Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• I did the same walked rather than run as shin was sore after jam incident 7.5 miles pretty frosty out.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS, WP,
    It looks like your biorhythms are in sync.

High winds, windchill of -6c and snow on the ground. Didn't fancy that so back to the mancave for 5k on the treadie. 

Mick
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Now the pubs are open I guess I know where you all are.

Broke the rules and travelled out of town to run with the boys. 8k done in beautiful weather as we are back to warm sunshine 18c.

Mick
  • It's Anzac Day here today - guess there will be quite a few up for Dawn parade. I always think I will go but never do. My Dad served in the Middle East.

Alehouse  - nice to run with friends, as they say you can never run too slowly and looks like it set you up for some nice runs.

Birch - sorry to hear you had the DOMS - hard running will do that to you.

Mick - you seem to be running well even if you are breaking a few rules.

Torque - no hiding from pretty runners - might be just what you need.

Welsh Poppy - ouch - hope your shin feels better soon.

I've just been walking all week - didn't feel like running but yesterday did 21 km solo on big hills so I knew I wasn't running too fast or too slow. So I've got half the distance covered!

Those who follow rugby will know our famous Eden Park. It was used for the first time as a music venue last night - never thought that would happen.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Nice long run, NZC!
    I have done almost 24km to exceed your 21. Trouble is it has taken all week but represents progress with just under 17 and then 22 the previous two weeks.

Mick: re pubs, it is outside only. I went on Friday: it was booked two weeks ago and it was for a one hour slot. The cold was just about bearable. Did try to book for next Friday but nothing available until 7th May!

And I will be supporting Spurs later!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Afternoon,
    I have finished the week on 22 miles which is 2 more than last week-yay

Mick: No pubs open here till Monday Beer Garden only.

NZC: 21K well done not gone that far in ages maybe this year.

I have run but today tried a threshold run all loaded into garmin just go and run it and I nailed all elements at correct HR it was walk 5 mins,jog 9 mins,jog faster 2 mins then 10 mins at Pace, 2 mins at pace x 3 then jog 9 mins.Total of 5 miles.I enjoyed the mixture of HR paces I never went all out just a little outside comfort zone.

It is an AI programme will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick
    no pub visits here unfortunately.

I had my second Covid jab at the weekend and thought I would take it easy for a couple of days after, the probably coincidental, reduction in energy levels after the first one.

NZC
    your father and mine might have met up at some point :)
    In all the fake stories we hear about Britain standing up to Axis forces the huge contribution of  Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other Empire/Commonwealth countries are sadly often overlooked.

well done on a hilly 21K - that should keep you honest :)  What was the recovery like?

alehouse
    well done on getting out to the pub - please your recovery let you do it!!  Hope the beer wasn't too cold.
    I must start measuring distances in K's it looks so much more impressive than miles.  But maybe old dog and all that........

WP
    sounds an interesting run and good to mix it up with some different training for a change.

Another one of the perfect running mornings here this morning so I set out to do the posted Hash trail which fortuitously passed within 100m of my door. So 4 miles done in 42 min with 130m of climb on often rough and bone dry trails left me feeling pretty knackered so maybe this post jab thing is real - or I am just getting old really quickly!!

• Afternoon,

It must be the post jab Torque :)

I ran 5 miles today nice and easy and all went well.Although I have fatigue today I came back and needed to go to bed for an hour as so exhausted.I perked up and been to village for supplies.Pub beer garden was full!

Tomorrow I have to do a 4 mile assessment so similar to threshold except I run 2 miles as fast as I can.Will be interesting better run on cycle track rather than the hills or I will never hit the HR pace.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    A half mara in anyone's money is a worthy sum.
    I have always been very consistent with my running but things are always relative. Compared to my youth what I do is not running but compared with other men in their 70s I am happy with what I can do.

Alehouse,
    Let's not talk about Spurs.

WP, 
    your programme sounds nice and complicated just up my street. Good luck with your assessment.

