     70.1%      83.0       0.88
    #03     06:49     1.0        0.6      06:49      10:58      70.9%     76.1%      83.0       0.88
    #04     06:21     1.0        0.6      06:21      10:12      76.1%     79.1%      84.0       0.94
    #05     06:41     1.0        0.6      06:41      10:46      82.1%     90.3%      83.0       0.90
    #06     06:21     1.0        0.6      06:21      10:13      84.3%     90.3%      84.0       0.94
    #07     01:29     0.3        0.2      05:39      09:06      88.1%     91.0%      87.0       1.02

Running Dynamics by Lap
    Lap    Avg Vert Osc     Avg Vert Ratio     Avg GCT       Avg GCT%           Avg GCT balance 
    01          5.4 cms               6.3%               324 ms            45.1%           L 50.7% / R 49.3%
    02          5.8 cms               6.3%               317 ms            44.1%           L 50.9% / R 49.1%
    03          5.9 cms               6.4%               315 ms            43.4%           L 50.7% / R 49.3%
    04          6.1 cms               6.3%               303 ms            42.5%           L 50.5% / R 49.5%
    05          5.8 cms               6.2%               310 ms            43.1%           L 50.6% / R 49.4%
    06          6.1 cms               6.3%               297 ms            41.8%           L 49.7% / R 50.3%
    07          6.4 cms               6.2%               283 ms            41.2%           L 50.5% / R 49.5%

As you can see my WHR took a jump over the last few k as I tried to maintain pace through the hill.

When I hit the hill you can also see my gait change.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick
    sorry not enough information - you don't mention the surface underfoot :)

WP
    Know what you mean about the low angle sun through trees - my first half mile is straight into just such a scenario and I can't see the pavement clearly - which I need to as it's in such a bad condition!!
    4.33 miles bagged is good.

Another perfect running morn here - did an easyish 3.1 miles in 31:00min on legs a bit tired after yesterday's exertions

Now - where is Dave - losing heart as the Owls slip down?

Ditto John - report required upon his precise adherence to my training plan (- I wish :) )

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Yes, where is Birch?!

And John!

3.21km mainly off road yesterday where I felt marginally better, perhaps as I had just seen the neurologist. 
    Today I just about managed my "just over 4k" course, trying to keep the HR down but still much too high for the effort. Recently I had stopped doing this course as it was too short. And the best part of 40 years and two stones lighter I used to run it under 15 minutes, probably with less effort than today!
    Ave speed yesterday was 6.24 mins per km, with ave HR 118
    Ave speed today was 6.38 per km, ave HR...118 again. 
    That won't be enough data for Mick!

All sounds as if you are moving in the right direction, WPTS!

Neurologist (fellow runner and same club although I barely know him) was very positive and thorough. He also suspects that I have had an underlying viral infection that has come to the fore with having had general anaesthetic, radiation treatment and the covid vaccine all within 72 hours. He wants me to have a CT venogram scan which I had never heard of. Had a call from the hospital to say that they can fit me in next Thursday pm. 
  • Options
    alehouse
    that's good news on your next scan on the back of a 2.2 million backlog in delayed treatments!!

Never heard of a CT venogram either - looked it up and it covers the veins in the body!
    Remind me what your min/max HR outputs are as your current HR looks very low - unlike Mick's whose always looks high!!
    It looks like you were plodding along at about my speed today ( so I can say plodding as it reflects my pace :) )  and for a longer run than previously so it's progress 

Talking about comebacks  - it was good to see Mark Cavendish back winning stages in cycling after years out with illness and injuries.  A guy always quick to praise and thank  his teammates for all their hard work.

I am not a huge bike follower but the sight of a yellow jersey clad Wiggins leading out the team for Cavendish on the Champs Elysees was one to remember as a total team effort- and ye gods it was 9 years ago!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    The CT venogram scan is indeed of the veins in my head and neck, TS

If you are calling my current running "plodding" I will take that as a compliment: it isn't that good!
    Actually pretty well the same course that I did on Monday with my M76 friend, and surprisingly a little quicker, probably because we were speaking which naturally slowed us down. 

For the past year or so I have worked to 5 zones which are estimates but seem to work well for me: 
    1. Below 102 bpm
    2. 103-119
    3. 120-136
    4. 137-153
    5. 154+

was trying to keep most of my steady running in zone 2 up until my vaccine. Currently 50% of my running is in, and well in, to zone 3. 

Zone 4 I was hitting in faster work and zone 5 I would perhaps hit in a race. These figures are based on experience over the last few years. I haven't done a max HR test but I have seen 163 at the end of a race about 18 months ago. I will stick to these figures as they are engrained!
  • Options
    Just did Cornwall Parkrun - 26.58 AG 82.57% - am very happy about that. Now heart rate -1km 145, 2km 172, 3km 176, 4km 176, 5km 177. Slowing down as I ran as I always do.

I am not sure how I am managing this as my weekly walks are very slow with heart rate rarely going over 100.  My long run heart rate average was 157.

I am thinking because I am only gentle walking on my other days it makes it possible to run faster though it is much harder on my running days.

Alehouse - I don't think it is plodding at 6.30 km pace - plodding is 8 min km pace. We all have to accept that the effort we are putting in now is just as much as we ever did.

Nice running Mick and Welsh Poppy!

Torque Steer - believe me, I know it is a big jump from 25km to the marathon! I might be walking from 25km. I will just see how tomorrow goes - hope to do another long one.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Nice new age group record then, NZC! Excellent! Enjoy tomorrow's long run!
  • Options
    Nice work Christine good luck tomorrow on long run!

I am happy to report after yesterday far too tired to run this tiredness is crazy.That this morning up and out by 6.30am and 5.3 miles all done.Av HR 139/WHR 78% which is a lot better and pretty normal for the hills. making 20 miles for the week in fact all year so far as been around 20-23 miles which is half my normal mileage:-(
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression