Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I would try to slow down a little, WP, but that's me! 

3.31km run this morning following three hours cross training in the garden.
    Kept it slow with average HR 116. Max was 128.
    72%  in zones 1&2; 28% in zone 3.
    A bit more disciplined but felt ridiculously slow. Average pace 6:44 per km. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hello all - not the best week, I'm afraid - after the planned rest on Monday, I awoke Tues to the feeling , from nowhere, of just not wanting to get up. So began a week of hardly leaving home - although I did manage a haircut -  a "crime" really, as such a sunny week. Anyway, was prevaricating this morning (no buddy appointment to make me go) - I looked up bus times to edge of Peak District (they are every 2 hours, but didn't know the times), and next one was due in 15 mins! So, got kit on, gathered bus pass, face covering & £10 note and headed off to bus stop round the corner. The route I took was my old 21 miler marathon "pea sheller" from home (those were the days) - I was pretty sure alighting where I did would give me 14, and so it proved. Unlike most of my double-digit excursions this year, this is a real roller coaster, so by the time I had 1.5 downhill miles to finish, my legs were feeling pretty bashed, and it was weary trudge to conclude proceedings.  I was pleased that I'd taken money, as I started to feel dehydrated (schoolboy error - partaking of the grape last evening, and just a couple of coffees this morning - no water - so a bottle of water purchased as I re-entered suburbia, with around 5 miles to go, was very welcome.
    It's strange (or perhaps not so), that a target can motivate - as I say, not a good week, but I really wanted to keep my double digit weekends going, and of course, I'm now chipper that I got out !   

Apologies for a "me" post - I've read back, and it's heartening to see everyone battling on in differing circs - but I must single out NZC for the splendid AG performance - excellent work !!!   

btw, TS - not the footy causing gloom - they say it's the hope that kills, and that disappeared many, many games ago !  
    In fact, we found a classic "Wednesday" variation in the "how not to win" catalogue today - a goal up after 4, opponent sent off after 20 for conceding a penalty which we missed, then 70 left against 10 men, we conceded in 87 to draw  . . . .   Give it another season, and I'll be meeting you when we play in your town :)   

Dave 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Glad you got out, Birch! And I bet you are! One of the advantages of streaking is that you get out however you feel! Perhaps time to run with a few friends like the other week.

And I had my locks cut this pm.  Have been cold even since!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Well done on getting out on your long run. I personally find long runs unattractive these days. Since turning 70 I have not enjoyed going beyond tired, if you know what I mean.  It seems to take me down for too long. I enjoy 10k but cannot say the same for 10 miles.

NZC,
    you can certainly knock out those great AGs.

7k for me today, nothing special just cruised along at a 6:30 pace and tried to hold pace through the hills.
    The provincial government announced new restrictions yesterday so today's run, which was going to be with the boys, had to be on my own.
    It is frustrating as we do not have a serious problem around here, but the restrictions are province wide, bare in mind that Ontario is bigger than the UK.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    maybe I'll get to that point, Mick - for now (I'm 66), I'll carry on with the longer ones - even if it is just an ego thing, I like to know I can still do the distance (even if it is slow) . Can understand your being irked by the restrictions returning - as alehouse alluded, it makes a difference if one can run with friends occasionally.   

Speaking of which, was lovely to be joined by my "marathon mentee" for 3 of my 6 miles this morning. She's had a bit of a tough time recently, so a boost for each of us !  20 miles for the week (and the weekend)   :# 

good luck to the Foxes later, alehouse :)  

Dave
  • NZC
    looks like you maxed out on the 5K as far as HR was concerned - you needed to for that time - well done.
    hope the long run goes well 

WP
    got to get the base right after all your setbacks - otherwise it will be two steps forward, two steps back :)

alehouset elcome to my speed - or lack of it :)

dave
    well that's one way of making sure you have to do your long run!!
    It was warm in the sun yesterday so I can see why you started to dehydrate.  LOL at the image of  you crawling into a shop grasping a £10 note for a bottle of water and the shopkeeper saying "cards only"!!
    The haircut must have shorn you of your running resolve - 
    Good to have some company on your run today and that was an impressive back up to your 14 miler.
    Hope in football is rarely fulfilled.............

Mick
    I had to look up the population of Ontario - 14.57 million - just about the content of the M25 :)

Just about to leave this morning for a run when I received the next Hash trail so decide to do it. Only trouble was I had 1.5 miles to where I could cut the trail, then 3 miles of a pleasant flat route and finally 1.5 miles home so it ended up being the longest run since the end of January!!

Oh well job done...............

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, TS! Now back it up with a similar long run next week.

Glad you were able to back up yesterday's run, Birch. Company helps!

Shame that you are having to run solo Mick but I would be more than pleased with 7k at 6:30pace including hills!

And well done to The Foxes as well! Hope in football is sometimes fulfilled! Hope that the final isn't one step too far though. Again. 

Just under 22k this week following last week being just under 17. Heading in the right direction I trust!
  • Birch - good to see you get your long run in. Torque Steer always cheeky saying "cards only" no cash. I think we need these sorts of back ups these days we never know what is going to happen when we try these long ones.

Torque Steer - that's a great way to get a decent run in!

alehouse - good to see you being sensible (not like me) and building up nicely.

welsh poppy - glad the heart rate is behaving itself.

Mick - sounds like we run about the same pace these days.

Well the long one for me was very interesting. I'm comfortable in the 6.30 km pack but there wasn't one -so had to go with the 6.15s. Hung on not too badly till about the 27km mark at which point I'd had enough - thought time to walk. Just then son and daughter pulled up beside me and daughter jumped out of the car and asked if I wanted her to join me so we walked ran the last bit and got to just short of 32km. Great kids! I only realised later that the group had sped up near the finish so that was why I was feeling so bad and dropping off! Never mind - job done and entry in so fingers crossed for Rotorua 8th May!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done NZC! How many times have you run Rotorua so far? Lots? Not the easiest of course if I recall correctly.
  • I've finished 18 Rotorua marathons  first one in 1978. You finish 15 and you are a Survivor! You get a special T Shirt - I've never worn mine but it makes people keep going back even if they are not fit - they want the T Shirt and be listed as a Survivor.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - nice one - and "pleasant and flat" helped, no doubt!  

alehouse - good progress - for you and your team!  

NZC - excellent long run - and nice touch to finish with your daughter.  "Survivor" has a nice ring to it  . . . . .  

taking a rest day today , after the weekend - will leave soon to walk to care home, and from there up to my son's to retrieve car which he borrowed.  Will be around 5 miles.

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    A good day for walking, Birch! Active rest is better than rest!

I had decided not to run with my M76 friend this morning as I didn't know what time I would be available as I wanted to go to B&Q early. Got back, put kit on and went out of the door...just as M76 was passing. Totally by chance as it wasn't his usual time and he is very much a creature of habit! Anyway joined him for a couple of kms chat before returning solo. 4.52km completed, the longest run so far. 

The weekend was largely spent replacing and treating 50 feet of fencing. Wouldn't have been able to do that even a couple of weeks ago. 
  • NZC
    excellent family support and at just the right time :)
    Big difference in 6:15 to 6:30 pace over that difference so you did very sell to stay in touch for so long.
    Nearly time to start tapering!!

Dave
    good decision the rest day - got to let that hair grow again :)
    Yes, flat does make a difference for me although I still had to negotiate hills on the out and back.  Most of the trail was on freshly cut grass that smelled nice and was just soft enough underfoot to feel comfortable on it.

alehouse
    good timing this morning and a nice bonus in a longer run.
    Good result for the Foxes - in the light of the announcement of the ESL, or whatever they call it, maybe they should get a walkover in the Final?
    that's the trouble with fitness - it gets used for other purposes!

....  and as I found out yesterday when a day of extreme gardening plus cooking a bbq as the afternoon wore on in pleasant sunshine meant I had been on my feet nearly all day.

Relapsed into fatigue this morning so just did a brief 2 miles in pleasant chilled sunshine  - shorts on as well!!

• Morning,

I did smile at Torque's Cards only as a lot of shops were card only during lockdown!

Yesterday 4.6 miles 78% WHR and a Nordic walk later so a good day energy wise.

Marked today as rest day Achilles is stiff so rather taken one before forced to do so, so pencilled in hacking at the jungle for an hour which turned into 2 hours.A work in progress another 1 hour pencilled in for Friday.I then was going to do a Body Project workout which was 55 mins I managed 35 minutes as tired.
    Looking forward to the running tomorrow!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - there's active rest, then there's fence erecting !   

ditto extreme gardening, TS!  . . .   

good day's work, WP -  and looks like your idea of rest matches that of the chaps !  

correct decision to rest here - my quads feeling the DOMS today, worse than yesterday (clearly from the undulations of my long run) - but did the walking I intended. Mostly uphill, and temp rising as I proceeded, perspiring "nicely" by the time I arrived!   

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    I don't feel tired but would have trouble with keeping up with your workload.

TS,
    Time on my feet is definitely a factor for me and it doesn't really matter what I am doing.

6.3k through the hills on a near perfect running day. Concentrated on holding a steady pace without losing anything through the hills. It was slow but kept the lap spread to within 10 secs apart from the pickup over the last lap, so happy with that.
  • WP
    I am tired just reading that!!
    Can't remember when I last used cash for a payment - I hand some over to the g'kids who promptly bank it and spend via their cards!!

Dave
    I hope the walk eased off the quads - it was a nice day for it.
    My garden now looks tidy so hopefully I can relapse into maintenance mode although Mrs TS has started to talk about  some reorganisation.............

Mick
    sounds good out there :)
    Yup - time on one's feet is becoming an issue in relation to performance

Another perfect morning here and slightly warmer than of late.
    I couldn't face my normal drag uphill start so instead turned off into the pinewoods  and ran on the trails which were dry underfoot and springy with needles for a mile or so and then onto the rougher, rockier paths finishing with a monster hill back home.
    Incredibly slow with 45 min for my 3,5 miles only partly excused by climbing 150m and the rough ground underfoot.. 
    The last hill saw my HR rise to 148 as I attempted to keep in front of a female runner who had dogged my path for much of the way. When I stopped outside my house she slowly caught up and thanked me for pulling her round - I didn't tell her I was trying to stay in front :) - and she finished with the ominous words that "we must do it again if we meet up"!
    Think I shall hide............
  • I always use cash when I can rather than cards.I do not want a cashless society so I make a point of paying by cash;-) lets just say I am aching today.

Mick : nice run out there.My feet and achilles hates me on my feet for great length of time.

Torque: I have visions of you getting Mrs TS to watch out for the runner with binoclars and giving you the all clear to run :)

Well a 3.20 mile run legs aching big time also shoulder and arms but more the quads so had to keep run shorter than planned.But did complete the second half of the Body Project.Apart from that I am having an easy day :)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    WP
    I  am tired just reading about your easy days :)

alehouse
    It looks like Leicester may be champions without kicking another ball!

I have grown increasingly disenchanted at Premier League football and the monopolisation of talent via money but the latest steps to create the ESL are the last straw!

ESL with Arsenal and Spurs in it :)?  OK laugh out loud at the concept of that but it's all about clubs that have either overspent and are in danger of going bust - Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Spurs, Arsenal and the fear in the other English clubs that they may get left behind on a gravy train leaving shortly.

As someone not inexpert in negotiations there is a need to have a simple compelling position by the Premier League.  Mine would be - "off you go, all six of you, you are hereby excluded from the Football League and all your results, trophies and successes are herby declared void!"

I have just come across a table that reinforces that point at 15:21
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2021/apr/20/european-super-league-backlash-builds-against-breakaway-plan-live

It looks like Newcastle would now be declared Champions in five of the seasons since 92-93 - not that I have a vested interest in such a situation :)

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Quick post: I understand The Foxes may be celebrating a cup and league double!

Oh, and running. Just over 3 km with 87% below 120bpm for an average speed of 6:28 per km. Off road on dry and dusty trails.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - what you said re footy & final straw.  Hm, I can't see you resisting the gauntlet thrown down , should you encounter that runner again !  

WP - kudos for your all-round efforts ! Body project sounds a bit, er hardcore :)  re payments, I like to use cash when paying, say, less than £10/£15, but must admit in the Covid period I've used card more.  

quads still pretty DOMsed today, TS (maybe they're in sympathy with WP's)  -  can only think the impact of the undulating (to say the least) long route, plus the dehydration, has impacted  . . .   anyway 6 miles today in an "interval" style - ran to friend's (2.6 miles) for coffee (and water !)  in garden, an hour's chat, then 3.4 to return , with a detour through the park making up the extra .  

think I'll head to the shop for a bottle of beer now (paid for with coins)   ;)

Dave
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    cum on ye Foxes :)!!

Dave
    DOMS - it's the downhills that do it :/
    That's one way of splitting up a session - pity there was no cake  for a bit of carbo loading.
    Hope you took plenty of cash with you ;)

Well the ESL seems to have gone away-  for a while at least - whilst they regroup and find another way of  trying yo cement their entitlement - the recent proposals from EUFA are part of the way  there already :/

Cold and overcast this morning . Just saw a stat that we have have 15 frost mornings this month locally compared to an average of 5 - however I will take that if we keep the sunshine!

4 miles done in 42mins (10:30m/m) avHR 126 and a max of 136 makes it look easy but it wasn't!!
    Energy levels way down and no resilience on the hills at all made it painful progress.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Don't think that The Foxes will pull off the double now, TS! And at least you got your run done! The runs when you have to tough it out count double of course!

No frost here but grey and overcast. 6 degrees and a bitter wind. 5.25 km largely off road going through 5k in 32:30. Longest since Feb 1st and found it tough going in places. Perhaps not quite in the counts double territory but on the way!  HR averaged 115 and only 30% at 120 or above. 

Frost is due here overnight. 
  • Great work Alehouse coming along nicely.

Torque: Sorry to hear energy levels way down :/

Dave: Glad your quads joined mine I would not want to suffer alone :) Great work on cash for Beer.

5.30 mile run this morning and WHR was 77% it was slow but still some aches and pains just happy to run and increase the distance maybe this  week I will get above 20 miles for the week...hopefully.

None running injury a pot of jam fell out of fridge and onto my shin...ouch
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick I found the age thing with VO2Max on my phone I am 20 years old I shall take that:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehouse
    just when you think you see a chjnk of light in football.............................. :)
    Good progress on your run today breaking the 5K comeback barrier  - maybe it's a 1.5 scale?

WP
    excellent distance this morning - if WHR was 77% it doesn't matter what the pace was as you were well into higher levels of aerobic workout.
    20 years old eh?  I can't find any evidence on my phone for that age reduction programme!
    Nasty injury potential there - hope it wasn't a full jar!!
  • Torque: In the Garmin app click on Training status,click on Vo2Max and there it is.I had increased my VO2max by 1 or was it 2 either 38 or 39 to 40!
    I mean I have had this Garmin maybe 6 months the other 2 years and first time I have found it.
    I will try to aim for 77% but normally I am at a higher %.

Jam pot was full.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    So is this what I can look forward to when I turn 75 in a couple of months, having to hide from the ladies.

WP,
    An average of 77% is a comfortable cruising WHR. Most people's aerobic threshold is in the low 80s, that's when it starts to hurt. In theory you should be able to maintain your threshold for an hour assuming appropriate training.

A sudden change in the weather brought a snow storm so down to the man cave for a treadie session. 5k done at an average WHR of 75%

off to watch Spurs.

Mick
  • Mick
    that's the not so European Super league Spurs :)

It gets worse over 75 - the ladies on zimmer frames in the local park fancy their chances of overtaking me!!
  • ...........  well everything passed me this morning :/

After 200m I had enough and turned off onto a woodland trail so that no one would see me.
    Thought the fatigue might wear off but it didn't - nice frosty morning for a walk anyway