TS,
    I don't get my second jab until August but had no ill effects from the first one.
    Your run sounds a treat.

Return to the cold again, really didn't feel like putting on all the kit including double gloves so back down to the mancave. 
    5.4k with an average WHR% of 75 which translated to a 6:30 km pace.

Dentist this afternoon, I haven't been for over a year so I doubt it will be fun.

Mick
  • WP
    I missed the full stop after supplies and thought you had been to the pub for supplies :)
    Hope your tempo session goes well

Mick
    you are getting big weather swings just now whereas ours has been stable for a month - cold nights, sunny days but it may be about to change.

I am trying to find an excuse for the drop off in performance other than ageing :)!!
    It has been a bit of a steep cliff recently.

Slightly warmer this morning due to cloud cover as I ran 4 miles in 40:28 (10:11m/m) with avHR 128 and a max of 142 so felt a little better although the hills are still a drain on energy
    Passed a bus queue of elderly folk waiting patiently for a bus into town - realised they were all probably a lot younger than me :)

• alehouse
    it is getter closer for the Foxes :)!
  • Mick: The website is:https://beta.trainasone.com/ if you fancy a look so far I have been impressed and enjoyed what i have done.

Torque:That would have been interesting getting supplies at the pub :) not such a sunny day today and not been that way so no idea how full it is today.

Great job on run over the hills hopefully energy will start to pick up.Did the oldies at the bus stop pass you on there Zimmer frames :)

Today's run all done there is something nice about just listen to what the watch tells you to do. 5 minute walk warm up, 10 minutes  in set HR then 2 mins at a slower HR  then 2 miles as fast or slow as legs go.I never can run full speed and not with Achilles I just stick to the HR zone which works for me.Mile 1 9.20 pace and then I run back 11.05 it is uphill and I did let my foot of the gas.Then 2 minute jog or walk I walked as Hr would never be in the right zone then 10 minutes jog home. just under 5 miles in total.

I get back and run would not upload I tried everything, restarted phone twice then got laptop out still would not upload, so restarted the laptop. checked if Garmin connect was down online nope.I then uninstalled app and reinstalled nothing but as it was trying to link to watch told me bleutooth was off and wifi on watch!! No idea how as nothing changed with watch.get that sorted and I was going for walk and the stop start button would not work on Garmin so rest it and it worked....phew.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • They were glinting in the sunshine but I managed to shuffle past without stirring them into action :)

Sounds a complex operation to set up your workout on the phone.  Can you not just transfer it to Garmin?
    Having said that my Garmin has just uploaded an update........
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Sounds far too complicated for me, WP!

TS, seems a better run. Let us hope it stays that way. And I was somewhat concerned about The Foxes in the first half. If there are few more displays like that we could well slide down the table. Second half was much better; the half time refreshments obviously worked. Or the team talk did.

Poor run here today. About 20 minutes during which little worked!

Birch???
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Palace are a difficult side to play against if they go a goal up - they are all big and physical and fill up the space with "robust" challenges - putting it kindly.

"little worked" - I can emphathise with that :)

I didn't have much better luck this morning running 4.12 miles in 44:24 with avHR 122 and a max of 134 as I resorted to a couple of walk intervals when the going got tough - tough with a maximum HR of 134, hardly!!!
    • Hope Dave isn't still on one of his long runs........................
  • Dave come in Dave.

The training plan is not complicated at all it is all set on watch as all linked in.It was yesterday Garmin connect was down and then the bluetooth had switched off from watch all sorted.

Today was 10 mins and I laughed at it yesterday.......boy I was glad just 10 minutes this morning as wiped out and rest day tomorrow.I need it as not had one in 6 days which is miracle as been having one every 2 days with fatigue.

An easy day today is called for.............
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Better day running-wise here today to make up for TS and WP's tougher day. 4k largely off road and felt considerably better than yesterday. Each k was quicker than yesterday. HR was lower than yesterday. Course was longer and tougher than yesterday. Strange game this running lark. 

Looking back I don't think I reported on my CT venogram to look at veins in my head. Again was injected with day. Again had a head ache and tingling sensation which lasted until yesterday, almost a week on. Results: all fine. Next step is to get advice from an immunologist. I hope. Unfortunately they are in rather short supply. 

Birch
  • WP

aaahhh - I had not appreciated that the programme was downloadable from phone to watch.
    It's good that it builds in rest/easy days - and that you stick to them!!

alehouse
    good news of a sort on the venogram outcome. It's another potential source crossed off the list but doesn't get any closer to a solution.  
    Where are all the immunologists nowadays ;)?
    pleased you managed to pick up the surplus energy vibes from myself and WP :)
    Improving runs are a feel good factor all round.

Talking of which I ran 4 miles in 39:40 (9:55m/m) with avHR 130 and a max of 142 so it was a world away from yesterday's effort.
    Must have picked up some of alehouse's good vibrations :)

Dave
    you can't have bought that much in the alehouse???
  • Oh yes I am jolly glad of them there is a difference from running every run easy to those sessions .It is so much easier and Alfie as I have called him seems to understand my needs.

Ale: I am so glad you could feed of our surplus vibes :) It is all coming together again for you.

Torque: Sounds like Good Good Vibrations today :)

Dave: have you had one of those fabled lock in's :)

Rest day for me so no running also injection day so I should be topped up with energy just in time for my holiday.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That sounds better today, TS! Long may it be so!

Reasonable 20 minute run here, off road but very dry underfoot. Winter gear: 6 degrees but cooler in the wind. Managed to miss both hail and rain, both of which were short-lived. 

Also managed to do a reasonable stretching session; have not really felt like doing them and I have lost quite a bit of strength and flexibility since the start of Feb. Need to get back to the little and often. Should also think about returning to the gym. 

Not sure that I understand the term "holiday", WP!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    Thanks for the link. It would be interesting to see any algorithms they use to determine your workout.

TS,
    A stronger run from you, what is a HR of 142 in WHR%?

Alehouse,
    It looks like you are getting your money's worth out of the NHS. I too have been going for tests. I still have this numbness in my toes and right hand fingers. The neurologist has ruled out any nerve compression in my spine but discovered bone chips in my right elbow that may be the cause of the numbness in my right hand fingers. Having fallen off motorcycles and bikes and also doing face plants while running on icy surfaces would explain the chips. An enormous number of blood tests later and still no indication as to what is causing the toe numbness.
    According to my GP everything looks normal.

I have been running trails this week as the weather turned warm again. 8k with the boys today along the river, all very pleasant.
    Winter is now over as I have switched the snow tyres for summers on MrsM's mini.

Mick
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    WP
    "Holiday" ?  are you taking advantage of the easing over the border?

alehouse
    maintaining progress - good!
    Lot to think about there - some of it better to think about than do!

Mick
    another medical mystery to ponder!  Did you have an MRI on your spine to rule out disc damage and nerve interference?
    142 equates to 75%  based upon a Max HR of 177 or 79% at 170.  I haven't done  a maxHR workout for some time now so the 177 which was proven by test may have declined a bit.  When I did a few 400m intervals a while ago the maxHR on those was in line with where I expected it to be so I am in the parish!
    If you have changed the tyres it's bound to snow again :)
    In the ol' days I used to love my Mini with snow chains on - could go anywhere :)   But then it was a small lightweight car with skinny tyres.

I was moving very well indeed this morning until, at  just the farthest point from home, my left knee suddenly collapsed with a nasty pain right in the dimple area on the inside of the kneecap.  B*gger but did it hurt!!!
    I had to stop and limp heavily along for a good while whilst it settled down again and then cautiously jogged home.
    So my 4 miles took 43:11 (10:50m/m) with mile 3 taking 12:30 whilst I attempted to sort my knee out.

I can move on it but it feels like it wants to collapse at any moment. If it had been my right knee I would have put it down to floaters getting jambed somewhere but the left is my good one!!
  • My  Holiday is to Tenby/saundersfoot so still in our border .Although I think we can cross over.I am looking forward to running and walking somewhere different.

Mick I agree with Torque if snow tyres are off it is bound to snow.The way it always works out.Enjoy exploring the algorithyms :)

Torque: Sorry to hear about the good knee!!I hope it settles down for you.There is always something to bite us :(

Today a 6 minute assessment so walk 5 mins, run 16 mins at set HR, then slower for 2 minutes, then 6 mins at HR,2 mins walking to lower HR and 12 mins jog home.

I achieved all HR paces except when they needed to be lower after a workout or run.But Alfie has altered the rest of the work outs for tomorrow and Sunday! Ah well I can but follow it.:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sounds like an interesting programme Welshpoppy.

Torque - hope the knee sorts itself out quickly. Bit of a blow especially when you seemed to be coming right.

Mick - your trail running sounds lovely - especially with company.

Alehouse - you sound more upbeat - good to get a nice run in.

Just did Cornwall Parkrun - 26 min 48 sec AG 83.08% think that will be my last hard effort before next Saturday. Think it will be just easy walking from now on - maybe one easy 5km run. Cross your fingers for me!
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    NZC: Well done on a great AG at parkrun.Is Saturday the marathon? we will keep everything crossed for you.

Today  was 4 miles economy run I noticed my HR climbs on hills and out of zone but sorted it out.I was faster than the plan but I was just working on HR.

Alfie changed my plan again...sigh so tomorrow is 11 mile economy run last 11 miler was March 2020 so that will be interesting.

Mile for the week:25 miles and highest this year and 3 up on last week and just 1 rest day.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Excellent new AG record, NZC! And yes, we will be thinking about you next Saturday! 

Make sure that you start off extra cautiously tomorrow, WP. Can you go for a flattish course? 

Was not happy with The Foxes yesterday, although all credit to Southampton after the red card incident: cannot understand why VAR didn't get more involved. 

Slightly better run today: just over a km easy before bumping into some guys doing their Saturday morning TT: the neurologist, a priest and a German protestant minister! Sounds like a cue for a joke. Anyway the priest was the slowest so I ran with him for his last 2 kms and given that he finished in 27: 30 I must have run the fastest that I have since January. Didn't feel too bad. Gentle warm down and chat. 

Hope Birch is out on his long run and pops in soon!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    What a great AG,  to match that I would have to run 22mins, that is just not going to happen.

TS,
    I had a nerve conduction test done. They had some serious kit that not only measured the conduction time but analysed the actually received pulse.  The neurologist said that the measurements did not indicate any kind of interference and it was more likely to be some systematic problem hence all the blood tests. 

Of course, it snowed yesterday but fortunately, it was my rest day so I did not have to brave the conditions.
    Today was another 8k with the boys along the river trail and as the sun was out we met lots of other runners enjoying the river views.
    Two of my running partners are anti-vaxxers so we had a lively debate.

Mick
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Welsh Poppy - good luck with the 11 miles! Yes - Rotorua marathon is on Saturday - I'm feeling nervous!

Alehouse - great to run with people - things are looking up!

Mick - it does seem unfair but I guess there aren't too many old girls still running.
    Your runs are adding up - maybe another go at a 5km could be in order. Are there races still being held where you are?

Walked less than 3km today - it was all about the dog - free running in dog friendly park, beautiful autumn weather - sunny but crisp.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I can understand why NZC but I am sure you will be fine even if legs will be trashed.

Well I am back 11 miles 2hr 16 minutes of torture I was fine till 8.5-9 miles then I ran/walked to get back.Legs are trashed, glutes and legs aching but to be expected.Looks like 12 miles next Sunday on schedule!but I burned 1200 calories!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression